PDA

View Full Version : Is Battle for Skull Pass best Boxed set ever?

tenpole
10-09-2006, 10:15
I am refering to starter edition warhammer boxed set. I think the 6th edition has to be my best with the lovely detail on the orcs and empire. Next comes the Battle for skull Pass with the cool night goblins and spider riders entrancing me.
After that I would choose the 4th edition with the night goblin archers, goblin spearmen loads of em and the high elf spearmen and archers. Last the 5th edition but that was I did not like the armies.

Bronka
10-09-2006, 11:08
I vote Skull Pass for it's well rounded troop choices, the fact that you get way more minis than previous editions, proper terrain pieces, and a real theme to the set rather than just 'here, have 2 armies picked at random'.

DeathMasterSnikch
10-09-2006, 11:37
That was depressing to find I'm the only person to vote 4th... It got me into the hobby (Can't beat cardboard wyverns either) and I remember having a lot of fun with it.

lord_blackfang
10-09-2006, 12:23
BfSP is certainly the best value of those I've seen (5th onwards). 5th was the crappiest, it cost more and didn't even include magic items and spells, which you had to buy seperately for another 20 quid or so.

deamon
10-09-2006, 12:59
After owning the last 3 I have to go with Skull Pass

Splagbot
10-09-2006, 13:24
5th, it had the Bretonnians in it, I had waited so long for those Bretonnians, ok so the models weren't of that great a quality, but the whole set didn't give the feel of being geared wholy towards people new to the hobby, as Skull Pass does.

Like the cannon and Grudge Pony though, gotta give them credit for that.

Ironhand
10-09-2006, 13:31
BfSP, no doubt. Excellent models, well-rounded troop choices, and some interesting bits like the Idol of Gork, the Grudge Wagon, and the captured Slayer.

eldrak
10-09-2006, 13:37
If BFSP had come with a full size rulebook i would have voted for it, now i had to go with 6th.

Can't say i played much with the cards from 4th but they were cool to have so you could learn most of the rules with the stuff in the box and you also got movement trays in the box (if you include the cards it has more models than BFSP).

@lord_blackfang: the latest editions don't include all of that either and now you need to get army lists for a lot more £€$ than the magic box if you want to know all nasty items and spells you'll be up against.

Cypher
10-09-2006, 15:06
This is undoubtably the best value set of the lot - remember that it's also significantly cheaper than the previous editions, even fourth ed cost more when it was released than BfSP does now.

The inclusion of hero models is also important - characters make a singificant contribution to the way the game is played.

flagu
10-09-2006, 15:12
I haven't even saw those 4 or 5 edtion starter sets :p

And cause in new box includes more stuff than than that from 6th edition, I don't even doubt that 7th edition isn't best.

Lexington
10-09-2006, 15:18
Being an owner of all four of these boxed sets (gah, I'm getting old!), I'm going with Battle for Skull Pass, hands down. It's an excellent deal, with some fantastic minis, and the mini-rulebook is on some very high-quality paper, unlike it's 40K counterpart. Quite a nice surprise.

IcedCrow
10-09-2006, 15:31
It's ok. I think it's one of those rare GW "deals". From a marketing stand point though, it's about damn time. You have to reel people in with cheap but awesome quality and then expose them to the $35 box for 16 plastic 28mm guys sweet sweet reality.

ss_cherubael
10-09-2006, 15:37
I have to agree with the deathmaster on this one and say 4th as likewise it got me into warhammer! and cant go past all the books that came with it!

BFSP is a bloody awesome box set, it comes with two very very very decent armies that include some very nice minis and round out to be two very playable armies and good starting points for the new blood if they want to play either goblins or dwarfs. The extras u get are fantastic such as the grave markers, totem, cart and tied up slayer (really want to know how they pulled that one off, i wouldnt want to go near a naked slayer would you?).
And to cap everything off it costs only 85AUD which makes it actually worth buying two of the things if u want to lay gobos or dwarfs, just for the minis!!!!!!!!!

the things that annoy me about BFSP are: the lack of a real rule book!!!!!!!! now the small ones have their uses in terms of popping them in the top of ur case and carrying them round and i applaud gw for creating them but they die alot easier than any of the big ones (hard cover or soft) and they leave out some of the best stuff such as the art and fluff, which in my oppinion is way more important to someone who is just starting to play. i would idealy like to see the price put back to 150AUD and a soft cover large rule book put in!!!!!

