PDA

View Full Version : How did you begin Warhammer 40,000?

shveen
10-09-2006, 15:42
So, how did everyone out there begin "The Hobby". Was it a friend's, aunt's brother. Or did someone get you one for a present. Or did youjust think 'Wow 2 inch tall miniatures and rolling handfuls of dice, wicked!!!'

Tell me how you began.

shveen

the spook
10-09-2006, 16:03
A friend of mine showed me the Rogue Trader Book back in High School. A couple years later, after collecting some random marine models, i found out some new friends of mine were into it, but then they stopped.

Finally, a year after that in University, i found a store in Town that sold it and actually played it. Then i got my roomates into it, and I've been hooked ever since

scottb
10-09-2006, 16:10
Hmm was at secondary school, when a friend showed me a citadel catalogue, got into epic 1st, for the bigger battles. Then played rouge trader against me brother and grew from there, thats it really :)

Goq Gar
10-09-2006, 16:25
A wise Shas'o, whose name has been lost to time, showed me the might of 9 S 10 ap 1 Twin linked 72" range guns in a game. I wa snever the same.

mooserehab86
10-09-2006, 16:30
I started playing WHFB in 7th grade, and about four or five years later I said to myself, "Wow, wouldn't it be cool if these guys had machine guns?" So I got the 3rd edition starter box (the one with marines and dark eldar) as a spur-of-the-moment purchase, and the rest is Marines-Tyranids-Witch Hunters-LatD-Chaos history.

ShadowKitana
10-09-2006, 16:33
Well, I started 40k after reading a WD that had a battlereport with Nids vs Tau and thought that nids looked interesting. The whole warhammer thing in general was when a friend got me a blister of drunken dwarfs and I thought it was the greatest thing ever. Any game that has drunken dwarfs is worth playing.

bob syko
10-09-2006, 16:33
I kind of grew up with it, my brother has been playing since rogue trader and heroquest, I've probably been into it since I was 4or5, since I could roll dice and listen to people telling me what the number/little picture did.

Wolf Sgt Kirke
10-09-2006, 16:40
I read the copy of white dwarf that had the battle report between Andy chambers SW and Jervis johnsons Orks IIRC, and there was a big article about SW as i think the 2nd ED codex was coming out and i was hooked, since then i've played Space wolves or tanith when the ghosts books started coming out....and i think i may be doing that for some time to come.

yerpo
10-09-2006, 16:56
I went to check out the only gaming store in our town, that was somewhere in 1999. After a couple of visits I bought the painting starter with Ultramarines, got interested, then bought a Chaos Lord blister and Codex: Chaos. The rest is history (including the said gaming store).

Cap'n Umgrotz
10-09-2006, 17:05
Friend of my brothers gave him the 2nd edition Wargear, Rulebook and Codex Imperialis books after we played Vengance of the Blood Angels. I'd seen the boxes in my local toystore, and thought they looked cool, but the book with the background and the idea of playing battle games with them sold it on me completely. Spent the entire holiday reading and re-reading the books, became obsessed with Orks and Squats. Got the boxed game for christmas as well as a bunch of half price ork blisters from my local toystore. Then realised I didn't really like the Ork models for 2nd Edition (the plastic ones anyway...I couldn't afford a metal army) and so moved to squats, found that they weren't widely sold or played, ended up playing blood angels even though I found 'em kinda dull. Eventually, just before 3rd ed, I said screw it and got my hands on some of the old metal deathskulls and blood axes, as well as some gorkamorka nobs, and cobbled together a force. Been an Ork ever since, shoulda done it the whole way. Still got a few squats converted from dwarves and some squat bikers around, and that ill fated blood angels army locked in a drawer. Haven't played with it in about 7 years though.

leonmallett
10-09-2006, 17:05
Bought RT era 40K from GW Manchester after it was featured in WD the week of release I think). My friend and I were driven there to get it. Lots of unpainted models (mainly Squats) followed. I did not finish an army until circa 2003. Now I working toward my third painted army.

shveen
10-09-2006, 17:09
How follish of me, not replying to my own question. A friend of mine was into it and when I saw the Sm starter set in a shop I bought it and I then bought the BFM. I know have 3 armies (ok 1 and 2 half finsihed ones.)

shveen

lapis_lazuli
10-09-2006, 18:00
A schoolfriend's brother collected Epic, said friend gathered six of us Nerdy Teenaged Chosen Ones and showed off his bro's cool toy soldiers. We all decided to play 40k instead for some reason (probably because Epic minis looked too fiddly to paint).

Horus38
10-09-2006, 18:02
Nigh seven years ago I came across a GW hobby booth in the mall. Played a pick up game on a 2' by 2' board between space marines and dark eldar. Even though I was playing space marines I was thoroughly powned :confused:

I got a complimentary citadel miniatures booklet with the basic run down of fantasy and 40k. Needless to say for x-mas which was a few months away my parents knew to get me the starter box set for 5th ed. fantasy.

About 3 years later a friend of mine got into 40k and I've been playing Eldar ever since.

IJW
10-09-2006, 18:09
A group of friends at secondary school were into all kinds or boardgames, wargames and rpgs. I ended up starting 40k as it had only just come out and I could start collecting figures at the same speed as everyone else - they all had HUGE WFB armies which was a bit off-putting to a newbie...

Inq. Veltane
10-09-2006, 18:51
I was about ten and in a WH Smith with my grandparents. They said they'd buy me a magazine and I was tired of Shoot! and so looked for something different. The cover art of WD181 drew me to it and that really drew me in. I got Battlemasters for Christmas that year (By MB Games but with GW models) and that drew me in even more. During the next year (when I was in Yr 7) a few friends and I started 40k...

