PDA

View Full Version : Felix and Gotrek a success?

de Selby
07-09-2006, 20:04
A couple of months ago GW released a 'Felix, Gotrek and Friends' set of new miniatures for collectors. They were unusually expensive and it was obvious that more work had been put into the sculpts.

At the time I heard that this was part of a diversification by GW into
1)expensive collectors' minis.
2)ordinary stuff for games, including some cheap plastic stuff like Skull Pass for starters.

Is this going ahead? Did many people buy the collectors' Gotrek and Felix? If they did, what will be next in this range?

Or was it always intended as a one-off?

BlazeXI
07-09-2006, 20:24
I have to say that GW probably overdid with the quantity of Limited releases recently.
Every new army has at least 2 direct only minis, plus the Army Deal Mini, then you get the Games Day minis, event minis, anniversary minis, T-Shirts, dioramas, counters. Now with 7th edition you get the Book and Gamers Edition, two separate LE. With such quantities gamers have to consider which to buy. The Felix, Gotrek and friends will be there after the splash releases of 7th edition will be gone.
I have quite a few such minis and T-Shirts. I intend to buy the set, but not in the near future.

If I were to make a bet, apart of the two main heroes the foil pack that sells most is Snorii.

UltimateNagash
07-09-2006, 21:21
Don'r forget Forge World's Manta!

Quin 242
07-09-2006, 21:34
Maybe It's just me BUT I would have bought the set if it was scaled to playing with. The wizard guy looked cool as h@ll and while I have one set of fantasy sized G&F the new ones had some cool details.

At "paint to look pretty" size there wasn't a reason to buy them.

KingM
07-09-2006, 22:11
To be honest I was tempted to buy a set simply to encourage GW to make more of this kind of thing. I may still do if I can get the time and cash together (I would really only buy the full set with the display base, buying them separately seems a bit of a waste). I don't mind that they aren't Warhammer scale as I paint a lot of models purely for display purposes and I prefer larger scales anyway.

Danteng7
08-09-2006, 10:40
I bought a set. The minis are not bad. Find them expensive though. I always like Gotrek and Felix, thats why I bought them!

I feel u can always take a look at ebay to see the demand and how much people are willingly to pay for minis. Not much ppl are selling the Gotrek and party series. I believe the demand for limited editions marines are higher than the rest.

violenceha
08-09-2006, 11:00
I think you can only say that more work was put into the sculpts when you compare them to the rest of the fantasy range, I buy almost everything GW release, but didn't find them to be appealing at all, the 40k stuff is much nicer. I would buy more expensive, higher quality sculpts, but they'd have to be a lot better than what was offered up with the Gotrek and Felix sculpts.

Senbei
08-09-2006, 15:54
E-Bay is very hit & Miss for rare stuff... I picked up a 2nd/3rd Ed Plague cart for less than £7... And a 24 Strong 'Nightmare Legion' set for less than £1 a mini....

Cypher
09-09-2006, 09:10
I havent got a set simply because I cant spare that much cash atm. When I can, I'll probably try to find a set.

Personally Id like to see more sets such as this - they look fantastic and I get a kick out of painting cool models such as this. Maybe one "display set" a year would be good. Im thinking Emperor v Horus perhaps? ;)

Bloody Gauntlet
09-09-2006, 21:39
I bought them and intend to use them for WHFB. They're not particularly oversized, and I'll re-base them on regular sized bases. The wizard is especially cool!

75hastings69
09-09-2006, 21:51
they are only 34mm scale as compared to 28mm but if you put them on a gaming base next to a normal mini you can instantly tell they are a different scale.

BTW I was told before they were released that if they proved popular we could see other BL characters immortalised like this.

sigur
10-09-2006, 11:36
Maybe this set was a first try at having some kind of "advanced range" for experienced hobbyists. I have no clue how well the whole thing sells but in my opinion, it's not a very good idea. If people buy miniatures just to paint/convert them, they just go and buy blisters of the standard ranges/scale miniatures. People who are not into the G&F novels (like me) most likely just ignore the offer of having these characters as out-of-scale miniatures.

Making the miniatures Inquisitor scale (54mm IIRC), it would have ensured them a bit better sales because of all the conversion possibilities this scale offers in connection with the already existant =][= miniatures but maybe this wouldn't have justified the production cost (are these even a factor when it comes to limited edition miniatures?), who knows.

t-tauri
10-09-2006, 12:02
The slight out of scale factor makes them a non-starter for me. Same as Inquisitor. Too much time and money invested in 28mm scale minis and terrain to want to move up and start again from scratch.

Axel
10-09-2006, 12:33
I like the novels, and would have considered them if they had the correct scale. I see absolutely no reason in introducing an new scale on the market, between the classical 28mm variants and the 54mm. I hope they do not do that again.