PDA

View Full Version : DE Noob Question: What does the Black Staff do?

weirdmaster
12-09-2006, 05:07
Sorry if this is quite the noobish question, but what the Khaine does the Black Staff do? It's entry seems pretty vague as just what the thing actually does.

Again, sorry for the question.

sulla
12-09-2006, 08:58
The level of a magic user limits how many dice he/she can use to cast a spell.The black staff allows you to ignore this limit and use any number of dice to cast the spell.

Under the current rules it was invaluable to my 2nd level sorceress as it gave her a very real chance of casting even the Black horror. However, in the next edition of the rules it may not be quite so useful (depending on how many 'casters you bring to the battle).

Sulla

weirdmaster
13-09-2006, 02:17
Okay. That's pretty clear.
But how many dice? I assume there's a kind of 'limit' to the amount of dice. I mean it's all well and good to say that a Lvl 2 Sorceress can cast a really high level spell with this thing, but I also assume that, you know, she can't use unlimited amounts of dice, like say, the entire tin of GW dice.

pox
13-09-2006, 05:37
the most dice she could use would be the dice from her being a wizard (1 or 2 depending on lvl of sorceress) and however many "pool" casting dice you wanted to use. in most cases (without magic items) thats 2 more dice. so, I would think the maximum for one spell would be 4 dice. if you had an item that gave her more power dice, or an item that gave you more pool dice, she could use those also. (a bit wierd using more then 4 dice to cast a spell, but DE sorceresses tend to do whatever they please.)

GodHead
13-09-2006, 05:43
If you used a level 4 Wizard you could use your 2 base dice plus the 4 dice of the character. It's use has been restricted by limiting wizards to using the dice they generate.

T10
13-09-2006, 06:54
Sorry if this is quite the noobish question, but what the Khaine does the Black Staff do?

The item allows the wizard to ignore the level-dependent restriction on how many dice he can use whe casting a spell. It does not grant you more power dice out of nothing, nor does it allow you to spend power dice belonging to different wizards.

In most circumstances you will find that the staff allows you to spend the wizards own dice plus the two of the dice pool (rather than just one) when the wizard wants to "max out" his casting roll.

-T10

weirdmaster
13-09-2006, 23:47
Thank you one and all for your imput. It's very much appreciated.:D