PDA

View Full Version : GW trying to phase out part of their staff discount?

Black-Tooth
08-09-2006, 16:11
I've been speaking to a few people and after gathing a bit of information from each it seemed to me like GW might be trying to phase out a part of their staff discount.

GW staff members get half price on anything in the shops, but when they mail order things they get it on weight, which works out an awful lot cheaper.

The reason I say this is I've noticed alot of metal components not being available for mail order, like some of the new Chaos lord parts for 40K. They also seem to not be selling sprues seperately for box sets that come with only one sprue in them, such as the new Tau Stealth Suits.

Alot of the new releases fit into the one sprue a box catagory, so they won't be avialable for mail order as well, such as the new fantasy Orc boss, the Night goblins, and the goblin fanatics (fanatics come in a seperate box to the night goblins). It seems a trend they're continuing with, and I know a few staff members who have complained about it.

Do you think they're trying to make this part of the GW staff discount redundant so staff have to pay more, so they get more money? Could it be they're trying to phase out component parts from Mailorder (I doubt it, as they keep releasing mailorder only stuff), or is it just a coincidence?

IJW
08-09-2006, 16:35
Sounds like just a coincidence.

BrainFireBob
08-09-2006, 19:04
I rather had thought they were trying to prevent modellers and vets from just ordering sprues, trying to force purchase of full boxed sets- and any staff fallout is irrelevent. Thank goodness for overpriced Battlewagon Bitz.

The Judge
08-09-2006, 19:13
I think it's just to ease the system, rather than some awful conspiracy. Less codes mean less effort...

syrme
08-09-2006, 19:43
maybe gw are worried about the tax implications - could the staff discounts come under P11D rules and be classed as benefits in kind?

BrainFireBob
08-09-2006, 20:32
Still irritating.

If I want a specific pair of arms for my Space Marine veteran, I can troll stores endlessly till I find a blister with them- or I can keep ordering bits as a crap-shoot from GW until I get the ones I need.

Far as I'm aware, it was with the SM Vets that this first showed up.

Persephone
08-09-2006, 20:36
They have changed the staff discounts numerous times.

The Orange
08-09-2006, 21:59
GW always wait at least a few months before they put up the bits for new items. I don't know how long it will take but you could call up GW and see when they will list things like bits and sprues for the new items you want to order. I'm still waiting for the Tau bits to show up (got to order me some skyray sprues :p ). I doubt theirs a new policy.

spikyjames
09-09-2006, 09:40
i'm pretty sure as people have already said, if you call up they'll be able to get the bit you need for you. and there's always the instore order point with most catalogues full of parts.

Wonderdog
11-09-2006, 09:01
I seem to recall that new models (like the chaos lord) are generally held back from bitz order for a few months after release, and staffers dont get plastic at weight anymore, its based on some arcane calculation leading to strange variances in price between items (a rhino is actually cheaper to buy in store at 50%)

#Wonderdog

Alabama-Shrimp
15-09-2006, 01:43
noone has mentioned that staff get a 50% discount anyway! very nice profit on all the stuff they make then

Mr Tiddles
15-09-2006, 07:03
very nice profit on all the stuff they make then

Hold the front page!
"Business in Profit Generation Shock!"

Now please go and visit the investor relations page: http://investor.games-workshop.com/, take a look at GW's recent annual report and digest the fact that they actually make a relatively small profit on the turnover they generate.