PDA

View Full Version : Painted Armies?

primarch16
06-09-2006, 19:13
I'm just wondering how many people take the effort to paint their models? I take pride in having a fully painted army on the battlefeild, but at my local store, I have only once played a fully painted army. And I can say, it did improve the gaming experience.

The_Patriot
06-09-2006, 19:15
I'm slowly working on mine and I've gotten about 6 models done out of 47. The longest one took me 5 days because it was a vehicle.

insectum7
06-09-2006, 19:17
I now have a rule that I only play with fully painted armies. Helps me get more done and definitely improves the gaming experience.

lomo
06-09-2006, 19:17
Well at the mo im finalising my GT army, so it has new model additions but, HQ is Painted, Troops are painted, Elites are painted, fast attack is painted and 1/2 my heavy support is done...just waiting to get a defiler now.

Yes I agree playing with fully painted armies is awesome.

Nabeshin1106
06-09-2006, 19:18
I'm just about finished with my army, i just have to highlight and finish basing them. When I get new models, I like to have at least their first 2 colors on them before I use them to play.

I am one of about 2 or 3 people with fully painted armies at my LGS, and I do like having two fully painted armies on the table.

Brother Muninn
06-09-2006, 19:20
I have a fully painted Raven Guard force, and prefer not to field new units without them being painted.

Most of the frequent players at my local RT are the same way, or at least have mostly painted units. One guy in particular has something like 4 or 5 fully painted armies.

VetSgtNamaan
06-09-2006, 19:21
I view a painted army as something to strive for but well I have a busy life so I do not worry about it if I do not have it all done up when I play. Which is of course where the most fun is for the most part.

Drogmir
06-09-2006, 19:22
WHile I don't mind playing with undercoat useally my store has most of thier armies painted

Inq. Veltane
My army is about 95% done but I've grown bored of it so the last 5% will wait a while. My new project is just so much more tempting to work on... So I'll come back and finish off the Inquisition army later (it all needs to be based and there are maybe a dozen models that aren't finished yet) but for now I can't wait for my new Rangers to arrive.

bob syko
I would never play with an unpainted army, it seems a bit wrong to spend all that money and not actualy paint them, the last time I played with unpainted models was probably when I first started laying necromunda, it wouldn't bother me playing against an unpainted army though.

The_Patriot
06-09-2006, 19:24
Well being new to the hobby I played my first game with an unpainted army up at the GW store here. Most of them were undercoated. I guess with all the people refusing to play people who just started the game what's the point of buying $500 worth of minis and rules if no one will play ya?

ryfitz13
06-09-2006, 19:26
It's funny... I refused to even go into GW with any of my models until I had my first 500pts of marines painted and complete. At the time, I also had 500pts of Nids about 90% done, and refused to take them out of the case for more than paiting.

Since then, I've seen so many partially-painted or completely-unpainted armies that I've changed my own standard a bit. Now, I won't field an army that has more than 2 units that aren't yet fully painted. Yes, it's a rather arbitrary number, but it serves two purposes:
1) It gives me the drive to get the painting done!
2) It keeps me from going nutty and buying too many models at once - I've no desire to drop hard-earned cash on a model I won't even let myself use anytime soon! ;)

kane40k
06-09-2006, 19:30
i have 1 fully painted army and i seem 2 do better with it when i play, it looks more intimadating to a newer opponent as u appear to know what your doing and 2 have been in the game longer (thats what i was told)

but i do do better with it (if that makes senc 2 anyone??)

insectum7
06-09-2006, 19:31
People actually refuse to play you? That's sux. Although I prefer to play against finished armies, if someone is just starting out I'll play them anyways and probably take units that'll help them learn the game better, like jump troops or some tanks I wouldn't normally use. I think that it's an experienced players responsibility to encourage good gaming manners and have a nice example of a finished army.

BrainFireBob
06-09-2006, 19:31
I try and follow a "it doesn't hit the table till it's painted rule"

In practice, I run a "it doesn't hit the table unless all but one unit is painted, and that one needs to be at least half done."

Mainly, because I paint slowly, and I become extremely impatient when I'm so close to done.

