PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for self-imposed Marine Traits

devolutionary
25-06-2005, 01:11
Ah fluff, I loves it so, especially when it's for my own chapters. While half of it never makes sense, I do like enforcing army restrictions on myself. So I want to run through some restrictions for my loyalists now, that I've been thikning about for a whole day ;)

I've dubbed these rules as my self-imposed Marine Traits. They're all disadvantages without any benefit. I don't like using the Trait system terribly much at the moment, since it's being extensively used and so gets the whole ho-hum thing from players. Now a Codex Force without traits and stabbing itself in the back? That's a bit more unique :)

Basic rundown first;

Name: Vulkan's Brethren
Genetic Stock: Salamanders successor, 17th Founding
Colours: Black, Purple, White
Homeworld: Hollowmarch II - Mining Colony
Tactics: Codex Chapter with limitations (No Traits! woo hoo!).
Notes: Following their Salamander patrons, they favour close range fire fights, usually from Rhinos and Razorbacks. They have very few resources in terms of elite vehicles and advanced equipment, in part due to their remote location. Plasma technology, power weapons, and las weaponry are particularly shot in supply, resulting in a bolter-based force. The limitations are also imposed by their later founding, as the ability to create new technology to grant chapters is dwindling.

Army Selection (only units noted are changed);

0-1 Dreadnoughts, which must be Venerable to represent the rarity and extreme honour of this wargear in the chapter
0-1 Terminator Squad (this includes Assault Terminators)
0-1 Land Speeder Squadron
0-1 Predator Annihilator
NO Land Raiders

Wargear Restrictions;

Only Independant Characters and Command Squads may carry Power Weapons (inc L/Claws, T/Hammers, etc...). The exception is Terminators (detailed below)
Only Independant Characters may carry Plasma Pistols
Terminator Squads may not upgrade their Power Fist (or P/Weapon in the case of Sergeants) to any other Power Weapon. Terminator Assault Squads may take their options as normal
Dreadnoughts may not be armed with Twin-Linked Lascannons

No squad may be armed with a Plasma Gun, Lascannon, or Plasma Cannon
All Razorbacks must be armed with Heavy Bolters
All Predators (both Destructor and Annihilator) must have Heavy Bolter Sponsons
The explanation!
I've always been a fairly big fan of the minimalist technology approach, sicne I think Bolters are absolutely fantastic. I've wanted to reflect this in my own limitations for my force. They're something of a knight-themed force, only instead of being knights with swords, they're knights with lances. It also stops me going crazy on modelling cool conversions only to waste more points than I need to.

So I'm looking for ideas on this sort of force with self-imposed restrictions. Obviously I'm not getting anything cheaper, I'm simply hamstringing myself a little to force tactics and strategy down my throat. So yeah, beat me up all you want about how crazy I am to not be wielding any Lascannons or Plasma Guns ;)

Goblinardo
25-06-2005, 01:17
I don't see restrictions on Bikes... they truly would fit your "future knights" approach, being the closest thing to cavalry Marines have (alternatively, I remember having seen horse minis converted with cybernetic bits and Marines riding them...)

devolutionary
25-06-2005, 01:22
I don't see restrictions on Bikes... they truly would fit your "future knights" approach, being the closest thing to cavalry Marines have (alternatively, I remember having seen horse minis converted with cybernetic bits and Marines riding them...)

Well they can't carry Plasma Guns, but they sure as hell can come in droves if they want :p

I was actually thinking knights more along the same lines as the Templars are, only instead of running around with swords and pistols, they charge forward with ******* big guns and Vindicators (everyone loves siege weaponry). I will definitely have bikes though, probably attack bikes with Multi-Meltas to bulk up my anti-armour.

highmarshaldave
05-07-2005, 11:31
Quite a nifty idea, that. Is there any real reason behind the idea of "self restriction" (other than fluff), or can you just not be **** withthe chapter trates?

devolutionary
05-07-2005, 12:50
Quite a nifty idea, that. Is there any real reason behind the idea of "self restriction" (other than fluff), or can you just not be **** withthe chapter trates?

I'm a codex fan, that's the main reason :) I see too many armies taking traits purely for battle reasons, not for any storyline, not for any fluff, just to get an edge on their opponent. There's also a huge feeling of anti-codex sentiment around, and the traits are being used an excuse to not have traditional tactical markings or 10 man squads. I don't feel I need excuses, and if I restrict myself, then I am forced in to wielding tactics rather than the latest in funky wargear combos.

Of course, I'm not saying everyone is doing this, but it's still happening, and happening far too much for my liking :p

highmarshaldave
06-07-2005, 11:48
Aaah, the big guns school of though? Somewhere tham my Guard excell.

Dave out.