PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eldar psychology?

Outlaw289
10-09-2006, 23:39
I really don't know much about it. All they all psychotic nutters who solve all their problems by killing, or are they civilized around each other, with rudimentary laws and customs?

The Venerable Archmage
11-09-2006, 12:55
I'd say that they were not just possessed of rudimentary civilisation, but of a deeply sophisticated one. They are Eldar, after all, albeit of the darker kind. They have a civilisation, and it is complex, artistic, brilliant, and brutally violent. The Dark Eldar, and the truest heirs of the pre-Fall Eldar, maintain the same sophisticated hedonism which birthed Slaanesh. We see this expressed in their precise slave raids and skirmishes, because we play a wargame. If one were to live in Comorragah, one would also see the art, the architecture, the music and the subtle (though not bloodless) politics. The Dark Eldar do nothing by half measures, and have centuries or millenia to perfect their skills at whatever they may turn their hands to. It is their selfishness which make their society so evil, not mindlessness, because the Dark Eldar are anything but.

The above is, however, personal opinion not necessarily based solidly on fluff. Then again, given the sparse fluff for the Dark Eldar, we have to make do with what we've got.

cav da man
11-09-2006, 15:33
there was a large thread somewhere in which many people put forward how they think the dark eldar should be. If anyone can get a link for it...What archmage says is the general theme to most of it but again it's more down to what makes you go "wowowowowowowowowow!!!! omgomgomg!!!!! that is soo cool !*space here for you to wet yourself if needed*":), if you enjoy thinking they are insane killing machines who like spikes, kinky whips and cutting things into teeny tiny pieces then enjoy that.

damz451
11-09-2006, 17:43
THe dark eldar before the fall enjoyed everything, from kinky stuff to art so i doubt they'd give it all up just for mindless killing. This may be a weird analigy (sp) but the dark eldar power struggles remind me of stargate and of the gauld, always trying to seek power for themselfs without having to cause constant bloodbaths.

The codex does suggest some very creepy but smart ideas that the dark eldar use, for instance the story about the old man with the warning about the monsters that hunt man every 100 years or so. I thought it was pretty cool how the dark eldar gave him a desease that kept him alive until the next attack in order for him to scare the crap out of the civilians so that they would be more fun to capture.

With such high technoligy they must be civilised in some sense, the only aspect we see them is with the slave raids which could just be farming for the dark eldar, the farmers return to sell off the souls to the dark eldar who live in commargh in exchange for other services such as weapons and vehicles.

Zephro
11-09-2006, 17:49
They're basically Drow or Dark Elves.

Indrid Khold
11-09-2006, 18:13
Not necessarily.

Here is the older thread:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41852&highlight=clive+barker+imajica

Here is the page with my (rather verbose) thoughts on the matter (second post down):

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41852&page=4&highlight=clive+barker+imajica

The abbreviated version: They indulge in every sensation, thrill, and creative outlet with the superhuman focus of the Eldar. Thus their society would be filled with virtuoso painters, composers, sculptors, etc. who all happen to also excel in slowly torturing their foes to death over hundreds of years.

Kage2020
11-09-2006, 22:19
I'm going to agree with both Zephro and IK on this one and, indeed, I'm also going to 'port in some of IK's posts on 40k General since, well, I think they're fascinating and this thread would be shorter without them. The Dark Eldar are something that I've always avoided, but recently in trying to create a consistent set of rules for psykers in the 40k universe (using RPG rules) they've excited me. Admittedly this is partially because of the aforementioned "Drow" of Menzobarranzan link mentioned by Zephro, but even then if one uses such inspiration one has to suitably 40k-ify it.

