PDA

View Full Version : More <army> vs <army> Box Sets?

New Cult King
11-09-2006, 07:30
With the seeming success of the Battle for McCragge and Battle for Skull Pass sets with their simple rules and 1- or 2-piece minis, do you think there is potential for more sets along these lines to be released mid-edition?

I know these two sets were released to promote new editions of 40K and Fantasy respectively, but they are fun, self-contained sets that are accessible and cheap... would GW release more of them with different armies?

Quin 242
11-09-2006, 07:36
You can probably get the 5th and 6th ed boxed sets of WHFB for relatively cheap on e-bay...

They Have Lizard men vs. Brettonians and Orcs vs Empire respectively.

Or the 3rd Ed WH40K with Space Marines and Orks (tho to be honest the figures sucked badly)

New Cult King
11-09-2006, 07:45
I know that they have done similar things before, I'm just wondering about the potential for future releases like this, without waiting for a new edition to come around.

Mr Tiddles
11-09-2006, 08:16
With the seeming success of the Battle for McCragge and Battle for Skull Pass sets with their simple rules
The rules are not "simple". They are exactly the same as the hardback rulebook.

and 1- or 2-piece minis, do you think there is potential for more sets along these lines to be released mid-edition?

I know these two sets were released to promote new editions of 40K and Fantasy respectively, but they are fun, self-contained sets that are accessible and cheap... would GW release more of them with different armies?
No

Quin 242
11-09-2006, 09:16
No

Absolutely.
The boxes in question would mean that you'd have to be interested in BOTH armies and in most cases folks are not.

Senbei
11-09-2006, 09:29
Or the 3rd Ed WH40K with Space Marines and Orks (tho to be honest the figures sucked badly)

3rd Ed was Marines Vs Dark Eldar.... Orks were 2nd Ed. As for me... I'm still on Thrugg Bullnecks Space-Ork-Raiders..... I'm about that far behind with my painting.....

You also forget 4th Ed WFB with the High Elves and Mixed Gobbo's... Though admitedly the single pose, no command units would look a wee bit nasty....

Edit: I don't see twin armies being popular.... Maybe GW could release starter sets with different forces in them ? lol. Unlikely I know, but not everybody wants to play Dwarves or Gobbo's. On the other hand, I could see packs of characters (Nemesis packs) with a diorama base being a good seller... Imagine how many they'd sell if they did something like Nagash vs Sigmar ? Jus.... Do it in the proper scale this time... please ?

hairyman
11-09-2006, 13:09
I dunno.... they're an excellent introduction to the hobby if you're getting into it with a friend... take an army each and you're away.

I also happen to have fledgling dwarf and orc armies, and I imagine I'm not the only person who'd gladly buy minis for two seperate forces at the same time.

EvC
11-09-2006, 14:48
I'd like to see it, but it'd take away too many sales of more expensive items.

rkunisch
11-09-2006, 15:40
It also may be a problem of shelf space. Those starter boxes are fairly large. Although it sounds not too bad an idea to have a campaign set with minis included, I doubt that we will seen something like that. :(

Have fun,

Rolf.

t-tauri
11-09-2006, 18:08
You'll see the same thing with each edition, but I'd be surprised if they repackage the same edition rules with different armies unless another licence like LotR comes around to upset the release schedule.

New Cult King
11-09-2006, 23:49
Perhaps instead of packing the core rules with the set, they could release campaign-type packs, like Lizardmen vs Skaven, with campaign rules.

*shrug*

Just wishful thinking on my part. I'm glad to see some others think it would be a good idea though :D

snurl
13-09-2006, 07:12
A few editions back, GW had a whole range of campaign boxes that came with background, cardstock terrain and special characters and scenarios, miniatures sold separately. Grudge of Drong was one of them.

I wished back then that the minis had come with the box.

In these days of plastics, another round of campaign packs might be just the thing, with enough plastic minis included to make them into army starters.

Are you listening GW?

Eidolon
17-09-2006, 10:26
I think it's a good idea, personally. I'd like to see a 40k starter set with something other than marines in it. Like, say, an Armageddon-themed set with IG and Orks. It could go some way of remedying the ever-precense of MEQ's.

Unfortunately, I really can't see it ever happening, but here's hoping...

Griefbringer
17-09-2006, 10:58
I wouldn't be surprised if the next starter set of 40K would pit space marines against more space marines (or perhaps chaos space marines instead).

Actually, they did that with the original epic rules (which were perhaps not so imaginatively named Space Marine) though that game was set in the times of Horus Heresy.

ArtificerArmour
17-09-2006, 12:53
There's no point, the current army boxsets offer you:

a) money off
b) A good core for an army
c) multipose models

Buy two of them instead. Then at least you and a friend have the choice of armies.

What I would suggest is perhaps giving the rules for the units in the boxset on a seperate piece of paper, then you can automatically begin playing. Then you can buy the codex to begin playing with other, more tasty units. And perhaps offer a coupon for &#163;2 off the codex from instore - but GW don't often give things away like that so it's kinda silly suggesting it.

Bloody Gauntlet
17-09-2006, 17:51
I wouldn't be surprised if the next starter set of 40K would pit space marines against more space marines (or perhaps chaos space marines instead).

Actually, they did that with the original epic rules (which were perhaps not so imaginatively named Space Marine) though that game was set in the times of Horus Heresy.

:wtf: There were (at least in my package) orcs, space marines and eldar (yes, three armies!). And definitely in the year 40k, not 30k!!!

Griefbringer
17-09-2006, 18:17
:wtf: There were (at least in my package) orcs, space marines and eldar (yes, three armies!). And definitely in the year 40k, not 30k!!!

I was talking about the _original_ (1st edition) Space Marine. The one you bought was 2nd edition (originally released in 1991) - and that was probably one of the more versatile set-ups for GW starter boxes, covering models for not two but three different factions.

Bloody Gauntlet
17-09-2006, 19:56
I was talking about the _original_ (1st edition) Space Marine. The one you bought was 2nd edition (originally released in 1991) - and that was probably one of the more versatile set-ups for GW starter boxes, covering models for not two but three different factions.

And that was me thinking I had something genuine... :( ... at least today's games are rightfully labeled with the number of it's edition (if you know where to look). What an improvement! :rolleyes: