PDA

View Full Version : Look of Imperial ship interiors?

Chaos Lord Primus
11-09-2006, 19:22
Wow, I'm posting a lot of stuff on Background lately...

Anywho.

I've been toying with the idea of making a gamin table out of the launch bay of an Imperial carrier (or maybe a giant ground hangar, whichever), and I was wondering if anybody could point me towards some nice refernce material?

Also, if the goes in P&T, my bad, but I thought this was more of a background question.

Zephro
11-09-2006, 19:23
The Battlefleet Gothic Rulebook? Or any of the BFG books I guess.

Chaos Lord Primus
11-09-2006, 19:27
I have the BFG rulebooks (great game btw), but they were all wide shots of crowded interiors or exterior shots.

Zephro
11-09-2006, 19:37
Hmmm well the only other thing I remember with many pictures of bomber and planes were epic rulebooks. I don't remember any of the 40K books really having pictures of that kind of thing.

Shibboleth
11-09-2006, 19:44
Here's a 15 page article on how to build some Space Hulk terrain:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer40000/space-hulk/1/

It doesn't have any big interior hangar sized rooms though. :eyebrows:

Shibboleth
11-09-2006, 19:55
It's not an 'official reference' but this guy has some good 40K ship interior scenery:
http://www.ironhands.com/industry.htm

Mainly the Bulkhead 1 & 2 links.

Zephro
11-09-2006, 20:01
I dunno, didn't you always imagine the inside of imperial ships to kind of look like the inside of Gothic cathedrals?

Kage2020
11-09-2006, 20:55
Fire Warrior also counts as a canonical reference to the interior of Imperial starships, although the specific dictates of the FPS environment might bring people to question the specifics of it.

As for other references? At the moment nothing really springs to mind. You're just going to have to trawl the literature looking for the odd bit of reference. As above, look towards the BFG material first and foremost, but any interiors (etc.) are going to give you an idea of the Imperial aesthetic, erm, ethic. ;)

I've personally felt that BL would have some great traction if they released a semi-decent "Starship Guide" including a "blueprints" approach, ala the Star Trek "Enterprise-D" ones that were produced a while back. Well, at least I would love to see it, since I eat that kind of material up for some reason. Must be the quantifier/gear head in me. ;)

As to inspiration? For the specifics, Zephro has a point. If you want a visual image, I would also couple it with some of visuals in Lynch's Dune. With that said, Imperial ships are functional - I would imagine so, though some argue the fact - and as such checking out some of the images and design plans of modern (large) shipping might also do you some good. in fact, now that I've said it I thikn that it would be a darned good place to start.

(Incidentally, that modelling stuff was excellent! I loved it.)

Kage

Sojourner
11-09-2006, 20:57
I'd take Star Trek: Enterprise or Battlestar Galactica (the new one) as a reference, lots of functional exposed beams in solid steel. Probably be a bit darker and clunkier in Imperial style, though.

Stahlgeist
11-09-2006, 20:58
I'd suggest Google Image Search for two things:

1) Modern Carrier Flight Decks

2) Gothic Cathedrals

Mix liberally, and viola.

Daemon king Mad Dog
11-09-2006, 20:59
40k rulebook, check the kill-team rules, theres a board for the interior of a ship, the kill-team is trying to take out the warp drives. if it is terrain your after

Zephro
11-09-2006, 21:09
I dunno all the spires sticking out of the damn things don't look very functional to me. Plus it seems a bit unoriginal to just have vaguely believable future tech like Battlestar or something. It's 40K! It's mean to be ships several miles long full of servitors, astropaths and weird stuff.

Ok how about cloisters and vestrys and things. Small functional rooms on the sides of large gothic spaces. Plus alot of monastries and cathedrals manage to incorporate gothic with functional. I'd imagine the hanger bays to have large gothic arches and ceilings, all be it made out of metal and so on. Obviously it'd still require a certain amount of tech like fuelling stations and stuff.

Stahlgeist
12-09-2006, 19:37
I dunno all the spires sticking out of the damn things don't look very functional to me.

Functional? FUNCTIONAL!?!?!?!

How dare you, Carnelian? The spires are there because the Omnissiah DEMANDS them to be there! :chrome:

Kegluneq
12-09-2006, 19:52
The interiors of Victorian factories would be a good reference point as well - the more brick and rusted iron the better (well, iron cladding instead of brick, but you know what I mean). You're basically looking at vast, filthy space faring workhouses. Odds are, the sleek interiors of modern vessels and from shows like Star Trek and BSG are the sole preserve of the Tau in 40k.

