PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Mammoth

TheWarSmith
06-09-2006, 22:16
Would you allow a player to use a war mammoth in a friendly game? Let's assume he wouldn't run it EVERY SINGLE game, but the occasional mix in of a war mammoth.

Dtrik
06-09-2006, 22:19
I would if they were CDs:D

In all honesty though Id let anyone use any model in a casual game (as long as its not game breaking, ridiculous unit of pure ownage)

Vogon
06-09-2006, 22:33
I would, they're great fun to play against. Bear in mind with T7 and 12 wounds they take some killing, especially with a dark elf army.

The rules can be found here if you weren't aware of them

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/mammoth.pdf

Have fun

Vogon

ZomboCom
06-09-2006, 23:45
I play vampire counts.

I have the hand of dust spell.

I'd be delighted to play against a war mammoth :D

TheWarSmith
06-09-2006, 23:46
What's that do?

The one thing I've NEVER understood about the mammoth rules is this..."They do not respond to orders and have no plans other than violently crushing anything before them. The player controlling the mammoth may select one of the following types of attacks each round the mammoth is in close combat."

So do you have control or don't you?

They don't really discuss it, but I'd assume remains in play spells for the unit also affect the mammoth, seeing as the command section affects it, and whose LD do you use(I'd assume the marauder/character's)

If spells work on the mammoth, i'll yellow fire/ward save it.

ZomboCom
06-09-2006, 23:50
What's that do?

It's a remains in play spell that swaps all the caster's attacks for a single attack. If it hits, the enemy is killed.

gorenut
06-09-2006, 23:56
What's that do?

Pretty much he gets to swap all his attacks for 1 attack (re-rollable if things like hatred allows). If the attack lands, the victim dies.

Voltaire
07-09-2006, 00:12
I would allow it, as long as they didn't proceed to bring an actual Mammoth to the game. My place of gaming can barely fit a moth in, let alone a mammoth.

DeathMasterSnikch
07-09-2006, 00:13
I'd play a mammoth :D

Eat thousands of rats fur-elephant!

Voltaire
07-09-2006, 00:23
I'd play a mammoth :D

Eat thousands of rats fur-elephant!

You'd play a mammoth? Which end?

Seriously though, the Mammoth is something I would consider for a special scenario revolved around it. Actualy...this could become part of my special siege. *bright ideas*

TheWarSmith
07-09-2006, 00:37
Beefpizza, a good friend of mine, is converting one from a LOTR mumakil.

Voltaire
07-09-2006, 00:44
Are the nice GW people actually ok with that now?

whitra
07-09-2006, 01:36
It's not a matter of the GW people being okay with it. As far as I know the restrictions were one of New Lines Cinema's Criteria.

Though looking at the disparity in price, if I ever made one I'd convert a mumakil too. It's not like you'd ever get much of a chance to use it in Gdub store or tournies anyways, unless you're near their big centers.

TheWarSmith
07-09-2006, 01:46
hehe, I game at GW Chicago Battlebunker. They're really nice guys, they're not gonna tell me I can't use it. MAYBE in tournies, but I really don't care about that.

whitra
07-09-2006, 02:02
I envy you. I was about five hours from there, and my hobby store had 4 dedicated gamers. We talked about making road trips there, but never got around to it.

TheWarSmith
07-09-2006, 02:22
It's a pretty damn cool store. Probably about 200 feet of gaming tables, maybe more

snurl
07-09-2006, 04:57
Bring on the Mammoths!

The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Just name it Target.

There are rules for a mammoth on the forgeworld website in case y'all didn't know.

TheWarSmith
07-09-2006, 06:02
Concept sketch of the chaos mammoth by Beefpizza:

snurl
07-09-2006, 06:05
Here's an alternate:
http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=828

Voltaire
07-09-2006, 09:56
Considering th war mammoth is quite hairy, thats quite an undertaking for Beefpizza. Is he going to green stuffing the fur on or using something else for it?

The boyz
07-09-2006, 10:47
I wouldnt mind playing a game or two against a War Mammoth, it would certainly be different. It would be interesting too see how many rats it squishes.

eldrak
07-09-2006, 11:12
Considering th war mammoth is quite hairy, thats quite an undertaking for Beefpizza. Is he going to green stuffing the fur on or using something else for it?

