PDA

View Full Version : the new Orc Warboss sprue.

Dawn of the Dogs
05-09-2006, 11:56
first off, let me just say, im a 40k player first and foremost, and i havent touched a game of fantasy in almost 2 years, but after seeing the new sprue, i was very impressed. so impressed, that i practically begged the manager of my local GW to let me put it together. and he did, and im holding the little beauty in my hands right now. :D

as far as options go, you can have either mounted or on foot.
2 hand weapons, a 2 handed weapon, hand weapon and shield or pigsticker and shield.
2 bodies and 3 head variants.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/ddog2/RIMG0851.jpg

UltimateNagash
05-09-2006, 12:59
I know you can have both can't you. And yes, it's a very nice spruce. Welcome back to the world of Yesterday!

Dawn of the Dogs
06-09-2006, 11:21
hmm, something you should know. the boar has a rather severe gap problem that runs along its belly.

be prepared for some major greenstuffing.

MadJackMcJack
06-09-2006, 11:33
Yea, I noticed that on the one the store is painting up. Very annoying.

Giladis
06-09-2006, 11:58
If you carefuly look at the sprue you will see 2 torsos actualy meaning you can get a guy on boar and on foot. What I can't see is where are the legs of the mounted guy?

truthsayer
06-09-2006, 12:39
If you carefuly look at the sprue you will see 2 torsos actualy meaning you can get a guy on boar and on foot. What I can't see is where are the legs of the mounted guy?

they're already stuck to the boar.

Sedekiel
06-09-2006, 13:25
Is there any chance that a sprue like that could come out for every race to eradicate the BSB's mini issues?

Dawn of the Dogs
06-09-2006, 13:43
Is there any chance that a sprue like that could come out for every race to eradicate the BSB's mini issues?

i believe that it will be GW's intention to do so.

TheWarSmith
06-09-2006, 14:11
I'd expect "make it yourself character box" for most armies out there. Expect the ones that just got tons of metal characters to be last(wood elves, dwarves, high elves).

But it's been confirmed that empire will have a box like this, and it's all reminiscient of the space marine commander.

Dawn of the Dogs
06-09-2006, 15:27
and now, the fruits of my labour:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/ddog2/RIMG0868.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/ddog2/RIMG0866.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/ddog2/RIMG0869.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/ddog2/RIMG0870.jpg

hiram
06-09-2006, 15:44
I love the new model for the warboss I already have one for my self and had a blast painting it the only kicker is the chainmail detail on the boar is a little soft.

DisruptorX
06-09-2006, 16:15
There seems to be alot of open, detail-less space and very shallow details. Kind of reminds me of the 4th edition plastics, or the WH Quest ones...

hiram
06-09-2006, 16:18
there is a lot of flat space but I for one like it compared to the fluffy war boars that we have now.

lord_blackfang
06-09-2006, 16:43
I'd expect "make it yourself character box" for most armies out there. Expect the ones that just got tons of metal characters to be last(wood elves, dwarves, high elves).

But it's been confirmed that empire will have a box like this, and it's all reminiscient of the space marine commander.

Actually the Rumour Roundup says Dwarfs are the next to get a plastic character. Although I don't know how they intend to squeeze him in between Orcs and Empire.

EDIT: Unless the Thane in BfSP counts :rolleyes:

gorenut
06-09-2006, 19:38
Anyone know how it would look if you plug in a normal Orc torso on to the boar? Tempted to make boar riders with this set since that orc doesn't really look like a warboss.. a boss at most.

WarSmith7
07-09-2006, 03:09
Anyone know how it would look if you plug in a normal Orc torso on to the boar? Tempted to make boar riders with this set since that orc doesn't really look like a warboss.. a boss at most.

I was thinking the same thing, I wonder how much this set costs?

Boar boy big'uns, mmm...

Personally, I like the options you can get from this Warboss sprue, with a little greenstuff here and there I can see the potential to make a very dynamic Hero/Lord.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
07-09-2006, 08:18
I'll probably use this set for 40k Nobz when I get around to selling my IG and buying myself a nice ork army.