Drogmir
10-09-2006, 18:53
I was like 8 and I started playing Lord of The Rings. When I was 10 I got bored and remembered a PC game I had called Warhhamer 40,000 Chaos Gate. Picked up a starter set. 4th edition came. Picked up some more SMs. Now I play Necrons at age 15

tuebor
10-09-2006, 19:08
I remember seeing an ad for 40k in Wizard comics in the early 90s when I was about 10 or 12. I called the 800 number and they sent me a small catalogue thing. I never had the money to buy anything, so I kinda forgot about it. Then, when I was in the Army in Germany in 2001 I saw a life-sized statue of a Marine in a mall in Frankfurt and started buying 40k books and things. I didn't actually start playing until I got back from Iraq in 2003 and had several thousand dollars burning a hole in my pocket. I was in Colorado at the time, so I found the nearest game store, walked in, and bought 1500 points of IG on the spot.

Justicar_Freezer
10-09-2006, 20:27
I will never forget the fateful day in ohio. My family and I were on vacation and I stepped into a wargameing store called spellbinders. Well my attenton was first brought to the space marine bikers. Though my parents not wanting to spend that much got me to settle on some of the old citidel battle cards (anyone remember these) instead. This had to be when I was around 8 or 9 because it was during the end of 2nd and the transition into 3rd. Now that christmas space marines where being deployed by santa and I have been pretty much playing Blood Angels ever since. Though I also have a pure Grey Knight army. A not to often used Guard Army and a hardly ever used Eldar army as well.

starlight
10-09-2006, 20:33
I was a medic in the army and found some cool minis called Space Marine Medics in a hobby shop many years ago. Later on I found out that there was a game that used these minis, so I started playing.....:D

robertsjf
10-09-2006, 20:55
It was '89 and we were playing Talisman. We got the supplement dealing with warpspace and thought it was interesting. Picked up Space Hulk and since we had some minis for it picked up RT. I was kinda peeved to find out there wasn't any terminator armor in the big book. Then I found the Red Book and was ok from then on.

Zephro
10-09-2006, 20:59
Which version of Warhammer had High Elves and Goblins? 4th edition? I picked up the white dwarf when that was released back in 90 or 91. When I was 7ish. So reading the different white dwarves eventually got me into Eldar and I bought a bunch of guardians to paint as Ulthwe just before 2nd Edition came out. Then Codex Eldar game out like a year later and I really got into it.

Also playing the demo games at the shop around the same time and Epic.

robertsjf
10-09-2006, 21:02
4th it was. Cardboard Griffin Riders, Gobbo Chariots, Wyverns, Bolt Throwers and Catapults. Good times...

AsuryanofUlthwe
10-09-2006, 21:12
My group of friends had been playing WFB for about two years and one day one of the guys brought over this "Rogue Trader" book. We would alternate weekends playing WFB and 40K, eventually, abandoning WFB altogether and playing 40K exclusively.

UnRiggable
10-09-2006, 21:27
It was 2002, and I was 12. Me and one of my friends went to his house and his bro was playing as Dark Eldar vs. Blood Angels. He said "Dude we should start warhammer". And then we played Eldar for like 6 months before I made my own army.

Falkman
10-09-2006, 21:29
Back in the days I once went into a game store an saw MageKnight (that horrible click collectible game) and thought it seemed cool (the "collect random gubbinz out of a cool box"-thing that most kids feel still hadn't left me) and so I picked up a couple of boxes.
Was decent.

Then, since I found in interesting, I started to look more closely at other models in the local store, and began to be fascinated by the cool models wearing the Warhammer brand (especially the old skeleton bone chariot).

Then, one day, I went to the GW site and had a look around.
The Dark Elves were on display (this was just after their 6th ed release) and I instantly fell in love with their cool, silver-and-purple models.

And since then I've been hooked, and gone through at least one box set for almost all the armies out there, never settling on one army to play, always borrowing armies for tournaments and stuff :p.

But now I'm hosting a Cities of death campaign and have started a Word Bearers force for that, and I have also promised a friend to play with him in an upcoming fantasy tag team tournament, so I'm doing Orcs & Goblins for that.

So after six years I'm finally getting armies to play with :D .

shveen
10-09-2006, 21:30
Wow it goes to show you how long some of you guys have been doing the hobby it makes me feel so..... newbish :cries: :cries: :cries:

shveen

Tensor
10-09-2006, 21:30
They published Rogue Trader, and being an existing WFB player, I bought it.

:-)

insectum7
10-09-2006, 21:34
My first game was Battletech, back with the battletech compendium and I was about 12 at the time. I met good people through a club at school and we formed our first wargaming community. This went pretty well for several years, but battletech was a slow system when you had 20 mechs a side or so. During those years I had heard more and more about 40K, and saw a few battles being played and it seemed kinda neat but I wasn't convinced.

A friend of mine told me more and more about the background of 40K, and it sounded a little too crazy for me. Then he let me borrow his copy of White Dwarf 183 (im pretty sure) with a green background and a picture of a chaos terminator on the cover. In it was a battle report of Marines vs. Orks, showing off the Terminator models and their brand new Ultramarines Dreadnaught, which was about the coolest thing I had ever seen. My friends and I sold off our Battletech minis and bought 40K 2nd edition, we all began collecting different races, me with my brand new Space Marines, and my buddies with Orks, Eldar and Chaos. The rest is pretty much history.

I can safely say that the Space Marine Dreadnaught was the clincher, it's still one of my favorite models 13 (?!) years later.

Zephro
10-09-2006, 21:45
Was it like a chaos terminator standing with his arms out like he was flexing?

