PDA

View Full Version : Is warhammer worth it?

Drogmir
05-09-2006, 17:12
I currently play warhammer 40K Sm and Necrons and I've been thinking of starting a dwarf Warhammer army. Is it worth it?

Punk_in_Drublic
05-09-2006, 17:17
Yes.

Later,

-Punk

TheWarSmith
05-09-2006, 17:29
There are tons of threads on intro warhammer that pop up every couple days such as "i'm new to warhammer, tell me a bit about it".

I'm not going to go into details, but I was a convert from 40k and I've never looked back. 40k just looks goofy to me now. fantasy is SO much more tactical and strategically oriented, it's not even funny. SUCH a better game system.

m1s1n
05-09-2006, 17:37
Yes.

Later,

-Punk

Quoted for truth.

NakedFisherman
05-09-2006, 17:38
There's nothing more gorgeous than a fully-painted WHFB army.

DjtHeutii
05-09-2006, 18:09
I think so.

I find that it has more tactical depth then 40k and I happen to prefer the Fantasy setting over the Sci-Fi one.

I like the races and the background and I like modeling so putting together and painting lots of troops is cool by me. :)

DeathlessDraich
05-09-2006, 18:26
Tactical depth? Sounds too strong.
Lots of army specific tactics, lots of rules to remember but general tactics - not much really.
A game of real tactical depth - Chess anytime!

General Veers
05-09-2006, 18:44
Lots of army specific tactics, lots of rules to remember but general tactics - not much really.
A game of real tactical depth - Chess anytime!or, if you want to use your WFB miniatures and play a tactical game try Armies of Arcana (http://www.thanesgames.com/) check out a good forum here (http://rajdhillon.forumup.ca/forum-2-rajdhillon.html). :cool:

Regarding board games, THE GAME OF GO (http://www.intgofed.org/) trumps chess regarding tactical depth and popularity. ;)

But nothing, nothing, beats GW WFB or 40K for miniatures table top opponents. :evilgrin:

Dat Wildboy
05-09-2006, 19:03
i love it. plus the fact they don't focus on any particular race in fantasy, whereas 40k, if you don't have space marines, you're nothing!

i love the look of each army, the tactics of course and that games last much much longer. most armies are 2000pts and above which i have seen, whereas 40k 1500. warhammer fantasy works at a larger level and allows the rules to still work at very high point games instead of using the simple yet restrictive 40k force organisation chart.

for epic battles and extrodinary monsters, lots more characters and magic taking a larger role unlike in 40k, warhammer makes a much better gaming system.

EvC
05-09-2006, 19:13
Dwarfs are certainly worth starting, pick up the new game and you'll have a few units and decent models to get you started! Then add a battalion and you'll have a very solid thousand point set for full games.

DjtHeutii
05-09-2006, 19:33
A game of real tactical depth - Chess anytime!

I said more tactical depth then 40k, not that it had more then any and all other games :rolleyes:

Drogmir
05-09-2006, 19:57
But the problem is that I like the 40k setting more. I'm thinking should I pick up the start set? or should I pick up a battalion of what I want and the limited edition rulebook?

lord_blackfang
05-09-2006, 20:18
I currently play warhammer 40K Sm and Necrons and I've been thinking of starting a dwarf Warhammer army. Is it worth it?

Well worth it. I'm primarily a 40k player and always will be, but I'm also in the middle of collecting my 3rd WHFB army (Dwarfs of course :angel: ). It's a very different game, perfect for a change of pace.

DjtHeutii
05-09-2006, 20:24
But the problem is that I like the 40k setting more. I'm thinking should I pick up the start set? or should I pick up a battalion of what I want and the limited edition rulebook?

Well, unless you are planning on using the models from the starter set, or you can sell them off, I'd suggest getting the regular hardcover (unless you are really into getting the LE hardcover or can get the Gamers Ed set) and buying a Battalion box for whatever army you like.

