PDA

View Full Version : Wahat's up with DAKKA DAKKA?

Comandos
08-09-2006, 23:19
I have a question - Sometimes in my store I hear people - useally kids - chanting DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA. It useally comes after describing how much firepower a weapon / unit packs. Now my question is - what's up with that word? Is it supposed to be the sound Bolters make? Because it doesn't sound like that to me. In Dawn of war and in my imigination it's more like a rat - atak sound. So why do people do it and where did it come from?

PaRaSiTe_X92
08-09-2006, 23:35
Hmm, I was wondering this too. Anyone?

Inq. Veltane
08-09-2006, 23:41
Its an ork thing. Lots of Dakka... Dakka Dakka...

*shrugs* It just is.

Latro_
08-09-2006, 23:43
Daka is the Ork word for:- Attack, noisy, weapon , shoot, fight

as for where it came from hmm.
if you say it fast enoguh and arch you toungue a bit it does become machine gun like.

PaRaSiTe_X92
08-09-2006, 23:43
Stupid Orks. They never make sense :)

marv335
08-09-2006, 23:44
it's a sound associated with the firing of ork weapons
hence the upgrade "more dakka"

imrhati
08-09-2006, 23:50
loose cheaply made machine guns make a sound liek dakka dakka (i.e. AK series). that is why it is usually associated with orks.

Chainsworded Codpiece
09-09-2006, 07:20
Waitaminute.
Not just Orks.
Sorry, guys. Originally, it was the sound that bolters were supposed to make. It was transliterated as DAKKA DAKKA because it was likely easier than CHUNTwooshCHUNTwooshCHUNTwoosh...the 'plosive boom of the shell's accelerant going off and the bolt flying out of the barrel, then the woosh of the gyrojet in the bolt...all of that's happening in a millisecond. Rick Priestly, Bil (of Gobbldigook strip fame), and probably Mike Brunton, Brian Ansell, et al., decided that those noises just collided into one four-round-spew of DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA.

Space Orks, originally, carried bolters by preference anyhow. Hence, it's now associated with them, as they were most often heard explaining the function/effects of their weapons through crude onomatopeia. "Needs more dakka!"

But the first time I saw it transliterated, it was Marines shooting at Gobbldigook the "gretchin".

EDIT: I SUCK! I WAS WRONG!

I just went back and checked my copy of WD 94. The transliterated noise was BRAKA BRAKA BRAKA.

Damn it. I KNOW there was an early incidence of this noise becoming DAKKADAKKA. I just don't know where. I keep looking...is it in the main RT?

Now I have to know...

Gaebriel
09-09-2006, 08:23
I think it was pushed by Gorka Morka with those incredibly bad pictures that featured comic sounds - DAKKA for firing guns, WROOM for speeding Vehicles - you get the picture...

Where it really orriginated I have no idea - but it became famous with Orks - same as the renowned GD-Waaagh :rolleyes:

Goq Gar
09-09-2006, 09:30
Stupid Orks. They never make sense :)

Yu oomiez bettah watchit or we'ze gonna come krump ya!

Orks shout DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA in enthusiasm and because, yes, guns sound like that to orks.

IJW
09-09-2006, 09:48
I think it was pushed by Gorka Morka with those incredibly bad pictures that featured comic sounds - DAKKA for firing guns, WROOM for speeding Vehicles - you get the picture...

Where it really orriginated I have no idea - but it became famous with Orks - same as the renowned GD-Waaagh :rolleyes:
Gorkamorka? That's about nine years too late... Mr. Codpiece has the era about right. I could have sworn it first appeared in the Gobbledigook strip.

Dakkagor
09-09-2006, 11:52
Horus Rising described bolters making a noise like a "doorslam" when they fire, but in quick succession when you loose of a burst.
So
"SLAMSLAMSLAMSLAMSLAMOHDEARGODMYLEGSBEENBLOWNOFF"
I always imagined shootas making a noise like an smg, but a big caliber one. Sluggas are big pistols, so make a "BANG" noise.
Dakka is just what us orks, ork players, and other 40k players say when describing the shootieness of a particular weapon.

Orcboy_Phil
09-09-2006, 13:07
I've been playing since 92 and Dakka has always been the word used to describe shooting.

sliganian
09-09-2006, 14:11
Also realize that bolters themselves have gone from being mini-rocket launchers to bascially Uzi's (in the artwork at least). The sounds the two make would be worlds apart.

As for Dakka, to me, it has always been an Orky word. No other race uses it that I am aware of.

FWIW, I always figured a bolter had more of 'howling' noise when firing, due to the rush of air of the accelerating rockets.

Damn, I'm such a nerd. :)

FearlessFred
09-09-2006, 14:40
I've always associated "DAKKA" with fast firing shell weapons (Like a Shoota or Bolter). And since the bullet, when fired, makes a sound as such, the Orks have tried to immitate it. They have translated the sound into the actual ammunition itself, because it makes that sound, and lets face it; Guns don't go DAKKA DAKKA without their DAKKA. Catch my drift...?:wtf:

I salute thee, servant of the Emperor!

Edit: Crap, forgot to say... This is my first post! Woot!

Brother Othorio
09-09-2006, 20:57
earliest appearance i've seen of it was Space Hulk 1st edition (1989/90?): the play examples had DAKKA DAKKA to show when a terminator fired its storm bolter

Morathi's Darkest Sin
09-09-2006, 23:36
And here I was coming on expecting to find out people can't log onto Dakka Dakka's site again...

As far as I can remember the Term has always refered to Orks and their love of shooting things.

Str10_hurts
09-09-2006, 23:43
I thought it was the website that this tread was about.
DOH!
But in general dakka dakka is an orkish word for firepower.

Warlord Kyle
16-09-2006, 05:18
even in the 40k graphic novel, the space wolves bolters make dakka dakka sound effects...

DhaosAndy
16-09-2006, 08:50
Gobbledigook sounds about right for its use in a 40k context, but generaly, well isn't it what the squadron leader says over the radio in a mock attack in the Battle of Britain film (1970ish):)
Also as a small child in the 60's I'm sure we used to say dakka, dakka, dakka while holding a wooden gun, might be the memory playing tricks though;)

Elcampbello
16-09-2006, 11:05
RAF used it for training new pilots in the Battle of Britan. Instead of firing live rounds they'd screm "dakkadakkadakkadakka" over the com system.

FearlessFred
16-09-2006, 21:33
RAF used it for training new pilots in the Battle of Britan. Instead of firing live rounds they'd screm "dakkadakkadakkadakka" over the com system.

Yeah, that sounds like the British to me. :p