Son-Of-Sparda
10-09-2006, 21:55
After I showed some interest into 40k, having read a Blood Angels vs. Orks battle report in WD, two school friends (who had been playing the game for more than they can remember) who played Blood Angels and Chaos, posed me the question "shooty or stabby?"; I said shooty 60%, stabby 40%. All of us agreed that Eldar it was to be! My dear mama bought me the Codex and a squad of Guardians and the rest is history! And I still paint better models than both my friends! :D

lomo
10-09-2006, 21:58
Twas the summer of 1996, i was taken into a GW in Lemmington Spa by a couple of friends, it was right when the 2nd Edition codex Chaos was released. I bought a squad of Plague marines and Chaos champion, and am still using the champion atleast to this day....memories.

bnf
10-09-2006, 22:22
Tell me how you began.

Played the Dawn of War Demo, then the full game, got totally hooked on the setting/universe, went to my local hobby store and bought a codex and regiment box.

Gaunt
10-09-2006, 22:59
friend introduced me to the game when i was 10 only 13 years ago now!! played every system that was release since then, 40k the bestimho by a long way :)

tenpole
10-09-2006, 23:27
I dont now, but I did play wh40k 2nd edition.

When I first used to play D&D there was a hobby magazine called White Dwarf that had D&D articles and other roleplay stuff. I first got into WH40k because White Dwarf was promoting their new game called Rogue Tader and there was a competition for the rogue trader game with vouchers for the runners up. I was a runner up. Probably along with anyone else who entered no doubt and I sent off my voucher and got Rogue Trader. Then I lost intrest, then bought white dwarf 180 and loved the battle report so much and the new rules I got WH40k 2nd edition.

marv335
10-09-2006, 23:49
reading WD i found out about a new game called rogue trader. got a copy and started playing it with a couple of mates.

and so it began....

FarseerUshanti
11-09-2006, 00:11
Went into my local gmaing store to pick up some Magic cards for my younger bother. The owner asked me to help him make some terrain ( he knew I was somewhat artistically inclined) and I agreed and then saw his 15,000 pt Eldar Army including a titan and was hooked from then on

Nabeshin1106
11-09-2006, 00:27
I was down in a friend's basement one day, where he kept all his GW stuff. I was keeping myself occupied looking through some stuff as he got something. I came upon his tau stuff, and found a Broadside, still in the box. I thought it looked pretty cool, so he let me build it and paint it. He also gave me an Ethereal, a box of Fire Warriors and O'Shovah, and taught me how to play. I've been hooked ever since.

TCUTTER
11-09-2006, 01:02
my way is kinda bad, i was introduced by an older friend, he left his army at my grans and together we painted up a nice scythes of the emp force, anyway one day he really got to me, so i just stopped talking to him, got 200 quids worth of minis too, since then ive collected a dozen forces and now plan on redoing the scythes what with the new megaforce

red_drake
11-09-2006, 01:17
wow only one other persone who got hooked threw dawn of war.

i was going to the matrix and my friend said we should play this really cool game he found(dow) and so we played it and stuff.(i played eldar, owned the m all :D) then some time like the next day or w/e he phones me and says hey you know tht game we played the other day, well its got its own table top game,(or somethign like that), cause we both like playing d&d and that kind of game, so he gives me the gw website and we look threw the stuff. i descided to stick with eldar, and he got marines. and ive ben playin ever since, altho it took em a while to play using the gw rules, we started off making up own own set of rules and then went to a mega battle, wow was that different. and then we tried to play by normal rules when he dint have his codex... tough tough times. but now we know waht wwere doing :D

ShadowHawk
11-09-2006, 01:38
Saw two frinds playing (marines vs Chaos) second edition, 3ended up playing with their stuff for awhile. Then 3rd edition rolled around and i picked up the rulebook and started guard. And i never looked back, except for one tiny little necron army

chris_valera
11-09-2006, 02:24
My cousin in Spain introduced me to it. I thought it was a Spanish thing and promptly forgot about it, until I found out my friend played, right here in the States. Wow! This hammer of war thing must sure be popular then, I thought, and that was it I was in.

After all, if my older cousin, my idol was into it, then I had to be into it too!

I threw myself into it full force, and aquired a ton of models.

Imagine my surprise when I returned to Spain a few years later and foud out my cousin had all but abandoned the game, and had never collected more than a handful of figures.:eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

This hobby shatters dreams on a variety of levels...

--Chris

HPD_Andy
11-09-2006, 02:26
Buddy showed up with Space Hulk and it was all over.

EsDawg
11-09-2006, 03:09
First day of 6th grade my friend showed me this new game down at a cards n' comics shop. He showed me a bunch of metal spikey suited guys called Chaos Terminators. I didn't give a rat's ass about them and left. A month late he somehow convinced me to buy Undead Skeletons. From there on out I was a Warhammer, and eventually 40k player.

Ironically I was one of those dumb little kids that knew jack **** about the actual rules. Man, nearly a decade of gaming changes you.

GrimZAG
11-09-2006, 03:33
After seeing my cousin's Dark Elf army slaughter a high elf army, i was in, funnily i haven't ever really played fantasy at all, i'm a 40k player at heart.

Seth the Dark
11-09-2006, 03:40
Well I first started painting when I wanted to add a little color to an X-Men board game I had. When I was at a little toy store called "Moon"-something in Newmarket I saw some Fantasy miniatures and I began to collect them and play against my self. I eventually got into 40k with a friend but once I moved back to the States I lost interest and nearly 6 years laters, I am back with 3 40k armies!

Iron_Wolves
11-09-2006, 05:53
I was a huge FASA fan. I have most of their Battletech books and about 2 galaxies of clan/inner sphere mechs. When they went under I quit (but still have their stuff) and I pick up an issue of WD with the TAU (first codex) on the front cover and that was it.