Voltaire
10-09-2006, 16:37
I voted for BFSP but will be buying the large rulebook in the future as a means of reference at home and using my small one as a point of reference in the game. I may even see if there are any special edition ones still available then, because it would easily be worth the money for a high quality book of the background and rules.

Cap'n Umgrotz
10-09-2006, 17:22
BfSP is damn impressive, but I'd like a proper rule book.
But at the value for money, you can't beat it, you really, really can't.
Some of my more skeptical friends were really impressed with it when they saw it. I don't find it a good introduction though- not enough background material to grab the imagination.
6th ed was great, formed the backbone of my Orcs and Gobbos and my mates Empire, and got us a big rulebook too.
5th ed was damn good too, got me into fantasy, liked the models and still have my lizardmen.
4th ed I didn't buy but have looked at, like the battle books and bestiary and stuff.Best fluff of the lot, worst models.(Though still not bad, I used some of the goblin spearmen, and an army of high elves using those ones isn't too bad)
Overall....6th edition. For the best balance of models, background and value.
BfSP nearly swung it, but the lack of background means I don't see it as a starter set, more a great way to expand my Orcs and Gobbos and Dwarf armies!(Really, if you play both armies, you are getting a sweet, sweet deal.)

truthsayer
10-09-2006, 17:53
I thought that the smaller rulebook was going to be enough for me but since seeing the big one i want one of them too.. GW just made their money back.

I think of the four bfsp is the best just due to the mix of stuff in the box. Next would be the 4th edition as i was just getting into warhammer at the end of that edition. I am glad though that i got the 6th edition just for the orcs.

Lordsaradain
10-09-2006, 18:13
Could any1 show me a picture of the 4th ed starter set?

BFSP is a great deal though. Not only is there alot of nice stuff in there but its also far cheaper(costs 2/3 the price of the 6th ed starter set) than the old starter set(in Sweden anyway).

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
10-09-2006, 19:25
For me it is battle for skull pass it is realy worth it's money.

Greetz
G

robertsjf
10-09-2006, 21:11
BfSP from a price standpoint. Incredible! I did like 6th for the troop selection, except for the error boyz, of course...

Rioghan Murchadha
10-09-2006, 22:49
Dear god.. I have 2 sprues of the BfSP models in front of me and they are the worst single piece sculpts I've seen to date.. (the infantry anyway).. Even worse than the 1 piece marines and chaos warriors we gave away as demo figs when I worked at GW.

I vote 4th ed, cause I started with high elves, you got TONS of templates, and other neat stuff, lots of models, and the FULL rulebook, functional army lists for EVERY army, and the bestiary. Yeah, you had to buy battle magic seperately, but you know what, I still paid less for the 2 boxes than BfSP costs now.

tenpole
10-09-2006, 23:11
Dear god.. I have 2 sprues of the BfSP models in front of me and they are the worst single piece sculpts I've seen to date.. (the infantry anyway).. Even worse than the 1 piece marines and chaos warriors we gave away as demo figs when I worked at GW.

I vote 4th ed, cause I started with high elves, you got TONS of templates, and other neat stuff, lots of models, and the FULL rulebook, functional army lists for EVERY army, and the bestiary. Yeah, you had to buy battle magic seperately, but you know what, I still paid less for the 2 boxes than BfSP costs now.

As I remember 4th edition cost 40 (but 35 at Argos, yes it was in the argos catalogue once upon a time). Taking into account inflation thr BfSP is cheaper. The models are the about the same quality, the night goblins in 4th showed to much leg but i liked the seperate shields for the spearmen.

DeathMasterSnikch
10-09-2006, 23:13
Could any1 show me a picture of the 4th ed starter set?

I checked around but I can't find any pics appart from in my old WD's. Sorry :(

Alas, only 2 other people voted 4th... I'm both surprised and slightly disapointed.

Rioghan Murchadha
10-09-2006, 23:24
I can probably take a picture of mine (sans armies since they're long gone now, but I still have everything else, and in fact, still whip it out and play a game every now and then.. )

Waiting for someone to quote that out of context...

I wasn't taking inflation into account, since my parents bought me the 4th ed stuff, and I bought myself all the new stuff it really isn't relevant in this case. I certainly feel that I got more for my money with the 4th ed box though.. The ability to see and play any army I wanted (with proxies of course) without shelling out 30 dollars for the army book for each one was nice.

