PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Special Character?

Simsandwich
11-09-2006, 19:27
Not doing a poll as there are far too many.
Mines has to be Nazdreg, ability to deepstrike a whole mob of Boyz?
Yes please.
Assault 1 Plasma Cannon?
Yes Please.
So who is your favourite?

Da Reddaneks
11-09-2006, 19:29
Nazdreg is awsome. he can make a freaking mob of 20 scarboyz infiltrate! wow! but i also like Zagstruk and his Vulchas a lot too. he is very inexpensive and makes a squad of stormboyz really "orky."

other favorites where in 2nd edition. Wazdakka Gutzmek when he had a battle cannon on his bike! and Runtzmaster Wortsnagga and his ability to make what basically amounted to Gretchen Special Forces!

Kegluneq
11-09-2006, 19:34
Aun'shi! Teeny model, awesome pose, and much more characterful than the current Space Pope ethereal. Shadowsun has a nifty suit, not much you can say about O'Shovah though.

Gabriel
11-09-2006, 19:53
Eldrad Ulthran or 'Big Poppa Smurf'. I think Eldrad just about does it even though he's dead.

Xander-K
11-09-2006, 19:56
Eldrad Ulthran or 'Big Poppa Smurf'. I think Eldrad just about does it even though he's dead.huh? Eldrad is leader of the Ultramarines now?

Kamin_Majere
11-09-2006, 19:59
Feugan

Just something cool about being the last person to die at the end of time when the galaxy finally ends in one gigantic war of doom

Zephro
11-09-2006, 20:03
I always liked Edrad and Fabius Bile.

Chem-Dog
11-09-2006, 20:11
Commissar Yarrick, Along with Thrakka, Yarrick is the first "personality" model GW did with rules (You could get Russ but I don't think they released rules for him). Yarrick's back story is excellent and while he might not have the OOmph he used to have, he's still a handy guy to have around.

Honorary mentions go to.
Mephiston: Because he's (almost) beaten the Curse of the Blood Angels.
Zodgrod Wortsnagga: Deranged hippy Runtherd complete with big hair/beard combo.
Wazzdakka Gutzmek: Should have had a model, Battlecannon on a Bike!
Karandaras: Big Choppy Scorpion Dude, also has the bad guy mentor issue too.

(Evil)Ash
11-09-2006, 20:12
in Kick-assness, probably Grimar (better then Abbadon, as long as he doesn't face Abbadon) oh and of course the Nightbringer:chrome:

but in fun and interresting; Saint Celestine: cool model interresting rules and not too good.

greetz,:evilgrin:

krashovrload
11-09-2006, 20:17
++

Inquisitor Karamazov for the sheer lunacy of the model - a character with a BS 5 multi-melta that can re-roll as well as move and shoot...

Always had a 'soft spot' for Mephiston though...

++

mooserehab86
11-09-2006, 20:26
Mine would probably be Typhus. I don't collect Death Guard, and I've never seen him in action...but I like the model as well as his fluff.

inq.serge
11-09-2006, 20:31
In 40k: Ezykyle Abaddon the Despoiler, Warmaster of the Black Legion.

In other 40k based games: Hmm, maybe Eisenhorn, he's cool.

Cheesehead
11-09-2006, 20:33
Maugan Ra.

xibo
11-09-2006, 20:38
For me it is Ahriman the Sourceror, Uriah Jacobbus and Jerran Kell, simply because I like the models :D

Nabeshin1106
11-09-2006, 20:39
Logan Grimnar for general kickassness

Aun'shi. I used to use him all the time, but then they had to scrap him *grumble grumble*

the creator
11-09-2006, 20:42
yarrick. love him coz hes like 70 years old and can still hold his own in fight. great backstory and excellent fluff. yarrick rules.

Azazel
11-09-2006, 20:42
Anggrath the Unbound, Special Character Bloodthirster.

Besides him Fabius Bile, I've always thought he was cool since second ed.

MeatGrinder
11-09-2006, 20:43
Ragnar Blackmane- He's so cool!!

Typhus- he has a huge scythe and has a bee hive on his back!!

Da Reddaneks
11-09-2006, 20:47
Zodgrod Wortsnagga: Deranged hippy Runtherd complete with big hair/beard combo.
i just have to throw in that Zodgrod is a fantastic model. It may be old but i think it was the best 2nd edition ork model they produced. better than gazagkhull and better than nazdreg. Its a fantastic model and still looks great next to 3rd edition models.

Wazzdakka Gutzmek: Should have had a model, Battlecannon on a Bike!
AMEN BROTHER!!!! if there was ever a "models that should have been produced" award Wazzdakka would be the winner! A nob on a warbike that had a battle cannon and heavy bolters on it, crazy rules for hauling butt and with a grot hanging on for dear life off the back! (sigh) well maybe in 4th edition.

Capslock
11-09-2006, 21:03
Has to be Cypher. He's so intricately tied to the overall fate of the entire 40k universe. Or is he? Fluff-wise he's the ultimate #$%@tease, simultaneously the best and worst part of his character.

In previous editions he was a pretty tough character rules-wise but in the fluff he was described and unstoppable. An example from a short post-EoT campaign fluff described him fighting the Necrons as "wading through an ocean of metal".

Splagbot
11-09-2006, 21:08
Captain Lysander, he's an Imperial Fist, thats all really.

Zephro
11-09-2006, 21:10
I thought the way they'd tied Cypher to the fluff qualified him for a booby prize? Or just me?

muskrat
11-09-2006, 22:26
Cypher has a hand in just about everything, and nothing all at once. Like him, Fabius Bile, and I've always had the soft spot for Brother Corbulo of the Blood Angels. Back when I played BA I got Corbulo from an ebay auction and used him as my Commander- not the best looking model nor rules, but he's earned a spot in my cold, chaos infected heart.

As for models wise, I love the model for Xavier- I use him as a Asp Champ in my Chaos army. Also, Colonel Schaffer- the guy's fluff has him surviving incredible missions where thousands die unscathed, and because of warp anomalies and time distortion effects from his trips in the warp, he's hundreds of years old! I made a cultist out of zombie/catachan parts for him and use it in my army, picture a dead/decaying Schaffer in the exact same pose as his model and you got my cultist.

UnRiggable
11-09-2006, 22:36
Either Farside or Schaeffer

Kegluneq
11-09-2006, 22:39
Aun'shi. I used to use him all the time, but then they had to scrap him *grumble grumble*
Me too. I could kind of see why having a Tau character preternaturally good with weapons (as opposed to just very good, like O'Shovah) was out of place, but he really was rather cool. I daresay that the new Honour Guard rules would have made him too good though - imagine 10 pinning S5 shots followed by an assault with one of the best combatants in the game, who could negate a large number of enemy attacks or wound severely with his own... Technically speaking they had to get rid of him, as he was a relic of the First Stage expansion, and the new Ethereal models are quite snazzy, but meh.

Has to be Cypher. He's so intricately tied to the overall fate of the entire 40k universe. Or is he? Fluff-wise he's the ultimate #$%@tease, simultaneously the best and worst part of his character.
That guy needs his own novel, even a graphic one, just to tell more about his story. Ultimate wandering enigmatic badass, really.

Steel_Legion
11-09-2006, 22:50
Yarrick for me, hes a beast for a guardsmen! Gotta love him really dont ya?

SocketWrench
11-09-2006, 23:00
Master Librarian Ezekiel of the Dark Angels is just too cool of a model not to mention.

bnf
11-09-2006, 23:10
Kharn the Betrayer.
Gotta love a lunatic butcher who chops away his own men if they get too close.

Hicks
11-09-2006, 23:31
Vlad Von Carstein, but since he isn't in the Warhammer 40,000 universe...

