PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Eldar

Brother Muninn
08-09-2006, 05:08
So a friend of mine is going to jump on the wagon and start a small Eldar force when the Codex comes out.

The theme/background he's going for though is that his Craftworld, or at least the Farseers, are a little bit crazy due to a malfunctioning Infinity Matrix.

I'm not 100% sure on how that would happen, but I suggested maybe the craftworld was one of the last to be finished, and the job was possibly rushed. My main idea though is that the Matrix houses a significantly depleted number of Warp Spiders (the actual creatures, not the Aspect Warriors). Warp Spiders are like symbiotic caretakers within the Infinity Matrix that remove taint and keep the thing in good repair. So if there are few/no spiders it'd likely negatively effect the functionality of the world.

Can anyone else think of a good reason I could pass along to my buddy for a Craftworld to be schizophrenic?

IJW
08-09-2006, 05:19
I suggested maybe the craftworld was one of the last to be finished, and the job was possibly rushed.
Given that some of the craftworlds were cobbled together from smaller vessels in the last days of the Fall as the Eye of Terror came into being, this seems quite likely...

Hellebore
08-09-2006, 05:21
Without spiders, the IC can't get rid of marauding souls, or daemonic intrusions.

So yes, this is a very good reason for them to be bonkers - daemons have been chewing on them for 10,000 years.

Hellebore

Khaine's Messenger
08-09-2006, 06:17
Can anyone else think of a good reason I could pass along to my buddy for a Craftworld to be schizophrenic?

How twisted do you want them to be? Because Eldar v. Eldar conflict is do-able considering lots of Farseers disagree with each other over precisely what the future holds. I mean, I think the Craftworld Eldar are twisted--consider the way their society is structured, for heaven's sake. The only "all there" Eldar you're likely to find are the Exodites, and even they've never had a very favorable portrayal in the background. All it would take to get some extreme for the CWE would be a bit of a push in the wrong direction. Ditching the warp spiders would be along those lines...improper application of the Path system's "mental partitioning" process would be another one.

Brother Muninn
08-09-2006, 06:34
well i think he's going more for the particularly mentally unbalanced angle.

For the moment I'm flowing with the Warp Spiders idea. For the moment I'm curious what exactly would cause a lack of creatures in the Craftworlds.

Do you suppose the shock wave from Slannesh's birth could have killed, or at least stagnated the spiders?

GrimZAG
08-09-2006, 11:13
Maybe you could develop the plot, in having a traitor on board the craftworld who "removed" for lack of better terminology the warp spiders, setting in motion the craziness of the farseers

Khaine's Messenger
08-09-2006, 16:33
Do you suppose the shock wave from Slannesh's birth could have killed, or at least stagnated the spiders?

It could, but it might create more questions than answers since this does not seem to be the case for other craftworlds...excepting possibly Altanasar, which we don't know much about as yet. It's possible that an imbalance in the Infinity Circuit could lead to problems with the warp spiders' capabilities to purge malign influences, but then that's working around the other way and, imho, really wouldn't taint the living beyond making construction a taxing exercise as communing with the psychoplastics of the craftworld becomes complicated. Nevermind that the Farseers probably wouldn't be that cracked unless they spent an abnormally long time communing with the Ancestors....

This depends on how you think Eldar souls work in the Infinity Circuit, of course. It's been mentioned in passing that Exarchs in general are often not allowed inside because their souls have become tainted by their dominant path-mind (although there is evidence to the contrary of this). If most of the residents of the Infinity Circuit are "whole Eldar," then dumping path-dominated (not just path-driven) Eldar into the IC could be...interesting. They might be mellowed out completely (blotted out by the weight of the combined consciousness) or cause tilting imbalances that would start to make the warp spiders overwork themselves to the point they might not recognize the difference between internal and external threats, or internal and external "friends."

Or you could just leave the explanation out entirely. Leave their disappearance or malfunctioning a mystery and give a few vague hypotheses and don't make any direct reference to this being the cause of their problems (because if that's happened then they're going to have a lot of problems that could all be blamed on one another). This may be the most satisfying for a while, although it might make conversations about their background confusing if someone pushes the issue.