PDA

View Full Version : what is the least common titan?

dark angel
06-09-2006, 19:31
hi

im wondering what is the least common titan(aka something with structure/mass points)as im looking to get one but i can decide(ill be starting a new army to around it)

Drogmir
06-09-2006, 19:32
Titan? you mean in epic or 40K?

dark angel
06-09-2006, 19:42
well this is in a 40k forumm

The_Patriot
06-09-2006, 19:43
Anything above a Warhound since there aren't models nor a play area big enough to hold them. ;)

insectum7
06-09-2006, 19:44
Well this is the 40K forum...

I don't know what the least common Titan model is actually, but I think that Eldar one looks pretty damn cool.

Come to think of it, I bet the Armorcast Ork Gargant is the rarest titan model out there. I havent seen too many of those, but you would have to find one on E-bay or something.

Drogmir
06-09-2006, 19:51
attauly almost all the titans are pretty rare. These days you have to get them off forge world or ebay. Of course playing with them would be almost impossible to have your opponent agree with you

Oberon
06-09-2006, 20:14
attauly almost all the titans are pretty rare. These days you have to get them off forge world or ebay. Of course playing with them would be almost impossible to have your opponent agree with you
If you warned them well before and allowed them to prepare, many would take the challenge. I would. Of course, if one does not have large enough army so you could play with equl lists, then it is another matter...

gLOBS
06-09-2006, 20:37
By fluff standards the rarest basic titan is the Reaver titan. Warlord titans are in greater abundance then even the Warhound class.

Xyon
06-09-2006, 20:41
Pretty much any titan.

Sandlemad
06-09-2006, 21:25
Fluffwise, I'd say the psyker titans. Don't know much beyond the name, but I believe they're pretty damn rare. At any rate, when was the last time you heard of one in the fluff?

Tabletop-wise, I should think it would roughly go: Warhound>Chaos warhound>eldar revenant>tyranid hierothingy, with the nid beast being the rarest.
This is only on FW stuff, of course. Armourcast models would be rarer than any of these.

Sildani
07-09-2006, 13:41
Psyker titans were mentioned in the Eye of Terror Codex, in a Table of Organization and Equipment the Imperials wrote up. That's all.

At least GW hasn't forgotten them entirely.

jfrazell
07-09-2006, 13:50
Psyker titans and Emperor class titans. Even EPIC has problems trying to work the Emperor in, its so massive.

Inversely the most common would be ork war engines. Can't keep a good greenskin down.

EPIC wise the rarest would be the Necron aeonic orb. Nothing says killy goodness like a piece of a star trapped in a magnetic bubble.

"ooh the valcano cannon was impressive. But watch as I throw a piece of a star at you..."

luchog
08-09-2006, 01:35
This is only on FW stuff, of course. Armourcast models would be rarer than any of these.

Dunno, I see the old Armourcast Eldar Knight titans on ebay all the time.

Lord Dante
08-09-2006, 01:36
what about Knights from EPIC - I mean imperium ones from the 1st ed EPIC - oh, they are gone now...

hellfire
08-09-2006, 01:54
fluffwise I'd say armageddon class titans there are something like 6 of them and they haven't been deployed since the HH

Brother Othorio
08-09-2006, 02:31
what about Knights from EPIC - I mean imperium ones from the 1st ed EPIC - oh, they are gone now...

gone..? their in the current trial Adeptus Titanicus Titan Legion list for EPIC Armageddon..

chaos0xomega
09-09-2006, 03:49
fluffwise I'd say armageddon class titans there are something like 6 of them and they haven't been deployed since the HH

Just curious, but where do you get this information from. I spent the greater part of a month last year running google(and other search engine) searches for the armageddon(even tried apocalypse) class titan, and found only one person to ever mention it on the Relic forums(I think it was relic anyway), and on other sites that someone posted links to the thread about it, and they declared it unofficial fan-fluff.

Chem-Dog
09-09-2006, 05:10
gone..? their in the current trial Adeptus Titanicus Titan Legion list for EPIC Armageddon..