Khornies & milk
11-09-2006, 06:00
My Son is 'into it', and when I went around to his Digs, He used to show me his minis, and the WD's.

He used to do ok in the Tournaments (won Best & Fairest twice).

When He moved back in with us His enthusiasm rubbed off on me, and seen as I had a lot of time on my hands due to serious continual illness, I embraced it wholeheartedly.

That was 2 years ago and I have about 12000 points of armies already.

cheers!

Colonial Rifle
11-09-2006, 10:02
About 87' or 88' I picked up a copy of Dragon for no particular reason (I was into the old Fighting Fantasy books - still got a few). Saw a big pull out advert for Blood Bowl and a 2 page spread of BB miniatures. Decided I really needed a Dark elf/elf combo team (wtf!). Picked up a White Dwarf soon after that and Adeptus Titanicus led me down the path to damnation...

Griffin
11-09-2006, 11:58
Dawn of war - Simple as that. I loved the Idea's behind the races, and the look of the units. The little info in the manual only wanted me to learn more. I started reading up on the net about fluff, and history and soon started A chaos force, although with nobody to play with. I'm currently building my Iyanden Army, aswell as thinking of getting Alaitoc, Nids, and Guard. It's sucking away my life and i'm loving every moment of it.

pyromaniac
11-09-2006, 12:06
People at school got me into LotR. Then then started playing 40k and so did some other people at school and well they were my friends so I started playing as well.

mattjgilbert
11-09-2006, 12:13
White Dwarf 103 I think it was. The first tanks were coming out. You know - 3 rhinos for £9.99. One box of 30 plastic beakies and a RT book later and you can guess the rest.

On that note - anyone remember the first plastics? The Fantasy Regiment set - 60 figs, 10 orcs, 10 dark elves, 10 dwarfs etc.. "Once painted you cannot tell them apart from their metal couterparts". Yeah right. But bring back those days I say. 60 figs for £12 or whatever it was!

EldarWolf
11-09-2006, 12:23
By winning one of the 10 copies of 'Rogue Trader' way back when. This must make me one of the oldest around...

Sinedia
11-09-2006, 12:42
The first time I was in England (that must have been approx 15 years ago) I saw a wonderfull box (WHFB) lying in the stores there... It was a must have, but I off course didn't have the money.
Back in Holland I started to save for it and searched for a store that sold it, Some time later I bough it, but I didn't have any friends who played the game...

Many, many years later in High School (some 10 years ago) I met some poeple who actually played the game, so I made my set battle ready ASAP and joined in the fun. I played for two or three years with them and then we lost track of each other.

Three or four years ago my wife (girlfriend then) introduced me to the friend of one of her college friends (can you still follow :))... we got talking and guess what I found out within 15 minutes or so... He played 40k...
Well, the rest is known history... I am a 40k addict now...

Gen.Steiner
11-09-2006, 13:22
Well, I'd been wargaming for some years, but WFB wasn't really holding my attention (back then I had Dwarves - still do, in fact, but that's another tale) so I wandered into GW Oxford with my Dad, and after a brief spiel by the staffer on kid-interception duty, got a 2nd Edition box of Space Marine Tactical Squad (plastic). Painted them up, played a few games in the store, and ended up with some plastic Stormtroopers. Never looked back from those first Guardsmen, either!

Ironhand
11-09-2006, 13:28
I was playing historical miniature wargames long before (like 12-15 years) Fantays and Rogue Trader appeared in the 80's. When they appeared, the background looked interesting, and it was just one more sort of wargame.

jacobus
11-09-2006, 13:53
Walked past GW Metro far too many times and only went in after an old friend showed me an issue of WD. After that, in I went and the proud owner of an Eldar Dreadnought I was!:D

After that I collected shedloads of marines with absolutely no clue as to what I was doing until 40k 3rd ed. came out and i had my first game! From there I was well and truly hooked! (And now I know the guy I was playing against cheated! *sigh* no wonder I lost...)

Ixajin
11-09-2006, 14:33
I got started back when RT first hit the shelves and a friend of mine showed up with a few Space Marine minis. He introduced me to the Space Wolves and would have stayed true to Russ had I had not seen the Eldar in WD. Then epic came along and I fell in love with the Titans. Played very little in high school, returned to the fold during 40K second ed, then stopped for a while, then recently returned fielding DE, and loving every minute of it.

DhaosAndy
11-09-2006, 15:00
Well, played various wargames at school & college in the 70's then dropped out of it.
When my sons where teenagers we played RPG's together and then got into 40k after seeing it in WD.
Eldest played space wolves, the youngest took the eldar and I got chaos.
I still play regularly and the boys give the old man an occasional game possibly just to humour me....

dumbuket
11-09-2006, 15:05
I never used to be a gamer at all. I'd taken a leave of absence from my first college, and in the midst of writing transfer applications, (read: browsing the internet, bored) I came upon a website called "nuklearpower.com". If anyone's familiar with 8-bit theatre, they might know that Bryan Clevinger apparently plays 40k. Anyway, he featured a model in one of his comics, (a big deathguard daemonprince) and I thought it was neat. It was done by Jason Richards, so I went over to miniaturespace.net, and from there, the GW website.

This all happened three years ago. I still don't play very much, and I've taken a year-long break from the hobby that only recently came to an end. The first year that I knew about GW, I just painted models . Eventually, I bought an entire tyranid army on impulse, base-coated it, lost a lot, got frustrated, dipped it, and sold it. To my surprise, I actually made a substantial profit, and I began buying up big lots on ebay to strip, repaint, and sell.