Let us first examine the initial reason for the Eldar Fall... The Eldar civilization, its every needs seen to by technology which also made them unassailable in combat, began to turn their interests to the exploration of all sensation and knowledge.
I agree that this is a part of it, but not that it is the sole reason for it. Ultimately it can come down to the ability of the Eldar to "experience emotions a thousand times more intensely than a human". Normally that is left at just that, but surely it is a bit more than just an experience, but one that derives out of a biochemical engine. Ultimately, the Eldar are neurochemically cross-wired "junkies" in waiting.

Why did I just go through that? I think that it is important that we do not exclusively wave hedonism as the answer, but bring it down to initial causes that can be extended in other directions. This ultimately doesn't devalue what IK was saying, merely offers an addition that might be considered later on.

This is absurd, the Eldar would no more devote themselves entirely to slaughter and death than they would writing poetry.
Again, I'm agreeing with the caveat that, ultimately, it is all "art" of one form or another. Just something to keep in mind for latter discussion.

A Dark Eldar would see the physical and mental worlds as his or her plaything, and would find no avenue of study or experience forbidden or taboo. Leave such rigidity of focus to the misguided fools of the Craftworld Eldar and their silly “Paths.”
Interesting point, though one that shades into morality and, to a degree, into the divergent Image of the two races in question (itseld a derivative in this regard of the Thematic Army premise). I mention this only because it would be my argument that the Craftworld Eldar would share similar lack of restrictions, with the exception that the Path itself acts to moderate the experience derived from it (and therefore the addiction). With that said, we also get back into that Theme, i.e. Craftworld Eldar seem to have pulled back from the whole visceral side of things that forms such a focus for the Dark Eldar.

But they would also use their prodigious intellects for the creation of art, literature, music, sculpture, sex, and architecture.
And the same time, there is the idea of "cultural art", allowing any such cultural activities to be generated upon the Theme of the Dark Eldar.

Even the constant betrayals and assassinations of higher ranking Lords could be seen as an art form, the fine art of treachery and the finer art of keeping from being betrayed.
Yes, and that is where Zephro's comment about Menzobarranzan/Drow comes into play! :D Machiavelli was a "pansy" compared to these guys 'n' gals...

Basically they should be beautiful in their darkness, elegant in their butchery, and sophisticated even in their bickering.
Now that is a rather wonderful way of putting it. Had the same kind ring to it as, "All their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad" (or whichever order they were in! ;)).

Why would a race who viewed nothing as forbidden, AND possessed immensely powerful minds, ignore their own psychic potential?
I would personally argue that the Dark Eldar do have pyskers, but ultimately their gift was "tainted" by Slaanesh. Thus a Dark Eldar that does not receive their due in "souls" must pay for it in physical debility or "taint" (a generic concept dealing with Chaotic corruption). As soon as you get the Taint, you're in trouble: it interferes with the ability to utilise psyker abilities.

With that said, the ability to "suck souls" is a product of the corruption of their innate gift, rather than as a development of that gift. If the difference can be seen, that is.

With anti-gravity technology it seems that any building configuration is possible, and the minds of the Eldar could conceive of, create, and appreciate fantastic embellishments on any design.
Exactly! Even the Craftworld Eldar can work with this one! On the other hand, the Dark Eldar might - just might - have more of a problem with power generation than the Craftworld Eldar. Of course, that depends on how you construct the metaphysics of the universe and just how wraithbone works in the Webway.

Sounds like the work of a race that could conjure Slaanesh from nothing, doesn’t it?
Or give form to formlessness... <grin>

It is not, as many players seem to think, a single urban center or even a planet, but rather a sprawling metropolis spreading through space via the Webway like a cancer.
This is where, once again, the Menzobarranzan imagery becomes useful, although you can replace "Underdark" with Webway.

This means that it could be unimaginably vast, housing more inhabitants than any Craftworld or even hive world could hope to rival ...
The only problem that you run into is the fact you run into that traditional sound bite, i.e. the Eldar are a "dying race". (There are numerous ways around this, but in such discussions it is important to point out the obvious!)