Cutaway illustrations would be cool, but the scale of 40k ships kind of prohibits it - it'd take a very dedicated artist to pencil in 10,000 crew just for starters...

Axel
12-09-2006, 20:03
While it is certainly not any earnest reference, you get a nice view into the interior of imperial spaceships in the game "Fire Warrior". These, at least are cathedral-like.

Voronwe[MQ]
27-09-2006, 19:13
Functional? FUNCTIONAL!?!?!?!

How dare you, Carnelian? The spires are there because the Omnissiah DEMANDS them to be there! :chrome:

Indeed they are! How can such heresy pass without major suffering:chrome:

Kandarin
27-09-2006, 20:05
Depends what part of the ship you're looking at.

In officers' quarters, you'd probably see the 'stereotypical' sci-fi sleek, luxurious, well-lit interiors, if not downright ornate- after all, it's not unknown for Imperial Admirals to even have harems onboard.

In hangar bays, Ecclesiarchy chapels, and AdMech facilities, you'd see the sort of 'Gothic cathedral' that is so common in the Imperium. These sections are of special importance and have the space anyway.

In gunnery, crew quarters, and pretty much anything that's not the above (the 'bowels' of the ship) I think that it would give way to a grimy Industrial Age hell. Blasts of steam, oil and soot everywhere, giant furnaces, *******' huge chains stretching off into the distance, etc. No safety considerations whatsoever and it'd not be uncommon for a ship to lose a four-digit number of crew to easily preventable accidents on every voyage.

wascloud
27-09-2006, 20:20
flying buttresses plus 'huge ******* chains' s basically my interpretation of anything imperial:D :chrome:

Stahlgeist
28-09-2006, 00:31
And rivets! Rows and rows of them!

LordXaras
28-09-2006, 16:49
I was always under the impression that an Imperial vessel design would become more and more archaic as the knowledge of how to reproduce various systems were lost. The most ancient vessels in the Imperium would mostly be automated, the interior would be clean, metallic and functional (Battlestar Galactica-style, as suggested). As vessels like these are copied, many systems will be impossible to replace, leading to the Mechanicus having to use the standard architecture (Cities of Death, gothic cathedrals) and increased amounts of servitors and manual labour to replace stuff.

I believe it is for this reason Chaos vessels can operate under the guidance of a single consciousness (Daemonic infestation) - everything from torpedo loaders to sensor arrays are controlled by machines linked to computers that can be infested. The counterparts of these systems in Imperial ships often have people pulling chains instead. Standard Imperial ships are as portrayed in the BFG rulebook, with hundreds of people slaving to bring a torpedo to its firing position, and tens of thousands of slaves in total. From a certain point of veiw, this might be seen as a necessary precaution... if a ship is run from a single control-cogitator, a single daemon is all it takes for things to go horribly wrong.

Voronwe[MQ]
30-09-2006, 17:04
Internal buttresses, (one shipyard maybe makes 'em with triangular outcuts just before they steply rises into the wall, or putting 'em densely enough to create niches, or 'lining' them with oiled, polished wood, or...) I think is commonplace design;)

In Legacy, there was a chartered passenger/transport ship, the Gann-Luctis, where a passenger corridor had wall-lamps with gilded, hand-long spikes arround them in a manner to resemble sun beams.

Lord of ???
01-10-2006, 12:06
Depends what Kind of ship you want.

For anything thats just like a Warship or a Transport i would just take any current interior of a Warship, change the architechture to be of the Gothic school (Eg Arched Doorways, note you can have the same square bulkhead segment just the cut out is an arch, plausibly vaulted cielings etc)

Then simply add in powercables and exposed piping along the cieling line.

Also small shrines/icons here and there won't go astray.

CoG-Aragorn
02-10-2006, 19:23
Hm. Though I think armoured cables, pipes, vents, cable bunches and the like in the roof shall be common (or at least with roof-plates lying off-screwed on floor to look like maintenance work is going on)

Kage2020
02-10-2006, 19:30
You can also check out the self-portraits in Inquis Exterminatus as an example of how they feel that you can rapidly "40k-ify" a given 'thing'. As many people have said, just throw in gargoyles, pipes everything, blah blah blah... ;)

Kage

Lord of ???
03-10-2006, 09:08
Exposed piping which isn't hidden away makes things seem more rundown and decrepit

perfect for the imagery of 40k

Griefbringer
03-10-2006, 12:48
You could also draw some inspiration from Necromunda imagery - after all, an Imperial warship has some distant likeness to a hive spire travelling through space!

And remember that the ships can be truely ancient, several millennia old - and during these long years there have been new parts added to replace ones damaged or lost in battle, so inside a single ship a strange mix and match of older and newer parts could be found side by side.

