PDA

View Full Version : the eldar scrolls

warlordgrubnatz
23-06-2005, 19:49
who plays these? Ive got morowind game of the year edition. while the graphics arent very good it is an awesome game and ive been playing for ages and havent even started the main quest (im rising the ranks of the fighters guild). Ive never played daggerfall, or the other one- what do you think of those. Also does anyone have info on oblivion?

x-esiv-4c
23-06-2005, 19:53
Bloody awesome game on the Xbox. Working on the 4th "prophecy". Oblivion will be an Xbox-360 exclusive!

wilting_laughter
23-06-2005, 19:59
Oblivion will be an Xbox-360 exclusive!

Er, no it won't. And TES is much better played on PC for 1) Graphics and 2) MODS!!!!!

Try www.waiting4oblivion.com for all you're oblivion info needs.

Kittah
24-06-2005, 05:08
Simply put, Morrowind is nothing compared to the fun of Daggerfall.

It's also "The Elder Scrolls", not "The Eldar Scrolls".

Bethesda butchered the series with Morrowind, IMO.

It'll be wonderful if this doesn't degenerate into a discussion centering on Morrowind though, back with the classics!

x-esiv-4c
24-06-2005, 16:44
I meant console exclusive, it won't be on PS3 or Revolution.

warlordgrubnatz
24-06-2005, 18:00
where is daggerfall st?
what is it about?
ive never played it
by the way, im a little stuck. how do you start the dark brotherhood quest on morrowind gotye.

McBain
24-06-2005, 19:34
the graphics on morrowind can be greatly improved with the mods that are around.

warlordgrubnatz
25-06-2005, 18:46
ive got it on x-box

Talkie Toaster
25-06-2005, 20:47
Bethesda butchered the series with Morrowind, IMO.
Having never played the previous ones (tried to emulate Arena, but it's painful), what makes you say that? I realise Morrowind isn't exactly perfect (in pretty much any aspect of it) but it always seemed great to me.

hairyman
25-06-2005, 21:44
Simply put, Morrowind is nothing compared to the fun of Daggerfall.

I've played both and I have to say I disagree. Daggerfall got very samey after a while, and with the Mod potential and expansions Morrowind really is a very very good game.

Dark brotherhood...a re they the assassins? If so, there's a secret entrance under the bottom level of one of the quarters in the capital city (arena? can't remember which one). They have their base there.

Brother Othorio
25-06-2005, 21:55
where is daggerfall st?
what is it about?
ive never played it
by the way, im a little stuck. how do you start the dark brotherhood quest on morrowind gotye.

cant help with the quest i'm affraid, but as for Daggerfall: its set on the opposite end of the continent from Morrowind, in the Illiac Bay (of which the Kingdom of Daggerfall is one of the major powers), your character meets with the Emperor and he bids you to go to the Kingdom of Daggerfall and ascertain why the ghost of King Lysander of Daggerfall ~ an honourable man who died an honourable death in battle a year ealier ~ is wandering the streets at night, he also wishes you to try and recover a letter from him that was sent to the Queen of Daggerfall but never arrived.. alas the ship you are travelling on sinks in a storm, but you are luckily washed into a cave which is then sealed by mud, luckily the cave has a flight of stairs leading up into a dungeon.. however its even more open ended that Morrowind (no dreams and somesuch, and there are hundreds of settlements and dungeons and such)

gameplay wise its much like Morrowind, only the graphics are a wee bit dated (it did come out about 1996) ~ only the buildings are textured 3D models, the people etc are all 2d sprites, and there are far far far too many randomly generated dungeons and related quests "i say old chap" (the baker says as you walk past his shop) "could you be so kind as to take this fresh apple pie to my next door neighbour? i'll give you some doughnuts if you do ~ oh thankyou sir, you just haven to travel North-North-East for 3 days until you come to a big crumbling castle, just find the door to the cellar and fight your way through 2 miles of goblin and vampire and skeleton infested corridors to find him and give him the pie" :eyebrows:

Morrowind isnt really a true successor to Daggerfall ~ its far too small and not open-ended anought but is still a brilliant game, actually, isnt there a russian guy (or bunch of guys?) who are trying to rebuild Daggerfall using the Morrowind construction tool?