Once the summer ended and I was back in school, I had to put my models away and work. Somewhere along the way, I stopped selling the models and started gaming with them, and my little figure business has been in the red ever since.

I currently have ork and tyranid armies, and I'm thinking of starting fantasy beastmen and a small imperial guard force. Maybe one day I'll even do that deathguard army that first hooked me... or even eldar!

BLZBOB
11-09-2006, 15:23
Way back when in the dim shrouded mists of time I was sitting in a science glass and glanced across at my associate and saw someinth in his hand it was a plastic scout with heavy bolter the cool ones with mohawks. This piqued my interest and I inquired further. He gave my a handful of scouts and a plastic marine and it went from there, one of the few paints I had then was blue and so I ended up adopting UM's.

I eneded up getting into the hobby more or less as they were coming out and dispite a brief sabattical from modelling, caused by a complete lack of desk facilities and having to cram all my stuff into a 10x6 room I have been at it for over a decade.

Cannoness Radegunda
11-09-2006, 15:40
Way back in the mists of time (the 80s) I was an teenage RPgamer graduating from D&D to WHFRP and religiously buying White Dwarf for it's excellent scenarios (and Thrud!)

In my town there was also a fine little independent stockist of figures and as my old man was a model railway freak I moved on from Airfix (RIP) to fantasy figures... mainly stolen by the pocket load from the bargin bin - blisters just kept exploding ;)

One day WD had page after page of future craziness in it - armoured warriors with beaks, graceful elf things with funny guns and dwarves in michelin man costumes - plus page after page of exciting fluff. I've always been a sucker for fluff. Oh, and did I mention the compulsory GW staff beard from back then...

I was sold - I bought (cough) the RT book, loads of metal space marines and pirates, a box of purple plastic marines and a rhino and painted them all black like Dark Angels were then and scribbled 'appropriate' quotes all over their armour.

Times changed - I got older, painting and RPGs weren't cool any more - I went to uni, lost a few years and my cousin inherited all of my old and rare GW stuff.

Many years later I'd settled down but had a creative void in my life. Then maybe 4 years ago my old pal Scamshouse showed me his dark little secret under his sofa - a guard army... and before you could say 'I'd like to spend all of my spare cash on pewter' I was back.

The funny thing is that my current playing group contains 4 of the guys I was playing 'Death on the Reik' with nearly 20 years ago. And even more bizzarely we actually play 40k now rather than stealing random minitures to paint badly while we role played.

Oh, and if my cousin is listening - I WANT MY MINIS BACK!!! :cries:

Jedi152
11-09-2006, 15:50
Ye olde Space Crusade. That's how.

the creator
11-09-2006, 16:12

oh yes, they where happy days, playing the game at the age of 8 with my friends...making up the rules as we went along, getting the models which looked the "killyest" first (dreadnought, by the way). dad got me it for chrimbo one year and i never looked back. i rememer crying coz i didnt get the eldar expantion for my birthday....crappy lego insead...

Jedi152
11-09-2006, 16:27
i rememer crying coz i didnt get the eldar expantion for my birthday....crappy lego insead...
I did! I got Eldar Attack, and Mission: Dreadnought! :angel:

Chris
11-09-2006, 16:31

Space Hulk here. Got all the Space Hulk stuff before moving on to 40k at just about the time of the switch to 2nd ed. I remember not really knowing where to start with the rogue trader book, so I didn't really get going until I got the second Ed box set. I think I still have some of my space marines from it.

As for Dawn of War, its what made me get back into the game. I got really disgusted with the 2nd ed rules crazyness and 3rd ed looked to be no improvement. But dawn of war made me try 4th edition with some of my buddies who never left the game, so now I'm back too.

GW really should just give DoW away for free. Its going to turn you into a 40ker if you play it. I know about a dozen people that are now spending tons on minitures because of DoW.

The Song of Spears
11-09-2006, 16:44
After everyone at the gamestore stopped playing BattleTech I noticed that Warhammer was still going strong, so i talked to a friend, learned a bit how to play, then got some nids off ebay...

Steel_Legion
11-09-2006, 18:20
initially started LoTR, then decided IG were probably best suited to me, bought an armoured fist squad, painted it up and that was enough to keep me hooked!

Yorkiebar
11-09-2006, 18:25
A friend showed me his models, and so I promptly went out and bought GorkaMorka (excellent game). Eventually I got bored and sold all my models, then about two years ago got back into the hobby with Tyranids. Finally, earlier this year, I started a Thousand Sons army that I'm still working on now.

Keravin
11-09-2006, 18:34
I started with Laserburn and came in when this all started in the back of the Warhammer Compendium. Been here since the start.

dean
11-09-2006, 18:43
Borrowed a copy of WD 116 (or so) between classes at college in '89. Didnt see anything about it again till 1992 when I went to a local mall and saw what had to have been a 10-12000 point demo game of Space marine (Epic) and the idea of titans kinda got my imagination started. Switched to 40k right at the end of 2nd ed and never got to play a game till after 3rd started.

Kamin_Majere
11-09-2006, 18:52
I was tricked...

They gave me a mini to hold and said it wouldnt hurt me. Well little did i know about the super addicitve mold release agent they leave on the models to make us NEED to buy more. And here i am 11 years later still buying and still playing. Oh well though money and time well spend, i still enjoy it and have fun

Gethalorre
11-09-2006, 19:09
I was walking through the mean streets of Cambridge with my mother, when I espied an interesting looking shop. It had green tables in! (I must have been about eight.) I went in, the patter was smooth enough for me to leave clutching a paint set, the one with space marines and proper pots. I painted them as Black Templars, horrendously. the paint must have been a millimetre thick!