Also, the inhabitants of the ship themselves might try to do all sorts of minor improvements - like carving a few extra gargoyles to the walls to make it feel more homely, or a preacher having a pulpit build on top of a column so he can come and preach to the crew without them needing to depart from their stations.

Voronwe[MQ]
03-10-2006, 19:20
That preacher idea sounds appealing... 'Labour is prayer' is a major Adeptus Ministorum dogma;) After all, much better if they continues to toll whilst muttering hymns rather than sitting still in a bench singing.

Colonel Trelawney
03-10-2006, 21:08
Ive got a small imperial air strip (well 8ft by 6ft) that me n a few mates built. we used Hoth from Star Wars as a good reference, as well as the new BSG. Id stay away from looking at carrier flight decks, as theyre quite flat n spartan, and they didnt help us much. unless you want flat expances of land. We tried looking for some pictures of the lower maintenance bays that are more like the decks on the Galactica, but we didnt have much luck, military security i guess. I think the busy cluttered mess of Hoth mixed with the organisation and sparce walls of the Galactica mixed together with Imperial gothic decay makes an awesome visual style that is awesome for gaming on

Wolflord Havoc
04-10-2006, 09:53
My personnel take on this would be to look at a 'functional' ww2 battle ship or carrier interior for the most part and add on some more ornate 'gothic' locations for the chapels (of various types), bridge, astropath choir, officers quarters, navigators.

Basically I could imagine dozens of crewmen who man a single turret for example live in a small cramped 'mess' and are required to hot bunk (i.e. 2 men share a bunk with 1 sleeping while the other is on duty) etc while the ships Navigator (s) might have an ornate 'pent house' with a small staff and a private chapel, Sauna and games room.

Voronwe[MQ]
04-10-2006, 10:20
My personnel take on this would be to look at a 'functional' ww2 battle ship or carrier interior for the most part and add on some more ornate 'gothic' locations for the chapels (of various types), bridge, astropath choir, officers quarters, navigators.

Basically I could imagine dozens of crewmen who man a single turret for example live in a small cramped 'mess' and are required to hot bunk (i.e. 2 men share a bunk with 1 sleeping while the other is on duty) etc while the ships Navigator (s) might have an ornate 'pent house' with a small staff and a private chapel, Sauna and games room.

Very interesting ideas, especially of the gun-crew habitat compartment. Navigators... I just like them. They seems to be robust in their look, unlike astropathicae psykers. For extremely good ideas for astropaths quarter terrain (as well as loading bays, docking sockets etc.) see Blind.

USABOB
05-10-2006, 11:38
All these ideas are pretty reasonable, but a look at the picture on page 147 of the main Battlefleet gothic rulebook explains that the sky is the limit as far as what spaceship interiors look like. For those that don't have one, it has typical looking gothic ground structures built below a couple of giant reactors (Pretty much a small city in a giant room).

Commander Ozae
05-10-2006, 16:03
Think a giant gothic cathedral in space with enough places in it to act like a mini city on its own.

Voronwe[MQ]
06-10-2006, 15:53
And with gun ports and bays.

LostTemplar
06-10-2006, 17:30
The Blackstone Fortresses are described, or at least a particular one, as having (before their activation) white insides. i assuem this means clean, white insides, the text seems to point at this fact.

Reference: BFG rulebook.

I would assume all Imperial ships would probably be built similarly, though various designs (one more BFG) seem to point at a mixture of simple, efficient, to cathedral-like.

My take?

Wherever the lowly grunts can go thats not the engine/weapon rooms, its all clean, smooth and simple, to facilitate operations. engine/loading bays/weapon bays and ports are probably dirtier, but always kept as clean as possible.

Officer's commands would be gothic-cathedral like with all the unnecessary details.

Partisan Rimmo
06-10-2006, 18:13
Im gonna be slightly unusual here and say it can look like anything. I mean, don't get me wrong, I play and love BFG, but it's a BIG galaxy. Ships from the Gothic Sector may look, well, gothic, but that's a tiny fraction of space. In a similar vein to how many of the newer ships released by Fanatic are from different battlezones, to create different atmospheres. Personally, ships from my fleet have smooth white marble architecture, like classic greek. That's only the officer levels anyway. The rest of the ships is simple metal pannel, with harsh blue neon lights.

lapis_lazuli
06-10-2006, 21:14
I agree. Ships from Kar Duniash, for example, might feature more Middle Eastern architecture from various periods (although based on the name alone I'd expect mid-second millennium BC Babylonian).