Galonthar
26-06-2005, 14:51
Dark brotherhood...a re they the assassins? If so, there's a secret entrance under the bottom level of one of the quarters in the capital city (arena? can't remember which one). They have their base there.

the thing you mean is the entrance to the center of that other assasin guild (morag tong,.. or something like that), and yes that entrance is somewhere under the arena canron in Vivec city,...

as for that quest,.... is it the thing of the dark brotherhoof assasins that attack you with the tribunal expansion??.... wasn`t there some guy in ebonheart you should report that to? (he`s wearing some very shiny knightischarmour I seem to remember,... it one of those new ones of tribunal)

Shining_Spear
26-06-2005, 15:47
There is also a Dark Brotherhood hideout in the Mournhold Bazaar, where the Ebonheart guy tells you to go.

You can keep killing the first apprentice you run into in the cave to sell his armor for lots of gold.

Talkie Toaster
26-06-2005, 18:49
The only problem with the Mournhold expansion is you actually find traders you can sell ridiculously large numbers of potions and expensive weapons to, if you've got any way through the main quest you can just sell all the junk you've collected and you never have to worry about money again. It does kind of screw the balance a bit.

hairyman
27-06-2005, 13:56
the thing you mean is the entrance to the center of that other assasin guild (morag tong,.. or something like that), and yes that entrance is somewhere under the arena canron in Vivec city,...

as for that quest,.... is it the thing of the dark brotherhoof assasins that attack you with the tribunal expansion??.... wasn`t there some guy in ebonheart you should report that to? (he`s wearing some very shiny knightischarmour I seem to remember,... it one of those new ones of tribunal)

Ahh, yeah. My bad.

There's that dude on the castle walkway in Ebonheart who sets you up with the woman who'll teleport you to Mournhold, where you eventually discover that goblins are a lot harder than you'd think...

@ shining spear: if you want to be selling stuff (including the dark brotherhood armour left behind by the first few assassination attempts) you want the guy in Caldera who buys everything at face value....

Shining_Spear
27-06-2005, 16:02
He buys them at face value? Wow. Usually I lose like a thousand gold selling my Dark Brotherhood armor to Mournhold vendors.

Why are goblins so hard? Shouldn't they be little grunt types, not elite warriors?

Is Arena any good? You can download it off the Elder Scrolls website, but you need a DOS emulator.

Oblivion's AI sounds awesome, for this snippet of a Gamespot preview:

The bookkeeper then went about one of her general goals: training in archery by firing arrows at a hanging target in her room while her enthusiastic dog leaped about. The bookkeeper's aim was off, so she voluntarily quaffed a marksmanship potion, which improved her aim considerably. She also tossed her hungry dog a cut of venison, which affected the excited quadruped in much the same way it would affect a player. The dog then got so excited that the short-tempered bookkeeper cast a paralysis spell on her pet, causing it to tumble to the floor. The bookkeeper then attempted to lie down and go to sleep, but her dog recovered and began yapping excitedly again. So the impatient bookkeeper then cast a fire spell on her poor pooch, setting the dog on fire and sending it yelping from the room.
:evilgrin:

Galonthar
27-06-2005, 17:17
@ shining spear: if you want to be selling stuff (including the dark brotherhood armour left behind by the first few assassination attempts) you want the guy in Caldera who buys everything at face value....
LONG LIVE CREEPER :D (heheh..... I gave him tonns of deadric stuff with my Kajit char, no loss of cash because of bargainin)

BTW,... does any1 know where that alledged "talking mudcrab merchant" is?,... I`ve heard he`s better then Creeper,... I`ve sought the whole map,.. but I neeever found it.. :eyebrows:

Why are goblins so hard? Shouldn't they be little grunt types, not elite warriors?
believe me..... for a low lvl char they`re like hell,...

and well... they do look like grunts,... (drop good weapons,... *gobbo club* :D I remember) but you`ll need to be a higher lvl char to be able to see 'em that way :rolleyes:

Kittah
28-06-2005, 08:08
My main gripe with Morrowind is that it's not open ended enough as it is. I loved Daggerfall's open-endedness and epic-sized dungeons. Most of all I loved the music of Daggerfall. Overall I guess I've got a soft spot for it for the most part. I just never came close to getting into Morrowind the same way I got into Daggerfall.

I agree however that Oblivion will be amazing.

Galonthar
28-06-2005, 11:58
I agree however that Oblivion will be amazing.
the GRAPHICS are amazing,.... there not all to much known about the gameplay yet.... (or at least,... I haven`t heard a lot of it... allthough something like "ride horses" does make me wild.. :P)

wilting_laughter
28-06-2005, 12:12
From what I've heard about gameplay I'm very excited.

Dark Bortherhood = when you sleep to level up you will eventually get attacked by an assain. When this happens you'l get a journal entry telling you to talk to a guard. Do that....

Morag Tong = go to their secret headquarters in the arena canton in Vivec. If you have the right stuff you'l be able to become an assassin (you kill a few importatnt quest linked characters, so it's best to do the Morag TOng after you've done everything else).

DisruptorX
28-06-2005, 15:12
who plays these? Ive got morowind game of the year edition. while the graphics arent very good it is an awesome game and ive been playing for ages and havent even started the main quest (im rising the ranks of the fighters guild). Ive never played daggerfall, or the other one- what do you think of those. Also does anyone have info on oblivion?

Eh? I think the graphics are great. You can also download programs to replace the textures with higher res ones and replace the faces and NPC bodies with more realistic ones.

wilting_laughter
28-06-2005, 18:43
I still find Morrowind very visually appealling, especially the exteriors.

Kittah
29-06-2005, 04:57
the GRAPHICS are amazing,.... there not all to much known about the gameplay yet.... (or at least,... I haven`t heard a lot of it... allthough something like "ride horses" does make me wild.. :P)

From other things I've read it'll be very nice. We've all read the examples of the intelligent-to-the-point-of-retardedness AI, though whether or not these are actual examples could probably be debated - either way it sounds great.

I also think I read about the terrain generating system, where you select major defining features and it plots out the surrounding map in a realistic manner. Something along those lines, at least. Very interesting stuff- looking forward to it and hoping it's not just flashy graphics and editors.

Wiseman
29-06-2005, 10:12
The only problem with the Mournhold expansion is you actually find traders you can sell ridiculously large numbers of potions and expensive weapons to, if you've got any way through the main quest you can just sell all the junk you've collected and you never have to worry about money again. It does kind of screw the balance a bit.

You havent found the mudcrab yet, it took me a while to find him,hes on an island near bal fall from memory. i cant wait til Oblivion comes out, i loved morrowind, but havenmt played any other elder scroll games.

Kittah
29-06-2005, 10:33
If you've got a computer that can handle it (ie. something around 400mhz with Win98 or lower, but not NT) then get Daggerfall - well worth it if you can find it. Sadly, it's extremely difficult to find anywhere other than eBay, and even then it's fairly rare...

athamas
29-06-2005, 11:12
hmmm morrowind.. what a way to wast an afternoon!

worldshatterer
29-06-2005, 15:53
what are the best mods for morrowind?

Galonthar
29-06-2005, 16:27
that RHEDDS mod (or something like it.. :eyebrows: ); it introduces a handfull of newheads you can choose for your char. I`ve also got a couple more (siege of firemoth, propylon index.. etc)

a friend of mine made a cool one too once, it introduced a sort of instant travel method; (y`know,.. like the silt striders, guild guide etc) DRAGONS!!!!,... it did cost more gp to travel,... and the connection sweren`t really usefull.. but it was cool!!

bbut "the best"??... no f*ckin idea

wilting_laughter
29-06-2005, 16:56
There are like thousands of mods for morrowind.......asking which one is the best is just madness.

worldshatterer
29-06-2005, 17:43
i know there are thousands, but a lot of them are probably rubbish or will just make my computer crash, so i was just enquiring what mods people on portent have had good experiences with . And i would like to see some links to the better texture ad skin mods as there are lots to choose from with no way for me to tell which is the better quality .

Galonthar
30-06-2005, 15:15
hmmm... just chaecked which I have:

- Area effect arrows = hmm intresting, and if you`re a rogue there`s a cheap deadric ( :) ) longbow,.. a very nice mod for archers

- master index = usefull if you often enter ancient dunmer strongholds

- LeFemmArmour = adds a female armour to the game,.. not really strong, and doesn`t look realy great (allthough it looks very decorative on dunmer females :D )

- adamantium armour = not worth it if you`ve got Tribunal (that adamantium armour if also added in that expansion)

- EBQ artifact = don`t really know what this is,.. :eyebrows: the description says something about a helm of some sort

- siege at firemoth = if you love to butcher hordes of skeletons... this IS a must,... (a old imperial fort which has been overrun by a skeleton army) the skelies them selves are weak (lvl 1 or something I suppose)for a decently trained warrior,... but d*mn hordes of them can kick some serious (high lvl :eek: )butt!!!

- RheddHeads = simply UBER,.... it adds a series of new (faaar nicer) heads for (almost) all races (both sexes)

- dragon rider service = a friend of mine made this,... it adds a new instant travel system to the game (like silt striders and guild guide) but then long distance traveling DRAGONS!!!!!!,.... could e usefull,.. if you get the hang of the weird connections..

Plaguebearer
02-07-2005, 01:19
I meant console exclusive, it won't be on PS3 or Revolution.

Seeing as PS3 won't be out for 6 months or so after the release of the Xbox360... thats no surprise...

and the Revolution is merely Nintendo's way of committing Suicide...

Colonel Cleric
13-07-2005, 13:15
i played this game, its pretty easy though, within 2 days i was level 45 and had over 300k and over 200 daederic weapons.

A trick i thought of doing was getting the summon deadra spell and summon one, kill it and take the weapon quick, do this loads and youll be rich, then pay for your training....

Falcon
14-07-2005, 15:23
Morrowind is so great it in in fact downright dangerous. It's one of those games that is way past addictive, closer to the 'totally consuming' mark. I'd give it my all time fav rating, to be reviewed as soon as Oblivion is out.

On mods: A good place start is
http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/modcontrols/mods.asp

I have about 260M worth of mods and have had very little trouble. (Do make a clean copy of your datafiles before starting to install mods!)

My favs (relatively balanced) are

AnimalRealism
ArrowDmgDisp.zip
Balmora university (bit unbalanced but fun)
Better bodies
Ebony and ivory is unbalanced but having a 10mm Desert Eagle is a lot of fun!
Wilderness mod by Pumba man
Mod to make windows glow at night
Trader creeper (buy anything and has 100K gold... also a bit unbalancing but gr8 time saver)
fatigueeffects_v12.zip
key namer
marksmanmodversion1.46.rar
NewBedrolls.zip
npcmove[1].zip
Race_Vision[1].zip
WeatheredSigns1.1_0606.zip !!!
(teleporting) Runestone
scripted_spells15.zip !!!
world of faces !!!
mim_hi.zip (hi res map) is also very usefull and because the game is so open ended I would advise having a guide or 2 to help when you get stuck.

enjoy!

warlordgrubnatz
14-07-2005, 17:51
by the way in morrowind i found this corpse near the start with a journal say this guy had discovered a teleoprt spell. anyone know how to make this.

worldshatterer
14-07-2005, 20:14
Erm...iirc the guy had discovered a fortify acrobatics spell which led to him jumping so high in the air that when he landed it killed him .

As for modz, well i've tried most of the ones mentioned and my computer hates them :( .

Talkie Toaster
15-07-2005, 22:36
The whole 'Fortify Acrobatics 1000pts' scrolls. It'll take you a few minutes to land after you use those things. If you just make a fortify acrobatics 100, jump 100, fortify strength 100 for 1 second spell though you can use it to jump miles, and save you a walk.
You do have to be able to cast levitate 1pt/1second shortly before landing though, to take away your momentum. Otherwise even a level 50 character ends up knocked down and on 1/4 or worse health.

Warmaster_Sammo
21-07-2005, 08:29
In the lattest addition of PC Power play the disk that came with it had a copy of Arena, the original Elder Scrolls on it, it was fiddily to get it working but its a bit of fun as long as u dont take into acount the crappy Doom 1 style graphics. It also had the E3 video for oblivion. Oblivion looks incredibly good and the fact that you can ride horses (aparently) will make it even better, I can't wait.

Morph
21-07-2005, 14:30
This game sucked up about 6 months of my free time (well.. when I wasn't playing Warhammer anyway), and I never actually got round to completing the main plot!

But this thread has encouraged me to go back and try out some mods. Noooo..... must resist it sucking me back in!!

As for the Wizard with the jumping spell... some people miss this but you can be walking along and suddenly hear a screaming from above. Suddenly... splat! A man falls from above and lands on the ground in front of you. He'd invented a way to jump thousands of feet, but not a way of landing safely.

Falcon
22-07-2005, 17:52
I thought the Jumping wizard gag was quite funny. :-D

Razerz
23-07-2005, 18:02
I have had TES III Morrowind for about three years and I haven't even complated the main quest, it's a great game, even tought I haven't played Arena or Daggerfall.

Bmaxwell
23-07-2005, 19:14
the only proplem i have with it is walking every where can be a pain

lost the cd thinkign about just buying the big back that has all three exspansions

hairyman
25-07-2005, 15:48
the only proplem i have with it is walking every where can be a pain

get the mark and recall spells as early as possible (ie: as soon as you get to Balmora)... it can get too annoying trudging about without them.

McBain
30-07-2005, 08:23
Just a few shots to let u see some of the graphical improvements for you character...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/McBain/ScreenShot16.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/McBain/ScreenShot12.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/McBain/ScreenShot14.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/McBain/Assassin3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/McBain/2.jpg