PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 30k :Horus Heresy

SOTIRIOS
12-09-2006, 08:00
Why GW does not create a new codex or a game(with miniatures not board game) focusing on Horus Heresy? As the popularity of the 30k novels prove, Horus Heresy is very inspiring to the gamers. Imagine marines in ornate armour fighting each other under the shadow of the Primarchs... What great opportunity for new great models too!!!

Hellebore
12-09-2006, 08:05
Yeah, but then everyone would demand Emperor/Horus/Primarch miniatures with accompanying stats and it would be a never ending spiral.

Imagine then all the eldar players clamouring for a Pre FALL eldar army list - it would effectively be "Spend $1000 on these funky robot armies, roll a dice, and that is how many turns it takes for you to automatically win."

The eldar prefall army was virtually untouchable, so imagine what getting a Heresy book would be leting in...

Hellebore

leonmallett
12-09-2006, 08:09
There was a WH30K game. I believe it was first ed Space Marine.

Scamshouse
12-09-2006, 09:02
"Spend $1000 on these funky robot armies, roll a dice, and that is how many turns it takes for you to automatically win."

LOL
Idiot proof rules and a huge outlay on figures, I can hear the shadowy GW illuminati rubbing there hands together now.....:evilgrin:

Seriously I'd love to see FW pick up the Heresy and give us 2 lovely IA books. One for loyalists, 1 for traitors.

SOTIRIOS
12-09-2006, 09:24

I know.It was a board game. Funny but not sth special. I am sure that the marketing of gw will not let this chance for more money slip away. It will be one of the few times that I will support its decision with all my heart :)

leonmallett
12-09-2006, 09:26
I think Scamshouse's idea could be viable. But perhaps more so after Apocalypse is release.

lomo
12-09-2006, 10:11
Well here is what the cover looks like, there is a copy at my local GW sat out the back on a shelf, my friend get excited when he see that shelf and starts telling me about how great Man 0' War was.
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/bggimages/pic12850_sized.jpg

Mojaco
12-09-2006, 11:23
It might be the next CoD. You hear reguraly how special the next expension is supposedly, so it could be this instead of the armageddon rumour.

Epicenter
12-09-2006, 11:35
I always loved that picture. The Marine in the front, noticing that Brother Bareheadius in the back there is going to look just as hardcore as him decides to play Michael Jackson and remove one of his gloves in a neverending escalation of how "Real Marines Fight Naked." All the while the Apothocary is like, "Ok, which one of these gits is gonna give up his geneseed first?"

I also love the tiny bolters.

Atherakhia
12-09-2006, 11:43
It would really appeal to the converters among us too
pre-heresy terminators? yeah I'll have me some of that!

Baneboss
12-09-2006, 12:17
Horus Heresy suplement to 4th edition would even more increase amount of SM armies. I know because i would collect one myself.

Killgore
12-09-2006, 13:21
all they really need to do is release a Blisterpack for each race with pre heresy type bits to add to current models,

eldar and orks can stay as they currently are, Imperial guard might need something easy like differnt helmets for cadians/ guns and spacemarines would be a selection of helmets, shoulder pads and torso bits!

it would be fantastic for modelers, they release a book with some scenerarios and varient army lists and modeling advice and gw could cheaply cash in on the interest surrounding the Horus Heresy.

Venkh
12-09-2006, 13:23
I always loved that picture. The Marine in the front, noticing that Brother Bareheadius in the back there is going to look just as hardcore as him decides to play Michael Jackson and remove one of his gloves in a neverending escalation of how "Real Marines Fight Naked." All the while the Apothocary is like, "Ok, which one of these gits is gonna give up his geneseed first?"

The marine in the foreground is actually based on Al Pachino in scarface.

I also love the tiny bolters.

Say hello to my little friend!

I know.It was a board game

It was not a board game, it was an expension of Adeptus Titanicus (kind of) and was similar to Epic.

Ironhand
12-09-2006, 13:43
We're more likely to see it from Forgeworld than GW proper, considering FW already makes a pre-Heresy dreadnought. I'd definitely collect a pre-Heresy marine army if they ever did, maybe one of each (Emperor and Chaos).

Atherakhia
12-09-2006, 14:17
I'd definitely do a pre-heresy Emperor's Children army

mooserehab86
12-09-2006, 14:41
I think a Horus Heresy expansion would be a lot of fun to play. I wouldn't want to use Primarchs though, because I don't think their rules would be suitable for the relatively small games that occur when using the 40k rules.

Atherakhia
12-09-2006, 15:23
all they really need to do is release a Blisterpack for each race with pre heresy type bits to add to current models,

eldar and orks can stay as they currently are, Imperial guard might need something easy like differnt helmets for cadians/ guns and spacemarines would be a selection of helmets, shoulder pads and torso bits!

it would be fantastic for modelers, they release a book with some scenerarios and varient army lists and modeling advice and gw could cheaply cash in on the interest surrounding the Horus Heresy.

That would be cool -- I could imagine games of pre-heresy Space Marines clashing. Actually, based on something that somebody said on here about Mark III Iron Armour and Mark II Crusader Armour, I was planning to convert up some Iron Armour for that Pre-heresy Emperor's Children army using space marine plastics and chaos warrior heads (obviously with the horns clipped off).

Below are pics of Mk1 Thunder Armour (which later became Scout Armour), Mk2 Crusade Armour and Mk3 Iron Armour for reference:

MK1 Thunder Armour

MK2 Crusade Armour

MK3 Iron Armour

CitizenNick
12-09-2006, 16:09

That's correct. Adeptus Ticanicus(sp?) was supposed to take place during the Heresy. Space Marine was not exactly the second edition to that, but I still believe it took place during the heresy. The Cover that was shown earlier was for one of GW's board games based on 40k.

Anyway, I've been seeing a trend with people playing pre-heresy chaos armies. There is a guy in my shop who plays pre-heresy TSons. I think it's interesting and have long thought about what units and what lists a person whould use to make a pre-heresy army. I know in RT days, Imperial guard had Land Raiders. I think in the background, IG had Land raiders until the Heresy when all available resources where shifted to Space Marines.

artificer
12-09-2006, 16:28
That would be cool -- I could imagine games of pre-heresy Space Marines clashing. Actually, based on something that somebody said on here about Mark III Iron Armour and Mark II Crusader Armour, I was planning to convert up some Iron Armour for that Pre-heresy Emperor's Children army using space marine plastics and chaos warrior heads (obviously with the horns clipped off).

If you read the book "False Gods" it appears that most of the EC were in MkIV armour at the time of the heresy.

The MkII suit is available from GW today, it's at the bottom of the page.
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=301189&orignav=301117&ParentID=255419&GameNav=301115

as are the Mk IV, MkVs, and MkVIs all in metal.

That's correct. Adeptus Ticanicus(sp?) was supposed to take place during the Heresy. Space Marine was not exactly the second edition to that, but I still believe it took place during the heresy. The Cover that was shown earlier was for one of GW's board games based on 40k.

Space Marine was the EXPANSION to Adeptus Titanicus. AT covered only the titan fights, SM added troops, tanks, etc.

Atherakhia
12-09-2006, 16:43
Ah. Fair enough -- the UK Store doesn't sell them anymore. PLUS they're still too pricey, seeing as how they're classic / archive models now. I think i'll still try to convert them.

As for the EC being in Mk4 Armour, fair enough. I'll bear that in mind

Zzarchov
12-09-2006, 20:12
If the GW rule sets can feature a C'tan, they feature a Primarch.

f2k
12-09-2006, 20:24
Wasn’t GWs stance, once upon a time, that they wouldn’t touch HH? That it was to be a mythological event – like most of the early history of the universe.

But then again, they did create the C’Tans – so perhaps…?

Eidolon
12-09-2006, 20:43
Why GW does not create a new codex or a game(with miniatures not board game) focusing on Horus Heresy? As the popularity of the 30k novels prove, Horus Heresy is very inspiring to the gamers. Imagine marines in ornate armour fighting each other under the shadow of the Primarchs... What great opportunity for new great models too!!!

I've had this idea as well. They don't need to launch a new game, I thought, just do what they did with COD. Release a relevant rulebook, a few marine upgrade sprues, and the odd model for other races (maybe another IG regiment, there are never enough)...sorted.

However, I don't think GW should do it. A supplement like that would exclude players with certain armies, said players would probably play using their armies anyway, and the game would degrade into a 40k/30k bastardization.
Also, 30k is like a mythological era to 40k, when the emperor walked amongst men, and the space marine legions numbered their members by the thousands. I think that playing games set in that era would demystify it somewhat. 30k is more mysterious and enchanting from a distance.

Nah, better keep things clear and focused.

Alessander
12-09-2006, 20:46
the HH board game came out in 1992 at the same time as the Armageddon board game. Uses the exact same rules. Unlike most GW games, both games use cardboard counters instead of minis. The "Doom of the ELdar" board game came out same time too, similar rules but a little different.

Battle for Armageddon (depicting the first Ork invasion of the planet) and the expansion game (Chaos Attack, depicting Angron's attack on Armageddon) are available in PDF format from the GW aramgeddon3 campaign site.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
12-09-2006, 21:10
I believe to remember that Al Pacino was the inspiration for the cover on the the HERESY game....have read that years ago in a WD issue were they interviewed the GW artworkers. Just as a note.... (just look in the blond marines face ;) ) GW would be blessing all Marine players by just having JES GOODWIN designing a sprue which includes the frontside body armor of MK.II, Mk.III, Mk.III and Mk.IV as well as Mk.V and some of the pinned shoulderpads and of course heads. This could be sold togehter with all regular sprues in the Marine-range. They do it with BlackTemplar upgrades-why not with HorusHeresy styled parts :(

norwegianpuma
12-09-2006, 21:56
If the GW rule sets can feature a C'tan, they feature a Primarch.

Don't start that train of thought!
...D'oh. You already have. I agree with the others who are against it. :eek:

The C'tan are IMO way (!) too weak to be, ahem, "Star Gods of Untold Power". I've cut one down with a Chaplain! That's very far from "Untold Power", if you ask me. :wtf:

If GW releases Primarchs, everybody will think that they are stupidly weak, compared to the fluff.

