PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Question

Justicar_Freezer
07-09-2006, 01:44
I'd like some opinions on an idea of mine. Basically I'd like to do my own space marine chapter. This chapter would be based upon the bear in some way. Sort of like the space wolves but with a bear theme. Now the main idea I have is of taking bikers and mounting them on the Kislev special characters bear for a real nice piece of my army and to represent the swift, feroicous side of the bear. Those would take up my fast attack slots. Now I want terminators to represent the slow, ponderous and deadly aspect of the bear. Thus there go my elite slots. Now I don't know if I should take for troops mostly scouts or just plain full 10 man tactical squads. Also there would be no heavy vehicles in this list because I already have a sorta tank heavy blood angel force. Now my questions.

1.) Should I use any traits for this army to make them fit the bear theme better or just take a plain old marine list?

2.) Which do you think would fit the theme better. Full 10 man tactical squads or scout squads?

3.) Which type of Hq do you think would be best. I'd like to convert up a terminator Chapter Master with twin lighting claws to lead the force but perhaps a Lib or a Chaplian would be a better option?

4.) Lastly do you think a marine army like this would work well and also do you think it would be fun and interesting to play against?

Thanks for any insight guys.

themagister
07-09-2006, 01:54
sorry if i forget some of your questions, but i think scouts would be really cool as kinda a swift moving, hit and run style element. i terminator with lightning claws would be sweet with like, bear pelts and talismans and stuff. i also really like the idea of those guys actuallly RIDING bears! it carries a total warg rider feel to it. that army would be pretty fun to convert and play with, really great idea man!!!!

phantumdude
07-09-2006, 02:09
1)If I were you I'd use the special trait where they can trade in their bolter for a bolt pistol and a ccw, so that way you could model bearclaw knifes to add to the feel of the army.
2)I'd go the tacticle sqaud because bears are huge and have a bulky look to them, and so do space marines.
3)Chapter master with lightning claws would be my choice. Again because of the modeling oppertunities. You could convert a chaos "talon" lightning claw so that way it looks like a bear paw with claws on each hand.
4)Well no theme armies work perticularly well, but they are always envigorating to play against and with, so I'd go for it.
Also try to use a bear on a leash somewhere in the army. (It just lookes cool to think about.)

UnRiggable
07-09-2006, 02:36
Chaplain with lightning claws. In his retinue fit as many lightning claws as you can. Get jump packs and fly over there, reroll failed to hit rolls, reroll failed to wound rolls, and ignore saves. Bonus points for the 'furious charge' attribute.

insectum7
07-09-2006, 04:05
Bears in SPAAAAAAAAAACE!!

Captain Optimus Metallus
07-09-2006, 04:25
Chaplain with lightning claws. In his retinue fit as many lightning claws as you can. Get jump packs and fly over there, reroll failed to hit rolls, reroll failed to wound rolls, and ignore saves. Bonus points for the 'furious charge' attribute.

Won't work. Not everyone in the Command Squad can take Jump Packs. So you're gonna have to wait for the minimum of 1 bastard without a Jump Pack to die before they can actually use their jumps packs. Very stupid, IMO. GW should've allowed for Command Squads with Jump Packs or Bikes, but oh well.

Besides, flying bears? What're they, Care Bears, held aloft on the wings of love and friendship? :p

GrimZAG
07-09-2006, 05:09
1.) If i were you i would take the normal list because it won't leave you hanging in those rare games that your drawback is a major problem, either that or take the infiltrate skill and use infiltrating marines covered in bear pelts, it seems to me you like scouts so this could work as well.

2.) Tactical squads and scout squads, you could use scouts as a compliment to the hulking tactical squads that do most of the fighting/dying.

3.) If you are in to combat then take a chaplin, but i would take your idea of a terminator commander with twin lightning claws, i mean, how cool is that!! plus his special skill is pretty useful all the time rather than the chaplin only fighting in close combat

4.) I believe that you have given this a fair bit of thought and sound really into the idea, i love the marines riding bears, such a nice idea, i would love to play against this army, purely because it is sweet.

good job

Asq_Dak
07-09-2006, 08:46
GW should've allowed for Command Squads with Jump Packs or Bikes, but oh well.