The_Patriot
06-09-2006, 19:32
People actually refuse to play you? That's sux. Although I prefer to play against finished armies, if someone is just starting out I'll play them anyways and probably take units that'll help them learn the game better, like jump troops or some tanks I wouldn't normally use. I think that it's an experienced players responsibility to encourage good gaming manners and have a nice example of a finished army.

Fortunately, I haven't run into that situation. I was asking a question to all those people who said they wouldn't play a person with an unpainted army.

lord_blackfang
06-09-2006, 19:34
Painting? I see this word on the forums every so often, what does it mean?

Malphax
06-09-2006, 19:34
My entire army will be painted... eventually. For me the painting gets tedious after a half dozen models or so, so I'll go for another few weeks without painting anything. They are all basecoated or at the very least primed, though. I put a lot of effort into the painting process, so my painted models look better than almost all of the people I play with (except for the professional artist... whose models scare me) and I always remove the basecoated models as casualties first, so my army looks progressively better as the game unfolds. I figure this evens it out. Occasionally I'll get flak from the artsy snobs about it not being finished, but honestly I don't care. I have a job and a life, and 40k is just a hobby.

tuebor
06-09-2006, 20:14
I'd love to not field units until they're fully painted, but if that were the case I'd never have picked Guard. I paint rather slowly because I'm quite busy (job, work, etc.) and don't have the time to paint 125 models (5 of which are tanks) in a timely fashion.

Eidolon
06-09-2006, 20:24
I only have one army, 3.5k of Dark Angels. It took me three years to finish them all, but finally they are done (until the new codex comes around, that is). I have been playing all along while I've been building my force, using unpainted models and even proxies, but nothing is as satisfying as fielding a fully painted and based army that you made yourself.

In the future, I would like to adopt a "paint, then play" policy, seeing as I already have a sizeable force to game with.

god octo
06-09-2006, 20:28
i have, at the mo, about 1000 points of sisters, all painted and based. However, its sort of a mismash of units i got cheaply at the time, and so im working towards a proper list with all my units completed.

brother_fandango
06-09-2006, 20:32
painted models die easier, but the kill more effectively.

Kahadras
06-09-2006, 20:35
I have to get pretty much everything at least half painted before I play. That usualy means undercoat, armour/cloathing, weapons etc. Doing the bases and minor details (such as grenades, webbing etc) can wait IMO untill you have at least a few games under your belt.

Kahadras

marv335
06-09-2006, 20:37
i have several painted armies.
2500pts tau,
3000pts necron,
3000pts catachan,
5000pts crimson fists.

a battle between two fully painted armies just looks better.

and the shop i play in is starting a "fully painted armies only" rule soon
that'll be fun.

cue much whining :D

Xyon
06-09-2006, 20:44
I try to paint as much as I can, I usually burn out on painting though. But my next force will be fully painted.

RampagingRavener
06-09-2006, 20:49
These come up so often...I'm just coing to summerise my points.

-Yes, about half of all my armies are unpainted, and none are based.
-Yes, I play with them.
-No, I don't think a painted army "improves the experiance".
-No, my opponents have never raised an eyebrow about it even though all their armies are fully done.
-No, I've never had someone refuse to play my half-painted army.
-Yes, I'm a very slow painter, but love gaming. So if I only played with painted stuff, I wouldn't be playing at all.

mooserehab86
06-09-2006, 21:02
When I first started out, many years ago, I would field any/all models as long as they were assembled, and just told myself that I would eventually get around to painting everything. Eventually it got so out of hand that I decided I would only ever field finished models, which is what I do now. It's a lot more rewarding using painted models, and I think it's really worth the effort.

Captain Jeffrey
06-09-2006, 21:05
Well, I take pride in painting my models, and I've gotten word from many players that my paint jobs are very good and that my converting ability is great. I guess I can sum it up this way:

Blood Angels- 7000+ points all are fully painted and ready to go. I have like 15guys that are undercoated and I'm working on.

Biel-Tan Eldar- About 2500 points, all of it is painted. I do have 2 Dark Reapers and a Weapon Platform I need to paint up, though, but they don't factor in much as I don't use Guardians a whole lot, and I already have 6 done Dark Reapers.

Tyranids- About 1500 points or so, 40 fully painted Genestealers (I play Space Hulk), unfortunately my best friend kept 20 of them (I would have had 60) when he moved away (he gave me his Dark Angels army,) and about half the Hormagaunts and Termagants are painted. None of the monsters are painted (the Carnifex and Lictor are still chillin' in their black undercoat.)

