PDA

View Full Version : need help on Dwarfs!

corben_da
11-09-2006, 02:41
Hi,
i have been thinking on making a dwarf army, but id would like to make a bit different army than you usually see at tournaments. Any suggestions? :)

ExquisiteEvil
11-09-2006, 02:49
Hi,
i have been thinking on making a dwarf army, but id would like to make a bit different army than you usually see at tournaments. Any suggestions? :)

How many points?

What models do you have?

Its a little hard to help with so little info. Post a WIP list and then we can maybe give you some ideas on improving it.

corben_da
11-09-2006, 05:07
Ok. I have only basic troops like thunderers and warriors. Cannon. Some slayers. I have been thinking on slayer army but its a bit boring.. Those helicopter thjngs look quite fun also :D

WLBjork
11-09-2006, 08:19
Put up a list of what you would like to get.

I reccomend that you get roughly 50% more points than you would play with so you have some flexibilty, and can play larger games.

My only reccomendation would be to avoid more than 1 warmachine per 1000 points, as they are unreliable.

lord_blackfang
11-09-2006, 08:28
Hi,

Yeah, don't field an Anvil. Original army... done.

snurl
12-09-2006, 09:14
The slayer army can be a lot of fun if you're not playing against a gun line.

Gyrocopters are OK but only good at taking out T3 opponents with any reliability.

Organ guns are great against skirmishers, especially with a rune of penetration.

Always take at least a runepriest with max dispell scrolls, you'll need it.

Wargamejunkie
12-09-2006, 10:16
I dont think the Organ gun is allowed runes, you may want to double check that.

Bran Dawri
12-09-2006, 10:38
I'm sure the organ gun can't take runes.

Aside from minor details, there are a number of dwarf army configurations at tournaments.

Some are a mix of two or more of these:

- Dwarf horde. Take a thane or a runesmith as your general, and as many dwarf warriors (at least 20 strong) as you can fit in. Maybe a bit of shooting support and/or miners (for warmachine-hunting), and you're done.
March across the board in a phalanx and grind everything under your iron-shod boots and sheer numbers.

- Dwarf elite. Dwarf lord in hammerers. Longbeards (with RO determination). Maybe one unit warriors. Slayers and miners. A bit of shooting support (cannon, organ gun and thunderers.) Occasionnally a gyrocopter.
Same tactics as horde, but requires a bit more finesse. Hits a lot harder when done right. Not seen very often.

- Dwarf detachment. Usually in conjunction with either of the above two. Uses small units of warriors with greatweapons to countercharge in the flank anything that hits your main units. Flee with small units if charged (unless they're hammerers). Anvil is often used to great effect here.

- Dwarf SAD: Shooty Army of Doom. 'Nuff said.

corben_da
12-09-2006, 13:33
elite army sounds like army for me. i'm fascinated by gyrocopters by their look and i love miners :) i'd would like to make and dwarf army that kind of surrounds enemy and hits hard at one time, or something like that..
and i would like to have few but stron and reliable units, maybe cannon and organ gun and maybe some thunderers.. but something not so usual.

snurl
13-09-2006, 06:05
OOPS

I stand corrected, you can't put any runes on an organ gun, flame cannon or gyrocopter. Took me a while to find that in the book, but it's there.

I shall now dye my hair orange and find something big to kill.

The Thnikkaman
13-09-2006, 11:05
If you're going the elite army with no shooting, I'd suggest taking two units of slayers to guard each flank, as well as a BSB with Strollaz rune.. dwarves need all the help they can get to reach the enemy! Especially if its any army with any shooting, as they just have to wait for you to come to them... Possibly even the rune which gives 5+ ward save from shooting to all dwarf units within 6".

Just a few thoughts.

Bran Dawri
13-09-2006, 13:10
Well, here's the list I normally use:

Dwarf lord
shieldbearers,
loads of runes (making your configurations is fun, so I'll let you find out what you like best)

BSB
Strollaz's rune, oathstone
points permitting, also a rune of guarding and/or a mro stromni redbeard

runesmith
2x rune of spellbreaking, greatweapon

Core:
12 thunderers
shields, champion with brace

19 warriors
heavy armour, shields, full command

19 longbeards
heavy armour, shields, full command
rune of determination + one other rune

special:
16 hammerers
shields, full command,
rune of battle, rune of stoicism

10 miners

11 trollslayers

cannon
rune of forging, engineer (brace of pisotls if you want)

rare:
organ gun
gyrocopter

FatCat
14-09-2006, 03:37
I'm sure the organ gun can't take runes.

Aside from minor details, there are a number of dwarf army configurations at tournaments.

Some are a mix of two or more of these:

- Dwarf horde. Take a thane or a runesmith as your general, and as many dwarf warriors (at least 20 strong) as you can fit in. Maybe a bit of shooting support and/or miners (for warmachine-hunting), and you're done.
March across the board in a phalanx and grind everything under your iron-shod boots and sheer numbers.

- Dwarf elite. Dwarf lord in hammerers. Longbeards (with RO determination). Maybe one unit warriors. Slayers and miners. A bit of shooting support (cannon, organ gun and thunderers.) Occasionnally a gyrocopter.
Same tactics as horde, but requires a bit more finesse. Hits a lot harder when done right. Not seen very often.

- Dwarf detachment. Usually in conjunction with either of the above two. Uses small units of warriors with greatweapons to countercharge in the flank anything that hits your main units. Flee with small units if charged (unless they're hammerers). Anvil is often used to great effect here.

- Dwarf SAD: Shooty Army of Doom. 'Nuff said.

Dang diddly ditto EVERYTHING Bran said. The man is inside my head I tell ya. Over at Bugmans there are plenty of offensive players and one nice option is the Elite offensive horde. Just lots of special troopers and warriors for fun.