Either Lord Solar Macharius for his sheer importance in the fluff and kick **** model or Yarrick, because he's in the Armageddon Steel Legion and has a great model.

Ravik
11-09-2006, 23:43
Fabius Bile has some cool background as well as a really nice model. Though Saint Celestine is my favourite - entirely because of the drawing of her in the Witch Hunters book.

mooserehab86
11-09-2006, 23:44
Hoooray for Vlad von Carstein! Definitely my favorite fantasy character.

I thought of another one for 40k though - The Red Terror. How can you not like something that swallows terminators whole?

Captain Optimus Metallus
11-09-2006, 23:57
I LOVE the Macharius model!

Anyway, to bad there wasn't a poll, as I'd like to see which character would come out on top. Maybe a poll thread for every race? Then take the figures with the most votes from all the threads and stick them in a single poll? Eh, who cares.

Anyway, I vote for Marneus Calgar in Terminator Armour. What a fantastic *******' model. To bad the power armour version is preferable rules-wise (better Invulnerable Save and can Sweeping Advance). Still, once I get him painted up, you can count on me using Marneus in his terminator armour as often as I use him in his power armour.

Other favorites of mine include...

Captain Kayvaan Shrike
Commander Dante
Chief Librarian Mephiston
Lord Commander Solar Macharius
Commissar Yarrick
Sly Marbo
Colonel Schaeffer
Saint Celestine
Eldrad Ulthran
Karandras
Fuegan
Aun'Va
Shadowsun
Ghazghkull Thraka
Nazdreg Ug Urdgrub
Abaddon the Despoiler
Ahriman of the Thousand Sons
Cypher
Lelith Hesperax
Drazar, Master of the Blades
The Nightbringer

Rpait
12-09-2006, 00:08
YARRICK

Awesome Model

Awesome Character

Awesome Rules.

Second place goes to Lord Solar Macharius

tuebor
12-09-2006, 00:15
No one likes Anghkor Prok? True, he's not a combat machine by any standards, but his Inspirational Presence rule is nice. As is his cheap cost. Best of all, he's Kroot.

Seerluminatti
12-09-2006, 00:20
For CC, its definitely Asurmen, hands down. He's one of the most durable CC models in existence and will laugh in defensive defiance as a greater demon fails to wound him for multiple rounds.

For Sheer leadership, theres no one to turn to other than Eldrar Ulthran. Who else can protect two vital squads with the ever important Fortune power while directing heavy weapons fire to its target from 6 separate WarWalker weapons? Better still, who can remove two uber skilled special characters with focussed mental blasts while annihilating a squad of cannon fodder with an explosive expulsion of Eldritch energy.

But for story purposes I adore using Fuegan... The Story of his final demise is one for the ages (before, naturally, as the world will end with him)

Tooooon
12-09-2006, 00:21
Cypher like always for anything involving cool unique characters or fave models ;)

~Dave

Chainsworded Codpiece
12-09-2006, 01:42
Another vote for Fabius Bile.

Also, that Capt. Cortez (sp?) of the Crimson Fists.

Also, Captain Alvaro of the 5th Co. Howling Griffins, and his brethren asskickers, as modeled by that John Cadice fella in US WD#303.

Damned near any old 1st-early 2nd Ed. Ork warband from Freebooterz. Particularly the Flash Gits Ork Pirates Mob led by Kaptin Badrukk...

Multicolored Pirate Awesomeness galore, and add-on gunz that make the "Laser-Dazer-Bobazer-Banafanafofazer" frpm Star Munchkin look TAME.

abomination
12-09-2006, 03:18
I've always liked the appearance and presence of Commander Dante and the maniacal killing machine that is Kharn the Betrayer. But... I'm going to have to go with Moriar the Chosen here as he's actually worth his points.

Nabeshin1106
12-09-2006, 03:46
No one likes Anghkor Prok? True, he's not a combat machine by any standards, but his Inspirational Presence rule is nice. As is his cheap cost. Best of all, he's Kroot.

