PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Megaforce

boogle
24-06-2005, 23:02
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99120101029&orignav=9 here it is, not great IMHO, but good for a starter army

Lord Setra
24-06-2005, 23:03
Yeah had a look at that earlier on.

Good thing about it seems to be the termies, and also its use as a booster for the battalion box sets.

boogle
24-06-2005, 23:05
it just doesn't seem as good as the original Battleforce in terms of units, would have preferred 4 bikes or the New Assault Squad + and Attack bike over the Termies

Cypher
25-06-2005, 08:32
It's just the battleforce with the addition of a commander and terminator squad. Hardly anything to get excited about.

Probably would make a good starting point for an army though.

plasmadaemon
25-06-2005, 08:36
due to the price increase, we don't get as much as wwe did in the old megaforce :mad:

And yes, why include a unit of termies when you only get 1.5 of a tactical squad?

i would have thought it would be like 2 full tactical squads, a command squad with a commander. With a dread for back-up.

Tom - Heretic
25-06-2005, 08:51
Looks fairly typical of the units people would buy first. Something cool (termis), a tank, a commander and a couple of small tac squads. Much better without bikes, which I've never seen used ingames. Attack bikes aside, of course.

Dr Death
25-06-2005, 09:14
It is a rather lack lustre deal isnt it? If you've already bought the battleforce then this doesnt really help, its just giving you more of the same which dissapoints me greatly considering the number of cool plastic SM kits out there. I mean come on if you're paying 75 i know i certainly would want something a little adventurous even if it wasnt strictly effective- a land raider perhaps or even (dare i say it) a land speeder! Considering the contents of the last one (which was at least different to the battleforce) i expected a lot more.

Dr Death

heldane
25-06-2005, 09:20
And yes, why include a unit of termies when you only get 1.5 of a tactical squad?

Well the old battle force only had 1.5 tactical squads aswell though. With this deal you can of course use the command squad as part of a tactical squad so you are really getting 2 tactical squads.

Personally I'm not keen on the terminators myself, I'd have preferred a predator or other rhino variant - that way i could make 2 tac squads with rhinos out of it ans make one of the rhinos swappable to a variant when needs be.

Cheers

Dan

Tom - Heretic
25-06-2005, 09:21
Who wouldn't be buying the contents of this box if they played marines? Add in another five tac marines and some scouts, or a pred, and you've a perectly respectable army approaching 1500pts :).

philbrad2
25-06-2005, 10:06
By my reckoning 89 worth of minis for 75 that's not a bad deal GW seem to be giving more away in army sets currently. Looks like the message is 'buy big'

However if you already got the battleforce and want to add the megaforce,this set is a bit silly, why not replace the command squad with assault SM's or bikes. afte all the HQ is covered by the Capt in the megaforce. Between the battleforce and megaforce you could be the core of a decent SM army ... instead you end up with 2 command squads and no fast attack option. Hmmm..

:chrome:

boogle
25-06-2005, 10:20
yeah well the old one had:
1 Pred
1 Dread
15 Marines
5 Assault Marines
1 Rhino

much more rounded out than this one, plus there were going cheap so a god way to bulk out those marines armies

Grand_Marshal_Kazan
25-06-2005, 11:19
They are doing a lot of starter bundles for all the armies http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301225&orignav=10 and different Space Marine starters as well http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=300878&orignav=10 a good time for new blood?

warlordgrubnatz
25-06-2005, 19:38
i think the old mega-force was better, 95 worth of gear and it was a better selection of minis.

Sgt John Keel
25-06-2005, 20:49
They are doing a lot of starter bundles for all the armies http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301225&orignav=10 and different Space Marine starters as well http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=300878&orignav=10 a good time for new blood?

Interesting... the Ultramarines starter uses Cassius as a Reclusiarch for HQ, and it uses a Combi-Melta. Mistake there, or is that model still available?

/Adrian

Grand_Marshal_Kazan
26-06-2005, 02:19
Interesting... the Ultramarines starter uses Cassius as a Reclusiarch for HQ, and it uses a Combi-Melta. Mistake there, or is that model still available?

/Adrian

Got to shift all those combi-meltas somehow.

Jericho
26-06-2005, 03:44
Pretty sure it's combi-flamer actually.

boogle
26-06-2005, 06:46
it was a combi flamer, most of the generic starter deals look good, but then you realise it just the contents of the battle force that saves you money. I like the IH starter force the most of all to be honest

Grand_Marshal_Kazan
27-06-2005, 14:41
Pretty sure it's combi-flamer actually.

You are right.

charlie_c67
27-06-2005, 14:56
Think what's happened is they haven't bother to update the pic, bit slack to be honest.

Karhedron
27-06-2005, 15:26
It is a rather lack lustre deal isnt it? If you've already bought the battleforce then this doesnt really help, its just giving you more of the same
I think it is aimed at people looking to start a new army rather than those looking to expand an existing one. The discount is just to hook new customers. Once they have got you then they know you will end up buying cool stuff like the Land Raider anyway. They don't need to push them.

philbrad2
30-06-2005, 12:54
I think it is aimed at people looking to start a new army rather than those looking to expand an existing one. The discount is just to hook new customers. Once they have got you then they know you will end up buying cool stuff like the Land Raider anyway. They don't need to push them.

Yeah just had a look on the UK online store - buy an Land Raider with Teminator squad as a bundle and save ... NOTHING wow what a hook :rolleyes:

:chrome: