PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Virgin needs advice.

Chem-Dog
05-09-2006, 04:46
Hi Ho Warhammer types.

I've never really found Warhammer all that appealing until somebody spoke two magic little words to me (Clockwork Horse, for those who are interested) and I decided the new edition of Warhammer would be a reasonable place to start, now I know the Empire Army Book is one of the first books to get the post update rejig (and therefore exact details aren't confirmed) but I'm interested in two different themes and I'm wondering which you guys would be most workable and most fun.

Servants of the God of the Dead
Basically Knights or Morr (by far the coolest Warhammer God) having rounded up some local militia in order to defend against/hunt some diabolical liche and his cadaverous horde.
Engineers Guild
Lots of the new wizbang technology the Empire had gained (including that Metal Pony) that I've read about in the rumours section, no steam tank though.

Any unit advice, army advice, colours and ideas will be greatfully recieved.

Sell me on one or the other.

TheWarSmith
05-09-2006, 04:58
I'd say if you're going for an engineer guild army, that'd be the one time the steamtank SHOULD be taken, as a centerpiece model. It's being simplified a great deal and it really is a fun and interesting piece to bring to the table.

Engineer guild sounds like fun.

Alathir
05-09-2006, 08:17
I'd go with the Engineers Guild, makes for some great conversion oppurtunities. I agree with Warsmith; if i took on an empire player with an Engineer's Guild army, I wouldnt have a problem with him taking the steam tank. Especially with its new rules which apparently will lessen complaints.

Pravus
05-09-2006, 09:09
As a counterpoint to the Engineer Lovers - take the Knights of Morr! What's not to love about a bunch of heavily armed religious nutjobs and a horde of unwashed peasants all looking for perceived "wrongdoer" to "redress their manifest errors" with the aid of 12 foot of pointy stick and some sharpened gardening implements? Its the stuff of Frankenstein movies - think angry torch and pitchfork wielding mobs, think religious automaton killing machines in the mould of the Knight's Templar shouting "Kill them all, Morr will know his own" [sic], think slavering mobs strapping helpless old women to stakes for no more reason than they have a moustache, a body odour problem and too many cats (OK, maybe don't think that bit). Now - tell me you don't want that army, tell me you're not grasping you credit card in your clammy hand banging on the door at Warhammer World demanding to be let in to spend your money, TELL ME YOU DON'T WANT IT NOW!

Do it, you know you want too!!!

Lumpsack
05-09-2006, 12:54
Hmn, great ideas - visually the guild sounds better, but if you fancy harassing your opponent with calls of HERITIC! Burn in the fires of your own damnation, then Morr is your guy :D

ThousandPlateaus
07-09-2006, 19:28
Engineers! You get a Clockwork Horse!
No idea what it is, or looks like, but it sounds ay-may-zing.

TheWarSmith
07-09-2006, 19:32
gives a 2+ save(not +2, but 2+), but that's all I know.

So many great conversion possibilities for the engineer guild. And yes, I hear the new steamtank won't be as much of a pain in the ass having to consult its rules every time it does anything or has anything done to it.

NakedFisherman
07-09-2006, 19:36
Hmn, great ideas - visually the guild sounds better, but if you fancy harassing your opponent with calls of HERITIC! Burn in the fires of your own damnation, then Morr is your guy :D

Followers of Morr are definitely much more sombre. Also, they have nobody to call 'heretic' as they believe everyone goes to Morr's realm.

samw
07-09-2006, 19:42
Both. Heck it's what I'm essentially doing with my Holy Handgunners. Did someone say techpriest? :p Let the heretics burn in alchemical fire. The undead die to canonballs and bullets as easily as swords.

lord_blackfang
07-09-2006, 20:32
I don't know about army choice, but "Warhammer Virgin" ceratinly has a ring to it.

(PS: I'd go with Morr simply because I think it's less common)

Neknoh
07-09-2006, 20:58
Go for Morr simply so you can have THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyS3weMlxLA) as your themesong if you use a mad judge as the leader for your Knights of Morr warband.

Or, you can have your peasants with a tied up "witch" as their banner and a text on the front of their movement tray saying "We found a witch, may we burn her?"

Chem-Dog
09-09-2006, 05:29

Apparently it shoots lasers out of it's eyes too *shrug*

Followers of Morr are definitely much more sombre. Also, they have nobody to call 'heretic' as they believe everyone goes to Morr's realm.

I'm inclined to agree with you here. I imagine the Morr Knights as being dedicated to destroying Necromancers and their works, obviously they won't turn down a scrap with some Gobbos or Beastmen should it be required, but they would be dispatched to deal with reports of the restless dead.

I'm being swayed towards a Morr oriented (Morriented?) force. Where in the Empire is a really good place to find Necromancer types?
What units could I feasably include in this force? I want to create an army that has a narrative, all units in the army need to work on both the "useful" and the "believable" front, no Master of the Order mounted on a Griffin or bank of Wizards. Can Empire Wizards still get access to death magic?

zak
09-09-2006, 08:21
In answer to your questions.

1. Sylvania is a good place to start in the Empire. It's were most of the Undead are from and there's bound to be a necromancer or two lurking about.
2. The units that will look good are flaggellants (mad men who are frenzied and belive the world is about to end), free companies as they look less regimented and maybe a witch hunter or two in the form of a warrior priest (Priest of Morr on foot?).
3. Death magic is one of the eight colleges, so Yes.

Hope this helps,

Z

ThousandPlateaus
09-09-2006, 21:55

So many great conversion possibilities for the engineer guild. And yes, I hear the new steamtank won't be as much of a pain in the ass having to consult its rules every time it does anything or has anything done to it.

I'm so stupidly excited about this thing - they better make it look cool!
I don't even have an Empire army (or intend to start one) but I bet a WH =][= would look absurdly amazing on top of one (provided they make it look like a clockwork horse!)

On topic - I had a Priest of Morr WHFRP character who later mutated into a WHQuest character, and armies of Morr are very characterful, so I can't say I can truly sway one way or another...

You could always try and find a way to combine the two... perhaps your army of Morr has found something, or someone truly abominable and has requested that the finest munitions of the Empire accompany them to finally drive out this creature for good... or something...