PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Psy-Titans

schoon
10-09-2006, 16:32
...and another Titan question that came up in the Main Forum.

First the easy part: Psy-Titans are referenced in Codex: Eye of Terror and in the old Adeptus Titanicus fluff (though I'm not sure exactly where in that case). Does anyone know of anywhere that they're given more than just a tiny snippet?

Next: do Armageddon-Class titans exist, are they a bastardization of the Capitol Imperialis class of the same name, or are they the fevered imaginings of someone who's taken too much Ny-Quil. Personally, I've never heard of them. Perhaps fluff-ologists more psychotic than myself have?

Kage2020
10-09-2006, 16:39
I seem to remember that it was in the original Adeptus Titanicus literature, but for the life of me I cannot remember a page reference. Well, that's not unreasonable since it has been a long time since I looked at that book!

Anyway, the reference went something like this:

THE DIVISIO TELEPATHICA
The Divisio Telepathica operated the dreaded, but very rare, Psi-Titans, and is somewhat smaller than either the Divisio Militaris or Divisio Mandati. The Telepath Orders each operate from a hidden Forge World near the heart of the Imperium- ready to respond to dire crises in human space.

Kage

Yarick Zan
10-09-2006, 16:42
Sounds almost like titans being made GK style. Kage would you mind digging that out and giving us a reference? and maybe if your nice enough the ISBN number for the book?

Minister
10-09-2006, 17:19
They are also mentioned in the Epic: Armageddon Adeptus TItanicus lists, which present them as Warlords with psy cannon and head mounted weapons rather than the normal carapace guns. The nature of these weapons (and from their rules I doubt them to be scaled-up GK weapons) is not mentioned.

I've never heard of Armageddon class titans.

Kage2020
10-09-2006, 18:32
Sounds almost like titans being made GK style. Kage would you mind digging that out and giving us a reference? and maybe if your nice enough the ISBN number for the book?
That's going back a long ways, Yarick Zan. The material came with the game "Adeptus Titanicus", i.e. here (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4091). Or it might have been Space Marine (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4001). All of my game resources are currently in Blighty, so I can only check some of my material that I managed to photocopy or scan... And, no, I cannot send this to anyone! :D

I'm sure that it won't be too long until some wargame/collector comes in with the appropriate 'fluff' reference.

Kage

Mechanicus
10-09-2006, 19:04
I'm sure that it won't be too long until some wargame/collector comes in with the appropriate 'fluff' reference.
Ah, my cue. :D :p

The Divisio Telepathica operated the dreaded, but very rare, Psi-Titans, and is somewhat smaller than either the Divisio Militaris or Divisio Mandati. The Telepath Orders each operate from a hidden Forge World near the heart of the Imperium- ready to respond to dire crises in human space.

I got this quote from the online rulebook that GW once did for Adeptus Titanicus.

EDIT: Not, however, the Adeptus Titanicus II that GW once did. They're different things.

El_Machinae
10-09-2006, 19:06
GW combines words in such a way to make them seem powerful and scarey.

Psi-titan does this very nicely!

Kage2020
10-09-2006, 19:13
Well, at least I got the source right from 15 year-old memories. That's got to be worth something! ;)

Kage

schoon
11-09-2006, 02:46
Thanks for the pointer Mechanicus!

As for the other half of the question, I have it from a pretty decent source on EpiComms (http://www.tacticalwargames.net/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi) that they are a fan creation and not official.

Jim
11-09-2006, 15:50
As has been mentioned somewhere else....there is no such thing as an Armaggeddon Class titan in any material that I can remember...

However...there was in EPIC three Ad Mech super heavy vehicles which might fit the bill..

Ordinatus: which where huge (bigger than baneblade/smaller than a leviathan) tracked things with three varients...one with a sonic cannon, one with 6 huge one shot missles and one with a big plasma gun like off an Emperor Titan...which was IIRC called Ordinatus Armageddon

They were models made and I seem to remeber them being released about the same time that EPIC Squats got their huge superheavy monsters (IE The Cyclops)

Hope this helps!!

Inquisitor S.
11-09-2006, 17:22
Ordinati Armageddon, Mars and Golgotha were released around White Dwarf 191.

Hellebore
12-09-2006, 07:00
Armageddon titans are mentioned in the grey knights novels (I think).

As to the psi-titan, I imagine it is similar in function to the eldar warlock titan, just, you know, uglier.

