PDA

View Full Version : Fundimental of the game: the dice

Minister
11-09-2006, 22:24
An opinion, if you will.

Were there to be a complete re-design of the game, in the same manner as 2nd - 3rd edition 40K or Space Marine/Titanicus - Epic 40000 - Epic: Armageddon, would you still be wanting the ol' D6, or would other polyhedrons strike your fancy?

Chaplin Loki
11-09-2006, 22:33
Having to have every kind of dice under the sun like in second edition was a huge pain in the ****. I like that my d6 all fit nicely into my dice cube and that I don't have to fumble around looking for a D10 or D20.

UnRiggable
11-09-2006, 22:34
Agree, even though I started in '03, I know a D(X where X does not equal 6) is hard to find.

Kamin_Majere
11-09-2006, 22:35
I'd love the game to be d10 or even d20 based and have a larger varity of stats to truely show diffrences between things. But then again i love dice so i'm happy anyway.:p

McMullet
11-09-2006, 22:38
Given that we mostly use the 3, 4 and 5 of the D6, using D8/10/12/20s would be pretty silly. I loved 2nd ed., and if they went back to that style then it might be OK. But 40K is a simple game, and the humble D6 covers it perfectly well.

Baneboss
11-09-2006, 22:45
Just D6. I wouldnt like to search for that exact dice and thus losing time and getting frustrated.

Steel_Legion
11-09-2006, 22:47
D6 mostly, but the odd D10 for kicks, or what not, but mostly D6 without a doubt

AtlantianWarrior
11-09-2006, 23:11
I am new to 40K. I think rolling all the d6's some times is a little silly but hay I enjoy the game. I did play another game and the only dice you needed was a d20. If you wanted to speed up a game you would roll at the max 3d20.

Helicon_One
11-09-2006, 23:14
D10 has potential (and makes MathsHammer easier!), but there's not much wrong with the D6.

Tim

legoburner
11-09-2006, 23:21
I used a D6 for both Dark Millennium and Toe-to-TOW. Hexadecimal is as good as anything for randomization.

I know this is a pointless reply, and no offense is meant, but the nerdy programmer in me needs to point out that hexadecimal is base 16 (D16) whereas a D6 would be Senary (D3 is trinary, D20 vigesimal). Cue 'the more you know' jingle :)

susu.exp
11-09-2006, 23:22
It doesn´t make mathhammer easier. The complicated bit about it isn´t simple probability, but calculation of binomal coefficients. Which doesn´t get easier by changing dice. Just to be different I opt for the D2 or coin-toss option...

marv335
11-09-2006, 23:44
i voted D10. it would make for more variety and allow more of a skills variation between races.

Ozendorph
12-09-2006, 00:18
D10 makes me think of the metric system, which in turn makes me think of communism. The Emperor frowns on communism. It's always been two barrels to a hogs head, and that's the way it's always going to be.

brynolf
12-09-2006, 00:26
metric system (...) communism.

Now that's an association you don't hear every day...

Ozendorph
12-09-2006, 00:33
I associate a lot of things with communism. Fuzzy hats, clear liquors, and Esperanto, just to name a few. ;)

Nehcrum
12-09-2006, 00:35
Now that's an association you don't hear every day...
Definetly not.
The metric system is far superior to the imperial system.
Only americans and british still cling to it...

I like the D10 option, simply because you could make the differences between races larger without shifting power that much.
As it is now, a stat of 3 should be the normal (it is in WHFB) a stat of 4 really good and 5 is superhero level.

Which means that currently, everyone is either 3 (bad) or 4 (good) with a few (mostly ICs) having 5. Anything other than that are variour forms of monsters.

With a D10 system you can make stat differences that makes them better doesn't seriously tilt it with just a single points difference (compare a space marine to a guardsman, marine got +1 to their stats and they are extremely superior compared to a guardsman).

Nehcrum
12-09-2006, 00:35
I associate a lot of things with communism. Fuzzy hats, clear liquors, and Esperanto, just to name a few. ;)
Heathen...
Edit: Vodka and light rum are the only proper forms of strong alcohol.

