PDA

View Full Version : My WIP website - Opinions

stormtrooper154
05-09-2006, 15:53
Hi, I decided to make my own website for my armies featuring galleries, background and campaing downloads.

I only started it this afternoon so its still very much wip.

My site (http://dark-stars.moonfruit.com/)

Thanks

xibo
05-09-2006, 16:14
regarding the fact 3 people made it onto your site, you might want to post the link there into your post, since your signature has two of them.

stormtrooper154
05-09-2006, 16:24
Ive edited the first post, and made some changes on the site. Im quite pleased with how its turned out so far. I will be taking some more pictures in the near future.

cookiescrumble
05-09-2006, 16:31
-Unofficial is spelt wrong.

-Also after you say "Swords of Retribution", it should say, "including background and campaign information for both armies."

What you have is very badly written.

-The picture on the front page is very blurry, i would get another or try and reduce the blur in editing software.

-Maybe a bit about yourself would be good, not too much. How long you've been in the hobby, what games you play etc.

Apart from those points can't really say much.

Outlaw289
05-09-2006, 16:34
It needs work. Clearer text, clearer pictures, and, well, more content would do it good.

stormtrooper154
05-09-2006, 16:37
-Unofficial is spelt wrong.

-Also after you say "Swords of Retribution", it should say, "including background and campaign information for both armies."

What you have is very badly written.

-The picture on the front page is very blurry, i would get another or try and reduce the blur in editing software.

-Maybe a bit about yourself would be good, not too much. How long you've been in the hobby, what games you play etc.

Apart from those points can't really say much.

All points taken on board. As I said, very wip.

Kinda got the impression you were being rude..... :eyebrows:

lord_blackfang
05-09-2006, 16:39
1) Flash is crap
2) Hard to read, get normal HTML text in there so I can enlarge it if I want
3) Flash is crap

stormtrooper154
05-09-2006, 16:51
1) Flash is crap
2) Hard to read, get normal HTML text in there so I can enlarge it if I want
3) Flash is crap

Thanks.

Could you be more specific about the crap flash? Im no pro at this so if you know a way i can do it better, tell me how ;)

Ive enlarged the text, I agree it was hard to read being so small.

As for content, I only started this afternoon so its very early yet.

Blurry picture has gone. I am using what I have available. I will be taking fresh photos next week (battle scenes etc).

Outlaw289
05-09-2006, 16:56
If you can, photoshop those pictures into cool scenes. Some people think thats dumb but I like it.

stormtrooper154
05-09-2006, 17:05
Unfortunately I dont have photoshop. Its looking a bit clearer now that Ive changed the font and its size.

Kriegsherr
05-09-2006, 17:20
Flash is seen in the webdesign community as beeing an overused and abused tool to make a website long to load, hard to read and very easy to hide the fact that theres not much content on it.

Its not used very eagerly anymore by pro webdesigners, as a lot of bad designs with flash has given it a bad name and have showed the conceptual flaws of overdynamic websites.

I have to say, the whole thing is a little bit to... dark and black for my liking.... esepcially because your images also rather are on the dark side (not the one with the cookies)... and, small wonder, your paint jobs also are very dark... obsessed with black eh? :) I know the problem, have it too....

But try to give a little bit of contrast.

Also always consider that its better for the eye to read black on white instead of white on black... But then again, this is nothing I will promote on a board like warseer ;)

I would say you don't overabuse flash... just remember, keep the dynamic part low.... no rotating stuff everywhere, it makes concentrating on the actual content harder.

stormtrooper154
05-09-2006, 17:41
Thanks. I am trying new designs on there all the time. I didnt think Id gone overboard with the flash - theres no spinny things on my site :)

cookiescrumble
05-09-2006, 19:44
Kinda got the impression you were being rude..... :eyebrows:

Not at all, you asked for opinions and i gave mine. Sorry if i gave the wrong impression.