Hmmm, Tank sized fighting robots? Could it be testing the water for the mythical Mechanicus 40K codex? Wouldn't be the first time a 40K unit was featured first in an epic release (Autarch).

Or Demi-Titans for 40K Appocalypse? They are about the size of an Ork Stompa.....

And the Imperium needs robots too! Lots of Maniples in a Cohort, What what.

Puffin Magician
09-09-2006, 05:43
Since you sound like you want to buy one, I'll presume you mean existing FW models, otherwise the eBay scratchbuilds and OOP models cover practically anything in the 40k universe short of a Warmonger.

Titans? The Tyranid Hierophant is rarely seen, despite it's puny size and statline compared to Epic [ie: FW is wrong]. Despite that, I'd probably base a Chaos army around a Chaos Warhound Titan. All that spikey mutated gribbleyness is difficult to pass up both visually and gameplay-wise.

Anything with Structure Points? I don't think I've ever seen a Stormsword Siege Tank other than the ones on FW's own website.

And now, to sort out this fluff stuff...

By fluff standards the rarest basic titan is the Reaver titan. Warlord titans are in greater abundance then even the Warhound class.I don't think so, the Warlord is the most abundant but Reavers are found probably as common as Warhounds, as they are the "medium" workhorse Battle Titans.

Fluffwise, I'd say the psyker titans.I believe you to be correct, sir. They're so super-super-secret and hellishly deadly that even Emperor-class Titans likely outnumber them.

Anything above a Warhound since there aren't models nor a play area big enough to hold them.You've never played on an 8'×4' table? I'm a bit tired of saying this so many times, so I'll summarize with... you are quite the opposite of accurate.

Just curious, but where do you get this information from? ...declared it unofficial fan-fluff.I have to agree with this. All current Imperial Titan types were around during the Heresy [maybe PsyTitans excluded] and I've never heard mention of an Armageddon-class. Maybe one of those fluff-ignorant Black Library fellows is at it again?

Yarick Zan
09-09-2006, 05:48
i remember i read about the armageddon class titans somewhere. what id really like to see is a stormhammer tank made, aside from epic. but i think the psychic titan is probably the rarest though.

Puffin Magician
09-09-2006, 05:58
This (http://forums.relicnews.com/archive/index.php/t-59605.html) and this (http://ryxi.com/games/119-420-40k-epic-fluff-armageddon-class-titan-read.shtml) are the only mentions of Armageddon Titans I could find, as nearly all other Googles resulted in battlecruisers and other interstellar warships, mainly from EVE Online and BFG. And lo' and behold, a Black Library reference...

As for the Stormhammer, there are quite a few actually. Probably due to their "why are they in Epic: 40,000 and not in Epic: Armageddon or 40k?" sympathies. In fact, I'm building one right now on commission and here (http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=3633)'s another one.

Brother Othorio
09-09-2006, 21:07
Could it be testing the water for the mythical Mechanicus 40K codex? Wouldn't be the first time a 40K unit was featured first in an epic release (Autarch*).

i think its more down to the fact that an army with nothing but titans would be almost impossible to win with as they would be far too easy to outmaneuver (the list also includes admech infantry and tanks aswell)

* Leman Russ, Chimera, Baneblade, Thunderhawk Gunship, Eldar Falcon.. :p

Puffin Magician
10-09-2006, 06:10
i think its more down to the fact that an army with nothing but titans would be almost impossible to win with Which is primarily because of the not-that-accurate rules for Titans, with them rather rare in 40k and simply lumped in with mundane superheavy tanks and aircraft.

A Reaver would easily be capable of either stomping on or outright vapourizing a squad of speeders/jetbikes or triad of Rhinos attempting to swing around to it's vulnerable rear armour. You don't need to worry about being outmaneuvered when you're nothing less than a walking coastal defence battery.

Cresistauead
10-09-2006, 11:55
Ah, I dont' believe there are any "armageddon titans" at all.

