PDA

View Full Version : Beaky Helmets and other weird tech

Nabeshin1106
08-09-2006, 16:23
Why do they exist? Is there some kind of special equipment in the beak that other helmets don't get? I don't see why you'd want to wear a helmet like that.

Does anyone know?

(I'm talking about the Space Marine helmets that stick out in the front, like Shrike's helmet)

Post technology that you are confused about the existence of.

Quin 242
08-09-2006, 16:24
Beakie helmets are the precursor to the current helmet and YES they do contain additional equipment.

The tech wasn't as good as the current helmets apparently as they used to have the "beak" full of respirator, auto senses, radio coms, etc. If you can find anyone with the RT books then borrow them.
The beakies are actually the first Marines that got a sculpt. The current version is a varient of them.
A LOT of older players like the Beakie helmet for it's nostalgia factor and as a change from the standard MkVII helmet that the other guys all have.

The beak is also good to have graphics on. Try painting a sharks mouth or a decent skull on the new helmets :)

IJW
08-09-2006, 16:32
What Quin said. ALL Space Marines used to look like that, and most of mine still do...

Brother Smith
08-09-2006, 17:35
Beakies look better than normals.

Kage2020
08-09-2006, 17:39
Glancing factor. Rounds are more likely to "glance" off angled armour.

Kage

Gaebriel
08-09-2006, 17:39
One could also say that incoming projectiles would more easily be diverted away from the head by bouncing from the sides of the 'beak', but I doubt that was the reason for it.

Beakies all the way...

edit:
Kudos Kage... :p

Kage2020
08-09-2006, 17:40
Ha! Beat you to it. I just think that the designer had a fetish for the Wombles.

Kage

Ardathair
08-09-2006, 17:55
Have to give GW credit for one of their few original images.

monkey child
08-09-2006, 18:10
Isn`t it just based on old knights helmets, as im sure some of them had similar protrusions, for some reason i also used to think they looked like apothacary masks ( think bubonic pluage time).

dean
08-09-2006, 19:47
Have to give GW credit for one of their few original images.

Sniff :) :cries:

I quite remember that day in 1989 when I found WD 116 (I think 116, I have it in storage somwhere) with the first appearance of the smurfs painting guide and chapter org chart, the implants and etc.

Go beakies

SisterMordagg
09-09-2006, 04:38
It's pretty simple to me:
http://www.mwart.com/images/p/Helmets_European_Pigface_Basinet_8106_9.jpg

Born Again
09-09-2006, 06:50
Always been a little confused by Tau helmets. The eye pieces are mounted vertically, despite a Tau's humanoid facial features. Does this mean their looking through a vertical visual setup in their helmets? How would this work?

Sephiroth
09-09-2006, 07:00
Always been a little confused by Tau helmets. The eye pieces are mounted vertically, despite a Tau's humanoid facial features.

You think that's bad, their also asymmetrical! Have a look at a Tau Fire Warrior model - the lenses don't go down the centre of the helmet, their off to one side on the left.

ThorOdensson
09-09-2006, 08:38
Always been a little confused by Tau helmets. The eye pieces are mounted vertically, despite a Tau's humanoid facial features. Does this mean their looking through a vertical visual setup in their helmets? How would this work?

i think the tau helmet has a display on the inside and the eye pieces are just the sensor suite

Born Again
09-09-2006, 09:06
i think the tau helmet has a display on the inside and the eye pieces are just the sensor suite

yeah that's what I figured but if their both one above the other, isn't it cutting off part of their field of vision still? Like closing one eye. Unless the sensors somehow have a 180 degree field of vision...

Escaflowne_Z
09-09-2006, 10:02
If one wishes to reference the book Fire Warrior, the helmet lenses are linked to a holographic image and HUD that the fire warrior would see. In a way, it is not unlike the auto-senses in a space marine's helmet.

MeatGrinder
09-09-2006, 10:11
I could never understand... how would you be able to see a holigraphic image that close to your face?!!

aximand
09-09-2006, 10:41
i think it should work like those cinema_glasses or vr visors or any tech that does the same already in existence,but with better quality,tech and enemy stats etc.
what a warrior sees through their helmet is described realy cool on the Horus Rising book,first chapter!

Velkyn Kyil
09-09-2006, 10:51
I could never understand... how would you be able to see a holigraphic image that close to your face?!!

I believe it would be projected directly onto your retina, much how normal vision works.

Elanthanis
09-09-2006, 12:53
I believe it would be projected directly onto your retina, much how normal vision works.

Also because it sounds cool ;)

cav da man
10-09-2006, 19:26
Also because it sounds cool ;)

that and it would "in theory" be better, its better to use tech that tricks your eyes into seing a full field of view instead of watching a tv screen

VetSgtNamaan
10-09-2006, 23:25
In one of the Horus Heresy books they mention the beakies containing additional sensors. It is not too far fetched to think they were designed to be scouts or pointmen perhaps. In any case most of my collection is composed of beakies I do love them :D

IJW
10-09-2006, 23:28
They weren't designed to be scouts or pointmen, they were just designed before the other models...

