PDA

View Full Version : Sisters of Battle and Assassins

The_Patriot
06-09-2006, 07:13
As I was painting up my DCAs in the Order color I picked out for my Sisters army a thought occured to me. Would they train their own assassins along the lines of the Officio Assassinorum trains theirs?

Eversor
06-09-2006, 08:10
:skull: The Sororitas don't have assassins. The officio is a stand-alone organisation, and death cult assassins are "drafted" by inquisitors from ... well, death cults.

The_Patriot
06-09-2006, 08:12
Right but my question is could they use Sisters like Death Cultists. lol

sulla
06-09-2006, 09:32
I don't see why not. In a similar way to sisters repentia, there may be sisters who train as hand-to-hand monsters for whatever personal reasons. We don't know comprehensively what each priory and convent does with it's (wo)manpower.

The_Patriot
06-09-2006, 09:33
Thanks sulla and I'll incorporate death cultist sisters into my fluff for my order.

god octo
06-09-2006, 16:42
ive painted my death cultists in the same colours as my sisters, but the otherway round, so my DCA's armour is red, but my sisters armour is blue and vica versa.

Minister
06-09-2006, 17:58
The Sisters follow the doctrines of the original Daughters of the Emperor. Hallowed battle rites developed over millennia. They do not stoop to the methods of base haemovores.

Short version: no.

Inq. Veltane
06-09-2006, 19:26
I find it amusing that you argued so strongly for sticking to the fluff in the 'Chaos Sisters' thread but now are happy to ignore it when it suits your cool idea. A Death Cult could have close ties to a Convent (same city etc.) but the Death Cults are very much something that the Sisters would find quite primitive and distasteful, it is only Inquisitors who stoop to using them.

The_Patriot
06-09-2006, 19:28
I asked a question and got an answer that said it's possible for death cultists to be sisters. Assassination is part of any special operations which is what my force is built around. That is why I asked. :rolleyes:

Inq. Veltane
06-09-2006, 19:31
You got an answer from Sulla but that doesn't mean it was a correct answer...

The purpose of the Sisters is not to assassinate people. Where they do execute Apostate Cardinals and so forth it is always done publically, so that the people can see that the Emperor Protects. The Sisters really aren't about 'special operations'. They watch the Ecclesiarchy, assist Inquisitors when called upon and guard shrines and relics from attack... Its Storm Troopers who are trained to do special operations.

sigur
06-09-2006, 19:33
Well, it's your choice. It's just not a good idea because it doesn't fit the general SoB fluff.

The_Patriot
06-09-2006, 19:36
I guess Faith and Fire was wrong then since Sister Superior Miriya took her celestian squad deep into enemy territory to get to the bottom of what the cardinal was doing. :rolleyes:

insectum7
06-09-2006, 19:38
Ohs Nos not again! Look, the most important to remember when making your themed army is this:

If your idea is executed well enough, people probably won't complain about it unless their real sticklers. And if they are gonna be hard liners about the fluff, I'd expect them to be equally obnoxious when playing the game, so ignore them.

Inq. Veltane
06-09-2006, 19:48
I didn't say that the Sisters never perform Special Operations, often they do. I said that they aren't trained for it, that isn't their purpose. Of course any squad of elite infantry is capable of striking deep behind enemy lines (lets face it, similar fluff has space marine captains doing that sort of thing...novels often are based upon unusual events not normal ones) but that doesn't mean it is something that they are trained for and devote themselves to.

Could the Death Cult mimic the colours of the Sisters? Absolutely. Would you find Sisters crawling around without any armour on and with power weapons? No.

The_Patriot
06-09-2006, 19:52
I didn't say that the Sisters never perform Special Operations, often they do. I said that they aren't trained for it, that isn't their purpose. Of course any squad of elite infantry is capable of striking deep behind enemy lines (lets face it, similar fluff has space marine captains doing that sort of thing...novels often are based upon unusual events not normal ones) but that doesn't mean it is something that they are trained for and devote themselves to.

Could the Death Cult mimic the colours of the Sisters? Absolutely. Would you find Sisters crawling around without any armour on and with power weapons? No.

It would all be based on the fluff I have in mind. By your logic then there wouldn't be Sisters Repentia since Sisters would never be without armor and armed with an eviscerator. :rolleyes:

My idea was to have a unit that's a step up from Sister Repentia and a step below Battle Sisters something along the lines of Sisters Penitentia. Their crime isn't severe enough to warrant them being placed into the repentias, but bad enough to warrant them being removed from the normal units.

insectum7
06-09-2006, 19:54

Well then what are the Repentia? Oh their just sisters -running- around with no armor and -bigger- power weapons.

Exploited
06-09-2006, 20:12
dont call them death cultists... find another name for them but use DC rules

i use Dca's with my catachan/inquisitorial army - but have them writen in as crazed headhunters

The_Patriot
06-09-2006, 20:13
dont call them death cultists... find another name for them but use DC rules

i use Dca's with my catachan/inquisitorial army - but have them writen in as crazed headhunters

That's what I was thinking and calling them Sisters Penitentia, but use the rules for DCAs.

Inq. Veltane
06-09-2006, 20:52
I don't know, I just find it hard to justify why such a unit would be far better in an assault than Celestians who are supposed to be trained to a very high standard in the martial arts of the Daughters...

