PDA

View Full Version : 2230pts dwarf army: bugmans second brewery

Daemon king Mad Dog
09-09-2006, 21:11
Ok, the new battle for skull pass has come out and i've got it, nwo i'm adding those forces to my current small dwarf force.

onto the list!

Lords:

Lord
sheild
master rune of skalf blackhammer
rune of speed
-or-
rune of fire
master rune of gromil
rune of preservation
(yes, i do fight a lot of giants)

Heroes:
Dragon slayer:
rune of might
master rune of alric the mad

Master engineer
great weapon
rune of stone
rune of preservation
2x rune of speed
Master rune of kragg the grim

Rune smith:
Great weapon
Master rune fo balance
-OR-
Spell eater rune (not both)
rune of spell breaking

Core:
14xwarriors
sheilds
fullcommand

13x warriors
sheilds
fullcommand
long beards
banner:
rune of battle
rune of stoicism

10x thunderers
full command

10x thunderers
full command
20 x rangers (including great weapons and upgrade)
full command

Special:
Cannon
engineer
Valiant rune

Cannon
master rune of immoltation

bolt thrower
3 (yes 3)x rune of penetrating

8x miners
full command
steam drill
blasting charges.

2221 points :) i round things up= 2230.

Please tell me what you think. I am a decently experienced dwarf player, and next i am turning to:

about 3 more thunderers units. Then 2 organ guns and a flame cannon and a unit of slayers.

please tell me what you think of the list (bearing in mind that is ALL my models) and my plans :)

thnak you for reading this.

Teach
21-09-2006, 08:19
Too much runes for my liking and to little troops. Why not take Bugman if it is the name of the army? Some more troops in the longbeards for more ranks and such. Or make them a second ranger squat? The M engineer is really over the top. Take a second boltthrower for his runes. Give that one 1 rune of pen and the other 2. Have fun!

Daemon king Mad Dog
23-09-2006, 06:49
Have you read the last bit?
How can i add models unless i say they've invented the invisibility cloak?
which would be kinda cool... but i'm changing the nanme to bugmanson's brewery.

WLBjork
23-09-2006, 07:35
The current problem is that you only have one real fighting unit. You really need 4-5 at over 2000pts.

The big block of Rangers will be awkward - either it is deployed forward and is isolated, or it is held back at which point the points to upgrade are wasted. Personally, I think this would be better as a standard Warrior or Longbeard regiment.

Forget expanding with warmachines, they're too unreliable. Go for infantry blocks instead. Hammerers are viscious when it comes to holding against a charge, especially from multiple cavalry units. Ironbreakers are also capable of tying up units for long periods of time (but not so good at killing tough units).

gortexgunnerson
23-09-2006, 09:49
I would agree that dropping the bugmans theme would be an idea as apart from the rangers nothing really fits this theme as bugmans people use crossbows and everything in your army is armied with guns.

I think your trying to make too many points out of too few models, settle the army down to 1500 and put a few more units. Dwarf combat units should be 20+ not 15. A unit of 15 will be rolled on the charge everytime. Your units need to be able to take a charge break your oppenet and still ahve enough numbers to fight a few more combats.

Also tooling your dragon slayer up makes him too good a target to survive the battle. Just leave him at cheap and cheerful 50 points and he'll be usefykl but at 110 with no armour he'll just get shot to pieces.

Full command on missle units are also a waste of poitns as your oppenet can just roll them for easy standard captures. I would also say without move and fire thunderers are a worse choice then crossbowmen which have gained, not lost from the new rules.

Daemon king Mad Dog
23-09-2006, 14:19
The current problem is that you only have one real fighting unit. You really need 4-5 at over 2000pts.

I'm not a enw player to dwarves, an almost entirely missile unit can do just as well as an almost entirely warrior army, shooting them to peices before they get to you, maybe causeing a couple of panics, then charging the remnants of yiur enemy to the ground.

And yeah i should probably drop the bugman theme, but it's cus i go on another forum where we're making bugmanson's hold. but i liek guns. Lots of guns.

gortexgunnerson
23-09-2006, 18:52
Thats not really a problem if you want the dwarf gunline but you need a few decent anchor units to avoid your line being broken against very fast armies. Good for this are vallent runed machines and the goblin hewer and give shields to all your thunderer units so that they have a 4+ save to the front which combined with T4 gives them real servivability.

But if your playing gunline then rangers are a complete waste of points, and with a good unit to back him up as is the lord. Why not try 4 heros if you dont want to field powerhouse combat, this spares up some points for use on artillery and missile units but definately consider some crossbowmen with shields solid as a rock and gives you a better first turn shooting.

Dtrik
23-09-2006, 18:54
just a quick question: Who plays 2230pt games???

Daemon king Mad Dog
23-09-2006, 21:30
Well, the main point is it's ALL my models, i just made an army lsit for em and thats what it came to :D

and some one might... s'like i have 3065 points of khorne. (40k)

WLBjork
25-09-2006, 18:16
I'm not a enw player to dwarves, an almost entirely missile unit can do just as well as an almost entirely warrior army, shooting them to peices before they get to you, maybe causeing a couple of panics, then charging the remnants of yiur enemy to the ground.

I think you mean an entirely missile army rather than unit. 2 small 10-man missile units are not going to inflict many casualties at much over 1500points. Depending on what you are facing, they could end up causing no casualties at all.

gortexgunnerson
25-09-2006, 22:21
I think you mean an entirely missile army rather than unit. 2 small 10-man missile units are not going to inflict many casualties at much over 1500points. Depending on what you are facing, they could end up causing no casualties at all.

I have to agree with this point I field at least 4 missile units and artillery in my Dwarfs and I class them as combat army. The main point of my missile troops is to force them to engage my units and face the powerhouse of my Dwarf combat units.

If you want to go gunline I would suggest 60 missile troops plus guns, I mean if you faced off against a real artillery train such as empire they can field 60 handgunners, 4 cannons, 2 hellblaster for 1030 points! Your fielding 2030 with only 2 artillery, 20 thunderers and some poorish combat units. If you want to go gunline i'd have at least 1 cannon, 1 stone thrower, 2 bolt throwers an organ gun/flame cannon and 60 missile troops with shields. That is about what I think is about minimum to destroy an good army with shooting alone. However this leads to a very dull game and will fall apart against any good player who should have planned for gunline armies. But I think it will give you a win rate about 65% without thinking 80% if you are good at target selection and shooting tactics.

Despite the great artillery dwarfs do not actually make that great a gun line army as they are just too expensive, their true strenght lies in combat troops and combat characters