Outlaw289
10-09-2006, 23:42

Think of it like a high-tech VirtualBoy display

Zephro
10-09-2006, 23:45
My friend has a virtualboy, they're bloody weird things.

Outlaw289
10-09-2006, 23:47
It'd be cool if someone saved all their Beakie heads and made Assault Squads exclusively of Beakies :D

artificer
11-09-2006, 00:06
The 'beakie', 'MkVI', or 'Corvus' armour was the first modeled (as has already been mentioned). The 5 previous Mks were established in the first edition of 40k 'Rogue Trader'. The MkVI 'beakie' armour was an evolution of the MkIV armour, itself an evolution of the MkII 'Crusade' and MkIII 'Iron' armours. The pointed helmet was designed to deflect incoming rounds, similar to the medieval knights full helmet illustrated earlier in this post. The MkVI helmet is a direct line evolution of the MkIV.

On a personal note, the beakies, for me, are still the ultimate Space Marines. The MkVII 'Aquilla' armour is a bit dull and derivative, looking like storm troopers, the MkVIII 'Errant' is a bit better, but I started the game with the original boxes of marines (30 for 15GBP!) and they've blasted their way into my cold shrivelled heart.

I make all of my veteran SGTs MkVI marines, and all of the non-specialty marines in my command squad are MkVI as well, including the studded shoulder guard.:D

Nabeshin1106
11-09-2006, 01:04
It'd be cool if someone saved all their Beakie heads and made Assault Squads exclusively of Beakies :D

One of the owners of my LGS is making an entire beaky Blood Angels army. If any of us have spare beaky heads, he buys them off of us for $1 each. I can't wait to see it done.

Zephro
11-09-2006, 01:08
My brother uses all his ancient knobbly shouldered mk6 beakies as his veteran troops. Even though I said he should get those cool Dark Angels in robes for that.

Brother_Falco
11-09-2006, 08:30
Outlaw289 : Like the two full-sized assault squads with them I have you mean? :D
Incidentally, it takes a *very* long time to acquire twenty beaky helmets.

leonmallett
11-09-2006, 08:37
I have been giving all my beaks to a mate who was considering doing a Shrike Wing/Raven Guard army. Considering i have two foot slogging marine armies I think i passed on quite a few. Glad to be rid of them. Yes they were a cool/original (in sci-fi terms) image, but i still can't stand them. MKs I-V, VII and VIII only for helmets. Do love the new-ish studded shoulder pad however....

Sai-Lauren
11-09-2006, 10:28
You can make two full suits of MkVI armour from the latest Space Marine tactical sprue.
Only if you shave the trims off the right shoulder pad - MkVI had a totally flat pad on the right, and the studded pad on the left.
You'd also have to use legs with full greaves, rather than ones with half greaves and knee pads.:p

Lord Dante
11-09-2006, 11:17
It was all beeks in my day - I like the Mark 7 suit tho, the open mouth piece looks scary, like a big mouth.

scwolf
11-09-2006, 13:29
Incidentally, it takes a *very* long time to acquire twenty beaky helmets.

Battlewagon Bits disagrees. (http://www.battlewagon-bits.com/product/3510) (And free upgrade to Priority Mail with orders over $50)

Jim
11-09-2006, 15:43
I've managed to get a whole army of beaky headed marines...the only exception being my assualt squads which are all Mark V and Vet.Sarges who are all Mark IV...I worked in a GW Store so finding people to do swaps was not too bad....

Its definately worth it 'cos they look awesome!!!

Cheers!

Kage2020
11-09-2006, 18:32
Mk VIII armour has always been my favourite since it was introduced. That whole neck gorget thingy just did it for me!

Kage

Kage2020
11-09-2006, 22:52
You're going to be burned and damned to hell for that, Nurglitch. Or at least flamed. Be warned! ;)

:D

Kage

Lord Dante
11-09-2006, 22:58
Sail-Lauren:

Not a problem. Personally I hate all the fascist iconography and ludicrous purity seals all over the models, so I've scrapped that off too.

A nice clean suit of MkVI has a good sci-fi vibe to it.

why is it ludicrous? - thats like saying the whole ethos of 40k is silly?

Kage2020
11-09-2006, 23:02
See, Nurglitch!?

(Admittedly even I don't touch on those particularly grounds. I kind of wave my hands and go, "Yeah, it happens" and then ignore it. The spiritual interpretation and possible real-world ramifications I leave to other people who get excited about that sort of intrepretation! ;))

Erm... And - yes! - it's not ludicrious. They just have a different set of beliefs.

Kage

Chainsworded Codpiece
12-09-2006, 00:54
why is it ludicrous? - thats like saying the whole ethos of 40k is silly?

You're being funny, right?

Oh, great Gxd, please tell me you're being funny.

I love the ugly brutal spirit of the game too, but, you know, it ain't High Art conceptually.

artificer
12-09-2006, 01:00
I love the ugly brutal spirit of the game too, but, you know, it ain't High Art conceptually.

You mean paintings of fat naked ladies reclining on couches holding bunches of grapes, or four hours of fat germans shouting at each other set to music?

:D

Chainsworded Codpiece
12-09-2006, 01:04
You mean paintings of fat naked ladies reclining on couches holding bunches of grapes, or four hours of fat germans shouting at each other set to music?

HAW! (falls off of chair)

artificer
12-09-2006, 01:14
actually, I was BFA in both Fine Arts and Comparative Philosophy/Religion (talk about bloody-useless degrees!).

I find that the study of something tends to diminish my respect for it :D

artificer
12-09-2006, 01:32
Not really, it's a bit like "seeing the man behind the curtain". Once I know a fair bit about something, the 'magic' is lost, and consequently, I generally have a little less respect for it.

The cost of school was well worth it to find out exactly how I REALLY think about things (gods know it sure wasn't about a career).

back to beakies!

Dais
12-09-2006, 02:34
i have a halfway off topic question: why is it you dont see any parts or whole suits from iron or thunder armor produced? or even converted?
i love the mk1 marines (except for the weird topknot and gun).

Lord Dante
12-09-2006, 11:04
If someone cares to explain why purity seals in are daft im all ears.

Zealots who dont carry religous trinkets?... I must be mad.

My mother lectures Art History - and im a BAs Industrial Designer - with a big art background.

From both angles I see nothing wrong with SM being covered in tiny purity seals etc...

artificer
12-09-2006, 11:52
i have a halfway off topic question: why is it you dont see any parts or whole suits from iron or thunder armor produced? or even converted?
i love the mk1 marines (except for the weird topknot and gun).

thunder armour is not atmospherically sealed (not airtight) and dates back to the unification wars on terra (pre-crusade). So they were phased out as the
crusades moved off terra.

The fluff says that a few chapters (would probably be from the original 20 founding chapters, minus the traitors) still use them as ceremonial pieces.

Iron Armour was designed to be primarily for boarding actions, where ALL of the incoming fire is from the front. The front of the armour is extremely thick, with thinner rear plates.

The fluff for this makes less sense, it says that a few suits are still used for boarding actions. However, it's generally accepted that a marine's armour is HIS (due to the machine-spirit) so I don't see a suit sitting around for long periods of time in favor of ANOTHER suit and still operating happily.

On a gaming note:
You can still buy a few of the earlier Mks in lead from the GW classics section.
Also, if you're clever and know where to look, you can, with minor conversion, put together a whole suit of MkV armour (Heresy) with little work.
MkIV and MkVI are possible with NO conversion.

IJW
12-09-2006, 11:54
The fluff for this makes less sense, it says that a few suits are still used for boarding actions. However, it's generally accepted that a marine's armour is HIS (due to the machine-spirit) so I don't see a suit sitting around for long periods of time in favor of ANOTHER suit and still operating happily.
Well, apart from Terminator suits... :)

artificer
12-09-2006, 12:02
As I understand it, most who wear the terminator suit do so exclusively...
meaning that their previous armour would be re-consecrated for use by another.

Of course, GW has waffled a bit on these types of fluff over the last two decades.

ThorOdensson
12-09-2006, 22:01
I thought that marines dont really care for 'machine spirit' or devotion to ritual in regards to there machines like the AM and most chapters were generally more secular and practical in such matters ie if it works there is no reason not to do it (Predator Annilator is an example of this)

In regards to purity seals i think that they should provide completely clean armor on the sprues because you can always add seals`they provide onto clean armor but its a prick to get rid of molded on seals if you want the clean look seals should be like ammo pouches in that if you dont want them you dont have to put thm on.

Nazguire
16-09-2006, 01:08
I thought that marines dont really care for 'machine spirit' or devotion to ritual in regards to there machines like the AM and most chapters were generally more secular and practical in such matters ie if it works there is no reason not to do it (Predator Annilator is an example of this)

In regards to purity seals i think that they should provide completely clean armor on the sprues because you can always add seals`they provide onto clean armor but its a prick to get rid of molded on seals if you want the clean look seals should be like ammo pouches in that if you dont want them you dont have to put thm on.

I don't think it has ever been entirely clear the actual stance the Astartes has towards the Cult Mechanicus. On one hand you have the stated extreme respect for armour, weapon and machine (treating their armour and bolter like a lost son for example), the Dreadnought (as much a work of art as it is a war machine) and the Tech Marines (who train on Mars with the Adeptus Mechanicus).

On the other you have examples like the Land Raider Crusader, the Predator Annihilator and other field improvements that the Adeptus Mechanicus would be (and were) horrified at.