PDA

View Full Version : WE Forest spirit army competative?

Brothermarcus
06-09-2006, 19:18
Hi all,

Just wondering if you can be competative with a 80%+ forest spirit army? I might want a elven lord - because I like the models but more so I REALLY like the treeman/treekin/dryad models/theme.

So that is my question, are these models good enough to be self-sufficient?

Thanks!

~bm

god octo
06-09-2006, 19:24
yes, in a word:D

However, you will be lacking a bit in three main places-

1. shooting- you will have no real shooting, apart from a sprite or strangle root, so you may have to face your opponent at full strength.

2. Magic- you will have only lvl1 branchwraithe for magic offense and a sprite for magic defense, so you will have to get used to being outmagiced and possibley inflicting no damage on the enemy from range.

3. Speed- unless you add wild riders, you will not have any units over M6, so you may be outmanuvered. Also, with the 7th ed changes, skirmishers will be slightly less speedy and agile.

However, dont let this deter you, they are a perfectly fluffy and valid army list to use. :D

TheWarSmith
06-09-2006, 20:05
Wild riders are forest spirits, aren't they? If so, they're a MUST in this list.

I think tree lists can do quite well. I'm about 70% familiar with the exact details of the list, but why do you say only 1 lvl1 wizard for offense? Couldn't he take 2-3 branchwraiths?

I don't think you'll need to worry TOO much about march blocking, because most of your army will skirmish, so if they're march blocking you, you can charge with dryads, which you'll probably have 4-5 units of(right?)

Wouldn't a treeman ancient be the best lord for this list?

Scythe
07-09-2006, 07:15
Yeah, the ancient is pretty much optimal in this setup. Gives you 2 additional bound spells to help in the magic phase as well.

god octo
07-09-2006, 16:11
I think tree lists can do quite well. I'm about 70% familiar with the exact details of the list, but why do you say only 1 lvl1 wizard for offense? Couldn't he take 2-3 branchwraiths?

Sorry what i meant was you could only go up to magic level 1 with your branchwraithes, so you wouldnt have stacks of power dice.

TheWarSmith
07-09-2006, 16:15
ahhh, true. I'd go with 2 lvl 1 branch wraiths though. it'll let them throw 2 dice at treesinging every turn, as opposed to only 1 wraith, where a die is lost every turn.

Reinnon
07-09-2006, 16:34
remember you can use spellsingers that belong to the Glamourweave Kindred, so it is possible to include dispel scrolls and some magic magic offense into the army

TheWarSmith
07-09-2006, 16:54
oh, then that's the way you want to go, not branch wraiths.

god octo
07-09-2006, 19:52
still, only a branchwraithe or treeman ancient can carry the cluster of radients.....

althathir
08-09-2006, 00:03
Its solid, definately slow but if you added a couple units of wild riders or glade riders to add some speed it could be interesting, or even warhawks which will be a lot better in 7th

DirtJumper
08-09-2006, 01:08
I would actually go so far as saying the tree army is better than the generic list. Definatly has a lot more combat potential, and although WE shooting is nice, a bow-armed gunline just doesen't really cut it most of the time.

Von Wibble
09-09-2006, 11:05
Speaking for my own playing style, my WE army tends to go for lots of wardancers and Dryads anyway. It might not be fast but it is manoeuvreble, and every unit having 360 LOS means mutual support is easy to achieve. A forest spirit army would just bne replacing wardancers with more Dryads + Treekin. Also your chances of being shot yourself are miniscule.
It definately can work. The only weaknesses are the aforementioned lack of shooting (use magic to whittle down the important units....), rank bonus (but only eternal guard really use that one anyway) and the inability to flee from charges (did I hear that one has now changed or am I wrong?).

Brothermarcus
09-09-2006, 17:00
Thanks all for the great info. I do have one question though.

It seems that the Treeman Ancient isnt a good choice at all. His only advantage over a standard Treeman is his ability to take spites - and there really arent that many good spites. Since they can't be duplicated you can just take a branchwraith for your annoyance of nettlings.

