PDA

View Full Version : Another new addition to Fantasy.

Bloodthirster90
09-09-2006, 21:15
and all thanks to the Battle for skull pass and my birthday ^^
So, i have a small selection of gobbos and dwarves.
What should be my first moves into this world?
Anyone else transitioning (is that even a real word?) from 40k to fantasy?
How easy/hard is it?
What are the main differences?
Where did I put my socks?
and finally, which army should I go for?

any answers would be appreciated.
BT90 :skull:

gorenut
09-09-2006, 22:01
Depends on when you started 40k. I played 40k, starting with 2nd ed. So my transition to Fantasy Battle was actually easier. Main difference between the two is movement and the way units are deployed and moved. Shooting for the most part will not win you the whole game, movement is the most important. You can have an inferior list and still win with good movement, where 40k depends more on good army composition to win.

You have both armies, try both of them out to see whcih you like before ditching the other.

Crazy Harborc
10-09-2006, 00:48
More tactics are used/needed in fantasy.

Your socks are the last place you left them;)

I suggest keeping the "other army" instead of ditching it. You can always sell the "other army" in the future. Or give it to a friend/new friend.

Bloodthirster90
11-09-2006, 19:29
well my main concern is with painting them. Do they have a set paint scheme? I dont think they are like 40k in that you can paint them any colours you like. What choices do i have with paintjobs?

gorenut
11-09-2006, 19:35
they're your models, you can paint them however you like.

Lardidar
11-09-2006, 19:36
Ork and gobbo skin is most of the time green.

Other than that go for whatever scheme you like.

IcedCrow
11-09-2006, 19:49
In GW's world they are green. In LOTR they are grey. Paint them purple if you want.

Bloodthirster90
11-09-2006, 19:56
cool beans. now i just have to take all the mold lines off and give them a quick spray, then i can paint.

Voltaire
11-09-2006, 20:34
In my opinion, it doesn't matter what colour they are, as long as you are proud of them, and able to play with them.

jimmysnz
12-09-2006, 01:17
If you have a friend to play with, then set up skull pass and have a few games. Then you can get ideas of what you like.
Questions you can ask yourself include.
Do I want to start an evil or a good force, or a neutral one?
Cavalry, foot troops, crazy funny troops, Gun lines, magic heavy?
Horde or elite?

Think this way, guard are empire and traitor guard are skaven, eldar are elves (without the star cannons), Orcs are even more crazy in fantasy, Ogres are like having an army of ogrens from 40K. Chaos - same as 40K basically, some of the hardest troops in the game. Vampire counts and undead think necrons with guard stat lines but you can summon em!! Lizzard men are a little like Tau, but they can hold their own in combat. Bretts are Armoured Company!!
Dwarfs are also big on shooting but can hold their own in combat - think space marines with low Initiative

Sorry if I've missed something else. And before anyone rips my analogies to shreds, its just my opinion from when I started looking for my first fantasy army.

Jimmy

Crazy Harborc
12-09-2006, 01:20
The tale continues.......another general begins the journey.

Say, why not pink or orange....with green eyes.

snurl
12-09-2006, 06:25
I saw an army of orcs at a convention a few years back, painted in normal human fleshtones. It looked kinda cool.

Nadir
12-09-2006, 06:39
If you dig Chaos Orcs from Wc3 you could always paint your orcs red ;) My friend painted his one and only warhammer model red, an orc, and it looked awesome.

But anyway, start gaming with the armies you have, one or both, then check out GW´s homepage and the forums for more info about the armies and the models to make your decision easier. Although, its almost never easy. I still cant go for just one army, I have sold 2, still have 2, and want to get like 4 more :D

Bloodthirster90
12-09-2006, 16:46
well, having never played wc3, i cant say if i like them :p
Seriously guys, thaks for all your help. I'm off to a GW gaming club tonight so i'll be able to have a good chat with some vets and probably some newbies too.