The army isn't even really "legal" since I don't have a Hive Tyrant. I *could* play with the three Warriors I have, but I ain't doin' that.

Dark Angels- My best friend *gave* me his army, saying he wouldn't be playing for a few years. The army isn't really mine, of course, he's letting me hold on to it (which is probably going to be a good while.) He got almost all of his stuff painted, minus about 10 Tactical Marines.

Chaos Marines- About 1500 points, most of it is "color primed", meaning most of the guys are dark blue and have gold trim around their armor, and black weapons, but no super detail work.

And that's it. I don't like fielding stuff that isn't fully painted. Most at the club I've joined, however, have a highly different outlook.

unknownps
07-09-2006, 01:29
i only choose from my painted models
however most of my painted models are what i call second stage
i.e. basic colours i only ever put major time into HQ e.g warboss
an example of basic would be my tau FW they have 4 colours beside black

oh and i dont EVER base my models, i dont like the look of it, i dont like transporting it and really couldnt be bothered i like the look of the slotta base
ok so maybe i fill in the rest of the slot and colour over it black but thats it

i wouldnt refuse to play someone just because it isnt painted, it just looks better if they have a basic colours like blue armour and gold/yellow trim on pads and face colour where applicable for a Ultra/m and some boltgun metal.. everyone needs boltgun metal

Lancaster
07-09-2006, 02:00
I hate playing unpainted armies, but the truth of the matter is, Ottawa has so few players, if I complained about it, I'd probably never play anyone. In fact, sometimes I even have to let ppl sub in units from other armies to represent units, which occasionally isn't bad, but when half your firewarriors are dark eldar and space marines, it gets annoying.

Gaebriel
07-09-2006, 04:42
Undercoated minimum - but that's because it takes me as long to build and convert any model as it takes others to paint them...

But well, I technically don't play that much anyway...

Adept
07-09-2006, 05:22
I've no problem with using unpainted armies, but I always finish them eventually. At the moment I have three fully painted armies, am collecting a fourth and fifth, and have fully painted forces for Lord of the Rings and Battlefleet Gothic.

I'm tempted to sell an army or two and start something new, but that will have to wait until I finish my Lizardmen and Tau.

ghost of scubasteve
07-09-2006, 05:38
im just starting out, but i fully plan on having my whole army painted as soon as possible

(tho it might take me a while since im playing IG)

corvo
07-09-2006, 06:21
I prefer painted armies, they look nice, and from the gameplay perspective, it is easier to tell what each unit is at a glance. This is usually important in the later stages of a largish game, when everyone is in melee, and you start to lose track of where your opponant's units are.

With me it has gotten to the point where i will not field an unpainted miniature because;
1) I have far too many on my painting table, and if i use them anyway, then i will find it harder to motivate myself to actually get them done.
2) They just make the rest of the army look shabby.

The Orange
07-09-2006, 06:40
I prefer to paint the models bits, and then assemble. So for me, I don't usually filed un-painted models (because I can't). In any case though, I prefer to have my units fully, or at least 90% complete before I set them on the table. But I seem to be the exception in my group, as none of my friends have thier armies fully painted (one of them has actually been using my old eldar army to suplement his army). But thier have been a few exceptions on my part as well. When I was just getting my Tau going, I wanted to test out kroot, unfortunatly I only had 2 painted, so I proxied 8 empty bases :p . And recently I fielded my primered Vespids (with no wings or heads), but that was just becaues my friends wanted to see what they can do (they managed to beat the crap out of an Inquisitor and his retiune in HTH :p ).

Ardathair
07-09-2006, 07:41
I have been playing 40K for over 18 years and will admit that I have double standards with regard to painting, I hold myself and other veterans to higher standards than I do newer players.

Since I have been in the hobby for so long, and have painted over a thousands miniatures (for varius games including Warhammer), I see no reason to use unpainted models when I have so many already painted. I do not require my opponents to use only painted models, but I do prefer them to.