Oh, damn, I forgot about him! I love his model, way better than the standard shaper. Yup, he's one of my favorites too.

GrimZAG
12-09-2006, 03:57
If i could, i would say TrOgDoR tHe BuRiNiNaToR!!!, but i can't so i would say Lucius the Eternal, purely because of his fluff, c'mon he never dies... ever and he takes over the bodies of the people he kills, that's some serious possession there.

Glennie
12-09-2006, 09:48
Ghazghkull and his good friend Yarrick

qualinwraith
12-09-2006, 09:51
Marshall Helbrecht, Black Templars

Griffin
12-09-2006, 10:27
Ezykyle Abaddon the Despoiler, Warmaster of the Black Legion. Cool Model, Cool Character, Cool Sword. Nuff said.

Atherakhia
12-09-2006, 10:36
Cypher, Fallen One-Zero-Zero
Great model, great background, great mystery

AventineCrusader
12-09-2006, 10:48
Straight-up, Sly Marbo.
Come on, you get to field Stallone...

Crusader

FallenAngel_864
12-09-2006, 10:58
Mephiston.

- natural WS6
- natural T5
- enemies must pass a LD test, or fight in h2h wt WS1 (ouch)
- fair point value (217).
- one of the few Blood Angels to "return" from the black rage
- has singlehandedly bested a Bloodthirster in his fluff lines (broke its back over his knee, AWESOME!)

Wolflord Havoc
12-09-2006, 10:59
Ragnar Blackmane - Hard Drinking , Hard fighting Space Norse nutter - what more could you ask for!

lapis_lazuli
12-09-2006, 11:24
Cypher, Farsight and Macharius for fluff goodness. Al'Rahem for the unusual model.

Reflex
12-09-2006, 11:54
my favriout character, who is the worst charater that is the most exspensive.. (the emperors champion... aah hahaha i am funny).

Overlord Krycis
12-09-2006, 12:00
Mephiston.

- natural WS6
- natural T5
- enemies must pass a LD test, or fight in h2h wt WS1 (ouch)
- fair point value (217).
- one of the few Blood Angels to "return" from the black rage
- has singlehandedly bested a Bloodthirster in his fluff lines (broke its back over his knee, AWESOME!)

Eh...? Wasn't that Sanguinus? Anyhoo...

For me it would have to be Commander Farsight (Like the model, LOVE the fluff...come-on, whats better than being the only anarchist amongst a bunch of conformists...:D ) and Aun'shi...shame they got rid of him...:cries:

AmKhaibitu
12-09-2006, 12:04
Lucius the Eternal for sure, especially based on the sketch of him in Liber Slaanesh and not the model.

Cosmic_Girl
12-09-2006, 14:46
Hello,

Kharn. Amazing model, great rules and fits his army perfectly.

C-girl.

shveen
12-09-2006, 17:43
It has to be The Lord of Death himself, Mephiston. He is just sooooo cool with all the black rage and all that rubbish

shveen

bob syko
12-09-2006, 17:45
Mines got to be Tycho, he's dead now:cries: but I still love the guy, not the hardest(by far) but there was just something about him I liked.

VetSgtNamaan
12-09-2006, 20:32
Well considering my username I guess it is obvious who i think is cool.

GodofWarTx
12-09-2006, 21:54
Moriar the Chosen. A dreadnaught with an unquenchable aggression and need for righteous slaughter.

norwegianpuma
12-09-2006, 22:21
Duh! In model Coolness, it's a tie: Stern
and Ezekiel!

In fluff: Cypher!
Seriously, the guy runs around with the Emperor's own sword!

Witch Hunter
12-09-2006, 22:30
Count me in for Cypher, as far as the background and storyline, with Mephiston a close second.

Modelwise? Tough one, but I really like St Celestine, Anghkor Prok, and Bile.