Eblis_Dead_Forever
06-09-2006, 21:26
The way I look at this is that people interperate religion different ways and act on the way they percieve it to be. If you look at religion as a whole sects although they worship the same god they have different rituals and methods which they use to show their devotion. So although one order might regard the use of assassins "abhorant" another might actually train them as they regard it as a tenant of their faith to kill the heretic where ever it dwells and by use of any method at there disposal. Thus they would train assassins towards this very purpose. Although there is no existing fluff to support what he wants to it would not be unreasonable to suppose that it is possible.

But as far as I know the only thing in witch hunter army that can use faith points is sister of battle. So he would have to explain why the assassins though they are sisters of battle they can't use faith points. Perhaps something along the lines because they their training is so intensive their religious obligations are relaxed. Or that they have to rely on their skills more than their faith.

Eblis

The_Patriot
06-09-2006, 21:26
I don't know, I just find it hard to justify why such a unit would be far better in an assault than Celestians who are supposed to be trained to a very high standard in the martial arts of the Daughters...

Who says anything about training? Their increase in skill would be only temporary to represent their fanaticism and desire the be redeemed. It could also be the Emperor's will giving them that added push due to their faith.

Eblis_Dead_Forever
06-09-2006, 21:30
Who says anything about training? Their increase in skill would be only temporary to represent their fanaticism and desire the be redeemed. It could also be the Emperor's will giving them that added push due to their faith.

Abit too Deus ex Machina. Just because they devote their lives to the Emperor doesn't mean that this should be the only justification you need when it comes to including something in regards to fluff.

Helicon_One
06-09-2006, 21:32
They could be part of the Order without actually being Sisters - in the same way as serfs are part of a Space Marine Chapter without actually being Space Marines.

I kinda agree with the comments about the DCAs not really fitting with the Battle Sister mentality, but they could be included as a kind of non-Sororitas 'auxilia'.

Tim

Eblis_Dead_Forever
06-09-2006, 21:34
Is that not were they are already??

The_Patriot
06-09-2006, 21:43
Abit too Deus ex Machina. Just because they devote their lives to the Emperor doesn't mean that this should be the only justification you need when it comes to including something in regards to fluff.

Just following the example set down by Sisters Repentia. They get a bonus of +1 armor save plus have two extra movement options and double toughness then regular sisters.

sulla
06-09-2006, 21:44
You got an answer from Sulla but that doesn't mean it was a correct answer...

The purpose of the Sisters is not to assassinate people. Where they do execute Apostate Cardinals and so forth it is always done publically, so that the people can see that the Emperor Protects. The Sisters really aren't about 'special operations'. They watch the Ecclesiarchy, assist Inquisitors when called upon and guard shrines and relics from attack... Its Storm Troopers who are trained to do special operations.

I never claimed Sisters trained to assassinate anyone (although they wouldn't be the first religious fanatic group to do so ;) ). What I was saying was that there is no reason a priory would not equip their best fencers to fight as their skills suited:- in a free roaming cc/support role.

Just because the unit entry is called 'death cult assassin', you don't have to use the models as such. It's no different to Inquisition storm troopers... It's quite acceptable to play them as well equipped mercenaries with armour piercing autoguns (if that's what your models are). The universe is a big place after all.

The_Patriot
06-09-2006, 21:45
They could be part of the Order without actually being Sisters - in the same way as serfs are part of a Space Marine Chapter without actually being Space Marines.

I kinda agree with the comments about the DCAs not really fitting with the Battle Sister mentality, but they could be included as a kind of non-Sororitas 'auxilia'.

Tim

That wouldn't follow fluff since the Sisters are alone in their convent. Everyone inside its walls and lives there are sisters. DCAs are allowable only if you have an Inquisitor or an Inquisitor Lord since Ordo Hereticus can use everything the Imperium has to offer.

Mikko
06-09-2006, 22:31
That wouldn't follow fluff since the Sisters are alone in their convent. Everyone inside its walls and lives there are sisters. DCAs are allowable only if you have an Inquisitor or an Inquisitor Lord since Ordo Hereticus can use everything the Imperium has to offer.
On the other hand, the Sisters' convents are like RL monasteries: they often have villages and towns growing around them as people gather nearby for protection and profit (some is always to be had where people gather). Not all of the associated populace actually lives inside the walls of the convent. This would be especially true for the chapters in charge of protecting the pilgrimage routes, as their convents would be important nexuses of interplanetary travel. And according to the codex, Sororitas often lead militia and secondary defense forces made up of regular people. Perhaps one order happens to associate loosely with a death cult based in the town around their convent, and the inquisitor they work for likes to use that particular cult. Or perhaps the cult consists of former Sisters fallen so far from grace they're officially banished from the order and can hope for absolution only in death...

Ouroboros
06-09-2006, 22:37
The fluff I came up with for my own order has them training their own assassins. Not officially of course, but since they're heavily tied in with recongregrator interests in the ordo hereticus, having a few assassins on hand to "edit" the imperial political landscape as required is only practical.

They're not part of the order of course. There's some rather glaring differences between what the order is about in paper and prayers and what the order is about in reality.

You could probably come up with something similar. My order grew out of an idea for an inquisitor campaign that never was.

The_Patriot
06-09-2006, 22:41
Well I'm thinking of them operating closely with Battle Sisters due to the order's emphasis on special operations to fit in the rules for infiltrate etc...