PDA

View Full Version : Necrons - worth collecting..?

krashovrload
06-09-2006, 09:29
++

It's a simple question - Is it worth collecting a small Necron force (1000 - 1500pts) and if so, what's peoples experience with them..?

Are there must have uints (beyond the troop choices) and are there those units that just shouldn't be put on the field..?

I already have a Witch hunters force, Plague Marines and Iron Warriors - I just fancied something new...

Or should I just wait until the new Eldar stuff starts coming out..? :confused:

++

Darkseer
06-09-2006, 09:49
Despite what a lot of people say, they're quite an enjoyable army, just for the love of god paint them properly and don't simply drybrush silver.

Scythe
06-09-2006, 10:01
Get some variety. Unfortunately for necrons, the most effective armies they can field are also the most boring. Usually they consist of a combination of warriors/destroyers/monoliths and lords with ressurection orbs. Try to bring some variety to your force, and take more unusual troop types, like Flayed Ones or Wraiths. Makes the game a lot more enjoyable, both for you and your opponent.

Kriegsherr
06-09-2006, 11:29
problem is they are very expensive, so you don't get a lot of diversity in 1000 points. Its even more sick in 500 points were you only get the mandatory units... the only thing to choose is what wargear to take for the mandatory lord for 40 points :)

Reflex
06-09-2006, 11:54
necrons rock!

i love the variety they can have even if it is not worth taking the unit. like wraiths, immortals, piriahs, swarms (these are so cool) and flayed ones. all i ever see is a couple of units of worriers and a lord, maybe a tomb spider.

yeah necrons are awosme.. just variety them!

Yarick Zan
06-09-2006, 12:11
its the fact that people are playing the game to win, not to have fun that gives them the image that they are not that great to collect. its these people who tend to be the power gamers. i know i might start one in the future and play it my way and not like everyone says. any army is ceritanly worth playing.

Voodoo Boyz
06-09-2006, 12:12
I wish Immortals weren't so expensive, then I'd probably start collecting Necrons. 30 Immortals for $300? No way.

Scythe
06-09-2006, 13:56
problem is they are very expensive, so you don't get a lot of diversity in 1000 points. Its even more sick in 500 points were you only get the mandatory units... the only thing to choose is what wargear to take for the mandatory lord for 40 points :)

Heh, 40 pts of wargear only leave 1 real option for most players.

Seriously, at such low pts values, you should use combat patrol rules. Nercons are still a bit restricted there, but not as bad. 180 pts for warriors leaves 220 pts free to play with.

grg3d
06-09-2006, 14:00
Hi all as far as playing Necrons, their fun. Not allot of choices for effective troops (HtH type) & war gear, so everybody says their boring because of this, well fighting your opponent with all the bells and whistles is where the fun is at.. As they will most likely know what you have and how it works.
As far as immortals being expensive check out this conversion from the C'Tang support group using regular Necron warriors
http://www.pwl-tech.co.uk/csg/index.php?topic=1724.0

Cosmic_Girl
06-09-2006, 14:28
Hello,

I really enjoy playing necrons, and yes my army is a phalanx (look it up in the tactics forum, I'm sure you'll find it).

Personally I would have loved to see a variant necron list where flayed ones were troop choices, destroyers were 0-1. It would have made for a fairly powerful combat force.

C-girl.

VetSgtNamaan
06-09-2006, 14:31
I suppose it depends on what you enjoy. Though it has been my experience that necrons are pretty much a snooze fest to play against. I personally would not bother to collect them even if they were free. (Well okay maybe then but even then I would probably just use them as bitz for my feral orks.)

marv335
06-09-2006, 14:49
any army that sparks yor imagination is worth collecing.
you can't rely on anyone else's opinion because the only one that counts is yours.

do you like the look/background of the army?
if the answer is yes, go ahead, collect it.
if not, you'll probably lose interest.

Eblis_Dead_Forever
06-09-2006, 15:07
They tend to be a very repeative army there isn't really much you can do with them and alot of the more interesting units eg wraiths, flayed ones, pariahs. People tend to stay clear of them as they are tricky to use and are very much hit and miss. Thus you get the bog standard necron army that most people hate, espically since there isn't alot that you can do about it. If you get fun out of annoying your foes then go for it, it's priceless to see your enemies face when your immortal squad that has had half of his army shot at it stand up again. I've played with the necrons a couple of times and the only thing that has cost me the battle is that I fail leadership tests at the most inappropriate times, usually with leadership ten troops.

The most important piece of advice I can give is never collect them as your first army. Collect them when you have at least one other army that you can use when you get bored of them.