They do allow jump packs for blood angel honour guards (basically one of their chapter traits), but they don't have all the benefits of a command squad (like attaching other characters).

I also thought you can almost get a biker command squad for raven wing? or if not then perhaps in the new rules? wasted opportunity otherwise.

They bear idea is really cool tho - I'd use as manay terminator models with lightning claws as is appropriate!

Not sure if the kislev bear is too bulky tho, but it would lead to interesting marine riding conversions!

Sleazy
07-09-2006, 09:16
I think that bear might be a little on the big side. maybe for your Commander?

what about smaller alternatives for others? green stuff up a Warg perhaps?

Krypt
07-09-2006, 09:24
2.) Which do you think would fit the theme better. Full 10 man tactical squads or scout squads?

I would say 10 man tac squads, for bear's in general they arn't exactly the silent type, employing stealth to kill their prey as wolves would, they use their size and shear strength to overpower their prey/enemy, and as such this would be reflected in 10 man tac squads, total straight-in-your-face firepower.

That's my input, also, on the subject of the strength and power of the bear etc, devastator squads would be a must for me.

Sweet idea, hope it works out for you.

Krypt

3 0f 6
07-09-2006, 09:27
hahaha a bear riding commander, i have to see that!!!!! how about modeling up a uber commander almost wholly in a bear costumne, i get the vision of the diablo2 druid, and lightning claws would give you nice fluff

Justicar_Freezer
07-09-2006, 21:35
Alright guys, thanks for all the replies. Now all I need to do is sell off my poor eldar and Imperial guard armies which are pretty much collecting dust to get the funding for this army. Also need to think up some cool fluff and background for these guys as well as a name because Space Bears just sounds silly.

Kegluneq
07-09-2006, 22:08
As an offshoot - give your army a Russian theme as well, Communist or Orthodox. Russia is after all the Bear, and it would be an appropriate theme for an army that is otherwise shades of brown...

Edit: The latin for bear is 'ursa', which is going to be difficult to fit into a Chapter name, although it makes for a nice homeworld. In Norse it's 'Bjorn'; in Russian 'Medvek'. Perhaps they could be named something along the lines of Sons of Bjorn? (Possible confusion with the Space Puppies character, but to be honest he could even be the inspiration.)

Edit2: I think this would be a fine chapter to play against, if you spend time getting the look right... I'd say an extremely heavy emphasis on powerful, hard hitting characters - lots of assault terminators, power weapons, plasma pistols and similar. The Space Wolves should be your main influence here; if you want to go with the Russian theme, think of how that would apply to their chapter structure. They could be heavily religious (with an Orthodox rather than gothic feel, predominantly light colours and gold) or heavily utilitarian (Communist collectives providing the resources of the chapter).

marv335
07-09-2006, 22:40
why not use the blood angel rules for this army?

Justicar_Freezer
08-09-2006, 01:36
well I already have an army of the boys in red thus I want to do something different. That and I don't feel the rules for the Blood Angles would really represent the feel of warriors who emphasis the bear spirit in battle. Now I've been doing some thinking on how to paint them. I was thinking different breeds of bear to represent the different units. Like Tactical painted up in a black bear way. Terminators in a Kodiak or Grizzly way. Characters in a polar bear fashion and as for other units I need to research more bear breeds. I like the Russian idea perhaps a red star upon a bear's paw for the chapter symbol. As for names Sons of Bjorn dosen't sound to bad or how about the Medvek Brotherhood. The last one sounds a bit chaosy I know but that may fit into the background I end up making for them.

GrimZAG
08-09-2006, 04:35
what about space wolf rules?

DMP
08-09-2006, 06:05
what about space wolf rules?

I agree here. Wolves and bears are two common choices of totem animals, space wolf rules would fit really well I think.