I'm pretty certain that hellfire is referring to, not a titan, but actually a super-heavy tank the size of a medium titan.

Adeptus mecanicus ordinatus armageddon, AMO golgotha and AMO mars were all über rare constructs which haven't really been used since horus heresy. Think of a six-tracked vehicle toting a gun the size of a house and you have an ordinatus. Golgotha had six acidovirus rockets, each of them able to decimate a company. Armageddon had a plama cannon similar to the main gun of an imperator titan. Mars, the rarest of them all IIRC, had a sonic cannon that had the same chance of destroying any taget that was under it's area of effect. Grots, buidings and unshielded titans all bit the dust on 5+.

BTW in titan legions, unsupported titans were ripped to shreds in close combat by bikes and similar that were fast enough to close in without being shot at. Such attacks were pretty suicidial, but in the end the point value of the bikes was less than the point value of the titan.

Brother Othorio
10-09-2006, 15:08
Which is primarily because of the not-that-accurate rules for Titans, with them rather rare in 40k and simply lumped in with mundane superheavy tanks and aircraft.

all depends on what you choose to class as canon, personally i prefer to take my fluff from the original source: some people whine about Genestealers rending Terminators as unfluffy but i look at Space Hulk (the game Terminators were invented for) and say no problem, likewise Titans were created for EPIC, EPIC says they are powerful but certainly not indestructable lightning fast ninjas (stomp a trio of Rhinos? no problem, but in EPIC a Reavers point value is equal to 65 Rhinos..)

chaos0xomega
10-09-2006, 15:44
So this armageddon class titan thing is just some noob attempting to get his own fluff made widely known and popular?

Sounds good to me. So there is NO armageddon class titan.

schoon
10-09-2006, 17:16
This (http://forums.relicnews.com/archive/index.php/t-59605.html) and this (http://ryxi.com/games/119-420-40k-epic-fluff-armageddon-class-titan-read.shtml) are the only mentions of Armageddon Titans I could find, as nearly all other Googles resulted in battlecruisers and other interstellar warships, mainly from EVE Online and BFG. And lo' and behold, a Black Library reference...
Hmmm, does anyone know the source (if it in fact exists) of the quote from that second link?

I'm doubtful without a reference.

chaos0xomega
10-09-2006, 17:21
The source of the quote is from the relic forums. IE not official

Yarick Zan
10-09-2006, 17:21
i read it somewhere else before then. i know i did. i just cant place where. it was somthing about the horus heresy and the admech. i know its also GW approved or atleast was at one point in time.

schoon
11-09-2006, 03:40
I just also got it from the EpiComms (http://www.tacticalwargames.net/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi) that the Armageddon Titan is a fan creation. That settles it in my mind at least.

Puffin Magician
11-09-2006, 04:33
EPIC says they are powerful but certainly not indestructable lightning fast ninjas (stomp a trio of Rhinos? no problem, but in EPIC a Reaver's point value is equal to 65 Rhinos..)I'd agree with that, but you don't have to be a ninja to swivel a gun around at a squad of bikes coming at you at no more than 70kph when they're a few hundred meters away and simply erasing them off the globe with a gun the size of a house.

I think 3600pts is a bit steep for a Reaver Titan, though.

Wonderdog
11-09-2006, 10:13
That one-off Corvus assault titan - basically a warlord with barrage missile launchers on the shoulders, , 2 Corvus assault pods, and a corvus assault head - used by the imperial fists when storming of some hive or another (void shield being the only thing capable of taking the pounding needed to reach the wall). That thing sounded sick.

#Wonderdog

hellfire
17-09-2006, 22:48
Just curious, but where do you get this information from. I spent the greater part of a month last year running google(and other search engine) searches for the armageddon(even tried apocalypse) class titan, and found only one person to ever mention it on the Relic forums(I think it was relic anyway), and on other sites that someone posted links to the thread about it, and they declared it unofficial fan-fluff.

I think thats where I heard it
Not a bad piece of fan-fluff though
its not ordinatus: armageddon though