PDA

View Full Version : Army book validity?

Wolfgang
08-09-2006, 00:39
So it looks like O&G's and Empire are getting new books soon, otherwise I've heard that the existing 6th ed. army books are still valid in 7th.
Is there any truth to this?
Can't quite frankly see GW missing a financial trick by not requiring players to buy new army books yet again........

althathir
08-09-2006, 00:56
They'll be valid, you have nothing to worry about.

laughingman
08-09-2006, 00:57
lol, no way man, they are still legal, they are just redoing them. But until that time in the future so long from now, keep on playing.

alextroy
08-09-2006, 00:59
Until GW has time to revise them ;), which will take years before they get through all of them.

I'm just glad that Empire is second in line.

Wolfgang
08-09-2006, 01:32
Thanks for the replies!
I am at this point mainly interested in Beastmen (which I've been playing most recently) and Undead (which I'm building....).
Any idea as to when they might be along?

alextroy
08-09-2006, 02:01
According to the rumors (in the Rumor Roundup), Vampire Counts in the fall of 2007. As for Beastmen, later. Probably much later.

sodapopinski
08-09-2006, 02:28
Read the forum rules, no new threads to ask questions, dont be lazy and read the roundup or use the search function ;)

rhaberova
08-09-2006, 05:42
Weren't the beastmen the second to last (Ogre Kingdoms being the last) to be redone?....If so you have a few years, at least :)

devolutionary
08-09-2006, 06:02
Elves and Dwarves were both the last releases for 6th Ed, so no, not quite accurate, though Dwarves I believe are at least on their 7th version

druchii
08-09-2006, 06:11
Sorry,
Down(up?) here in the states the army books are about 20 bucks.
While I'm not "happy" to shell out 20 bucks for an army book (I'd love to pay 10!) it really doesn't hurt my feelings.

Now if you're worried about your army actually becoming invalid, "counts as" is your best friend.

Lordsaradain
08-09-2006, 07:58
but as soon as the 7th ed O&G book is released, the th ed one will become unuseable, right?

vinush
08-09-2006, 08:21
The most recent army book for an army is the valid one. Anything before that becomes out of date and unusable.

The dwarf army book was re-done in 6th edition, but with 7th edition rules in mind. The same goes for Wood Elves, meaning that although released in 6th edition they are actually 7th edition army books.

I'm quite upset that I have to wait til December to get my hands on the new Empire army book. It is the oldest army book out there, and as such it pales against many of the newer books due to the whole belief from GW designers that the new army book needs to be shinier than the last, and therefore the newest army book is hard as nails compared to the last, and the first armies to be released don't even have a chance to beat the newest ones.

But that's just a huge bug-bear of mine.

Vince.

rhaberova
08-09-2006, 08:33
The most recent army book for an army is the valid one. Anything before that becomes out of date and unusable.

The dwarf army book was re-done in 6th edition, but with 7th edition rules in mind. The same goes for Wood Elves, meaning that although released in 6th edition they are actually 7th edition army books.

I'm quite upset that I have to wait til December to get my hands on the new Empire army book. It is the oldest army book out there, and as such it pales against many of the newer books due to the whole belief from GW designers that the new army book needs to be shinier than the last, and therefore the newest army book is hard as nails compared to the last, and the first armies to be released don't even have a chance to beat the newest ones.

But that's just a huge bug-bear of mine.

Vince. You're right, my friends have said that many times. With the exception of ogre kingdoms, the just blow. How do the 7th edition rules help/hurt empire? Did they help empire out with any new rules?

Mr_Rose
08-09-2006, 08:51
Grapeshot is now unbelievable: Make sure you never ever ever fail a charge against a cannon, much less a battery; your unit will disappear...
Pistoliers are now slightly more awesome due to multiple-shot pistols.
Knights of the white wolf got better relative to everyone else's greatweapon knights aaand...
That's about it really...

Pokpoko
08-09-2006, 09:55
Pistoliers are now slightly more awesome due to multiple-shot pistols.
so, the rumour about them having move-or-shoot due to the "fusiliade" is now debunked?

Lordsaradain
08-09-2006, 12:13
Pistolliers ave been nerfed, IMO, as the 7th ed pistol rules prevents pistols from being used as anything other than a hand weapon in combat. So no more S4 armour piercing attacks for pistoliers in combat...

Ironhand
08-09-2006, 13:43
According to Alessio, GW was particularly careful when writing 7th edition not to invalidate any of the Army Books. He mentions one magic item (Sacrament of the Lady) that isn't valid any more, and the Raiders rule doesn't give Beastmen the advantage it used to since you need 5 wide now to count for rank bonus. Other than that, everything should be cool.

Scythe
08-09-2006, 14:22
Weren't the beastmen the second to last (Ogre Kingdoms being the last) to be redone?....If so you have a few years, at least :)

After VCs its gets really blurry imho, nothing set in stone. Some mention reworks of dark and high elves after that, but really, anything is possible over the timescale of a few years.

Fabiusbile
08-09-2006, 16:27
@ Vinush: I don't want to attack you or get someone to get upset, but I find the empire Army List to be quite good in terms of competitive play. Some choices are not that viable like Engineers or Magic Weapons. I'm sure many people think the same way (Especially since the Steamtank was introduced). Core cavalry with S4 and a relatively low point cost is quite good. I agree with your view if you try to play a traditional, infantry based army.

back on topic :P : I somehow don't see them redoing Chaos any time soon, as HoW and BoC are connected in a very unique way and I somehow doubt that id would be easy to redo just one of them and then wait some years and release the next. So I think the chaos books will be the very last, maybe connected with a possible Dawi-Zharr release... [I can still dream, can I :(?]

eldrak
08-09-2006, 17:43
Grapeshot is now unbelievable: Make sure you never ever ever fail a charge against a cannon, much less a battery; your unit will disappear...

The template isn't very large, i thought the old rules were much more evil, now it's just like a short range flame cannon without the autopanic.
And btw why can't the flame cannon use something similar to grapeshot? It shouldn't be safer to get nearer the nozzle of it :wtf:

Crazy Harborc
08-09-2006, 20:07
Each of the current armies has advantages the other don't. I have learned the hard way to play each army differently. Empire and Orcs DON'T play the same way. I use Orc T4 shooters as "shields" for HtH units. Crossbows in Empire armies T4, 30" max are NOT shields, they are long range killers.

When I am in the mood to push Orcs, Elves, whatever....I push them onto the table. I don't wait for the rules to make any army "the only one to play (win with)".

If an army is one I can't enjoy playing/games with I would play a different army and sell or trade off the one I thought was broken.;)