Ozendorph
12-09-2006, 00:36
Consider yourself watchlisted, comrade ;)

AaronS
12-09-2006, 01:10
I voted for keeping the d6. Even though I don't play that much, (I prefer modelling/painting) nothing says "I live in my mom's basement and eat Cheetos all day" like a bunch of d20's...

n00bLord
12-09-2006, 02:00
I say a system where to hit was based on a d100 for percentile. Wounding can be done on D6 still or percentile on the d100. While keeping the LD and all that with the d6s

red_drake
12-09-2006, 03:56
100 for percentile? you mean like inquisitor??

i prefer sticking to the good old d6 myself no need o change a good(well, mostly good, anyway.) thing.

Nehcrum
12-09-2006, 04:44
I say a system where to hit was based on a d100 for percentile. Wounding can be done on D6 still or percentile on the d100. While keeping the LD and all that with the d6s
Problem with a D100 is that there are no 100-sided dices. You roll two D10 and use one for the first digit and the other for the second digit (and two "0"s means 100).
That will make it very troublesome when multiple shots are fired, since instead of rolling 20 dices (10 people rapid-firing) you'd have to roll 2 dices 20 times.

No, the D10 is the way to go, giving a larger range of stats, easily balanced and the current system will work flawlessly, they just have to rewrite all the codexes to update the stats (which is too much work, they will never do that, so the entire discussion is merely speculative).

The D20 would also work, 5% instead of 10%, an even larger possiblity or stat balancing and individual differences.

GrimZAG
12-09-2006, 05:20
I used to play dungeons and dragons when i was younger and i hated with a passion the "100" percentile dice, maybe because i never got anything good from it, or maybe i have unbelievable bad luck, but because of that i also dislike the d10, and am quite happy to stay with d6. Its good to have a common dice for everything in the game.

Seth the Dark
12-09-2006, 05:58
I would love to see things like d20 or d8 used in certain situations. It would make the game a little more random.

whiteshields1830
12-09-2006, 07:17
i dont even know what half of these dice are ( d20? :wtf: )...so i like it simple...purely d6 gets my vote (i dont want to fork out another $10 worth of dice)

sulla
12-09-2006, 08:04
An opinion, if you will.

Were there to be a complete re-design of the game, in the same manner as 2nd - 3rd edition 40K or Space Marine/Titanicus - Epic 40000 - Epic: Armageddon, would you still be wanting the ol' D6, or would other polyhedrons strike your fancy?

I voted d6 for expediency. i've never been unable to find a few d6 lying aroung to play a game when I've forgotten my dice. I can't say the same about the other more rare die.

GodofWarTx
12-09-2006, 08:32
i would prefer something like a D10 system.

Rather than having ballistic and weapon skills ranging from 2-5, you can further seperate the slight differences in armies.

Orks would no longer just be as strong as a man, but stronger than one but weaker still than a marine. Tau would have a slightly different Ballistic Skill than Guard. A Captain would have a different balistic skill than a chapter Master, and perhaps even Sargeants and squad leaders would have different values than the rest of their squad, adding a slight amount of complexity in terms of gameplay, but adding only the inconvience of a few different colored dice rolled with a squad.

devolutionary
12-09-2006, 08:41
Base 10 feels natural to me, so D10s here. They're not as hard to read or calculate on the fly as other numbers can be either.

chickenuggets
12-09-2006, 08:50
if it changed to a d10 system then we would have to buy tons more dice, and im poor. its much easier to roam the house and steal yatzzee dice than fork out $ for super dice. but one or 2 of them qould add an extra zing to the game, like for multi choice, ie 20 diffrernt options and you get one

devolutionary
12-09-2006, 08:58
I'm a WoD 1.0 roleplayer. I got D10s ;)

TomKamakazi
12-09-2006, 09:02
i dont even know what half of these dice are ( d20? :wtf: )...so i like it simple...purely d6 gets my vote (i dont want to fork out another $10 worth of dice)

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you've never played Dungeons and Dragons then :)

The dice we're talking about look like this (http://www.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=37226&)

Problem with a D100 is that there are no 100-sided dices. You roll two D10 and use one for the first digit and the other for the second digit (and two "0"s means 100).
That will make it very troublesome when multiple shots are fired, since instead of rolling 20 dices (10 people rapid-firing) you'd have to roll 2 dices 20 times.

Actually, you can get 100 sided dice (http://www.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=34955&). They're not very easy to find and I'd hate to have to buy 48 of them for when my hormagaunt squad gets the charge...

leonmallett
12-09-2006, 09:13
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you've never played Dungeons and Dragons then :)

The dice we're talking about look like this (http://www.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=37226&)

Actually, you can get 100 sided dice (http://www.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=34955&). They're not very easy to find and I'd hate to have to buy 48 of them for when my hormagaunt squad gets the charge...

