PDA

View Full Version : Prefered daemon weapon?

Tymell
06-09-2006, 01:43
Just curious as to which daemon weapon (of the 4 basic ones in the Chaos Codex) people most like to make use of, or feel they would if they did (i.e. if they use one of the power-specific ones, or if they know the weapons but don't make use of them).

Sorry for not including the power-specific ones, but alas that would bring the total up to 11, just over the poll options max.

I myself am a Darkblade man.

DarkstarSabre
06-09-2006, 01:46
Manreaper.

Manreaper.

Manreaper.

Of course if it's a Statured Lord....

Dreadaxe.

Dreadaxe.

Dreadaxe.

MrInsomniac
06-09-2006, 02:05
Dreadaxe is the only one of the 'regular' ones that I use. But only when combined with a statured lord and furious charge. Nothing like striking first and ignoring all saves.

Cosmic_Girl
06-09-2006, 02:12
Hello,

Depends largely on the army and the character. I like Kai guns actually. You give them to a Lord with essence, a power weapon, strength and mutation and he's an excellent unit to sit with and look after havocs and other support units.

But generally either the dark blade for non-statured characters and the dreadaxe for statured ones.

C-girl.

lessthanjeff
06-09-2006, 04:40
I voted Kai gun because most of my games are agaist my roommate who uses all MEQ armies. If I ever entered a tournament or something I'd probably do a dreadaxe statured lord though.

DogmaRaider
06-09-2006, 05:06
Nothing says I want to destroy you like D. Strength, D. Stature married with the Berserker Glaive! :evilgrin: I know, I know... its not one of the ones on the list but you just can't ignore it.

From the four up top, Dread Axe with D. Stature. What, you want a save.... Use Microsoft Word if you want to save because there's no saving going on here.... :D

Seth the Dark
06-09-2006, 05:48
Manreaper simply because I play Death Guard.

lord_blackfang
06-09-2006, 08:34
Stature + Strength + Dark Blade for insta-killy goodness. If you think the Dreadaxe is better, you haven't done the math ;)

BrainFireBob
06-09-2006, 08:41
With Blackfang on that one- although I went Kai Gun.

I've one Chaos army now, and one a-building. The one being built- Statured Lord goodness. The one now? Shooty. Kai Gun on Aspiring Champ- woo7!

And nothing says lovin' like a pair of infiltrating plasmaguns and a Kai Gun. Or maybe that's napalm in the morning. Whatever.

Besides, what's more Chaotic than a squad where a third of the members can kill themselves in your own shooting phase?

devolutionary
06-09-2006, 08:44
I pretty much always go Darkblade, but I don't run stature lords, and prefer the more finesse based narrative to the brutality based.

xibo
06-09-2006, 09:40
I usually go with the warp blade.
Voted Kai gun, because its the only of those weapons i've actually ever used

Kelstonwells
06-09-2006, 10:35
Well the basic four are abit of a limited choice considering the Chaos Power based ones. I'm not a big fan of the Dreadaxe, purely because on a statued Lord its far too good! personally i think the deamon wpns should be more expensive for statued Lords.. around the 40pts mark... and thats coming from a Chaos player! :)

Tymell
06-09-2006, 13:50
Well the basic four are abit of a limited choice considering the Chaos Power based ones. I'm not a big fan of the Dreadaxe, purely because on a statued Lord its far too good! personally i think the deamon wpns should be more expensive for statued Lords.. around the 40pts mark... and thats coming from a Chaos player! :)

Yes, again I apologise, but annoyingly to put them in a poll would require me to leave just one out. While I can think of some candidates personally, I don't think it would be fair. If you prefer one of the power based ones then by all means mention it in a post :) This poll is really just to satisfy my curiousity as to which people think is best.

Goq Gar
06-09-2006, 13:52
Ryan 'quips with a kai gun. It tends to slaughtah ma boys right good.

lomo
06-09-2006, 14:01
Chaos Lord, Dark Blade. Sweet, 2+ marine Killer.

Eblis_Dead_Forever
06-09-2006, 14:46
I never ran with demonic stature as it really made it to combat and when it did usually didn't do all that well. So I rarely used the dread axe unless it was to kill dark eldar lords or wyches or c'tan hunting :eek: (in which case I he had a power weapon and a dread axe), there are few things funnier than telling a de player that his lord gets his 5+ armour save but not his 2+ invun against strenght 6 attacks :evilgrin:. I used the dark blade as with combat drugs/furious charge and strenght I can instant kill without being a bullet magnet. Besides killing marines of 2+ is very useful and when you have a khorne lord with terminator armour, mutation and 2 ccw charging for a total of 8 attacks it's the gift that keeps on giving.:p

stjohn70
06-09-2006, 14:47
Math, shmath Lord_Blackfang. There's too much stuff in game that is immune to ID. I prefer the Dread Axe.
Stature, Strength, Mutation, Combat Drugs (yes, MoS), & Dread Axe make for a wailin good time.