(Evil)Ash
11-09-2006, 19:22
We started of with the MB games Hero Quest and Star Quest and then a friends dad gave us the 2nd edition 40k game to see if it was worth selling in his store (he owns a model train shop). it was:D

greetz,:evilgrin:

AdmiralGrave
11-09-2006, 20:02
Well on a bright shiny morning on my second day of secondary school my mate came up too me wid a big black guy behind him and told me 2 look at some magazine(WD) and I saw all the lovely looking Tau and decided not to argue with the big dude who told me to go to Slough store now shut :cries: and I have been playing ever since. Turns out the big dude wouldn't hurt anything bigger than an insect(and even then he'd leave them be often as not). So I guess I was drawn into something amazing when I began but I have recently been disappointed with the level of support to each race and fluff where has it all gone; still I enjoy writing my own stuff and supporting my own races with additional rules and tweaks. Good to see this popular as well.

Grotsnik
11-09-2006, 20:11
Youngest son started playing the game w/ some friends in '93. As he sucked at painting I started painting figs for him, then made up a SW army to play against him so we could do stuff together.
He is grown, married and has kids of his own, and I'm still playing, :D

BrainFireBob
11-09-2006, 20:12
Had an artistic friend that enjoyed painting their minis.

A new store opened up, I'd always been into reading SF/Fantasy (personal library of around 3000 books) and I was actively looking for a hobby small and portable enough for when I was at college. 40K fit the bill.

the creator
11-09-2006, 20:35
I did! I got Eldar Attack, and Mission: Dreadnought! :angel:

Damn you jedi152. im gonna tell my daddy on you...lol

FireN.Brimstone
11-09-2006, 20:50
My wife bought me Dawn of War, and I started looking into the background and got hooked.

Splagbot
11-09-2006, 20:55
Space Crusade and Hero Quest, my life was never the same after that.

Chaos Lord Primus
11-09-2006, 23:53
My friend got Dawn of War, and one day, he looked at me with this crazy gleam in his eye, and as if he was delivering the word of the Lord unto me, feverishly uttered these words: "Andre, we have to start playing 40k!"

To which I responded "Come again?"

I then bounced around Wikipedia for three months, seeing what all the fuss was about.

I finally decided to play Chaos, as they are evil bastards, until I saw the Night Lords Terminator the wiki article had as a photo. Which I thought looked like it was manufactured by Fisher-Price.

Then I decided to play Orks, and bought the Codex and some Stormboyz. Then playtested and realized how I wasn't nearly good enough yet.

So, I went back to Chaos, bought the Codex, and started a moderately successful Alpha Legion list.

One day, my local hobby store, which has discontinued its sale of GW products after the last price raise, was having a half-off sale on all their stuff.

So, I bought some pretty GK Termies and the DH Codex, and am now developing my DH and AL armies in tandem, though the pure GK DH list is about half the cost, so will be finished first.

Mr.terminatorbob
13-09-2006, 01:35
I remeber that day so very well and I will tell you my story in song, well I wish I could but I am to lazy to do that. I remeber going to a Games Workshop store when I was Nine with my Dad and looking at all the cool models and stuff and I remeber a staff member giving me a white Dwarf magizine all about the tomb king release. I then found that magzine when I was cleaning out my room. I went on the website and a month latter I bought battle for Macgrage.

TheCimSaint
13-09-2006, 04:58
Me and a buddy were always hanging around our local comic shop. Eventually, we saw a game of 40k being played (this was 2nd Ed. era). Tanks, Titans and Guardsmen all over the damn place.

We were hooked. :)

Unfortunately, my mom put the kibosh on my interest in the hobby and banned anything GW from the house...

A few years later I convinced my dad to get me the 3rd Ed. starter set and the Marine Land Raider army box. Voila. The Patrons of Cimmeria were born and I've been struggling to finish painting a full army ever since.

-Saint

leonmallett
13-09-2006, 09:41
Me and a buddy were always hanging around our local comic shop. Eventually, we saw a game of 40k being played (this was 2nd Ed. era). Tanks, Titans and Guardsmen all over the damn place.

We were hooked. :)

Unfortunately, my mom put the kibosh on my interest in the hobby and banned anything GW from the house...

A few years later I convinced my dad to get me the 3rd Ed. starter set and the Marine Land Raider army box. Voila. The Patrons of Cimmeria were born and I've been struggling to finish painting a full army ever since.

-Saint

From experience you will (probably!) finish an army some day. Only took me about 15 years to finish my first army (well a year to paint it, but 15 from starting the hobby....)

Mad_Max
13-09-2006, 09:56
walked into a local retailer saw the start box for 40k3ed (with limited edition sm captain) bougth it and some paint.

Warlord Kyle
14-09-2006, 03:35
Peer pressure my many friends and the need for a challenging strategy game. Started last march break.

The Laughing Gods Avatar
14-09-2006, 03:55
Walked into a hobby store around when 2nd edition had just come out and a few guys were playing a test game. Played a turn or two and enjoyed the look of it but decided I'd rather have my model of the Delorean from Back to the Future that I had come for in the first place (a decision I still stand by. 1.21 Jigawatts! Great Scott!). Came back a few weeks later and picked up the starter box and started converting my friends to the cause.

Chainsworded Codpiece
14-09-2006, 04:34
Warhammer and the Old World were something we hadn't seen in fantasy gaming in my group of 6th-grade friends (all 3 of them). Fantasy, until 1985, had been a case of the villains always seeming more cool and lively than the "heroes". D'n'D. Clyde Caldwell "hero portraits". Shiny idiots in illustration. Paladins, for f@kk's sake.

Then we saw WFRP. The cover alone shows it. Heroes who look as if they are actually LIVING in the f'd up place they inhabit. Boils, scars, dirty clothing. And f@kken Dwarves with crazy punkrock hair, spikes and hooks rammed through their faces. Half of everyone has busted-out teeth and evil, infected-looking tattoos. And the citizens of the Warhammer World ACT AND THINK LIKE PEOPLE. Good and bad, sly and stupid.

So, then first word of WH40K shows up in about the end of 6th(?) grade...

Guess what Sci-Fi we had before RT? Star Frontiers. Slick, increasingly-boring Star Wars/Trek combo that doesn't compel.

Now, they're telling us that the future will be a) more hideous, cruel and wartorn than our favorite issues of Judge Dredd and Slaine the Berserker put together, b) retain the same sense of humor about it that WFRP had, and c) retain a dedication to a depth of background feel that WFRP was also known for...

Well, there was nothing for it. I was in. I got my own copy of RT, finally, in late '87, right before we moved and I started at a new high school.

I have always had my problems with 40K. Many of them. But in the end, I've not given up on it's core conceits, and I've not given up loving it's ideas.

Swiftsword Bonaparte
17-09-2006, 14:45
For me, I started in 7th grade. My good friend who sat next to me at lunch brought in his 3rd edition rulebook (the big fat one), and started telling me about it. I looked through it and became fascinated with those Tyranid figures, so I looked up the GW site and did some research, and eventually found my way to the Local GW, when after playing an into battle with the Tyranids (using their models) against the manager, I decided that this was definetely the game for me. Now I have Tyranids, Tau, and Eldar; though the Tyranids still are my favorites.;)

Kahadras
17-09-2006, 16:15
I started of with Epic (that's Titan Legions to those of us who have been around long enough). I played a bit of 2nd ed but never really got into it (seemed to long winded and time consuming to me). It was only when 3rd ed came out that I started seriously taking an interest.

Kahadras

Skrittiblak
17-09-2006, 19:28
I started playing 40k when I was 13... wow. Thats over a decade ago now.

I'd just move to a new country (Scotland) and 40k seemed to be some cool British thing to be into at the time. I think my dad took me to the store back then - he seemed pretty excited that I was into it as it gave him something to buy me for Christmas (he used to have no idea what to get).

I'm sure he regrets it now because when Christmas time rolls around he's still buying 40k...

The_Patriot
17-09-2006, 19:43
I just recently got into 40k mainly because it's easier to find people who play. With RPGs or other wargames it's a crapshoot to find players. I do remember watching my brother play his Space Wolves army in 2nd Ed and it was quite fun to watch.

Getifa Ubazza
17-09-2006, 20:27
I started with Heroquest and Space crusade, played them for a while before i found white dwarf 152 in a local news agent and the rest is history.

Chainsworded Codpiece
18-09-2006, 16:28

Yyyyyyyyyyesss!!

Freind of mine still has this . We are now playing it. For me, the first time. When I first saw it, I thought, "Oh, Gxd, they're gonna water down Rogue Trader into just another "asskicker Marine" game...why would I play this when video games are around?" Little did I know...

...that Space Crusade is fun in a way no vid (save maybe Doom 3) can beat...

...that GW were going to dumb down RT , and that I wouldn't see the RPG until 2007, just not in the time nor in the method I thought...

...that I would be 32 years old and frantically downloading all the expansions to screw around with and change/houserule, in time for our campaign continuation of Space Crusade next month?

Chainsworded Codpiece
18-09-2006, 16:35
I'd just move to a new country (Scotland) and 40k seemed to be some cool British thing to be into at the time.

What?

Since when has wargaming or RP'ing been "cool" amongst the general populous? Europe really IS different from the States.

Xhrist, I got thrown down a flight of stairs in High School for admitting to being a gamer. I got called "faggot", "Satanist" and "communist".

Even today, there's a fair piece of misconceptions about what wargaming /RP'ing is. "Cool Brititsh thing to do?" Wow. I thought acceptable Scottish pastimes included stabbing one another and listening to the Rezillos;) .

Lucky duck. That story gives me hope that not everything back in the day sucked.

Grindgodgrind
18-09-2006, 16:50
I walked into my local store with my mum one day about 12 years ago, and I was most interested. I got an old catalogue/display catalogue and one of the old 'eavy metal painting booklets (Remember those?). Over the next couple of years, I started getting White Dwarf, culminating on my 12th birthday, when I received a copy of 2nd edition 40k, and Dark Millenium for Christmas. Happy days!

Now, I'm back :)

Lordsaradain
18-09-2006, 16:52
My friends got me into it.

Kriegsherr
18-09-2006, 17:19
Well, the store were I and my best friend bought our battletech minis had this strange miniatures from a strange company from england that seemed to be a mixture of sci-fi and fantasy.
One day he bought an eldar warlock and I a space marine dev with las-cannon... and then came a big box, hundreds of orks, marines, chaos demons and beastmen... :)

Since when has wargaming or RP'ing been "cool" amongst the general populous? Europe really IS different from the States.

Xhrist, I got thrown down a flight of stairs in High School for admitting to being a gamer. I got called "faggot", "Satanist" and "communist".

Oi.... this sounds like McCarthy's era ;)

Most people I met were impressed by my miniatures. And most males were at least mildly interested in the game mechanics or fluff, while female friends admire a especially detailed miniature.
Not that I would try to "impress the chicks" with it, but I have found that its seen as far "cooler" than PC gaming and even videogaming (Videogaming having a much higher status among the non-geeks than PC gaming), must be the old-school "cool".... as long as something sounds old-school, its cool. And what could be more old school than gaming with lead minis and dices when you could use computers and beamers.