If he didn't use the additional rare slot you could field 3 treemen - which would be an interesting justification at least. As it is it's hard to justify not taking the glamourweave sorc or the wildriding lord.

Thoughts?

~bm

Reinnon
09-09-2006, 19:12
the treeman anceint is fantastic.

he is more then a treeman "with just spites" he is a LD9 stubb monster with 2 bound tree singing spells.

give him netlings and BAM you have a unit that can take down anything.

his statline is fantastic, he adds a unmoving punch to the WE army and with tree surfing he can be very movable.

The TA is one of the best things in the WE list, cast regen on him and you have a monster

Spyral
09-09-2006, 19:17
It seems that the Treeman Ancient isnt a good choice at all. His only advantage over a standard Treeman is his ability to take spites - and there really arent that many good spites. Since they can't be duplicated you can just take a branchwraith for your annoyance of nettlings.

he can take netlings and cast spells that justifys it.

secondly some bloke took 1500 pts of pure dryads and 1 branchwraith to a tourney and came 6th.

thats how hard dryads are. 7th may tone it down a little but will equally tone down other skirmishers too.

Faeslayer
09-09-2006, 19:19
remember you can use spellsingers that belong to the Glamourweave Kindred, so it is possible to include dispel scrolls and some magic magic offense into the army

You have to convert up mages on unicorns, though. :(

Scythe
09-09-2006, 19:40
That's not so difficult using a certain brettonian special character....

Latro
09-09-2006, 20:13
... or a horse and half a toothpick.

mooserehab86
09-09-2006, 21:02
... or a horse and half a toothpick.

To make it even more fancy, you could twist some thin wire around that toothpick to make the horn have a spiral texture, like the Bretonnian unicorn.

Faeslayer
10-09-2006, 01:23
To make it even more fancy, you could twist some thin wire around that toothpick to make the horn have a spiral texture, like the Bretonnian unicorn.

I think I've sidetracked the discussion a bit! Best to stop the unicorn talk here. :)

Inquisitor Aling James
22-09-2006, 12:07
Hi All,
This is really my first time here at Warseer, and i must say you have quiet the kick A@# website here.

More onto the point is that i have just completed my 1k tree spirit army (zero elves). I have found the army to be lots of fun and very flexable movement wise. Now it has been awhile since I played WFB (5th ed.) But I'm no newbie.

My List
Branch Wraith
- Murder Sprites
9 x Drayads
-Branch Nymph

Branch Wraith
- Lvl 1 Mage
8 x Dryads

9 x Drayads
-Branch Nymph

3 x Tree Kin

Treeman

The only issue that I have had with the list is i'm still not used to the treekin and i throw them at the wrong things with no support (my own fault I know) T5 means you invuarable dosen't it?

Any tips are more then welcome
Thanks

-M@
President of Outpost Gaming Club

druchii
23-09-2006, 04:39
As warsmith can tell you, I've battled with the idea of making a Forrest spirit list.

I almost wish I had (Ogres eat elves!).
Aside from my blubbery butchers, I totally love the dryad models. Those alone almost got me to make a FS list, although the wispy and fragile treeman and kin drove me away.

I miss the old, stalwart "treemen" models, they look like a treeman. I know they're not really "realistic" but who cares?

Aside from aesthetics, a FS list can be VERY wicked.

Treemen(or an ancient!) usually take the place of the "anvil" units, while the Wild Riders, Dryads and possibly treekin take up the hammer.

The only real armies that pose a "threat" to the list are super magic heavy lists (slaan, tzeentch, etc.) and some "hittier" lists, like Brets or Chaos.

Can an all FS list be competitive? Hell yes.
Would it be fun to play with and against? Absolutely.

I know around here we've got like SIX Wood Elf players, and I would be SUPREMELY pleased if someone brought a list made-up of FS units.

d

d