PDA

View Full Version : Dragons?

Brothermarcus
09-09-2006, 02:59
Hi all,

I am a 40k convert coming to fantasy and could use some help. I really enjoy having 1 or 2 huge focal points to my armies and really like the forgeworld pieces. My question is this, there is a massive dragon that they list as being for whfb but what could it be played as? All I am coming up with is a mount for certain lords - is that my only option with this model?

Also, assuming that is my only option to use this beautiful piece which lord w/ dragon is the most playable? As far as the actual tactical value vs. its cost as well as the way the rest of the army plays to compliment that particular powerhouse.

As always thanks for the great information.

~bm

TKitch
09-09-2006, 04:48
most likely high elves.

If you play a high-point game (3000+) you can actually field 2 different dragons. A Lord with a Dragon and Arsinil (sp?). He's a special HE character, who is the 'dragon lord' or some such. He's pretty damned cool, and you can field him.

whitra
09-09-2006, 05:10
Would that dragon fit on the table? Looking at him with a miniature for scale, he's definetly too big for a base, maybe even a deployment zone.

prince_dios
09-09-2006, 06:57
Yeah, one of my problems with 6E over 5E is that I have to stick an expensive character on my already expensive monster, depriving my troops of his leadership as he rampages around.

I'd love to have a riderless zombie dragon in my Vampire Counts army...

ebolatheripe
09-09-2006, 08:36
You could play a Chaos Army and use the special character Galragh (spl?) father of all chaos dragons. He doesn't have a rider but is probably the hardest dragon in the game. As far as points and army selection go, I don't know. I think the model for Galragh is pretty poor tho, so you might want to convert your own

Slann mage Tokes
09-09-2006, 09:22
Hi all,
My question is this, there is a massive dragon that they list as being for whfb but what could it be played as? All I am coming up with is a mount for certain lords - is that my only option with this model?

Also, assuming that is my only option to use this beautiful piece which lord w/ dragon is the most playable? As far as the actual tactical value vs. its cost as well as the way the rest of the army plays to compliment that particular powerhouse.

As always thanks for the great information.

~bm

I know the model you are talking about, It is an Emperor Dragon the greatest of 4 levels of dragons. In 5th edition you could field dragons on their own, (most other monsters too) and I have not seen the (*official*) rules anywhere but I am pretty sure their are rules on Forgeworld look around the dragon pages a bit more...I think it's like 950 points on it's own.
This model Rules....one day I will buy one, It is like a 18 inches head to tail hugely detailed as well.

I must say I just got my skull pass an hour ago and GW did an Amazing job this time around with the boxset. Good on my army size, wallet and the environment (100+ models on 4 sprues!)

Scythe
09-09-2006, 10:08
Forgeworld released a pdf some time ago for some more 'proper' rules for a dragon this size.

DeathMasterSnikch
09-09-2006, 10:53
Wow... That is gona be a good thing to fight with a crap load (or one suped up) Troll Slayer(s).

snurl
09-09-2006, 11:00
Yep.

I'm thinking a cannonball or two, then send in the slayers, with at least a few runes should do the trick.

Gorbad Ironclaw
09-09-2006, 15:37
We are talking about the insanely huge forge world dragon right?

If so, it's in game value is pretty small. It's really much to big to be used in a game(it's no way near the proper base size), and will require a lot of adaptation to really use. Not to mention, I don't think the model would stand up well to lots of transportation, or at the very least be very difficult to transport.

DeathMasterSnikch
09-09-2006, 20:32
You think a human will transport somthing that valuable in anything less than 10inch thick foam padded walls?

DisruptorX
10-09-2006, 10:10
While its nice to see rules for an emperor dragon back in the game, using this on the battlefield is about the equivalent of fielding a baneblade, trygon, or ork stompa in 40k. Fun to do, and its a great model, but a ton of points for a single model.

Rules apparantly say any army, so if you have your heart set on it, no need to worry about what you play. :) I'd imagine it would best compliment an army with cheap troops, such as goblins, skaven (not very fluffy to include it there, though), maruader heavy chaos armies, empire, and the like.

Gorbad Ironclaw
10-09-2006, 13:13
US 30 terror causer? Forgeworld makes some excellent models, there rules are sadly not as good as the models. Especially for the Warhammer models(IMO).

Of course, the Emperor Dragon is only for use in special games anyway, so you should talk it over with your opponent and you can always adjust things.

It's certainly not for normal gaming.

Scythe
10-09-2006, 18:35
Of course, but then including 'over the top' models in warhammer is a lot more difficult as it is in 40k. In 40k, every race as access to anti-tank weaponry and general very high strenght weaponry. This is less in fantasy, making tough creatures a lot harder to deal with for certain armies.

Rioghan Murchadha
10-09-2006, 22:55
Resin + lots of transport + lots of spikey bits + really expensive = sad panda

Scythe
11-09-2006, 07:44
I know. I recently assembled my forge world keeper of secrets. I have absolutely no idea how I am ever going to transport that thing. Good thing most games we play are at my place.

inq.serge
11-09-2006, 14:16
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but if you like dragons, watch my list :

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47533&highlight=TMDL

truthsayer
11-09-2006, 16:03
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but if you like dragons, watch my list :

Good God!!

Scythe
11-09-2006, 16:51

Just a stupid question... Do you acctually have the models for that?

inq.serge
11-09-2006, 17:04
Sorta, I'm making the dragons right now, they all are different (i.e. Khorne= juggernaught dragon, Nurgle= giant nurgling with fly-wings, Slaanesh= giant boobsnake with butterfly wings, Tzeentch= giant disc o' tzeentch with burning screamer tails and long burning necks with screamer heads, et.c)

Lord Sven (not his dragon) is complete.

The Emp.dragon is complete (made of clay/GS) he is modeled like Trogdor.

truthsayer
11-09-2006, 17:39
Sorta, I'm making the dragons right now, they all are different (i.e. Khorne= juggernaught dragon, Nurgle= giant nurgling with fly-wings, Slaanesh= giant boobsnake with butterfly wings, Tzeentch= giant disc o' tzeentch with burning screamer tails and long burning necks with screamer heads, et.c)

Lord Sven (not his dragon) is complete.

The Emp.dragon is complete (made of clay/GS) he is modeled like Trogdor.

I take it thats complete, Nice colour scheme, not sure about the wiry legs though...

:p ;) :angel: