PDA

View Full Version : Swordsman or Halberdiers?

BloodHawk
11-09-2006, 20:35
I am just curious on your guys oppinion. Would you rather include a unit of Empire Swordsman or Halberdeirs? I am in the process of choosing which one to build and am curious what you think?

Adlan
11-09-2006, 20:47
Under the current rules? swordsmen all the way.

hopefully halbards will be recosted or swordsmen toned down next armybook.

Gregourious
12-09-2006, 00:41
It must be swordsmen with the higher WS and higher save they far outstrip the strength four helberdier.

The Thnikkaman
12-09-2006, 04:58
Swordsmen for the parent unit, halberdiers for the detachment is generally the best way to go. Swordsmen have the save and the weaponskill to be defensive, whereas the halberdiers may even kill something, cancel the rank and hopefully win the combat.

Kedlav
12-09-2006, 05:13
Swordsmen tend to be my mainstay units, with Halberdier detachments. The S4 detachment compensates for the weakness of swordsmen(low S), just as Free Companies best offset greatswords(more attacks to pop larger units).

Crazy Harborc
12-09-2006, 19:01
IMHO, the swordsman's I-4 is very important after round one of HtH. Intuition of four is going to come in handy in a draw result, followup round of HtH.

I don't use halberds as detachments due to a lack of a shield upgrade for detachments. I do use them (once in awhile) as parent units with added shields for incoming shooting svaes.

truthsayer
12-09-2006, 19:43
I think they should have made halberds give a +1 to the armour save in combat due to the whole staff thing. It wouldnt be that powerful in the hands of an empire halberdier but give him the extra pip of save which he needs. There arent that many troop types that can use em so they wouldnt be overpowered too.

And that would fix the black/phoenix guard problem too.

bigbauske
12-09-2006, 20:41
I agree with all the post to date. The swordman is the way to go, However I like a det of free company. Just works better with my style of play. But like mentioned, if Halberds get some pop, I would look at them again.