PDA

View Full Version : Basing spiders for use in 40K

Clang
09-09-2006, 21:51
I love the new spider models in Battle for Skull Pass, and plan on using them somehow in a 40K army, having them 'count as' something in a standard 40K army list.

So the question arises - how should I base them? The obvious options are:
- on a standard 25mm round base. The spiders are very long and the legs would hang over the edges a lot (unless I do a lot of leg conversion), but arguably this is the simplest option and is least likely to upset rules lawyers, presuming the spiders 'count as' something which normally comes on a 25mm round base. (And I have to say quite a few standard 40K models hang a long way over the edges of their 25mm round bases anyway.)
- on a standard rectangular cavalry base (as standard for WHFB spider riders), i.e. much longer and slightly narrower than a 25mm round base. Fits the spider very neatly of course, and the 40K rules say you can use a larger base for any model. Could be a tactical disadvantage for me though, as it's more difficult to get two ranks of troops within 2 inches of the enemy (the base is _just_ shorter than 2 inches). And maybe some rules lawyers would grizzle that I'm getting an unfair advantage due to the base being slightly narrower than a 25mm base, thus in theory letting me put more models into contact with an enemy?
- on a 40mm round base. The spider legs would still hang over the edges a bit, but it looks pretty good. Still a tactical disadvantage for me - getting two ranks of troops within 2 inches of the enemy is easier than with cavalry bases but that's offset by the wider bases making it more difficult to put more models into contact with an enemy.

Your thoughts? I want the models to look good, not look out of place in a 40K army, and not provoke long boring arguments with rules lawyers.

ThousandPlateaus
09-09-2006, 22:27
40mm, definitely - most IG Rough Riders I've seen have used 40mm bases as alternatives to cavalry bases, and they look really good.

What are you going to be using them as, though?

Bregalad
09-09-2006, 23:05
I guess that you haven't seen the spider base yet. It has an extra support for the spider body, because the legs are quite fragile. So using this base is very practical. To 40k-ize it, you can cut a round base in half and glue it to the ends (was done experimentally for the lying Tau pathfinder once). Should be reasonably close to rough riders (if you don't want to use 40mm bases or whatever official rough rider bases there are, not one shown though on GW website).

And concerning rules lawyers: Just don't play against them, it's no fun!

TKitch
10-09-2006, 05:11
to fix the support issue, just get a plastic rod that's thick enough to fit in the hole on the bottom of the spider, and glue it onto the base, problem solved.

you WILL have to fix the back of the spiders, they're flattened to give the roders a place to sit. But a little GS and time will fix it.

yerpo
10-09-2006, 07:47
Could be a tactical disadvantage for me though, as it's more difficult to get two ranks of troops within 2 inches of the enemy (the base is _just_ shorter than 2 inches).

Dude, a model has to be within 2" of a friendly model that's in base contact to be able to fight in CC, not an enemy model. So you'd have to have a quite large squad for some models to not getting any action. For my bikers, I use cavalry bases with two halves of a 25mm round base stuck at each end.

Apart from Chaos Spawns I don't know how would you use them, though (OK, maybe really exotic steeds for Rough Riders, but I think they are too small for that). Maybe Nurgle swarms, but they come with 40mm round bases anyway.

Aquilla
10-09-2006, 10:41
Or chaos hounds.

I would put them on a 40mm round base.

Shibboleth
10-09-2006, 16:18
Mount an IG Heavy Weapon on one and put it on a 60mm base with the Weapon Team. :cool:

giner
10-09-2006, 16:33
Use the cavalry bases they have nice detail and shouldn't cause problems. I ight use them as deamonic steeds or make centausr like marines or mutants and have speed.

Clang
11-09-2006, 07:27
Mount an IG Heavy Weapon on one and put it on a 60mm base with the Weapon Team. :cool:

Mmm, hadn't thought of that - a spider would indeed make a cool heavy weapon mounting. So long as I can work out a sensible place to put the crew... perched on the spider's abdomen seems a bit hard on the poor spider. Then again, who needs a crew? - cower before my Heavy Spider troopers of doom, mere mortals!

Not sure what (if anything) to put on top of the spiders yet - my first thought had been to simply give guns to the spider rider goblins. I may wait for the new Ork codex before making any final decisions.

The pestilent 1
11-09-2006, 07:38
Could robo-them up a bit?
Cyber-spiders, obviously with Plasma guns too :p

AventineCrusader
11-09-2006, 07:55
Or chaos hounds.

I would put them on a 40mm round base.

Thats what I'm doing. A few friends got the box and don't really want the Spiders. So look like I'm getting a new unit. I'm also planning on going at their legs with a pin vice and putty for some really dynamic positions.

Crusader