PDA

View Full Version : A mission/campaign idea of mine ... mob violence!

TwilightOdyssey
09-09-2006, 18:05
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I was reading the rules book yesterday, and when I came across this sentence, an idea started forming for a cool mission or campaign premise:

Under the heading THE TYRANNIC WARS:
Blasphemous cults worshipping the Tyranid invaders as gods erupted across the world in its [Hive Fleet Behemoth's] path ...

And I got to thinking, couldn't the same thing happen with Hive Fleet Leviathan? That led to the thought: Wouldn't that be a cool/challenging mission for an Imperial player v. Tyranid? What if there was an Imperial city or colony that was hiding Tyranid as it invaded, and the Imperium didn't find out until it was too late? And then when forces were sent in, they had to fight off mobs of these cultists before they could even get to their enemy?

How does this sound for the basic premise for a mission or campaign?

An Imperial force must destroy one or more hive nodes which have infested a city/outpost/trading colony. However, roaming the streets are mobs of cultists looking for Imperial blood!

Each mob would consist of 10-20 models (perhaps taken from WH Fantasy?), and equipped with the most rudimentary of weapons -- kitchen cleavers, pitch forks, boards, or rifles which they use as clubs. They would have very basic stats, like:

WS 1 or 2
BS 0
S 2 or 3
W 1
I 2
A 1
Ld 7 (due to their fanatical nature)
Save 5+

There would be one 'leader' model to represent the cult's local preacher man/reverend/whatever you wanna call him, with slightly better stats, and maybe a bodyguard of 2-3 bullies.

The Imperial force would have to subdue or shoot their way through these roving mobs, as well as Tyranid forces, to get to their objective!

How does that sound? (Aside from the extra modelling involved, I think that it would be a lot of fun to put together!)

Scythe
09-09-2006, 18:14
I think you should look into the background of genestealer cults. They are basically what you are looking for as adversaries here.

And yes, cults are great! Give a lot more character to a Tyranid invasion based campaign.

Goq Gar
09-09-2006, 18:19
Ive never heard of nid worshipping cults (probably because im an idiot and forgot) but that sounds awesome!

Lastie
09-09-2006, 20:18
It sometimes seems that the Imperium leaps at any chance to worship something other than the Emperor (Chaos, C'tan, Tyranids, a packet of crisps, etc.), you have to wonder if the Ecclesiarchy might need to look at their PR compaign ...

schoon
09-09-2006, 20:30
Another scenario concept would simply be to integrate civilian mobs. These would simply represent hysteric citizens getting in the way.

They would block LOS, make maneuver either easier or more difficult, and only one side would have any interest in preserving them :skull:

TwilightOdyssey
09-09-2006, 21:38
Another scenario concept would simply be to integrate civilian mobs. These would simply represent hysteric citizens getting in the way.
Absolutely. There are a lot cool options available with mobs.

They would block LOS, make maneuver either easier or more difficult, and only one side would have any interest in preserving them :skull:
Very true. I'm thinking re: the Tyranid cultists, if there isn't a 3rd player available to move the mobs, Just have them moving randomly with a D6 + scatter die for movement, kinda like Tyranid spores. :)

Warlord Kyle
10-09-2006, 03:29
Just like the old genestealer cults, with the cultist and possibly mutants. The old army must have been fun to play with but im glad the genestealers are now a component of the tyranid army.

SwordJon
10-09-2006, 03:54
A good idea would possibly be to use the Lost and the Damned traitors list. You could use traitors as normal people that have been tricked into service, mutants could be modeled as half-genestealer hybrids, and your aspiring champions could be modeled as genestealers or broodlords, etc. Take all the demonic stuff and model it as genetic evolution/genestealer hybrids/vanguard organisms etc. Would be sweet, I think.

insectum7
10-09-2006, 04:06
Genestealer Cults were ******* awesome back in the day. Just as SwordJon suggests you can get a nice cult using the LATD codex. Them hybrid models go for some good money on ebay though, so be forewarned.

I do wish that GW would re-introduce the genestealer cults, they were a really great side effect to the Tyranid invasions and vanguard forces of the genestealer laden Space Hulks.

Scythe
10-09-2006, 18:31
Traitors are quite powerfull tough (well, if you compare them to a civilian, which should be WS BS 2 at most, and maybe some other decrased stats as well). You could use them as the more elite genestealer hybrids tough. A sergeant with a power weapon (or maybe that chaos power that gives rending, if available) would make a nice genestealer.

TwilightOdyssey
10-09-2006, 19:29
Some very nice varations to the idea brought up here!
Next time I'm in GW, I will look at the Lost and Damned codex. (It's only a few blocks from my office, so I usually find an excuse to pass through about once per week)

I'm already starting to think of a campaign idea that can incorporate the mob idea somehow; probably won't be able to pull it off until the Winter time with the extra modelling involved, but I can't think of a better way to wait out the winter months!

Scythe
10-09-2006, 19:50
Remember, you are looking for the lost and the damned army list in the eye of terror codex. ;)

TwilightOdyssey
10-09-2006, 22:39
Remember, you are looking for the lost and the damned army list in the eye of terror codex. ;)

Gotcha; thanx!! :)

Cactusman
10-09-2006, 23:28
I profoundly lament the loss of the genestealer cult. Is it possible to have a cooler concept than lots of "oi, he may be a little weird looking, but he's my little brother!" mobs running about? And talk about the perfect adversary for the Witch Hunters! Which fool decided to see them off? I have introduced the concept to my Necromunda campaign. I have a genestealer stalking the underhive with his merry band of followers. Be advised. This is very cool.

Chem-Dog
10-09-2006, 23:40
I had several similar ideas for a Campaign me and a few friends are trying to get together.

Using the LatD list (but without Any options from the Chaos Codex) to represent partisan groups and local militia either as additional troops available to the friendly side (rebels and loyalists available) or as a third party to be played by another player when armies clash in certain areas, maybe even forming entire armies if one were so inclined (basically giving an option for somebody not able to participat in the whole campaign to still take part.

I believe GW Brighton did something similar in a trip upto GWHQ recently (lots of civvies running around making things complicated for both sides, that is), pretty sure it was in a recent edition of WD.