Hellebore

Ikkaan
12-09-2006, 09:23
Those psi-guns would be similar to the psy-bolter ravenor uses, or ? So its a titan that does extra damage to psychic opponents ? Like shooting the big ones when fighting tyranids or especially to counter alpha plus psykers ?

Nazguire
12-09-2006, 09:45
Those psi-guns would be similar to the psy-bolter ravenor uses, or ? So its a titan that does extra damage to psychic opponents ? Like shooting the big ones when fighting tyranids or especially to counter alpha plus psykers ?

I believe it is essentially a weapon that shoots Warp energy, a Warp cannon so to speak.

El_Machinae
12-09-2006, 11:22
Though industrial-sized psi-bolts would be neat (and terribly, terribly expensive). They'd only be deployed against the strangest of threats (ideally).

Chainsworded Codpiece
12-09-2006, 15:23
Someone mentioned that they thought the original Psi-titan stats (or background) might be in the original Space Marine Epic-scale game.

Sadly, it is not so. The mass of titans mentioed are those of the familiar Warlord class, et cetera. Nor are there any pictures that might give a clue as to these...just the standard Warlords, Warhounds, and big 'ol Rolling Fortress-Cannons that the Legions leased from the Divisio Militaris.

Some great "Kev Walker-becomes-Sergio Aragones"-style battle scenes, in the vein of a power-armored Battle of Issus. But no Psi-Titans for the Imperium. :(

schoon
12-09-2006, 17:26
Oddly enough, this whole thread has suggested another twisted modeling project to my fevered mind...

Take an Epic Warhound (easier) or Warlord (more expensive) titan and sculpt a "psychic hood" around the head with appropriate massive cabling, and create some weapons that look like up-scaled versions of the Grey Knights (or Inquisitorial) psi-cannons.

Doing a ripple effect on the earth of the base might give it a good erie effect as well, as if the titan were the center of the ripple... or some sort of source lighting effect... ideas, ideas.

Commander Ozae
12-09-2006, 17:44
That would be an immensly powerful weapon but one that would be very expensive to make. Firstly, this requires innovation on the part of the Mechanicus, not something they're very fond of. But as we've seen with the Blackstone Fortresses psychic blasts ignore shields and easily cut through almost anything. So it could be an Ordinatus weapon but unlikely as a Titan.

Yarick Zan
12-09-2006, 22:41
lake the 7 inch bombard template blast? it would make sense.

Talos402000
13-09-2006, 00:06
GW actually made the parts for the Psi Titan, they just never posted the rules for it. You can still occasionally find the sprue on e-bay. A Psi Titan is a warlord class titan armed with a Custodian Head, 2 warp cannons and carries an astropathic choir on its back. Here is a conversion somebody did for epic:http://www.epic40k.co.uk/lib/comp/epicomp04/singletitan_heat1.html (see second picture down). He posted the rules for that somewhere but I can't find them right now.

Nazguire
13-09-2006, 07:25
The availability of Psi-Titans is a question I'm willing to ask. We almost never hear about them, even in the sparse Titan background (well...sparse of any real detailed stuff) and the last known reference that had any real detail to it was in the Epic: Space Marine era.

Are they abolished from the background? Or do people think they'll crop up again in the Epic: Armageddon game sometime, as they are quite a fascinating idea for a Titan, especially if fleshed out more than simply a 'Grey Knight' Titan.

Hellebore
13-09-2006, 07:34
The availability of Psi-Titans is a question I'm willing to ask. We almost never hear about them, even in the sparse Titan background (well...sparse of any real detailed stuff) and the last known reference that had any real detail to it was in the Epic: Space Marine era.

Are they abolished from the background? Or do people think they'll crop up again in the Epic: Armageddon game sometime, as they are quite a fascinating idea for a Titan, especially if fleshed out more than simply a 'Grey Knight' Titan.

They WERE mentioned in the force disposition charts in both the EoT and Armageddon campaigns...

Hellebore

Okidus
13-09-2006, 19:55
there is no mention of titans in the GK novel, FYI
It was a great book though!

anyone know other good 40k novels?

Nazguire
14-09-2006, 07:25
They WERE mentioned in the force disposition charts in both the EoT and Armageddon campaigns...

Hellebore

I'm well aware of that, hence why I said 'any real detail'. Names do not count as detail.

Voronwe[MQ]
27-09-2006, 19:10
GW combines words in such a way to make them seem powerful and scarey.

Psi-titan does this very nicely!

Combines worlds to make 'em seem powerful and scary? Hell, yes, all the time. Though rarely in BL books, mercifully:p