Sekhmet
12-09-2006, 22:59
Duh! In model Coolness, it's a tie: Stern
and Ezekiel!

In fluff: Cypher!
Seriously, the guy runs around with the Emperor's own sword!

If by Emperor you mean The Lion, you'd be correct...

I like the Deceiver and St. Celestine... probably why I combined them into a single model for my army.

A 3rd place would be Mephiston. I believe he's like... one of two people to recover from the black rage. The other is Ashook from the Flesh Tearers I believe. It seems like only Librarians can overcome it.

Atherakhia
13-09-2006, 09:49
Modelwise, I like St Celestine and also Abaddon The Despoiler

leonmallett
13-09-2006, 10:12
I have always loved Maugan Ra.

My 150th post. Woo.

Corai
13-09-2006, 12:49
Well, Cypher goes without saying,

but I can't believe nobody's mentioned Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt! Has to be the most fleshed out special character in the game! And nothing beats shouting 'do you want to live forever' whilst assualting with your entirely metal, light infantry guard army.

Carousel
13-09-2006, 16:56
Cypher - so enigmatic. I mean, what is he actually up to?

Mephiston - truly incredible model. All ornate and detailed, I love old SM character models.

Yarrik just for sheer tenaciousness and grit.

Ghazgkull Thrakka!! First SC I bought, who doesn't love a MASSIVE ork?

Goq Gar
13-09-2006, 16:59
Mad doc grotsnik

Special rule - Mad!

XD

Warp-Rider
13-09-2006, 17:01
Nazdreg, I just love the rules, and its an ork.

Justicar Jacob
13-09-2006, 17:30
This is a freaking tough question. in order from most favorite down;

Lucius: awesome EC captain with amazing martial skill.
Dante: he's just a cool, Blood Angel
Azreal:same, but a dark angel.
Ezekiel: Look at that model!
Typhus: one bad ass dude, of nurgle.
Mephistion:a ******* vampire blood angel who has psker powers, and has beaten the cure (for the most part).
Nazdreg: Boss of my favorite orks: the bad moons.

BrainFireBob
13-09-2006, 19:49
Model-wise: Kahadras or Baharroth.

Elsewise, I'm quite fond of Abaddon, actually. He's tough the way a character should be.

insectum7
13-09-2006, 21:01
I like the C'tan, the Nightbringer especialy, whos endless slaughter has imprinted his image into many species' racial memory for all time. Thats pretty hardcore. He/It CAN break a Bloodthirster over his knee without breaking a sweat, but is remakably bad in an actual game, (wheras the Bloodthirster is worth every point). I think that's interesting. The deceiver has alot of very cool and interesting backstory as well. I wish there was more necron fluff in general, I love those guys.

Typhus, for singlehandedly making the Death-Guard who othey are today. He's also a beast on the tabletop.

stjohn70
13-09-2006, 21:09
<======Lysander======

Havoc
13-09-2006, 23:14
Abadddon is my favourite model, it's his fluff that really makes him my choice of special charecter, it's the fact he has proved himself to be greater than his primarch and has the power and resources to crush anything...except GW rigging results.

My other favourite charecter was Captain Invictus of the Ultramarine 1st companie, I have the original Ultramarine codex and his fluff is one of my personnel favourites, shame they changed his name though, really didn't see the point of it.

luchog
13-09-2006, 23:16
For play (even though I don't really use special characters) it would be Eldrad Ulthran, with Jain Zar second.

For the models, definitely Lelith Hesperax and Saint Celestine.

Death Whisper
13-09-2006, 23:19
Commissar Yarrick. Laser eye, force field, Iron Will (back in the day), gigantic claw-arm and two guns. He's pretty pwnsauce.

Warlord Kyle
14-09-2006, 03:22
Drazhar, Master of Blades hands down

Hand of Death
14-09-2006, 03:30
I'll have to go with Cypher. He has awesome fluff. Second would be kharn though.