PDA

View Full Version : Move surviving fleeing troops

eldrak
08-09-2006, 17:06
I've been reading this section on p40 a couple of times now and i can't make sense of it really.

First section:
They immediately turn around (as per the turn manouvre), so that they face directly from the enemy ... [If several] they must turn to face directly away from the enemy with the highest unit strength.

Second section:
Pivot the unit on the spot to face the direction it is fleeing in and then move it...

Why does it first say turn and then pivot? The pivot should never be done (or do you flee from the center of the enemy unit as they might not be aligned center-center perpendicular to the battle line?)

Also it seems we'll get a lot of stopped pursuit in this edition as you start with the highest US unit, if you cover the width of the enemy and has one of their flanks engaged you will always stand still as you cannot pursue trough friendly models (only fleeing units can go trough enemy/friendy units involved in the same combat without being halted).

edit:
hahaha, I just noticed they used a unit 4 wide in most of the skirmisher examples.

DeathlessDraich
09-09-2006, 10:26
Also it seems we'll get a lot of stopped pursuit in this edition as you start with the highest US unit, if you cover the width of the enemy and has one of their flanks engaged you will always stand still as you cannot pursue trough friendly models (only fleeing units can go trough enemy/friendy units involved in the same combat without being halted).

I think 'pivot' is simply a repetition of 'turn around' phrased differently and probably should be used in the same sense as 'pivot' in the pursuit rules i.e. to allow fleeing units to face in the right direction even though it might mean having to move them 'through' other friendly fleeing units.

In the case of 'pivot' in the pursuit rules, I don't think that is taken to mean an exact pivot but a 'pivot of convenience' as diagram 43.1 shows the scenario you mentioned above allowing a pursuit of the flanking unit. It has 'pivoted' through a friendly unit.

The aim of the word pivot it seems is to make sure that the centres of pursuing units remain unchanged during the 'turn' which in itself is not a turn for the flank pursuing unit but more of a wheel.
For a fleeing unit, pivot, as used here is irrelevant because of the skirmisher formation but it may be useful in establishing exact fleeing lines.

Maybe GW is being meticulous?:eek:

Referring to diag. 43.1, what is your interpretation if the dice rolls of the pursuers are 5, 8 and 6 instead of 5,6 and 8?

T10
09-09-2006, 10:29
The enemy with the highest unit strength will be in one of the unit's four quadrants: front, left, right or rear. By turning the individual models the enemy will be in their rear quadrant. This reduces the amount you need to pivot.

Since you will be fleeing in a direct line, the unit needs to be facing in that direction. Pivoting the unit resolves this fairly.

You can then complete flee move the unit by moving it directly forward, allowing your to clearly determine if it passes through enemies, hostiles or what-ever.

-T10