PDA

View Full Version : Collectors Edition...Worth It??

Jim
05-09-2006, 19:27
My CE rulebook arrived in the post today...the box it comes in is massive!!!

My girlfriend thought I had bought anew army..she calmed down when she saw it was only a book!!!

...well until she found out how much it was anyway!!!

I have to say it was worth every penny...it is amazing...the quality is superb and I'm now going to sit down and read it cover to cover...

I'll post again when I'm done...speak to you all again in a few days!!!

WOOT!!!!

TheWarSmith
05-09-2006, 19:29
Is there just more fluff with glossy pages and stuff?

Just seems over the top for me to spend that much on a book, especially as I doubt i'd wanna carry it around for rules references if it was bound that nicely and all.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
05-09-2006, 20:42
I didn't get one so I can't comment on its quality, but I wasn't willing to pay £60 for a lone book no matter how good it looked.

Although I did get the Gamers edition. Mainly as I wanted the smaller rulebook (the small 40K has proved itself invaluble time and again so I guessed the Fantasy version would be just as useful) without buying the Skull Pass set, plus the bag looked nice.

Now its arrived boths books are excellent, the bag is very nice, but I especially liked the bagged dice and the counters set is interesting and something I probably wouldn't have brought on its own, so a nice bonus.

tenpole
06-09-2006, 00:49
If I was very rich i would buy the elite version. But I am not so.

DMG
06-09-2006, 01:31
I'm waiting on mine to arrive from the UK. Sigh...the problems with living in Oz...

johhny-turbo
06-09-2006, 01:36
my local GW has one on display and it does look really awesome.
I'd buy it if I had extra money but alas..

Bronka
06-09-2006, 01:46
Can someone tell me what exactly you get with the collector's edition that makes it worth so much more than the bog-standard version? White Dwarf mentioned that it's printed on some textured paper, but is that it?!

NakedFisherman
06-09-2006, 01:47
It really is awesome.

The fabric binding with the art print (from I believe 4th Edition) is just awesome. The embossed cover it sits in just looks so cool. :)

Scotia
06-09-2006, 07:21
I received mine yesterday and I think that it is really great.
The fabric cover is one of the best covers for a book that I've ever seen and the textured parchment paper just completes the whole package. Is it worth 60? Personally I think it is but i collect rare, out of print and collectors books anyway. I can however see some people being disappointed with it solely due to the price.

Scotia

tenpole
06-09-2006, 08:08
Yes they do look a beautiful book, not the one for thumbing through on the table top with a cup of tee resting on it.

neXus6
06-09-2006, 08:14
That's why I had no intention of getting one. I've used my Imperial Armour 1 book 2 or 3 times for the list and it's pretty beat up, throw an extra £20 into the price tag and the fact it's something you easily need to use a lot, lot, more no thanks.
Now if I could afford the big one and a normal one...:p

lord_blackfang
06-09-2006, 09:06
Can someone tell me what exactly you get with the collector's edition that makes it worth so much more than the bog-standard version?

You get to gloat in front of the other geeks, duh :rolleyes: What other practical value could paying double for gilded edges and a fancy cover have?

Pravus
06-09-2006, 10:22
If you're a proper collector you'd never open it anyway so I'd say its of less practical value than the "free" goblin that came with the last white dwarf. If you're buying one to use as a rulebook then you're the the same kind of crazy that would spend £2,000 on a pair of jeans because they're made by Yves St Laurent but have the same functional value as a £20 pair from George at Asda.

Xavier
06-09-2006, 10:27
Yay, mine should come today hopefully... :D

The boyz
06-09-2006, 11:13
It does look a very nice book I must admit. However even if I had the 60 odd quid or so that it costs, I dont think I would but it.

Xavier
06-09-2006, 15:22
Yay mine came, better than I thought it was going to be, 0125 :)

DMG
07-09-2006, 01:07
Is it true that is comes with a numbered certificate with the number scrawled on by hand & not a brass plate as shown in the pictures?

Xavier
07-09-2006, 10:42
Its a bit of paper that slots into the inside cover of the thing the book comes in and only showing the numbers.

From looking at the picture I'd say it never had a brass plate, it was always as it is now.

redeye
07-09-2006, 18:20
Is it true that you get a headband with it and who would wear it?:rolleyes:

thepoodle
07-09-2006, 18:34
if you'rz gonna buy a 60 quid book your are not going to drag it round to every game where it could get damaged. youd stock it away and keep it in your cupboard, a rulebook should be tatty and used because its meant to be consulted and have its corners bent.
it means you would have to buy two books, a nice one and a game one.
please dont flame me if youve just bought it