Most of my adversaries have been playing for a few months or a couple of years, I would like for them to have painted armies, but don't hold it against them if they don't. (ok just a little)

P.S. That is one thing I miss about lead miniatures, the enforcement of putting multiple layers (of primer, paint, and sealant) between the model and the player.:evilgrin:

Griffin
07-09-2006, 08:12
Fully Painted or I wait to use them.

leonmallett
07-09-2006, 08:19
I prefer gaming to painting so can happily use/face unpainted models. That said I have two complete painted 40K armies ('Nids - 2000+ pts; and 13th Company - 1800 pts approx). The current army is homebrew marines still halfway-ish to completion.

Sinedia
07-09-2006, 09:02
I'd like to have them painted... But I just don't have the time... and besides that, painting is the most stupid part of this hobby. I don't like to paint at all...

They do look way cooler when they are painted though, and it just is cooler to field a painted army. It is also cool to say to your fellow players: "look, I painted some more... cool he.." (e.g. showing the progress of your army).
On that not I have primed all of my army and base coated the most. I am now in the (very very very) slow progress of painting my models. Some day...

Miguen
07-09-2006, 09:16
I wont play unless I have a fully painted army, besides it is rather rwarding to play with an army that fully painted

and those I got a few of :
1500 pts. black templars
1500 pts daemonhunters
3500 pts world eaters chaos
3000 pts orks

3000 pts warhammer chaos
2500 pts bretonnian
1500 pts orcs and goblins

Vanger
07-09-2006, 10:08
My current army (Tau) is only undercoated :( but I know I will sell them off (the sooner or the later) so that's why I don't care.

But my next project is a fully painted army. One squad at a time. Not going to make the mistake of building a whole army undpainted again. It's hard to get started on painting, when you see 60-70 troopers and 5-7 vehicle models in front of you :(

leonmallett
07-09-2006, 10:17
Vanger - I think your post (and the one before yours) highlights exactly the various differences between hobbyists. Some are gamers primarily, some painters primariliy and the rest somewher in between. I am not a quick enough (or disciplined enough!) painter to finish an army before using it. In addition, for some games can be few and far between so it may be about playing with what you have! I love that we can all find our niche within the hobby.

Venomizer
07-09-2006, 10:27
at the moment next to none of my army is painted, but I will not play until it's painted but it's catch 22 since I'm a very slow & very easily distracted painter

for the next FO chart of my necron army I'll not be buying it all in one chunk before painting it like I've done this time :(

Scythe
07-09-2006, 11:35
Painted armies always look better, but like a lot of people, the time I and my regular opponents can spend painting is limited. Nevertheless, I field as many painted models as possible, and over time, most of my armies are painted enough to be usable mostly painted anyway.

For 40K:
Nids, about 6500 pts painted, of a total of about 8000-9000 pts I guess (unpainted models include a Hierophant)
Necrons, about 3500 pts, all painted
IG/Daemonhunters, about 3500 pts, of which about 1500 pts is painted (IG only)

Fantasy:
Vampire Counts, 5000 pts, all painted, except for a few alternative bloodline vampires and a bunch of ghouls
Dark Elves, probably around 6000 pts, of which maybe 2500 pts are painted.

AventineCrusader
07-09-2006, 11:54
I generally play painted. I limit myself to point matches near to the points total that I have painted at the time. I just completely finished my 2000pt Lost and the Damned army but I have been playing at the 2000pt level for about 4 1/2 months. It took me about 2 years to finish the army, but this was not necessarily because I am a slow painter, it was mainly due to mutli-month distractions and the fact that I am so poor. Next up is another 500 points!

Crusader

Yarick Zan
07-09-2006, 11:56
for me its undercoat and atleast half my army is painted. i have to find time in my busy life to paint.

InquisitorPalpatine
07-09-2006, 14:14
With troops I paint them unassymbled, so until there done they don't get played(I have used a squad that some of the fine detail was yet to be completed once). With tanks this hasn't been the case, depending on the stage of assymbly of the vehicle(as long as all guns are attached) I have used them in the primed or base coated stage. My saving grace is the fact that I live about 80 miles from the nearest shop to play and no longer know of anybody in this town that collects, so I usally have plenty of time to get my next new squad or tank done before I get a chance to play. I do believe playing a painted force does inhance the feel of the game so my army that I field is always between 90-100% painted. I don't refuse to play unpainted armies, but when I do play them I seem to uncontrollably come up with paint schemes in my head for thier armies and wonder why they don't paint them.

