PDA

View Full Version : Painted Forgeworld Keeper of Secrets

Jaybot
08-09-2006, 22:45
Hey guys, I was really interested in starting an Emperor's Children army, and I really wanted to include a Keeper of Secrets that Forgeworld made, but I can't seem to find a painted version of it. So I wanted to ask you guys if you had any pics of it painted could you please post it?

I really wanted to see how the color scheme was approached on this model and wanted to get a basic idea before I tackled painting one up for my future army.

So far I was really thinking of something like the Demonettes thats foudn in the Chaos Codex, but I still don't know.

If you even have any suggestions please tell me I would really appreciate it.

AsuryanofUlthwe
08-09-2006, 22:52
Search the GW website, one of the golden daemon winners was a FW Keeper of Secrets.

Jaybot
08-09-2006, 23:46
Search the GW website, one of the golden daemon winners was a FW Keeper of Secrets.

Do you know which country?

Jaybot
09-09-2006, 00:08
Okay nvm I found it, it was the 2006 Baltimore one.

Heres the link if any one is interested.

http://demonwinner.free.fr/usa/2006Baltimore/slayer_sword.php?p=142

Chem-Dog
09-09-2006, 05:12
I have to say, Yuck. It's extrodinarily well painted but the colours are horrid.

Ill Eagle
09-09-2006, 05:16
Another one.
http://www.coolminiornot.com/113326

Chainsworded Codpiece
09-09-2006, 07:05
I have to say, Yuck. It's extrodinarily well painted but the colours are horrid.

Um, yeah. That's the idea. KoS aren't supposed to be comforting-looking.

Their seduction draws you in despite your repulsion at their alien, jarring form.

Salmon-Orange plus Land-Lady Green, and other molar-drilling color combos... ARE GOOD.

Kriegsherr
09-09-2006, 08:59
blääääärgh!

Why do some twisted slaanesh player paint the skin color of their demons in ugly human skin color!!! Its not only boring, it looks yuck! combined with the blue and pink and black of normal slannesh gear.

This is how I think slannesh demons should be painted: see attached pics.

Everything IMHO.

And granted, the GD winner has painted her (?) demon quite well... but it makes the ugly color choice even more questionable.

ekister101
09-09-2006, 15:46
Yeah I hate the first one too. Seems such a waste of all that time and on a FW model. But the second one on cool mini is MUCH nicer and more "slanneshi" to me. Just my opinion. I have seen that GD winner before and I thought "why"?

mooserehab86
09-09-2006, 15:54
I think they're great in the sense that their owners did a nice job painting them, but like several other people here I think they should have picked different colors. Especially the one that used human skin tones. I think a Keeper of Secrets would look much better when painted in a similar manner to most Daemonettes, like the GW ones with a bluish skin tone.

Chainsworded Codpiece
09-09-2006, 16:14
like several other people here I think they should have picked different colors. Especially the one that used human skin tones.

Are we all looking at the same miniature?

Since when is that color of orange a "normal" or "human" skin-tone?

With chemical additions, perhaps...but the only people I've ever seen who are that color are covered with chemical "spray-tans" that are improperly applied, and are ON TV. Under TV light, you see, with wierd crap in their pores.

There's nothing natural, or normal, or "human" about that chroma. I admit, it ain't blue, but it ain't a tan either.

Sorry to be so vociferous:) I like that ugly-ass color combo.

mooserehab86
09-09-2006, 18:18
Are we all looking at the same miniature?

Since when is that color of orange a "normal" or "human" skin-tone?

With chemical additions, perhaps...but the only people I've ever seen who are that color are covered with chemical "spray-tans" that are improperly applied, and are ON TV. Under TV light, you see, with wierd crap in their pores.

There's nothing natural, or normal, or "human" about that chroma. I admit, it ain't blue, but it ain't a tan either.

Sorry to be so vociferous:) I like that ugly-ass color combo.

Perhaps we're not looking at the same miniature. I was referring to this one http://www.coolminiornot.com/113326

I think that looks relatively close to human skin.

I didn't say that you aren't allowed to like the color scheme. I said that I don't.

ThousandPlateaus
09-09-2006, 19:33
Just quickly wanted to add that I loveloveloveLOVE that Ms.Zara O'Secrets model - it's utterly wonderous, and one day when I'm rich I will certainly own one.

One of the best FW sculpts ever, and despite not having a bull head, it makes for a perfect and glorious KoS.

The godawful GW one just doesn't even come close. Bleugh.

