PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves: Erm, help!!!

Hlokk
10-09-2006, 00:05
Let me say one thing straight off the bat, Im a 40k player through and through and havn't played a game of fantasy in something like 4 years.

I thought today, screw it, the new warhammer is out, Im going to buy myself a new army, and I ended up settling on wood elves. The only problem is, of course, where the hell do I start with them?

I bought the armybook and a box of glade guard which are assembled into a glade guard unit of 10 archers with full command and 6 scouts. The reason I've done this is that I've tried the uber gunline of death army with my empire many years ago and it ended up getting blatted more than a few times. So I figured shedloads of skirmishers which ignore shooting modifiers for moving and are S4 at 1/2 range is probably the way to go.

MY first target is 500 points with a view to go to 1000, what should I be going for? I quite fancy a unit of glade riders, some dryads and a noble with the alter kindred thingy, great weapon and a blight of terrors, so I can do a nasty looking conversion, but beyond that I'm stumped.

Ideally I'd like to avoid treekin and treemen as the models are poo, and would love to field a DoW giant if the rules let me.

IS there any help anyone can offer me as to what I should be putting in this army and why?

10-09-2006, 00:15
well, remember your scouts are not S4 at short range, they don't benefit from the Glade Guard Longbow rule.

And it almost sounds like you want to make the Wood Elves something they're not. The Wood Elves don't really excel from what I've seen at the uber line of death. They rely on mobility first and foremost and "duck and cover" as a strategy, the Glade Guard being there for support. And I've always felt that DOW units don't really belong in a Wood Elf army the way they're background feels to me (but thats my personal thing)

That being said, you might try some Glade Riders that will give you more of the shooting style you seek, but also providing decent mobility as well. Waywatchers would also be pretty good for the style you're looking for as they can do what your scouts can do, but better.

Hlokk
10-09-2006, 00:26
And it almost sounds like you want to make the Wood Elves something they're not. The Wood Elves don't really excel from what I've seen at the uber line of death.

Exactly, thats why I thought skirmishers and small glade guard units were the way to go, sorry if my post wasnt that clear.

I didnt realise about the longbow rule though. Does that make scouts a waste then?

robertsjf
10-09-2006, 02:04
Kinda OT but do you already have alot of trees in your terrain colection? WE are the only army I can think of where in addition to buying the figs you might have to aquire new terrain. Always found that odd...

The Machine GoD
10-09-2006, 03:06
Yes you will NEED a peice of wooded terrain.

DarkTerror
10-09-2006, 03:52
Kinda OT but do you already have alot of trees in your terrain colection? WE are the only army I can think of where in addition to buying the figs you might have to aquire new terrain. Always found that odd...

Who doesn't have a small forest? If you don't, I wouldn't be buying an army...

Crube
10-09-2006, 11:24
Glade Guard Archers in units of 10 are the way to go, but drop the command IMO. A couple of these units, a unit or 2 of Dryads (2 x 8 = 1 box set :) ) A Noble and you're about 500points.

for the next 500, you need some manouevrability, so 5 or 6 Glade Riders + 5 or 6 WIld Riders should do the job, plus a few wardancers. Maybe upgrade your Noble a bit...

Personally, I dont bother with Scouts. I like Warhawks. They carry longbows, but also have the hita nd run special rule which means they never get caught in protracted combats - ideal for wm hunting etc.

I personally run with a Mage as my general. I find teh Noble type hero a bit too static, unless of the alter kindred, but even then a bit limited...

Finally, I wouldnt dismiss a treeman, just because you dont like the model. A little conversion, or use an older / or even LotR model... and you have a hard combat machine. Sure it is a nice taget for enemy warmachines etc, but they can either make mincemeat out of the enemy, or let your other troops get into comabt by soaking up enemy WM's and magic (You want proof of effectiveness - ask Brimstone... 1 treeman vs Ogre Tyrant, Butcher 6 Bulls and 6 Ironguts...3 turns later... the treeman died, during this time, the rest of my woodies wiped out the rest of his army...

The key to playing with woo elves is coordination of attacks. Always send 2 units to do a job - trying to flank a unit with your gklade riders whilst charging in the front with some dryads or wardancers... Try to avoid letting your archers get into combat. Use them to shoot wherever possibl;e, then sit back and claim table quarters...

god octo
10-09-2006, 12:07
i also like warhawks, and with the new targetting rules for 7th ed, taking 4 may be better. Wild riders are very killy (mine have killed silver helms, when i was charged) and wardancers can muller normal infantry.

Also, our archers are probably the best in the gamme- S4 at shourt range is a massive advantage and they can even wound and kill dragons!!!!

Dryads are quite good killers ( i have no luck with mine) but they cannont work alone. As crube said, you must be prepared to have to add two or three units to a fight.

robertsjf
10-09-2006, 13:44
Who doesn't have a small forest? If you don't, I wouldn't be buying an army...

Personally, I don't. I play mainly in desert terrain. But that's beside the point...

Wolfgang
11-09-2006, 00:56
In my experience, emphasizing your strengths is usually better than trying to compensate for your weaknesses.
The Woodies are good at maneuverability, shooting, and pretty good at magic.Terrain is your friend, as opposed to most other armies.
Go with that.....
As for models, if you're lucky enough to be able to play at friends' places or independent retailers, Reaper, Fenryll, Alternative Armies, and other companies make very nice Treemen/Dryad/ Treekin type models, and there's always the older GW Dryads and Treemen, which are, indeed, nicer than the new ones.

ExquisiteEvil
11-09-2006, 03:43
Ahhh WE...

The scouts can be useful - but more as a harassment/march blocker. Unfortunately ours are very overpriced compared to others and with 7th stopping skirmish marching, they just got a little worse.

A good use (if a little cheesy) for them is to make one a std bearer. Give this fellow the 'block march move at 12"' banner. stick em in a wood near the opponents uber units of killy death and tie em up a couple of turns.

As others have said drop the command on your GG - with the exception of a musician theyre a waste of points. Take the musician if you have the points, but only if.

War dancers are the bees knees. With the nerfing of Alter Nobles(new targeting rules) Ive been experimenting a little with wardancer noble with the 'moonstone of hidden ways'. With the new terrain placement you can always put a wood in your opponents deployment zone, or anywhere else beneficial, then your free wood. Then 'bam' - 8 angry wardancers turn up behind your opponents army.

Wildriders rock and with 'crossfire' and marchblocked skirmishers warhawks are now a nice choice too!

Magic isnt great unless you load out, but defence is imperitive as it can be dangerous to your expensive fragile troops.

For the first 500pts the GG are a good start - as others have said Dryads are always a useful purchase.

Hope this has been useful.

EE