PDA

View Full Version : Wizards joining units in order to get into spell range

chivalrous
05-09-2006, 12:39
A wizard behind a large unit of friendly troops (say 6x6) used his full movement to reach the unit and join them.
The rules state characters must be placed in the front rank so the wizard then got a free ~3" move to the front of the unit.

Now while extremely cheeky and irritating as it put the wizard in fireball range of my own troops I couldn't find anyting in the rules against this.

What's everyone elses take on this?

Atrahasis
05-09-2006, 12:44
That's how it works.

Quirky, but perfectly legal.

T10
05-09-2006, 13:29

That a wizard moving 3" more than normal being a problem indicates other... problems.

-T10

NakedFisherman
05-09-2006, 16:50
A wizard behind a large unit of friendly troops (say 6x6) used his full movement to reach the unit and join them.
The rules state characters must be placed in the front rank so the wizard then got a free ~3" move to the front of the unit.

Now while extremely cheeky and irritating as it put the wizard in fireball range of my own troops I couldn't find anyting in the rules against this.

Legal until you play 7th Edition.

chivalrous
10-09-2006, 15:09
Legal until you play 7th Edition.

Really? I can't find anything in the new book that now disallows it.

That a wizard moving 3" more than normal being a problem indicates other... problems.
-T10

At what point did I say it was a problem? Just that it was a bit cheeky.
although I can see some people getting a bit hacked off if a Gold Wizard takes advantage of that type of move to cast Spirit of the forge on their unit of Uber knights.

Festus
10-09-2006, 16:11
Hi

Really? I can't find anything in the new book that now disallows it.
BRB, p.75, third paragraph

Festus

drdenner
10-09-2006, 16:50
Had missed that one too.. thanks Festus

Atrahasis
10-09-2006, 18:25
Hi

BRB, p.75, third paragraph

Festus

In my book its page 74, second paragraph. Weird.

Festus
10-09-2006, 18:28
Hi

In my book its page 74, second paragraph. Weird.
That is *leaving during close combat (or rather not leaving)* in my BRB...
But you are right with the page, though: It is p.74

Festus

WLBjork
10-09-2006, 18:56
In the little book it is page 74, first paragraph (assuming you are talking about a character not being able to exceed their movement.)

However, the third paragraph of the rule section "Joining and Leaving Units" (small book, page 72 last paragraph) says
To join a unit, a character only has to move so he is touching it. Once he has joined the unit, the model is automatically placed in the front rank. Note that a character will inevitably use a proportion of his move to reach the unit he is joining. If the unit has not already moved, its further movement is limited to the fraction remaining to the character.

Festus
10-09-2006, 19:11
Hi

In the little book it is page 74, first paragraph (assuming you are talking about a character not being able to exceed their movement.)

However, the third paragraph of the rule section "Joining and Leaving Units" (small book, page 72 last paragraph) says
Both Rulebooks are completely identical in their rules sectiones, apart from the size. Pagination is identical as well.

And it is p. 74, third paragraph (although the first is incomplete and already starts on the page before, so you may or may not count that).

It is the last paragraph of *Joining and Leaving Units*.

Festus

WLBjork
10-09-2006, 19:32
I'm not going to argue, they've done a good job of matching the rules up with the shrinkage, but the paragraphs seem to be one or two off between versions. Indeed, I have seen claims in a couple of other threads of details which I cannot find in the small book.

Festus
10-09-2006, 20:01
Hi

I have both here next to me, and they are identical from p. 2 to p. 122, apart from the size.
(Page 1 is different, though: In the small book, it is the page that is the last of the starter in the large one. In the large one, it is a drawing.)

It is quite easy to change the size of a pdf.file at the printer's, you know. :)

GodHead
11-09-2006, 02:19
"The most important thing to remember when a character joins/leaves units as part of his move is that the character cannot use the fact that he is joining/leaving units to extend his move beyond the distance he could have moved if he was simply moving on his own."

Rulebook P.74