Not too sure on those paint schemes to be honest - I'd go for a white skin with ice/pastel blue highlights.

yerpo
09-09-2006, 20:00
What's this obsession with "official" colour schemes about? Sheesh, a guy pulls off a really inventive paint job that perfectly reflects the riot of senses Slaanesh is all about, and you start whining how much better it would look painted like a million other Daemonettes. I for one am glad that the judges awarded the originality of this painter.

ekister101
09-09-2006, 20:46
I like the GD winner's effort in painting and it is certainly well done. I even like certain elements like the neon green on the leg and of course the swords and talon arms are great. The tatoos are also fab. But, I dislike the extensive palatte on the cloak hanging down in front and the extension of those colors into the head and hair area.

Sometimes less is better and in this case, to my eyes, the colors on the cloth hanging down detract from the other colors throughout the piece.

Is it a Goldent Daemon winner - YES, but would I want that as my paint color scheme - no.

Again, just my opinion. Perhaps I used the word hate too judiciously, it is a strong word. I love certain elements and dislike (a lot) other parts of the piece.

yerpo
09-09-2006, 21:03
Well, to each his own. I'm just saying that you shouldn't judge a color scheme by how everybody else paints their minis. I agree, the loincloth doesn't really fit in there, but the rest is very Slaaneshi. Disturbing aesthetics, perfect.

Kriegsherr
09-09-2006, 23:40
hmmmm ....

I just have to add, when I paint a mini for the table, I paint with the thing in mind that I will have to look at it when playing....

That means, when a paintscheme hurt my eyes just when I look at it, it might be that by certain interpretations it might be seen as slaanneshi, but I still don't like it. You can choose a goodlooking, not hurting-the-eyes paintscheme that still looks slaanneshi.

Jaybot
10-09-2006, 00:00
The first Slaanesh paint job I think was wonderfully done, both the color scheme and the way it was painted. http://www.sodemons.com/gd26baltimore/05-flarge/index.htm

If you go there you can see more pics of the model, and while I have decided to do mine with a more white/pink scheme for the flesh and still undecided whether to do a black leather or green leather, I still can't seem to get past the part of how well she has done the lighting on her model, it far surpasses that of the second one that was posted.

In fact just looking at how well the skin tone is done on the first model is just scary :).

But I guess I'll just have to see once I actually have the model with me.

ThousandPlateaus
10-09-2006, 00:18
I still can't seem to get past the part of how well she has done the lighting on her model, it far surpasses that of the second one that was posted.

In fact just looking at how well the skin tone is done on the first model is just scary :).

It's incredible, isn't it - uncannily good.
She must have used an airbrush or something to get such gentle hues and tones...

Lancaster
10-09-2006, 00:34
Just quickly wanted to add that I loveloveloveLOVE that Ms.Zara O'Secrets model - it's utterly wonderous, and one day when I'm rich I will certainly own one.

One of the best FW sculpts ever, and despite not having a bull head, it makes for a perfect and glorious KoS.

The godawful GW one just doesn't even come close. Bleugh.

Not too sure on those paint schemes to be honest - I'd go for a white skin with ice/pastel blue highlights.

I think anyone will agree, Crab claws do not belong on a KoS, the GW one fails at life

mooserehab86
10-09-2006, 00:39
I think anyone will agree, Crab claws do not belong on a KoS, the GW one fails at life

Are you saying that when someone says "graceful and seductive demons" you don't immediately picture lobsters?:p

n00bLord
10-09-2006, 01:53
I like the idea of a KoS to have a chuck norris appeal mixed with Mr.T and Mike Tyson. Now you have a disturbing monster.

Jaybot
10-09-2006, 02:54
It's incredible, isn't it - uncannily good.
She must have used an airbrush or something to get such gentle hues and tones...

I think she must have done that by hand. Doing it with an airbrush would probably give you too much of a spread on such a small surface, and it wouldn't have given you so much subtle hue shifts like that.

I especially like the job she did on her left thigh, its just too much to try and understand from just one picture in my opinnion. The change in color is so flawless and I love the way she kept the skin tones uneven, adding that extra bit of realism.

I really wish I could see this in real life.

Jaybot
10-09-2006, 02:56
I like the idea of a KoS to have a chuck norris appeal mixed with Mr.T and Mike Tyson. Now you have a disturbing monster.

Or a company hitting the ground so hard that it would make Enron look like a fricking non profit organization :D.

r(2)Truth
10-09-2006, 03:18
Its so repulsive...

...Yet I can't look away...