Right now, my warboss models are still bigger...and badder...with bigger weapons (and a hella lot greener too!). Maybe I'll make 'em unit champions or something.

Pravus
07-09-2006, 09:20
That will be one expensive units of boar boyz - the boar is an integral part of the sprue so that's £12 a boar?

Dawn of the Dogs
07-09-2006, 12:39

when you see the new mini for Grimgor Ironclaw, then you'll go, "now THAT"S a warboss!"

Avian
07-09-2006, 12:52
If you gopher around you can scrounge up parts from the regiment set as well (you get one set of riding legs) and make plastic Boar Boyz that way. I did that and used the metal command bitz that came with the Boyz sprue in the old days.

UltimateNagash
07-09-2006, 13:16
So, who's going to paint their boar silver and stick lots of junk on it to make the Cyber Boar thing in the new book?

Avian
07-09-2006, 13:19
I don't really want to spend a third of the itme quota of my lord on getting a boar with impact hits, even if it's only 11 pts more than the living version - I'd much rather take a normal boar and use my quota on something else.
(provided there is something else I want to spend my item quota on, that is...)

Fabiusbile
07-09-2006, 15:03
I really like the new sprues and I'm impressed with the work of Dawn of the Dogs. Is there a picture of The enw Grimgor in the new Armybook or is he doomed like Azhag to appear in a year? So far I haven't seen anything.

@ Avian: Do you know if the old " commando bitz" can still be ordered? If I remmeber correctly it was a strange head, a weaponarm with a huge Choppa, a Totem with some heads on it and a nice horn. I'd love to get some of those horns to get rid of all that bongos in my army. I couldn't find them in the german online store...

Gorknoth
07-09-2006, 16:31
Now these bitz would be something to stuck on an Ogre Tyrant.. :P

UltimateNagash
07-09-2006, 17:19
I don't really want to spend a third of the itme quota of my lord on getting a boar with impact hits, even if it's only 11 pts more than the living version - I'd much rather take a normal boar and use my quota on something else.
(provided there is something else I want to spend my item quota on, that is...)

Oh, it's a Magic Item...Damn!

||-MARKO-||
07-09-2006, 21:02
the mounted one reminds me of jason voorhees...

*shivers*

DeathMasterSnikch
07-09-2006, 21:10
So, who's going to paint their boar silver and stick lots of junk on it to make the Cyber Boar thing in the new book?

Pah! That will look both tacky (Unless the boar is scratch built I doubt it will live up to the potential of the robo-pig) and puny.

I'm getting myself a chaos juggernaught and making it orcy :evilgrin:

Falkman
08-09-2006, 18:45
Is there a picture of The enw Grimgor in the new Armybook or is he doomed like Azhag to appear in a year? So far I haven't seen anything.

I'm not so sure Grimgor will even get a new model, the current one is still really good.

DeathMasterSnikch
08-09-2006, 20:09
I'm not so sure Grimgor will even get a new model, the current one is still really good.

Indeed, no new model that I've heard of. No need either, the old one does justice to him.

squiggoth
08-09-2006, 23:25
If you gopher around you can scrounge up parts from the regiment set as well (you get one set of riding legs) and make plastic Boar Boyz that way. I did that and used the metal command bitz that came with the Boyz sprue in the old days.

I did the same thing - one Orc Command sprue costs less than a metal Boar Boy, and for that price you get a plastic Boar Boy, a Boss, and a regular Boy. The Boss makes a perfect Black Orc (it's the same size and has a similar helmet, so only needs a few bits of green stuff armour to make it look Black Orcish) so the Orc Command Sprue saves you quite some money .... I ordered 12 of them once. And 12 Boars. :D

The new Warboss sprue doesn't impress me at all, the Orcs on it are way too weedy to be Big Bosses or Warbosses, more like Boyz in lots of (nice looking) armour. At first I was planning on buying a few of them to mix the bits with my (Boar) Boyz for some much-needed variation, but at 20,- per sprue I'll probably get no more than one, to subtly spice up my Command models (the boar will look good as a mount for a Boar Boy Boss).

fizzelopeguss
09-09-2006, 00:01
It's a decent orc, but these plastics make the least inimidating warbosses i've seen in a long time.