Imagine how much worse it would be if you fielded the 32 strong hormie unit...

leonmallett
12-09-2006, 09:16
I voted d10. Just d10. no other dice. People would grumble initially in any changeover and then it would be accepted. I agree that it allows a bit more subtle variation than the curent stat ratings. of course the thought is then:
1. Rending becomes less effective.
2. Ld rolls may need to be looked at since based on two dice.
3. Scatter distances.
4. Fallback and so on.

I would like d10 to be used. But then I also want a move stat back in the game...

McMullet
12-09-2006, 09:20
The metric system is far superior to the imperial system.
Only americans and british still cling to it...

It's being phased out in the UK. We continue to use it for some things to make the transition more gentle, and because that extra 68 ml in your beer glass makes all the difference. ;)

Anyway...

There are three problems with that. The first is the previously mentioned issue that every "to hit" roll has to be done separately. Next, the game is slowed down because the "to hit" table would become enormous. Finally, if there is a mix od D6 and D100 you have a massive disparity in the levels of detail. One thing I do like about the current edition of 40K is that, for the most part, everything is modelled in a simple way. I'd prefer a bit more realism/complexity, but it is fairly consistent. Having 100 levels of WS but keeping 6-10 levels of S/T/Ld would just be weird.

AmKhaibitu
12-09-2006, 09:20
Personally I'd use d12's as that works quite well with our base 10 stat system for 40k, believe it or not, but d10 would also be cool.

Griffin
12-09-2006, 09:37
having some different dice is nice - Keep it like DnD I say.

worldshatterer
12-09-2006, 09:49
I'm an Exalted player, so also have d10's by the bucketload .

I voted for shifting for d10 as it would allow for a wider spread of statlines as has already been stated in this thread .

shveen
12-09-2006, 17:48
i like the current D6 thing thats going on. It's simple yet effective and from a buisness point of view I think it would make younger gamers shy away if you had 50 million different types of dice on top of what they will probably think is a doorstop for a rule book.

shveen

bob syko
12-09-2006, 18:06
I think a D6 is enough, I have loads of D8's and other oddly shaped dice lying round all over the place and it would be a major pain if I had to go round and gather them all up again, the only thing I use a D8 for now is warhammer quest because I lost all the warrior counters.

Ozendorph
12-09-2006, 19:00
I use d4s to designate the boundaries of deployment zones, because they don't roll around or accidentally get used to determine setup order. Other than that, they are good for use as caltrops.

Wallace
12-09-2006, 19:16
D6 all the way - makes life simpler.

luchog
12-09-2006, 22:05
I'm an Exalted player, so also have d10's by the bucketload .

I voted for shifting for d10 as it would allow for a wider spread of statlines as has already been stated in this thread .

I'd like to see a move to D10s for the same reasons. More granularity in the stats while retaining similar game mechanics, more variability between the races, and simplified math. I'd also like to get rid of bastardizations like the D3 as well.

The good thing about D10s is that you could not only use the same mechanics, but also add a percentile mechanic in appropriate places (say, psychic powers) without requiring multiple types of dice or departing too far from the rest of the system.

Rending wouldn't necessarily be a problem with the new system, it would simply require a new, simple mechanic, such as an additional roll similar to armour-penetration.

insectum7
12-09-2006, 22:09
D6 adequately represents the unit to unit relationships on the table top. No need for anything more fancy.

The Song of Spears
12-09-2006, 22:17
For games balance reasons, i think it is much easier to calculate odds under a single kind of die, and with the d6, the odds of rolling any given number is 1in6 so you have less deviation, than say with a d20. If you want bigger numbers, then roll more d6's the mean gets stronger and the standard deviation gets less. Improving the reliability of the odds.

Hideous Loon
12-09-2006, 22:51
Why complicate things more than you have to? D6's are easy to find, easy to stack and the game is easier when you don't have to include eight different kinds of dice to a single game.

Megalodon01
12-09-2006, 23:35
Personally I prefer the D12. The primary reasons are:

A D12 is just as common as a D(whatever) when you shop at a gaming store.
A D12 is symmetrical and rolls well, but is easy to read from a distance.
D12 gives a good-sized range for rolled results on a single die.
You can use one type of die and get results for D2, D3, D4, D6 and D12.