PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Armour

wibble
11-09-2006, 22:21
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it concerns rules and models.

Tau pathfinders have the same armour save as regular fire warriors, but far less armour on the models. They have no armour on their legs and are missing the rather large shoudler pad. Is there any reason for this other than the preference of the modellers? I mean, is the XL helmet supposed to compensate? :confused:

Kamin_Majere
11-09-2006, 22:24
nope no reason, except for the models look better/how they are modeled

Same way catachans have a 5+ armor save in tanktops where as Cadians have a 5+ save with actual armor

wibble
11-09-2006, 22:27
fair enough - just thought i'd check. I'm considering starting a tau army and was quite taken with the converted fire warriors to pathfinders on the uk gw website - i just personally feel it gives more continuity. Anyway, thanks

UnRiggable
11-09-2006, 22:35
Or how a Crisis suit has less armor than terminator armor.

Kegluneq
11-09-2006, 22:42
Crisis suits are built to be light and agile, something Broadsides and Terminators certainly are not... Their save is prety much spot on, really.

Pathfinders presumably get less armour because they're supposed to be a quick moving mobile assault team. It would make a lot more sense if they were stealthed as well, but maybe that would be too cheesy...

Shaper Shakra
11-09-2006, 22:46
He's saying that they aren't less armoured. That's why he was confused by the models.

Steel_Legion
11-09-2006, 22:49
nope no reason, except for the models look better/how they are modeled

Same way catachans have a 5+ armor save in tanktops where as Cadians have a 5+ save with actual armor

One of the docrtines, jungle troops or something, states they replace there heavy flak armour with a simple flak vest, but get 6+ got 5+, i think pathfiner armour should be reduced while on the subject, but 5+ is a little flimsay, so best keep 4+ i say, means they wont have to bring out more FAQs etc

kanluwen
11-09-2006, 23:23
Could just be a heavier weave fabric. Like the way Nomex/Kevlar weaves are used now by the DEA as a fireproofed fabric.

Just a bit of real world in this madness :)

Bregalad
12-09-2006, 00:27
Pathfinders are slightly less armoured. Count it as an armour save of 4.3 , rounded to 4+ ;)

wibble
12-09-2006, 19:31
Cheers. If i do start a tau army i think i may convert some pathfinders from the plastic fire warriors - just give them camo cloaks or something.

imrhati
12-09-2006, 19:38
pathfinders with cloaks look really good, i made a test model alst night and i loved it.

Warjammer
12-09-2006, 20:42
Remember not everything on the model needs to have an effect. For example the Vespid minis have a variety of equipment subtly sculted on the model but have no function. Some of the Stingwings have what appears to be a sight for the gun while others do not. Also the Strain Leader has a larger Neutron Blaster yet has no additional effect.

And of course no one can forget that the Fire Warriors have a sight on their gun and they cannot apparently use it since they have thier eye on the other side. Maybe that is why, since they supposedly fire weapons since birth they mostly have BS of 3;).

They just sculptled them that way so that you could tell them appart.