Krypt
07-09-2006, 16:19
I don't just take pride and NEED to have a fully painted army to field for my own personal gaming pride, but when strangers come into my local store where I play regularly and see my models, I want to have them painted to the best of my ability as it is their first sight of my army and dedication to the hobby, and what they think of me, in hobby terms.

grg3d
07-09-2006, 17:49
Not pointing at anyone, really :angel:

Rant on :mad:

Sometimes it really jerks me about people and painted figures and the holier than thou opinion that “I will not play you because my mini’s are painted and yours are not!”
It’s a hobby for some people folks, not a life style to paint and be one with the universe. And I cannot devote 100’s of hours a week to paint or play (lucky to get “1” game in a week!)
So because I want to play NOW! Not 6 months from now. I went out and bought one (a $550.00 painted Army :eek: ) so I could play at the Local store when I can find the time (however in the mean time I’m painting and putting my army together slowly) and even that’s a problem with some players “You didn’t paint them yourself? How lame :wtf:
Well at least their painted! And quite nicely too!
It’s an accomplishment for me just to get them scraped (remove mold lines from the figures) and put together and hide the joint with green stuff, convert them and even magnetize them, how many of you really do this? I do and it takes time folks especially when I only get a few hours on the weekend.
I’ve seen painted figures with flash, vents, mold lines and huge gaps in their models but their painted so is that ok? Personally I wouldn’t paint them until these problems are fixed! but I still play them
Plus when I did get enough to play a game with (1000 pt) No one wanted to play as they put it “Such a small fight, as we only do 2000 + points!” And that <blank> me off too
Why…Well personally I believe the reason they want big battles is so they can bring the kitchen sink so to speak which in my opinion shows that they have no strategy because if you can bring everything to the fight you really don’t have to plan on what you take, just stand their and roll a bunch of dice, now that’s real fun isn’t it?

Rant off

I feel better getting that off my chest, but all I really want, is to play the game and have some fun with the pieces I paid for…Now and not later without some gamers looking down their nose at me because I have a life outside of their gaming universe.

darkprincewilson
07-09-2006, 17:51
I try to only field painted models. I am successful about 98% of the time. This also helps to slow my buying of new models as I almost always will not field a non-complete model.

ryfitz13
07-09-2006, 18:23
I try to only field painted models. I am successful about 98% of the time. This also helps to slow my buying of new models as I almost always will not field a non-complete model.

I 100% agree with the line I bolded above! While I'm not quite as stringent as darkprincewilson, even allowing myself one or two non-fully-painted units is enough of an influence to keep me from buying up the store every time I go in.

Which, coincidentally, keeps me out of the dog house with my wife. :D

Hicks
07-09-2006, 19:17
I can't say I ever kept an army long enough to actually have time to paint it. The situation is about to change tough, I'm gonna strip my IG army (thank god all of it is metal and start over to have a force that looks cohesive. To keep me going I think I'll post my progress in the project log forum. I'll be the first in my gaming group to have painted stuff wich is really a sad thing.

MeatGrinder
07-09-2006, 19:20
I have recently re-sprayed my 13th co. and got about 24 of them done in a single night!!

I love speed painting!!

Splagbot
07-09-2006, 19:21
If it's not painted it doesn't get to join in the fight.

That's what they get for not painting themselves.

BrainFireBob
07-09-2006, 19:31
Not pointing at anyone, really :angel:

Rant on :mad:

Sometimes it really jerks me about people and painted figures and the holier than thou opinion that “I will not play you because my mini’s are painted and yours are not!”
It’s a hobby for some people folks, not a life style to paint and be one with the universe. And I cannot devote 100’s of hours a week to paint or play (lucky to get “1” game in a week!)
So because I want to play NOW! Not 6 months from now. I went out and bought one (a $550.00 painted Army :eek: ) so I could play at the Local store when I can find the time (however in the mean time I’m painting and putting my army together slowly) and even that’s a problem with some players “You didn’t paint them yourself? How lame :wtf:
Well at least their painted! And quite nicely too!
It’s an accomplishment for me just to get them scraped (remove mold lines from the figures) and put together and hide the joint with green stuff, convert them and even magnetize them, how many of you really do this? I do and it takes time folks especially when I only get a few hours on the weekend.
I’ve seen painted figures with flash, vents, mold lines and huge gaps in their models but their painted so is that ok? Personally I wouldn’t paint them until these problems are fixed! but I still play them
Plus when I did get enough to play a game with (1000 pt) No one wanted to play as they put it “Such a small fight, as we only do 2000 + points!” And that <blank> me off too
Why…Well personally I believe the reason they want big battles is so they can bring the kitchen sink so to speak which in my opinion shows that they have no strategy because if you can bring everything to the fight you really don’t have to plan on what you take, just stand their and roll a bunch of dice, now that’s real fun isn’t it?

