PDA

View Full Version : Transports for Baneblade Class Tanks?

DogmaRaider
05-09-2006, 17:35
What do the IG transport Baneblade class super-heavy tanks in? Don't they exceed the weight capacity of a Thunderhawk? If you wanted to land in a hot LZ with say a company of Baneblades, what would the IG use?

Inq. Veltane
05-09-2006, 17:44
Well the Guard don't use Thunderhawks anyway. They use Imperial Navy Landers which come in a variety of shapes, sizes and classes. Realistically though you wouldn't deploy Baneblades into a hot DZ, the Guard have to secure the DZ before heavy support are deployed.

Grimshawl
05-09-2006, 18:09
I think with such superheavy tanks the adeptus mechanicus probably have a hand in using drop ships specificly designed to carry them down from Imperial fleet transports, but thats just a guess, and yes I agree with a previous poster in that these are probably never meant to deployee in a hot DZ.

Lord Dante
05-09-2006, 18:42
in the HH books theres a few great passages on how they land titans in these huge drop pods - probably somthing similar.

Dominus Doloris
05-09-2006, 22:14
I agree, but those novels also take about how hard it is to get them back up into space after deployment...

Gen.Steiner
05-09-2006, 22:18
The Imperium doesn't do things by halves.

Superheavies (and basic Guard units) are often deployed by landing their troopship on the ground and debussing from that.

Lord Dante
05-09-2006, 22:18
Well considering thier size it only takes them about 12 hours to get them back into orbit - which isnt bad considering what you just brough down...

I bet thats quite a sight...

Ikkaan
06-09-2006, 11:55
In the second Eisenhorn novel is a side note...its the part about the great parade at thracian primaris, were the warmaster parades the troops through the capital after pacifying the subsector. Eisenhorn notices that the captured Alpha and Alpha plus psykers are transported in personal void fields to contain them. The power generator and the individual void-cells are transported on a flatbed-truck designed to transport superheavy tanks. Guess its preferrable to have a large lumbering monstrosity on countless rubber tires rolling through cities than large lumbering monstrosities on tracks. The ministorium streetupkeeptipicus says thank you.

Minister
06-09-2006, 16:44
The Devourer dropship, detailed in Inferno 8, will also do the job in combat situations.

DogmaRaider
06-09-2006, 17:01
Thanks everyone for the input. I just look at this super heavy vehicles are more strike/assault role and was just wondering how you would get them to areas that you need them in quickly given their speed (both from orbit and ground to ground).

I thought about the Thunderhawk because of its ability carry a landraider, fly in and make a quick drop-off and then leave. It is a risk obviously to fly something that big and valueable near an enemy area but if you really needed, is there anything in the fluff that you would use? TIA.

Inq. Veltane
06-09-2006, 18:28
Not really no. There aren't any fliers big enough that would be risked in a hot zone.

Mr.terminatorbob
06-09-2006, 20:56
They get dropped out of a high altitude ship attached to 50 parachutes and the tank crew hoping and praying the parachutes work. That's all I can think of really.

ancient_conflict
07-09-2006, 10:35
i would assume that they would have to use a heavy transport purely due to the weight as the stucture of the tank would have difficulty coping with the strain of a drop pod or grav shutes a titan can get away with drop pods as they are walkers and they would be able to take the impact on the ground (its due to the legs)

and if you want super heavy's in a hurry you will be waiting as even if they are loaded onto flatbeds the transport would not be that much faster

Guess its preferrable to have a large lumbering monstrosity on countless rubber tires rolling through cities than large lumbering monstrosities on tracks. The ministorium streetupkeeptipicus says thank you.

^^^^ rotflmao