Bloody Gauntlet
12-09-2006, 21:59
the HH board game came out in 1992 at the same time as the Armageddon board game. Uses the exact same rules. Unlike most GW games, both games use cardboard counters instead of minis. The "Doom of the ELdar" board game came out same time too, similar rules but a little different.

Battle for Armageddon (depicting the first Ork invasion of the planet) and the expansion game (Chaos Attack, depicting Angron's attack on Armageddon) are available in PDF format from the GW aramgeddon3 campaign site.

Exactly. And it was great fun to (re)play the battle for Terra and for the Emperor's palace. There was a WD-expansion for the teleport attack on Horus' battle barge, too.
We used to play a 40K-scenario as prelude to important attacks and awarded a board-game-modifier for the winner. Now that was history in the making!

BrainFireBob
12-09-2006, 22:01
They may- considering that they're now doing "canon" Heresy books, do a Heresy-era line. That would be a mistake. No-one would be happy, and it could potentially break the game, unless it wasn't 40K scale. (I can hear the kids- and a few adults old enough to know better- whining that they should be able to use their Primarch in the campaign of the month because they *might* have survived, they *could* have faced the C'tan (who weren't awake yet) etc. It also de-values all other units- Space Marines, pffpt. Primarchs are where it's at. And on and on.)

Acolyte
13-09-2006, 01:40
/Wonders how much longer until someone suggests Pre-Heresy Tau...
(Ph34r teh terrifying microbes!)

Anyways, I personally don't think that the Heresy would make a good new game, simply because so much of it is already defined and set in stone, as well as the limited scope. You have the Imperial Army and the Eldar as minor players, and the Good Marines and Evil-Ing Marines as the main players. It would somewhat alienate anybody who's not into any of those factions-anybody who doesn't own one of those armies would have to start anew, and anybody who does will at least have to reform it quite a bit.

A suppliment, ala CoD, however, might not be too bad. I could see some Heresy Upgrade (Downgrade?) sprues being popped out for Marines, and rules/models for some of the Primarchs. Still, because of the relatively small fanbase*, I doubt it'll happen.

*For an idea of what I mean, take CoD. Look how many urban-themed armies there are out there, how many urban tables, urban...everything. Then compare that to the amount of (Pre)-Heresy stuff.

SOTIRIOS
13-09-2006, 10:48
/Wonders how much longer until someone suggests Pre-Heresy Tau...
(Ph34r teh terrifying microbes!)

Anyways, I personally don't think that the Heresy would make a good new game, simply because so much of it is already defined and set in stone, as well as the limited scope. You have the Imperial Army and the Eldar as minor players, and the Good Marines and Evil-Ing Marines as the main players. It would somewhat alienate anybody who's not into any of those factions-anybody who doesn't own one of those armies would have to start anew, and anybody who does will at least have to reform it quite a bit.

A suppliment, ala CoD, however, might not be too bad. I could see some Heresy Upgrade (Downgrade?) sprues being popped out for Marines, and rules/models for some of the Primarchs. Still, because of the relatively small fanbase*, I doubt it'll happen.

*For an idea of what I mean, take CoD. Look how many urban-themed armies there are out there, how many urban tables, urban...everything. Then compare that to the amount of (Pre)-Heresy stuff.

Do you really believe there is a relatively small fanbase for marines and their fallen brethern?More than 80% of 40k players own a marine army either loyal or chaos and all of them would like to have miniatures of the "mythical marines" GW would make a lot of money just from the miniatures...I would like to see Loken,Tarvitz,Torgaddon,Erebus,Bjorn and all of the primarchs(a little bigger than marines) etc in scale and I am certainly not alone...I agree though that the best would be the creation of a codex ala COD...

leonmallett
13-09-2006, 10:55
Whilst in prinicipal part of me would love a HH era game, the thought of Horus or the Emperor being gamed with (let alone the Primarchs) is what would be the problem. Not in a 2/3/4/5000 pt game, or however many points. that is why Epic should be the means of recreating the HH era since the scale of the conflict was huge.

Styles
13-09-2006, 12:34
I think that if they did it should only be marines and their allies as it was only them that were involved in the fighting in the Horus Hersey, Orks, Eldar etc did not take part.

Atherakhia
13-09-2006, 12:38
Whilst in prinicipal part of me would love a HH era game, the thought of Horus or the Emperor being gamed with (let alone the Primarchs) is what would be the problem. Not in a 2/3/4/5000 pt game, or however many points. that is why Epic should be the means of recreating the HH era since the scale of the conflict was huge.

They wouldn't have to supply rules for Horus, The Emperor or the Primarchs. Just don't have them as playable

Just standard 40k rules apply, new model conversion kits (like the space marine chapter kits) and maybe a few new rules for marine jetbikes, etc.

buried_alive
13-09-2006, 12:53
A 31st millenium game would be cool. Set in the Harrowing, the period immediatley after the HH using revised 2nd edition.