PDA

View Full Version : 7th Edition Template Hits on Chariots

NakedFisherman
08-09-2006, 18:18
In 7th Edition, template hits on ridden monsters are not randomized between the riders and mounts.

However, the entry for 'Characters & Chariots' states:

Characters can ride chariots in much the same way as they ride large monsters. When shooting at a chariot, the hits are randomized between the character and the chariot itself. Roll a D6. On a roll of 6, the attack hits the character. On a 1-5, it hits the chariot.

So do I take 'Characters can ride in chariots in much the same way as they ride large monsters' to mean that template hits affect them the same way?

Before you tell me to read RAW, please note that template hits and shooting hits are entirely different -- an attack can be from a template without it counting as shooting (Pit of Shades, Pestilent Breath, etc.).

I also assume all spells that are not magic missiles and are not otherwise noted as having their hits distributed as shooting (Uranon's Thunderbolt, Forked Lightning, Master of Stone, Master of the Wood, etc.) have their hits distributed as shooting.

Avian
09-09-2006, 10:06
an attack can be from a template without it counting as shooting (Pit of Shades, Pestilent Breath, etc.)
To be precise, if it uses a template it is NOT distributed as shooting and vice versa.

Peegore
09-09-2006, 11:13
Way I read it is -

p64 Chars in chariots much the same as ridden large monsters...shooting randomised, 1-5 chariot, 6 character

p60 missile shots 1-4 monster, 5-6 character.
Weapon OR spell template hit either covers and autohits all model, or hits each individual part on 4+ if partially covered. Randomise centre-point hit as per shooting. ( and as this is a chariot, use chariot specific shooting rule )

So, templates hit as per ridden monster, but randomised results use the modified 1-5 and 6 rule due to the multipart nature of the chariot.

Sorry for not using full exact wording but you'll either agree with this or not anyway havinf read the rules yourself;)

Festus
09-09-2006, 11:58
Hi

In 7th Edition, template hits on ridden monsters are not randomized between the riders and mounts.

So do I take 'Characters can ride in chariots in much the same way as they ride large monsters' to mean that template hits affect them the same way?
Yes, what is the problem here?

In 7th, a template hits every part automatically (whole model under the template) or on 4+ (only part of model under the template). I daresay you more often have the latter, considering chariot-sizes.
So the character will be hit on 4+, and the chariot will be hit on 4+ as well (the big hit will be randomized) ...

... this could indeed mean that an exact hit with a stonethrower on a chariot may not make any damage at all - if both parts roll 3-. But it luckily doesn't, as the Stonethrower's rules say that the model under the hole will *automatically* suffer the big hit. Pretty weird and inconsistent, if you ask me :(

Festus

Peegore
09-09-2006, 12:24
... this could indeed mean that an exact hit with a stonethrower on a chariot may not make any damage at all - if both parts roll 3-. But it luckily doesn't, as the Stonethrower's rules say that the model under the hole will *automatically* suffer the big hit. Pretty weird and inconsistent, if you ask me :(
Festus

Yeah I noticed that one. So -
If all parts miss, But the hole is over the model one of the parts is automatically Big Hit ( randomised as 1-5,6 chariot shooting rule ) as per rule. OK

If 1 part is hit, then that will be Big Hit IF hole is over model. OK
i
If 2 parts are hit, Still randomise Big Hit as per Chariot shooting rule IF hole is over model. OK

I think this covers it. till the next post....;)

Avian
10-09-2006, 11:46
Easy way of doing it:
- If the hole is over the chariot, randomise who takes the big hit
- Whichever part did not take the big hit, takes a small hit on a 4+