Kelstonwells
06-09-2006, 15:57
Pretty much every comment before is valid.. but I would go with marv335 for that single bit of advice. I think Necrons are great purely for their background and imagery. I play mostly assaulty armies so Crons make a nice change but it is very true that they are limited in what works best in game terms and wargear, but this is also what makes them unique and a challenge to play... and they couldn't be more different than that other army you're toying over.. Eldar! :)

Drogmir
06-09-2006, 16:05
It really depends on wether you want an army with all the choices in the world of an rock hard army where the only color clothing you get is Grey :)

ss_cherubael
06-09-2006, 16:45
Necrons can be an interesting army to play with if you include all of the choices that no one ever uses like flayed ones, spyders, wraiths all those things and dont OD on the warriors and try to do the lord with res orb and 120 warriors like my friend does, but u probably wont have the points to make an interesting competitive army for crons so it might be a moot point. That said i think necrons are by far the worst army to play with and against i think the idea of them is stupid and they were a really bad way to make money.

the new eldar stuff looks good and you could easily do something interesting with the new lists from what i have seen of them (check the rumour forum) i think they are a safer bet than the grumpy old men made of metal.

3 0f 6
06-09-2006, 16:48
funny, people percieve Necrons as boring, yet most of those people probably have an ultramarines 2nd company force among thier collections.......

I used necrons the other day in helping my cousin playtest an army, i enjoyed using them, we ll ignore that i won the battle and shot his army to bits.

I found them fun to use, next time i might miss out the monolith just to take some heavy destroyers, but i had so much fun with the fire power it produced at one point, and that it was a railgun magnet ( i did deep strike it in front of a broadside unit though)

Venomizer
06-09-2006, 18:17
Necrons, like any army in 40k can be as fun to use as you want to make them

you could go down the well trodden route for the army, using a warrior heavy base, with immortals & destroyers thrown in for good measure

or you could go down the close combat route, by including lots of wraiths, flayed ones, scarab swarms etc.

or if psychological warfare is your vise, you could go down that route basing the army around a body of pariahs & flayed ones

Personally, I find Necrons an interesting and fun army to use, and have yet to hear a worthwhile response as to why people think they are boring

Malphax
06-09-2006, 19:22
Don't fall into the Boltgun Metal painting trap! There are quite a few metallic colors, use them all! Chainmail, Mithril Silver, Tin Bitz, the list goes on! Monochrome armies are a blight upon the face of mankind!

But seriously, I like them. I considered collecting them a while back, and I still might. But since there's not really a whole lot of customization you can do, make up for that by converting your models so they look badass. My Necron buddy has some warriors that are rising up out of their base like they've just reanimated out of a mudpit, and some that have an arm/leg that's fallen off and they're looking at it blankly, and even a few 'mosh pit' warriors.

marv335
06-09-2006, 19:41
why paint the metallic at all?
go ceramic. then you can have them any colour you like.

insectum7
06-09-2006, 19:47
Nothing else moves like a Necron army can move, they look slow, but with the right stuff you can teleport circiles around your opponent. It's pretty fun!

Flame Boy
06-09-2006, 20:09
Nothing else moves like a Necron army can move, they look slow, but with the right stuff you can teleport circiles around your opponent. It's pretty fun!

I've got a friend that has just started assembling a Necron army, and while looking through my Necron Codex, I realised they are a lot more mobile than I previously thought. Lots of jetbike-like units, including the Wraiths being able to move through cover, plus as far as I'm aware, two different methods of teleportation, multiple deep-striking units... It seems if you're clever with your army, there is a lot of potential shifting about you can do. I worked out my friend's colour scheme with a rather nice test model, and the DoW: Dark Crusade trailers inspired me to reposition a Tomb Spyder for him, so that's another option for his army.

I'd say picking rarely-used units for their interesting models, background and special rules is a good idea rather than just piling up a necron horde. After all, You don't buy a space marine army just to buy endless tactical marines, right? I'm trying with some success to persuade my friend buy some Flayed Ones because they look pretty nasty, they have a great theme behind them, being absolutely gruesome, and they have infiltration and deep strike, so they can be deployed in a few different ways. I wouldn't imagine they will be great against my Marines, but as I'm planning to get back into Eldar when they are released later in the year, he'll have some softer targets to skin alive.

Eidolon
06-09-2006, 20:36
any army that sparks yor imagination is worth collecing.
you can't rely on anyone else's opinion because the only one that counts is yours.

do you like the look/background of the army?
if the answer is yes, go ahead, collect it.
if not, you'll probably lose interest.

...makes too much sense.

marv335
06-09-2006, 20:46
...makes too much sense.

that was the distilled wisdom of 20 years of collecting ;)

another point is,

and this is very important

choose an army that suits your playing style

if the army look/style of play doesn't suit you, you won't do well with it.
if you don't do well, you'll lose interest.

most players do well with armies because they suit their nature.

Bregalad
07-09-2006, 00:18
I don't play them, they seem to have the least options of all armies though. Anyway, here is a cool designed Necron army (click through all the thumbs!):
http://www.hivefleetmoloch.de/terror_from_the_black_lagoon.php

Scythe
07-09-2006, 07:23
They have the least options of all normal armies. Not terribly many units and almost no unit upgrade options, plus only a single model with wargear access. Having a few not so good unit choices doesn't really help either. Still, if you steer away from the basic accepted necron army, they aren't that bad at all.