MarcoPollo
06-09-2006, 05:05
If you want to start fantasy, then find a set that suits your taste. If you feel drawn to dwarves then go for it. They are a pretty forgiving army if you make some tactical mistakes. Lizardmen too can be alright for starting out. Especially if you come from 40K. You can create a 40K like skink army that will allow you to take with you some of the rules you already are familiar with.

n00bLord
06-09-2006, 05:17
From what I understand dwarves (friend uses them) get boring to play against. And they get repatitious if you don't play an agressive force. 40k and WHFB are both tactically different and cannot be really compared. 40k isn't rank and file. Futuristic warfare shouldn't take aslong as sword and shield.

I play Skaven and enjoy them. No cheese here aswell :) I enjoy both systems, 40k for fatser games with similiar play and I like the Sci-fi setting. I like fantasy for a long night of memorable moments with some one who can be put up with. Like a friend who isn't an ****.

before being set on dwarves check your choices. You don't need to have regrets. Research the other armies you may find something you like.

Drogmir
06-09-2006, 05:20
Well the lizard men look pretty interesting.

But here's my interest list-

1. Lizard Men
2. Empire
3. Dwarves
4. Brit something or other
5. Skaven
6. Chaos
7. Those dead races
8 those Elven races

snurl
06-09-2006, 05:53
Dwarves.

The first time you roll a 12 when you fire the organ gun it will all be worth it.

druchii
06-09-2006, 05:54
The easiest way to look at the two games,IMO:
40K: The majority of tactics lie in what to take during army composisition, and then what to attack, when. That's about it.

Fantasy: Some tactics still lay within army composisition(although people tend to place less emphasis on army comp, as opposed to "tactics"). Mostly, the tactics lie in movement, initial placement of units, concise close combat, combined charges, and baited charges.

Alltogether fantasy is a much more satisfying experience. Alot of times in 40k, I found myself wishing that I had taken a different unit, as it would have functioned better, or just been purely superior. In fantasy, I find myself wishing I had utilized a specific unit differently.

Oh, and:
Well the lizard men look pretty interesting.

But here's my interest list-

1. Lizard Men
2. Empire
3. Dwarves
4. Brit something or other
5. Skaven
6. Chaos
7. Those dead races
8 those Elven races

You forgot the Greenskins (orcs!) and the Ogres(woo!).

It seems like you lean towards the "good" races, and fairly "shooty" ones to boot.
I like empire, alot. You can play them almost anyway you feel. From a massive tide of human goons, to a gunline, even to an elite-ish army with knights and greatswords.

I've always liked the armies that are "more than human". I don't like playing the rank and file goons. If I wanted to hit things with a sword, as a person, I'd hit CrimsonFox with my bokken.

The lizardmen have always had a fond place in my memory (as they were the "new" army when I got into fantasy, long ago) They're also quite versatile. From the block infantry saurus, to the shooty, skirmishing skinks, you can play them pretty much how you want.

Go for variety, it keeps the game fun.

Drogmir
06-09-2006, 06:12
Huh because my problem is the learning curve because trying to keep active in 1 interest without dropping the other is kinda hard. It was like Lord of The Rings vs Warhammer 40K Both are expensive as hell and have different play styles. I decided to drop Lord of The Rings after realising after the movies were over the models would fall into bleh!

Pravus
06-09-2006, 09:06
Another game system is a real commitment if only in financial terms so with that in mind start small. Don't go all out for a 2000 pt army, get yourself a 500 pt border patrol and try a few games of that (border patrol is the fantasy equivalent of 40k in 40 minutes). Not only will you get an appreciation of the key rules, you'll get experience of how armies play without a massive cash investment. Whatsmore, as the games of border patrol are quite short, you can always swap armies with your opponent and refight the battle. That way you sample even more army types wthout spending the cash.

@Dat Wildboy

yarr harr fiddel de dee! if you love to sail the sea, you are a pirate!- lazytown; easily the best show on TV

You've just got a crush on Stephanie you deviant monkey!

Cenyu
06-09-2006, 09:41
The first time you roll a 12 when you fire the organ gun it will all be worth it.

Oh, I'm sure this is a rather rare and precious experience.

Drogmir
17-09-2006, 23:33
Conroy Bumpas!