Then again, I never really fitted into the "geek" stereotype, beeing very sportive and shower once a day ;)

Hicks
18-09-2006, 17:58
I started playing 5th ed. WHFB, then I got sucked into necromunda. I started reading about WH40K and the fluff blew me away. I proceeded to convince my friends that we should start playing 3rd ed. 40K instead of the horrible cheeze fest of herohammering that was Fantasy at that time. I started buying a couple of Catachan minis (I then tought they looked gorgeous), because I wanted an army that was the opposite of my Vampire Counts because back then they were horribly overpowered and you had to be a real tool to loose with them. I quickly found out that IG is a very expensive army to build so I switched to Flesh Tearers. The 40K fad died shortly after that and we hadn't even played more than 2-3 games each. My buds and I got into clix games, until power creep made them boring. I traded all my 40K stuff for Lizardmen when the new army came out, I also bought a VC army from my brother's friend. I traded the VC for Nids and the lizards for Eldars. Those 2 armies remained in my closet while I was trying to revive my gaming group... and then it happened, a guy traded me all my clix for a huge Steel Legion army with wich I'm totally in love. I then played my first REAL 40K game and since then I can really say that I play the game.

||-MARKO-||
18-09-2006, 18:27
well, i began with batlle games in middel earth, whch brought me inot the GW hobby. then, as if by magic, i discovered a GW stashed away in my local town centre. instant magic. and so, bla bla bla, i eventually became more and more reliant on the GW for my minis, and hten became completely reliant, unsubscribing for BGIME.

then after a year or so, i began to find this creeping felling in my head that said : ''40k, 40k , 40k.''

i just loved the ocncept of no underlying , relaitively hold-backy plot, and such mayhem involving gun, tanks and sci-fi ish nightmare future.

and so my trawl to find an army began. i went through tau, chaos, guard, before settling on blood angels.

and so here i am, not so long after the voice started, weilding my blood angels like a large, sharp sword.

(phew, that hurts my fingers :( )

Goatboy
18-09-2006, 18:36
I was at junior school, not sure how old I was at the time(not very). A kid had brought in a white dwarf(it was still in double figures) and I thought it looked really cool. One copy of RT and 1st ed Space hulk later I was hooked:D

Cromenon
18-09-2006, 18:47
i don't really know how it started, but suddenly i got lots of skeleton warriors and started to play fantasy. i began with 40k when i got to know some friends who played it, and i got hooked

Spell_of_Destruction
18-09-2006, 18:59
Sometime in early 1997 a new kid at school who I had recently befriended called me up to ask me if I wanted to start playing 40K. I had collected Citadel Combat Cards before so I was aware of the game and it had always appealled to me but I had never had anyone to play against. I really didn't need much convincing.

We had a gaming group of 6 with each army that existed at the time represented (Space Marines, Eldar, Orks, Chaos, Tyranids, Imperial Guard). We didn't really have much of a clue about rules or tactics but we had great fun nonetheless.

It only lasted about 6 months until I had to leave the school, but I am very nostalgiac about that time. The whole hobby was incredibly new and exciting.

DragonPup
18-09-2006, 20:07
I played Dawn of War and got sucked into the fluff, then the game. Ow, my wallet!

TTuren
20-09-2006, 06:14
I was long aware of the existence of 40k but I had always rejected the cost until that is a friend of friend offered up his IG armor for almost nothing. Another friend of mine knowing how cheap I am bought it for me. That was all coming about as GW was casting the final die of 2nd Ed. I've never looked back and have since purchased 2 more armies. The game just sucks you in. :)

Psycho_Laughs
20-09-2006, 07:10
it was about 9 months after i graduated from high school in 2002.
a buddy of mine who i hadn't talked to since graduation had found his old (second edition) miniatures and was getting back into the game with this other guy. the other guy turned out to be a real jerk so he set to get me to play the game. i saw a squad of steel legion and a commissar for 16 bucks at the local game store, and saw it for the good deal it was.
after that it has been a downward spiral... 4 armies later i'm still in love with the game.

Winterseve
20-09-2006, 16:23
When I moved to Illinois a few months ago, a buddy from work was talking about 40k and was trying to get me into it. At first it sounded lame but once I checked out the game I was hooked and started buying my bugs.

Montford981
20-09-2006, 17:09
My friend Phil whined and begged me to get into 40K (I'd been playing historical, fantasy and sci fi miniatures games for years). So I chose Sisters of Battle because it was recommended as the best army to annoy people with.

And it is. :)

And how can an entire army of intolerant female homicidal pyromaniacs not be fun? ;)

Ozendorph
20-09-2006, 18:39
I Played D&D from age 9, and got into various RPG/strat games over the years including CarWars, Battletech, GURPS, and plenty of others I have since forgotten.

I came across WHFB in at age 14 and just loved it. A couple years of Fantasy Battle (played primarily with Ral Partha and Grenadier minis) eventually led me to WH40K at age 16.

Flash forward 17 years, I'm 33, married with one child, and I probably play and paint more regularly now than I ever have. :)

pork_belly_futures
20-09-2006, 18:48
University for me...

I had always gone into stores that sold the minis, and always enjoyed looking at them, I just didn't understand them. So, when a friend of mine bought the starter box set, I thought it was very cool and started my own army.

Have never looked back... well I have looked back and never regretted my decision to get into the game!

Jellicoe
20-09-2006, 20:38
Similar to Ozendorph except add one year and delete one child

AD&D, WWII wargames, WFB rules from the back of the first citadel journal,rogue trader, wilderness years during the nineties and returned to it a few years ago when space and wage made it a viable hobby once again