It also means that the Dark Eldar may be slowly reclaiming lost territories and worlds, incorporating them into their grand city in preparation for … who knows what?
And the same can be said for the Craftworld Eldar as well.

My pet theory is that No’akei from the Medusa V campaign is sick of Asdrubael Vect sitting on his fat ass all day drinking souls, and wants to kick him out so that she can rally the Dark Eldar and work towards reforging their lost empire (like the Biel Tan Craftworld is doing).
That's actually an interesting concept. Introduces the idea of philosophical and metaphysical variation into the Dark Eldar that I have personally (fan 'fluff') introduced into the Craftworld Eldar.

I think that, rather than being mortal enemies, the Dark Eldar should be on pretty friendly terms with the Craftworld.
This is where you get into the concept of the Thematic Image and the relationship to a perceived morality or ethics. They are, in the set up, antithetical. This polarity seems to be important. (Ha! Wouldn't want any mindless changes! <wink>)

Indeed, this antithetical nature really does seem important in the 'fluff', even if it is not necessarily derived from a specific cultural variation. (Well, that's there as well.)

There are too many lesser races to beat back to worry too much about the semantics of Eldar factions.
Nooo... Cultural dynamics are always required! That and the fact that there should be a difference between the Dark and Craftworld Eldar. For example, consider the suggested difference in their procreation (procreation/fertility).

Wha? That’s crazy! And yet it’s the only conclusion that can be reached by current fluff.
One might find this ironic, but as indicated above with the "psyker" modelling, it can be made to make sense. That is if you want it to, of course!

The Dark Eldar found that Slaanesh could still find them in Commoragh (implying, incidentally, that its core, at least, isn't in the normal Material Realm)...
When one looks to the broader 'fluff', rather than the specifics, one begins to move beyond this idea. For example, the Webway is meant to be immune to the spiritual corruption of Chaos, even though it can be physically infiltrated. Can Slaanesh' touch be felt in the Webway? I would say no and that is, indeed, the main reason that they are in the Webway, i.e. thus giving them a difference from the Craftworld Eldar who do not appear to be so. (Although if you squint and look at the 'fluff' from Goto's Warrior Coven you could probably argue otherwise. I'd say that you were insane, but there we go.)

...and it’s even worse when you consider that they fight in armor that’s negated by just about every small arms weapon in the game.
That is a problem shared by all of the Eldar because of their Theme, i.e. light attack that obviously doesn't rely on armour. This doesn't explain why they do not use prodigious protective shield technology (beyond the "holofields"), but there we go. That is one of the aforementioned problems with the 'fluff' that raises an eyebrow, mindless eyebrow or not.

Unfortunately, I haven’t really been able to come up with an adequate solution yet.
I've got the t-shirt. <grin>

The only thing I can think of is that Dark Eldar warriors pledge their souls to their masters, so that if they die in battle their essence becomes integrated with their Archon/Dracon/Succubus/Asdrubael Vect rather than going to feed Slaanesh.
Hmmn. That is, however, an interesting idea. I think that it loses the "edge" somewhat, but it might have some traction. <thinking cap now on>

One thing I’ve heard brought up a few times is how the Dark Eldar manage to survive without, apparently, having a labor/agricultural class.
A quite unoriginal answer, but appropriate. That and, of course, the obvious slave management. One would imagine that the "intelligent" Dark Eldar would be able to manage their soul crop for secondary produce (i.e. labour) where possible.

2) Work out how big Commoragh is.
Therein lies the traditional problem. If you define how big Commorragh is, then you have to define how big the Craftworlds are and, well, the Exodites. And, yes, the Crone Eldar. Then you have to define other things and, well, that's not something that GW likes to do. Definition is their anathema.

As to making them a "credible galatic force"? See the above paragraph. Then again, I'm not sure that the Tau are a "credible galactic force"!

Work out their defense against the Great Enemy. The soul stealing thing is, as it stands, flimsy as hell.
Actually, with a bit of effort it works.