Gen_eV
06-09-2006, 15:17
Kai Gun, all the way.
S5 and a Power Weapon is usually good enough for most uses in hth, but this way I get some decent shooting from a goodly range. Of course, that's on my BL Lord, who's the only surviving member of his army. Playing Alpha Legion now, pair of speedy infiltrating lieutenants instead. Far more fun, as long as you don't forget to take Frag Grenades to a Cityfight.

RampagingRavener
06-09-2006, 15:30
Dark Blade. That, with an extra attack and a re-roll from Spikey Bits can let a Chaos Lord happily mash an enemy squad on his own within a couple of assault phases.

The Song of Spears
06-09-2006, 15:38
The Deamon weapon i use is usually dictated by the army i play, so as a shooty CSM army, I prefer the kai gun as someone so perfectly put it "to baby sit" some squad or another.

Griffin
06-09-2006, 15:40
Dark blade - Because swords look cool on models

SocketWrench
06-09-2006, 20:24
Undivided princes always get the Dark Blade. Having a strength of 8 is everything.

Aquilla
06-09-2006, 21:19
Kai gun.

I also seem to like the bedlam staff for some reason, even though I don't play thousand sons.

Xander-K
06-09-2006, 21:19
Dark blade! +2 str marine killer, great if you don't want your lord to be a target ( put on non statured lord ) +d.speed and still wounding marines on 2+! awesome.

Reinnon
06-09-2006, 21:22
dread axe is great on a demon prince, its currently what i'm using atm.

Lord Aegorn
06-09-2006, 21:28
I'm a fan of the S8 Lord... So I am a Dark Blade kinda guy... But I have also recently been getting great results with a Kai Gun... It's allways funny to see the look on your opponents face when you move 6" and blast two marines to death... "He can do what now?"

Exploited
06-09-2006, 22:02
umm i like the needle of desire...

*hides

alos manreaper 4tw

Wraithbored
06-09-2006, 22:03
Cursed Crozius for me!

GrimZAG
08-09-2006, 11:40
Hey is it possible to give a daemonic prince a greatweapon along with darkblade and daemonic strength, which would give him strength 9?

Griffin
08-09-2006, 11:52
Doubt it, I don't have my codex with me though.

lord_blackfang
08-09-2006, 11:53
Hey is it possible to give a daemonic prince a greatweapon along with darkblade and daemonic strength, which would give him strength 9?

And he would hold the Dark blade how, with his teeth?

GrimZAG
08-09-2006, 12:24
And he would hold the Dark blade how, with his teeth?

I would say presumably in his left hand, with the dark blade in his right. I am only curious about this because it seems to me that a lord can take a combi-bolter and some other assortment of weapon in his other hand, however a combi-bolter is a TWO-handed weapon, as is the Greatweapon. I read the chaos codex and cannot find any confirmation as to what the lord is/isn't allowed to take be it two one-handed weapons or one two-handed weapon and a single handed weapon or whatever. I could neither find this in the Rule book. If it is possiple to take a greatweapon and the Dark blade then of course you would NOT recieve the +1 attack for because the greatweapon is not a single handed weapon.

I don't think that this is a good idea as it reduces the attacks of the Prince, but i'm just curious to see if you Can have a strength 9 prince.

synapse
08-09-2006, 12:31
Manreaper all the way for me :) then again i am a nurgle junkie... The dArk Blade is a close second though

Xander-K
08-09-2006, 14:44
If it is possiple to take a greatweapon and the Dark blade then of course you would NOT recieve the +1 attack for because the greatweapon is not a single handed weapon.

I don't think that this is a good idea as it reduces the attacks of the Prince, but i'm just curious to see if you Can have a strength 9 prince.
no you can only use one weapon at a time, thus you use the +2str weapon or the great weapon +1str in combat, you cannot combine both, its like trying to combine rules for powerfist with lightning claw but not so extreme.

x-esiv-4c
08-09-2006, 14:45
Pssshhh If I can't use a manreaper I skip the daemon weapons.

Yahuboo
08-09-2006, 15:29
ether lance as it can be used as a good assalt weapon before your pimped chaos lord gets into combat !!!!

sliganian
08-09-2006, 17:54
I voted DarkBlade, but I agree that the EtherLance is a good deal. It is basically a 'Wind of Chaos' spell and a powerweapon in one. It is what I ran on my 1000 Sons Lord in a few tournaments (iirc, BP/EtherLance, Eye of Tzeentch, Bolt of Change, Daem.Aura).