Maybe one of the crewmen is responsible for shaving it. It might be too hot for it otherwise if it's used to the cold climate of the north :p

edit:
found a nice pic of a mammoth
http://demonwinner.free.fr/uk/1988/golden_demon_winner.php?categorie=6

TheWarSmith
07-09-2006, 12:37
We're currently debating GS or static grass, a method he has been told works well to create fur.

If you look at Beefpizza's stegadon, you'll know he's a master with GS, having sculped scales and a whole stegadon head from scratch. Fur is easy compared to what he does.

Sleazy
07-09-2006, 16:15
I've thought about doing that for a while, static grass you say? has anyone tried that before before i ruin a fifty quid heffalump?

DeathMasterSnikch
07-09-2006, 19:46
I'm not sure on this but I seem to recall static grass with watered down PVA makes good fur...can't remember where I've read it but it comes to mind. (If you try it I recomend doing it on a non expensive mammoth as a test first)

TheWarSmith
07-09-2006, 19:58
Yeah, we're gonna test out the static grass, because if it looks good, then it's a lot less labor/cost intensive.

I've started a project log. http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48479

rhaberova
07-09-2006, 20:34
I've actually played against a war mammoth in a siege. It couldn't march and i tied it up by ambushing from behind. It never reached the walls in the 7 turns. I would have killed it but my minotaurs never got to it and my beastlord only had one round of combat with it. He took off 3 wounds with his daemon sword (S7 A7 WS10). It was fun, i'd do it again. I actually played it another time in a 2,250 point battle. I had a giant on it, but i kept rolling a 5 or 6 for his special attacks!! So the giant headbutted it every turn and took one wound off every time, but didn't allow the mammoth to attack. I was really hoping i'd roll a 2, 3, or 4 (i believe). That's the one that takes 2D6 wounds if the target fails it's Initiative test (2 for the mammoth). I rolled it once and he passed with a 2! The mammoth sort of sucks just because it can't march, so my beastmen army ran loops around it both games. Why would you guys "allow" it? Do you have to request permission for it like a special character?? I actually played it in a local campaign (interesting enough he had the LOTR model).

TheWarSmith
07-09-2006, 20:59
It's basically an uber chariot that's slower, but the ability to put a tzeentch caster up there is really appealing, cause he'd be almost impossible to really hit.

You get +1 for large shooting the howdah(I think?) but -2 for hard cover(net -1). I suppose they only count as skirmish for combat resolution, so no additional -1 for that. Also, they can't flee, which is excellent.

I'm not sure how you tied it up with skirmishers for that long. Why wouldn't he just bellow and force a ld6 test, which isn't that likely.

Anyway, despite how it performs in gameplay, it'd just be something really cool to have, don't you think?

As for "allowing" it, its rules are "exerimental" so they're in no way offical or anywhere near as playtested as army book stuff.

rhaberova
07-09-2006, 22:33
I didn't realize they're experimental, that's good to know. Although i really wouldn't care because it's not that effective. I tied it up with dogs and beast herds (yes i passed the terror checks to charge). Every turn maybe half of the units would charge and half would stay (because he did use the bellow every turn but one were he stomped one dog with a strength 10 hit). Plus in the other game i kept head butting it with the Chaos Giant to where the mammoth couldn't attack and finally ran after it failed the CR on the last turn. That's how i tied it up. If the warhounds or beast herds all fled, it had to try to restrain from pursuit. He failed a couple times doing that and ran after the hounds and went farther away from the castle. It was easy considering it costed 950-1,000 points and my hounds cost 30 and my herds cost about 120. Leadership 7 isn't that bad, and i think my general (Ld8) and Army Battle Standard (a must for beastmen)were near at the end.

Krusk
08-09-2006, 18:15
Your formatting makes my eyes sad. Please make it more readable.

tzeentchgiant
08-09-2006, 18:26
Beefpizza's at another mumakil?

He's my God :D.

(Yes, I would allow my opontent to play one, it'd be cool).

TG