Give them psykers. They’re Eldar for cryin’ out loud.
And when you make the above works, this works.

They’re arrogant, remember, why wouldn’t they think they can regain the empire that they lost?
Counter argument: Do they even care?

Don’t ever, EVER, give into temptation and make them Chaos Eldar. That would be lame as all getout, and totally clichéd.
Amen. Although is that a cliche that is inescapable? <ducks>

Kage

damz451
11-09-2006, 22:53
Doesnt the fluff bout the striking scorpions vs incubi suggest that the dark eldar and craftworld eldar hate each other?, Why would the cwe defend a human hive city from the dark eldar? also the exarch seemed pretty pissed off when he was fighting the incubi

Easy E
11-09-2006, 23:05
Wow, that's a lot to digest. I will agree with Kage that Indrid Khold and IncubiLord have done a fantastic job getting me interested in the DE. Their work in Medusa V and other threads has been very exciting.

I would contended that the Dark Eldar have an incredibly complex array of laws, rules, and regulations. All of which are made to be broken. The rub is that, you have to have plausable deniability. I highly doubt they can have a workable society without guidelines.

As for the nature of Commoragh. I agree that it is a sprawling place inside the webway, not a planet or city in the traditional sense. I will also speculate that there are more places than simply Commoragh that the Dark Eldar inhabit, Commorragh is the center of the Dark Eldar universe (and in their mind, the actual universe).

Another issue that comes up alot is the whole, Dying Race angle. Many people have a tough time squaring this with the nature of the DE.

I would argue that they aren't knocking each other off all of the time. Yes murder and backstabbing is an accepted past time, but the very nature of breaking the rules and being able to get away with it limits these activies to the sure thing. So Warrior A couldn't just causally walk up and off Sybarite B to get her position. He would have to wait until he had an alibi, she had exposed herself, and there were no witnesses. If some one could make a convincing case against him, rather than infer what happened, Warrior A would face severe punishment. Not for the murder of Sybarite B, but because of his lack of skills.

Also, their populations aren't skyrocketing. I would image that the DE like to indulge in carnal behaviours. However, since they are such an advanced race birth control would not be difficult. In addition, only those DE that were very secure in their position would even consider putting themselves into a weakened position to have children. However, the advantages are that KIN are more trustworthy than anyone else in the DE world.

In conclusion, DE are still a dying race because they have rules to keep from exterminating themselves in inter-DE treachery/wars; and their birth rate is not significantly higher than CWE because of the risk involved with becoming preganant/raising young ones. These two factors keep their numbers stagnant.

I think I have rambled on long enough.

Edit: I would also argue that the Striking Scorpion and Incubi hatred is not representative of CWE and DE regard for each other. That's a special case regarding a fallen pheonix lord and martial pride.

Kage2020
11-09-2006, 23:25
Wow, that's a lot to digest.
<grin> Not really. Just more than we are normally provided with! ;)

I will agree with Kage that Indrid Khold and IncubiLord have done a fantastic job getting me interested in the DE.
Just a reminder that it has all been done before, even though IK has come up with some wonderful examples and illustrations.

As for the nature of Commoragh. I agree that it is a sprawling place inside the webway, not a planet or city in the traditional sense.
I would remind readers of the premise of the "Webway node"! ;)

I will also speculate that there are more places than simply Commoragh that the Dark Eldar inhabit...
Ergo the above. ;)

Many people have a tough time squaring this with the nature of the DE.
Perhaps they do not share the same population pressures as the rest of the Eldar?

If some one could make a convincing case against him, rather than infer what happened, Warrior A would face severe punishment. Not for the murder of Sybarite B, but because of his lack of skills.
That is, however, an extension of the Drow image! <grin>

In addition, only those DE that were very secure in their position would even consider putting themselves into a weakened position to have children.
Which is a fascinating point...