For all those loving Stature+ Dread Axe: you DO realize that there is a 99% chance that combo would be nerfed in any revision to the Chaos Codex? Just checking... :rolleyes:

Psycho_Laughs
08-09-2006, 18:02
what about the accursed crozius?!?
power weapon, invunerable save, and it counts as an icon... hard to beat that value.

Xander-K
08-09-2006, 18:40
For all those loving Stature+ Dread Axe: you DO realize that there is a 99% chance that combo would be nerfed in any revision to the Chaos Codex? Just checking... :rolleyes:
why is that? is it not over-powered, other daemon weapons are more effective agains't most units, remember, not many models actually have invunerable saves, so ignoring them isn't a prime aspect for high combat usefulness.

BrainFireBob
08-09-2006, 19:10
Because a Statured prince is a Monstrous Creature, and ignores armor saves on his own.

So a Dreadaxe on a Statured Prince ignores ALL saves, never needs more than a 4+ to wound, unless the bearer's strength makes it less. Since on the charge you can get that Prince to Str 7 pretty easily, (Str 6 standard) it's a nasty combo.

EDIT: The Accursed Crozius is probably the best points value, although it's not necessarily the best Daemon Weapon straight up- it depends on how you use your HQ, kinda implicit in the poll question.

Insane Psychopath
08-09-2006, 19:16
For me it depend.

Kain gun on the Lt (also fit with Iron Warriors :D )

Dark Blade on Lord (none stature) as I find Lord should be tooled up for close combat, also it a million time better than power weapon & D stregnth. Never get why the hell people do that, I mean Dark Blade same points BUT you get +2 strength (s6 in total) great against T3 models, but the DS & PW combo a weaste unless on a Champ.

Dread Axe will be use by my Daemon Prince Lord. Just for the fact 4+ to wound anything with a high T, ignore all saves.

These are the only three Daemon Weapons I would use in a none legion Chaos force, Alpha Legion, Night Lords, Iron Warriors.

While if it Chaos gods armies well that a who other story. I'm about to try out that Death Guards daemon weapon soon, one my force is painted up.

But the three above I would use in a Undidved army.

IP

azimaith
09-09-2006, 07:33
Well Darkblades give you mastery checks. Many chaos players forget mastery checks even though they shouldn't. LD10 is not equal to autopass.

sliganian
09-09-2006, 14:14
Well Darkblades give you mastery checks. Many chaos players forget mastery checks even though they shouldn't. LD10 is not equal to autopass.

Sadly I agree. :(
Mastery checks were put there to balance the weapons somewhat and for theme whilst still keeping the points reasonable. Unfortunately, Chaos players (myself included) all too often forget to do the checks, or we remember two turns later then have to tally the dead and roll about 10 times to catch-up.

So I guess the question is: would Chaos players pay 15-20 points more for a Daemon Weapon if we lost Mastery Checks?

Carcass
09-09-2006, 14:22
Darkblade , only for instant death against characters.
Otherwise, manreaper or berserker glaive.

psychedelicpenguin
09-09-2006, 14:28
Darkblade definately. I'm not a fan of statured princes (yawn), although if I did get one it wouldn't have a dreadaxe. You pay 25 points to ignore the occasional 4+ or 5+ save. Or you could get, say, +1W and +1T. I know which I'd pick...

But yes, the darkblade... stick it on a lieutenant with terminator armour and hey presto, a cheap HQ that has everything an HQ should - a good armour save, an inv save, additional attacks (especially if you add a CCW), a cost of under 100pts, and it's fairly good at chopping up enemies too.

DhaosAndy
09-09-2006, 14:48
Without stature - Darkblade, with stature - Dreadaxe

Azazel
09-09-2006, 19:35
My Daemon Prince always has Stature. So he never leaves home without his Dreadaxe. So what about Instant Death? Your opponent could make all of his Invunrable saves or be immune to Instant Death.

Cheesehead
09-09-2006, 21:53
this whole thread is a testament to how incredibly beardy the chaos lord is.

Terrordar
09-09-2006, 22:13
Word Bearers over here, so the Crozius is my weapon of choice.

lessthanjeff
09-09-2006, 22:17

Guilty as charged. I tend to remember after the game and I tell my roommate but he never remembers when we're playing either, it is my job though not his.

Poisonpen
09-09-2006, 22:22
I voted Kai Gun, not so much on effectiveness but because I actually bothered to convert one so it kind of has a special place in my army. Plus how many decent ranged weapons are available to non-Tau HQ's? I'll take them when I can get them, thank you.

UnRiggable
09-09-2006, 22:31
Dark Blade + Strength and Stature makes a great Tankhunter