Rioghan Murchadha
10-09-2006, 23:35
Ok.. here goes..
First, the contents of the 4th ed box without armies.. you also got 10 white GW dice, and artillery / scatter dice that were actually cubes (unlike the modern ones) and said 'hit' and 'misfire' instead of having symbols. I believe the figs were 20 High Elf spears, 20 bowmen, 24 night gobbo spears, and 24 night gobbo archers. You also got a cardboard ork shaman on wyvern, and elf on griffon, as well as cardboard rock lobber, and repeater bolt thrower. The small deck of magic was the minimal amount of magic items you got in the basic set.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/Fingul/4thedition002.jpg

Next is the battle magic box, here we have templates for tons of different spells, a seperate deck for each colour college, race, and chaos god (except khorne obviously). Necromancy was part of dark magic at the time (3 spells) but was added later with the release of the undead army book) Also in this box were tons of magic items/standards/etc.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/Fingul/4thedition003.jpg

Here's everything together.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/Fingul/4thedition001.jpg
Ignore the Be'lakor and lord of change models in this pic, as well as the toddler juice cup, they didn't come with the sets. :D

FatCat
11-09-2006, 04:17
I've had them all and Skull Pass is without question the better set. Much better one part minis, more of them, dirt cheap, and all at the expense of a small rulebook that I'd much rather have. I bought two I liked it so much. It nearly makes up for the r@ping GW has done to the community.. almost.

tenpole
11-09-2006, 05:17
The figures for the 4th edition were 20 high elf spearmen, 20 hE bowmen, 32 NG archers and 32 goblin spearmen. There were cardboard cutouts for a elf chariot and something else.

Rioghan Murchadha
11-09-2006, 06:35
The figures for the 4th edition were 20 high elf spearmen, 20 hE bowmen, 32 NG archers and 32 goblin spearmen. There were cardboard cutouts for a elf chariot and something else.

Yeah, I thought it might have been 32.. there were cutouts for an elf chariot and grom the paunch's chariot, plus eltharion on his griffon, and the named goblin shaman on doomserpent.

ernyroamer
11-09-2006, 08:34
I don't remember a card high elf chariot. I think it was a repeater bolt thrower and eltharion on griffon for H.E. and for the orcs a stone thrower, grom on charriot and the orc shaman (azhag) on wyvern. There were also a few magic items including the doomfire ring. It was quite a cool game untill the two magic supplements.

These were great supplements except that it drove 4th over the edge into hero hammer with all the magic choices. My bro and I went back to playing 3rd eddition.

BoSP looks nice. At least the NG are the right size.

Psychopomp
11-09-2006, 21:43
My only regret with the BfSP box is that the "scenario" booklet didn't contain a storyline campaign to walk you through the game, like Battle for Macragge did.

All you get are a few training exercises and a "line up all the simple stuff and fight!" scenario, with web addresses for more scenarios that boil down to "line up all the simple stuff and these advanced things and fight!"

The model selections just scream, "Fun campaign!" but it fails to deliver.

That said, I like the models, I think they're just fine for one piece plastics - even the dwarves are much better than I'd feared after getting the free White Dwarf sprue. I also like the small rulebook, I think it serves my needs just fine.

Daemon king Mad Dog
11-09-2006, 22:01
more dwarves! the boxed set has increased my army to an almighty 2230 points :) i find it hard just to make 2000.

steamboat_Willy
11-09-2006, 22:30
id say 7th is the best for value and well roundedness of the forces

althathir
11-09-2006, 22:58
Not only that its designed more for new players, and gives them enough models that they can get a feel for how things work. and for us more experienced players it gives us a few hundred points of armies that we can play around with pratically for free when consider the hardcover rulebook is 5 dollars more.

tenpole
12-09-2006, 00:48
So did 6th, two 500 point armies

snurl
12-09-2006, 07:38
I voted for 6th because it came with a better cannon.

Crazy Harborc
12-09-2006, 19:49
I voted for #5 because for myself, I really liked the knights and that version of bowmen.

IMHO, it's way too soon for me to know if #7 and it's minies are the best deal to date. It IS the best value to date, based on the list price/contents included.

Getifa Ubazza
13-09-2006, 00:04
7th is my fav followed closely by 4th. Those high elves where sweet and the goblins where really nice to.