Kage

Philip S
12-09-2006, 03:59
I tends to think of the Dark Eldar as being like spoilt super rich kids who have gone over the edge. DE are psychotic to others and sociopaths to their own, but have a rigid social system enforced with violence against personal 'traitors'.

The abduct those they think inferior to force into becoming play things, and gift for others to carry favour. It is a system of spite and malice, hedonistic gratification at the expense of others and snobbery run amok.

They may pursue Slaaneshi ways, yet they also resist its embrace (otherwise they wouldn't mind being consumed).

Similar to the worst aspects of Rome?

Philip

Kandarin
12-09-2006, 04:17
Doesnt the fluff bout the striking scorpions vs incubi suggest that the dark eldar and craftworld eldar hate each other?

Yes, they do. The Dark Eldar and Craftworld Eldar hate each other. The key word here is hate. Not disdain, not disregard, not apathy, not petty disgust...in short, not the attitudes they give to Humans, Tau, Orks, and all those other dirty little vermin that crawl over what used to be the Eldar's galaxy. The two Eldar cultures hate each other, but that means they see the other as worthy of hate. And in a sense, that's more respect than they give to anyone else.

Indrid Khold
12-09-2006, 08:29
Yes, they do. The Dark Eldar and Craftworld Eldar hate each other.

Uh ... no they don't. Sorry.

Check your fluff again. Striking Scorpions and Incubi hate each other because of the whole Arhra going to the Dark Side thing, but the majority of Eldar and DE just think that their cousins are misguided. In the story in the DE codex where they fight, both sides just give sad, frustrated shakes of their heads as to why their brethren can't see the Truth. They fight on occasion, sure, but even Craftworld Eldar fight each other from time to time, so is anybody really surprised by this? They aren't High and Dark Elves. Get out of that mode of thinking. The Great Enemy of the Eldar is the Great Enemy of ALL Eldar, they don't have epic blood feuds like Elves do.

Aaaanyway, some thoughts on Kage's points:

I'm also going to 'port in some of IK's posts on 40k General since, well, I think they're fascinating

Why, thank you. You too, Easy E. I do what I can. :)

I would personally argue that the Dark Eldar do have pyskers, but ultimately their gift was "tainted" by Slaanesh. Thus a Dark Eldar that does not receive their due in "souls" must pay for it in physical debility or "taint" (a generic concept dealing with Chaotic corruption). As soon as you get the Taint, you're in trouble: it interferes with the ability to utilise psyker abilities.

I'm sure it would be hazardous to be a powerful Dark Eldar psychic, but to say that there just aren't any at all is ridiculous given the backstory of the Eldar.

The only problem that you run into is the fact you run into that traditional sound bite, i.e. the Eldar are a "dying race". (There are numerous ways around this, but in such discussions it is important to point out the obvious!)

The Eldar in general might be dying, but I always tended to see the Dark Eldar as having at least a steady population. After all, they've been killing each other for 10,000 years, and no Dark Eldar character to my knowledge (and I admit that I haven't read all the crap 40K novels out there which might refute this) has ever whined about how Commorrogh was emptying out.

That's actually an interesting concept. Introduces the idea of philosophical and metaphysical variation into the Dark Eldar that I have personally (fan 'fluff') introduced into the Craftworld Eldar.

Precisely. I have always liked the Dark Eldar because, since there is so little fluff about them, you could take conventional Eldar tropes and warp them slightly.

Nooo... Cultural dynamics are always required! That and the fact that there should be a difference between the Dark and Craftworld Eldar.

I never said there shouldn't. Craftworld, Kabbalic, Harlequin, and Exodite Eldar are all profoundly different. But they are still members of a dying race, with a loooooong shared history (their 10,000 years of seperation isn't much when you consider A) how long the Eldar race has been around and B) how long Eldar live -- Vect and, more debateably, Eldrad have been around since the Fall). I'm not saying they aren't different, I'm not saying they won't fight, but I do think it would be a mistake to claim that they hate each other and lust for the total extinction of the rival cultures. As I said before, I think Dark and CW Eldar would be more want to roll their eyes at each other than shoot each other (at least until shooting each other advances some other agenda).

