PDA

View Full Version : Stunties go to war! - Blackrock's Dwarf Blog

Blackrock
10-09-2006, 00:03
Sun broke the horizon in the land of the north with weak rays, barely illuminating the ground. Smoke drifted lazily into the air and dwarf camp slowly came to life. Thick mist that had crept up to the barricades of the camp itself receded. Towering oaks still blotted out the sky in every direction, but watch fires and hearths lit cast an orange glow in the half-light. The earth was still waterlogged from the previous night's rainfall and the air soon filled with buzzing gnats and mites, eager to set upon any poor soul foolish enough to become bogged down in the quagmire.

Eight hundred years ago at this very site, his brothers and sisters had been slaughtered by the enemy -their name added to the book of grudges by his forefather. For eight hundred years vengeance had been sought by his folk for the massacre. His caravan had left Karaz-a-Kazak three months prior in their journey for retribution - a hundred stout and hardy warriors ready for death and prepared for worse.

Cadeyrn was roused from his reflection by the sound of birds taking flight, they coarse screeching grating againt his senses. An attendant hurried towards him over the rushes laid out in the avenues of his army's camp. "Thane Caderyn!" the red-faced messenger bellowed as he approached, "we need to muster the men! They are upon us!"

Using this blog, I'm going to chart the progress of my Dwarf army from grey plastic and pewter into a lean, mean, waist-high fighting machine. My main impetus is having the Battle for Skull Pass boxed set in my greasy mitts. I exchanged the goblins for more dwarfs, and so I've got a fair 1300pts roughly without tooling up anybody. A couple of metal miniatures from my bitz box rounds it out nicely.

Current 1000pt Army list:

Thane
Dragon Slayer
15 Warriors
15 Warriors
10 Miners
10 Thunderers
10 Thunderers
Cannon

Models I currently own that aren't part of my list:

Dwarf Lord
Runesmith
Thane
Dragon Slayer
Flame Cannon
Cannon

Blackrock
10-09-2006, 00:04
Here's my Thane, Caedyrn:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/wayerst/dwarfs/thane.jpg

I'm very happy with the NMM, but I'm thinking of a last minute change from green to regal/enchanted blue for a more rich scheme.

Blackrock
10-09-2006, 00:06
Last update for tonight is my Flame Cannon, converted from

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/wayerst/dwarfs/flamecannon.jpg

Lots of bits on there - the tanks are from Cadian flamer guardsmen, the crests are from Lizardmen command sprues, the cannon is a Leman Russ hull-lascannon trimmed down. The fluted end are from the Lizardmen sprue. The safety flame an Ork gunsight on a misc. piece of equipment from the Imperial Accessory sprue. The rear has a dangling refuelling cable on one side and smoke-launchers on the other, with a winch/switch at the same height as the firelighter as some form of control from the engineers. I ran out of bases, so that's from foamboard.

Khrangar
10-09-2006, 00:45
The thane looks pretty sweet and I like the green. The flame cannon is a nice idea too, I may have to 'borrow' it when I get my Skull Pass box.

Hideous Loon
10-09-2006, 08:14
Yes, the Flame Cannon is a nice convo, but why does it have a Lizardmen glyph on the side? And I spy moldlines as well!

whiteshields1830
10-09-2006, 08:57
Yes, the Flame Cannon is a nice convo, but why does it have a Lizardmen glyph on the side? And I spy moldlines as well!

Maybe it was intended that flame = dragon? (the glyph does look sorta like a dragon head)

hamani
10-09-2006, 09:25
Lookin good. personally the blue would look nicer and feels better than green on dwarfs IMHO. But then agen the bright green you are using dosnt look 'bad' and is certainly different. Ur call dude.

Blackrock
10-09-2006, 12:02
I decided that the green looked too sickly, and a nice navy blue would be more regal and befitting the dwarfs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/wayerst/dwarfs/thane2.jpg

I tidied up the NMM on the axehead, too. Since taking the photo I've noticed a couple of blemishes and painted the kilt cloth blue instead of the green it is in the pic.

And yeah, the Lizardmen crests are for the whole dragon image thing - the Thane and the original cart both have dragon/fox heads in a celtic style, so it's not completely out of place!

Steel_Legion
10-09-2006, 12:11
the axe looks ace, fantastic model

Blackrock
14-09-2006, 08:04
Thunderers:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/wayerst/dwarfs/thunderers.jpg

I really hate the fact I painted the Command last, as by then I was getting sick of painting and just wanted the ****ers to be done! The rear rank look a whole deal better, but overall I'm really happy with the way these little guys have turned out, even if you can't see the 4 greys, 3 blues, 2 skintones, 3 gold tones, etc. that I thought looked so good in person.

Not entirely convinced of the SENMM on the standard, but I thought I'd give it a shot - any tips on it would be well appreciated!

Blackrock
14-09-2006, 08:05
Clansmen Prog:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/wayerst/dwarfs/clansmen.jpg

I know EVERYONE says it, but the camera is such a harsh mistress. I picked up some straw colored fibre from my local hobby shop today and I'm going to experiment on how to get it onto the bases without looking stupid. I haven't upped the contrast much at all on this pic, I'm happy with the way the shields look, but I'm going to have to touch up the emblems because they're all highlighted differently.

The champions will have gold shields, as will any Longbeard units I have...

whiteshields1830
14-09-2006, 08:09
The NMM gold on the thunderers are ace. However, i cant say the same for the NMM silver on the warriors shields. Somehow it just doesnt look silver...just cant put my finger on it. Maybe start with a brighter grey?

cerealkiller195
14-09-2006, 12:19
i just dont like the warrior models from BoSP set... other than that they are looking quite spiffy indeed.

Blackrock
14-09-2006, 13:59
I'm intending to buy a Dwarf Battalion and mix-and-match both the Thunderers and the Warriors so they aren't quite so obviously one-pose, but I really like how easy it is to go from sprues through to painted miniatures without having to attach the separately molded fingernails and all that kinda stuff.

My 1500pt list is looking like this:

Thane Grugni: @@
Runic Weapon - Cleaving, Fury. (+1S, +1A)
Runic Gromril Armor - Resistance, Stone. (+1Save, Reroll Save)

Runesmith Thorsten: **
Shield, Master Rune of Spellbreaking (autodispel, 4+ destroy spell)

14 Longbeards, Great Weapons, Standard, Musician, @@
14 Warriors, Shield, Standard, Musician, **
15 Warriors, Shield, Full Command
10 Thunderers
10 Thunderers
10 Miners

Cannon
Stone Thrower, Rune of Accuracy (reroll scatter)
Gyrocopter

1497 Points

Blackrock
14-09-2006, 14:03
To get the above, I will need to come into possesion of another 25-or-so warriors, the Gyrocopter and the Stone Thrower. So the way I see it, it's worth getting the Battalion to end up with 16 more thunderers and a cannon for £14ish :)

It doesn't matter that I've already got 2 cannons and a flame cannon. One cannot ever have too many cannons.