Rant off

I feel better getting that off my chest, but all I really want, is to play the game and have some fun with the pieces I paid for…Now and not later without some gamers looking down their nose at me because I have a life outside of their gaming universe.

Actually, it's not snobbery for most of us.

Aside from the fact it just looks AWESOME to have a painted army on a table with good terrain facing another painted army. . .

Do you show up unshaven, in flip flops, with uncombed air, mismatched clothes, and untucked shirt to a job interview? Or even meeting, say, a girlfriend's family for the first time? Or do you try and clean yourself up and take pride in your appearance?

For many of us, painting our armies is something of the latter- for others, it's the hobby part of the hobby. It's not snobbism, it's a statement.

If you're putting all that modelling work in, a) Might as well finish painting because they'll look AWESOME when you're finally done, and b) Sounds like painting them is now ongoing, you're just taking your time for quality. You have 1000 points painted, but a full 2000 cleaned and converted? If the second half is primered, game with the whole thing. Blow'em away with your mad perfectionist skillz, and let them see your progress as you go.

fracas
07-09-2006, 19:48
i only field painted armies

supabeast
07-09-2006, 20:14
I've always tried to paint as much as possible (I only use an unpainted model if I just haven't had time to paint something new and using other models to proxy would be confusing), and haven't played with an entirely unpainted army in over a decade. It makes it easier to tell what stuff is, it's a nice hobby, and seeing everyone using painted minis discourages cheap bastards from trying to proxy plastic army men as Space Marines and old shoeboxes as tanks (I've seen that happen - it ain't pretty).

Gaunt
07-09-2006, 20:26
well ive got 2armies on the go Tau and Iron Hands.

Im so close to slitting my wrists with painting Tau I had to stop painting them so I started my Iron Hands. Gives a nice break when you want it and I prefere painting marines for some reason.

Gonna finish my marines and then restart my Tau so I will then atleast have 1 finished army.

Damore
07-09-2006, 20:37
My armies are painted, but the problem is I'm always getting new models. So then the armies are not all painted. I am working on 4 different armies for me a 3 for a friend. I have to rotate what I work on. Painted models are a big deal to me because I will get models just to paint them for show. I also like to do a lot of custom models as well.

Deathjester
07-09-2006, 23:45
I have a lot of armies and as such many of them are not painted, this is not because of laziness or anything of the sort, it's because i get entertained by a new army, and i buy it, i don't wait to finish painting the one i have....

I'm working on painting my Eldar, but @ 16 hours / jetbike there are going to be a lot of hours put into painting it.... However i don't doubt it will be worth it in the end.

But i do a lot of converting on my minis, and i like to play with them now. So as soon as they are all converted and undercoated (i'll never play with plastic or metal or unassebled minis (except with 1 exception)).

This is a good thing for me, otherwise i would never get any games ;) i'd be too busy painting my new army.

My only exception to the rule is when i'm proxy-ing an army i'm considering buying, I won't buy an army unless i know it will perform, however once i have got a workable list, i'll then fluff out the army, knowing that i can always take that starting list to tournaments etc, without having to worry how it will fair.

I never start buying an army without playing around with a list for serveral months, and considering i have: 4 40k armies, and 6 Fantasy armies, that's a lot of months of gaming and testing.

Crazy Harborc
08-09-2006, 00:33
I started my second 40K army as soon as I finished my first. I didn't really try to play outside my basement until 40K army #2 was done.

With fantasy, I had several 100 Empire standins, all painted from previous years of wargaming.

I can understand players who can't wait until the paints on all of them. For what it's worth, I wouldn't sign up for a RT with minies unpainted/primed only.