[regarding Dark Eldar pleding thier souls to archons to escape chaos] Hmmn. That is, however, an interesting idea. I think that it loses the "edge" somewhat, but it might have some traction. <thinking cap now on>

I think it adds to their nihilistic edge. The individual ego of the Dark Eldar warrior would be completely overwhelmed int he process: effectively gauranteeing them oblivion. To choose nothingness over the torment of the Warp adds character to them, I think.

Counter argument: Do they even care?

That's actually something I've been thinking about myself lately. If we accept the premise that Commorogh's population is not rapidly declining, then I could buy the Dark Eldar not being too terribly concerned with taking back their empire. They seem to having a pretty good time as it is with all that raiding and enslaving.

I DO think they would try to find a way to defeat the Great Enemy, possibly Ygethmor style (I think it would be very cool to have some Dark Eldar involved in that particular conspiracy, or have Dark Eldar as part of the crew at the Black Library).

So yeah. There you have it.

Edit: Oh, and on the subject of Dark Eldar society having complex rules and such: I just don't buy it. I read the Drizzt Do'Urden books, too, and I liked that aspect of Drow culture, but I do'nt see it for the DE. They don't even PRETEND to have a government or ruling council, basically just a big anarchic society in which isolated islands of order have been created for mutual survival and benefit.

Easy E
12-09-2006, 22:42
I will say this, every society has rules. I just think that DE rules are more unwritten than most. There is a power structure in Commoragh, and I don't think this can be disputed. One of the checks on the more crazed behaviors of individual DE is these unwritten rules. It is these unwritten societal rules that keep them from just killing every potential rival instantly. Once the line has been crossed, there is no going back. I would even go so far as to say, there are some "rules" that can not be broken by any DE. Even Vect.

Think of our own lives and all of the unwritten rules we face on a daily basis, even the most individualistic of us.

I agree that the CWE and DE do not hate each other. The Scorpions may hate the Incubi, but that is due to the special relationship between the two. CWE and DE probably feel closer affinity for each other than a CWE to a human. I think the DE in 40K sometimes get consumed into the DE of fantasy. I guess you have to fill their background with something.

RampagingRavener
13-09-2006, 00:21
TBH, I can't say much that IK hasn't already said. The idea of them just being a crapload of mindless psychos doesn't sit well with me. I always imagined that DE would have partners, and freinds, and the like-though, just because two Dark Eldar share some sort of connection doesn't mean they won't still sneer at every other living organism that crosses their path.

But, yea. I imagine Commoragh as being filled with arts-halls would be lined with massive stained-glass windows, statures and sculptures would be prevailant, music and poetry would be indulged in by the majority, both creating and experiancing. Thats where some of their arrogance should stem from-to them, they've created a society they see as better than any other, where virtually everything can be taken as an art and with next to no social taboos.

Really, as long as they make it clear that they're more than just EEEEVIL Eldar who come murder, pilliage, torture, enslave and drink souls because they're EEEEVIL and bring them more towards a darkly artistic, hedonistic society then I'd be happy.

Kage2020
13-09-2006, 00:59
Hmmn... I liked some of the concepts, but not the direction that this is taking. Methinks that I'll bow out and take the discussion elsewhere. At least until something else crops up.

/Kage

cav da man
13-09-2006, 19:43
which direction would that be specificly?
I like most of what i've heard here, personally i would go for a more socially orientated view but without the self control that would keep friends together. So they have friends and family but things would go easily wrong.
The friends would not be how we see them though, i would suggest it more as a non enemy who you occasionally indulge with in some art or activity that you both decide is his/her own fave none of that "what do you wanna do?" "im not bovered how bout you?" rubbish.

RampagingRavener
13-09-2006, 20:22
The friends would not be how we see them though, i would suggest it more as a non enemy who you occasionally indulge with in some art or activity that you both decide is his/her own fave none of that "what do you wanna do?" "im not bovered how bout you?" rubbish.

Pretty much how I see (and failed to articulate) it-I can't see groups of Dark Eldar loitering about on Commoragh street corners, for want of a better analogy. More like Artist/Subject type arrangements, or gatherings with a specific goal in mind-a small group of Dark Eldar may be drawn together in order to eliminate a rival far more dangerous than either of them individually.

Easy E
13-09-2006, 21:19
CWE eldar have different political groupings with different agendas such as re-building their Empire (Biel-Tan?), isolationist practices, seeing other Xenos as tools, Re-constructing the webway, and anything else you can imagine. Kage2020 has postulated that Eldar of varies political stripes will form clans. I'm not an expert on the specifics, but they are essentially politically oriented groupings with symbols relating to their agenda.

Now my question is, would these ideas of political affiliation within the CWE by a universal Eldar clan system that would extend to Exodites and Dark Eldar or are they Craftworld specific?

Part of me wants them to be associations from pre-fall that have been transplanted into the new way of the Eldar. The other part of me says they should be new institutions created by the CWE specifically to deal with their new realities, and thus not extend to other Eldar social groups.

Thoughts?

Sgt Biffo
13-09-2006, 21:48
To me they Dark Eldar come across as qutie Nihilistic. They worship nothing. Make no attempt to contact other races, exept to destroy. They hold almost no value in anything, including their own lives.

I guess my insight falls down when you consider that they maintain a heirarchy (albeit through fear and violence), make an artform of killing and that they revel in communication of one thing; Fear!:eek:

I love them (though do not play them... yet $$$) because they suit the gothic horror of 40k so well. They are the only race which could be truely thought of as evil.

Kage2020
13-09-2006, 23:18
Oh, and on the subject of Dark Eldar society having complex rules and such: I just don't buy it. I read the Drizzt Do'Urden books, too, and I liked that aspect of Drow culture, but I do'nt see it for the DE. They don't even PRETEND to have a government or ruling council, basically just a big anarchic society in which isolated islands of order have been created for mutual survival and benefit.
Such rules can be inherited from their previous (pre- and peri-Fall Eldar) culture. Furthermore, it seems reasonable to suggest that the Archons engage in some form of social interaction, and such things tend to be ritualised over time, at least to an extent.

As to the Dark Eldar having no government? They're almost classic "Big Man" chiefdoms by the looks of it. Surely?

Kage2020 has postulated that Eldar of varies political stripes will form clans.
In many ways you can think of them in terms of the 'Net-based "clan"; as you say, an interest group that joins together around (mostly) common agenda. Of course, there are some other aspects to it, including collective rearing of children, devolution of the premise of the nuclear family, etc., but there you go. Most definitely not everyones cup of tea, but it works for me.

Now my question is, would these ideas of political affiliation within the CWE by a universal Eldar clan system that would extend to Exodites and Dark Eldar or are they Craftworld specific?
It's entirely possible. Little more to say at the moment, though, since when you begin to talk about this you have a complex interplay of peoples' interpretations.

(And let's not go down the "evil" road once more... :D)

Kage

RampagingRavener
13-09-2006, 23:31
I would imagine that each Kabal would have its own "goverment"-essentially, the Archon and his/her own bunch of advisors/cronies who decide how everything in the Kabal works out for the lesser Warriors of the Kabal.

As for an overarching, "ruler" of Commoragh, there would be no set goverment except what the most powerful players in Commoragh (The Incubi, Vect, and Possibly the Wyche Cult) say-something which would in no way be actually 'official', but just them using their power to get what they want from the smaller Kabals with threats of being wiped out. Of course, many Kabals would flout what the big players say.