PDA

View Full Version : ITT: Throwing axes and javelins.

DisruptorX
12-09-2006, 15:13
Useless or useful. Now, on paper, they look rather horrible. 4/8" range, combined with the penalty for using a ranged weapon while moving. However, I have never actually used them, so I'm asking all you generals out there what you think. Has anyone actually used them outside of a Lizardman force? I'm mainly referring to the option to equip marauder horsemen here.

ardude
12-09-2006, 15:41
javalines and trowing axes aint that bad. becouse they are throwing weapons you don't suffer panaltys for moving and shooting and no panaltys for over half range. so they alwais hit on basic bs.
so marouders with throwing axes will have a s4 attack who alwais hits on 4+.
not bad, not bad at all..

Mephistofeles
12-09-2006, 17:44
Are you sure they don't count penalties for moving?

ardude
12-09-2006, 18:01
posetif
( or lotsa judges have been cheating:P)

Stouty
12-09-2006, 18:16
Centigor=Strength 4
Throwing axes=Strength+1

Strength 5 throwing axes away! There's got to be fun to be had with that right?

rhaberova
13-09-2006, 19:05
Centigor=Strength 4
Throwing axes=Strength+1

Strength 5 throwing axes away! There's got to be fun to be had with that right?

I could never understand why they gave throwing axes to centigors who move so quickly. Do you have any special tactics or do you just run 10 or so inches to get within 6" to unleash 5 shots and then get charged? I wish they had a longer range. what is this 4/8" range? I thought they where 6" or did they shorten the range?

ZomboCom
13-09-2006, 19:10
As thrown weapons they have no penalties for moving or firing at long range (though they still may not march and shoot unless fast cav). This makes them pretty useful.

btw Throwing axes have a 6 inch range, not 4.

ZomboCom
13-09-2006, 19:11
javalines and trowing axes aint that bad. becouse they are throwing weapons you don't suffer panaltys for moving and shooting and no panaltys for over half range. so they alwais hit on basic bs.
so marouders with throwing axes will have a s4 attack who alwais hits on 4+.
not bad, not bad at all..

Not quite. They won't always hit on a 4+, since they do take all other modifiers into account, like shooting at skirmishers or at units in cover.

Stouty
13-09-2006, 19:55
Remember they are still fast cavalry; you dart behind the enemy, marchblock them and strip a couple ranks of them before the reach combat.

Great. 110pts per 5 man unit with shields and light armour (do they get handweapon and shield bonus since they're not mounted per se?). I promise you with a bit of luck and skill they will earn back their points with interest.

druchii
13-09-2006, 20:42
Remember they are still fast cavalry; you dart behind the enemy, marchblock them and strip a couple ranks of them before the reach combat.

Great. 110pts per 5 man unit with shields and light armour (do they get handweapon and shield bonus since they're not mounted per se?). I promise you with a bit of luck and skill they will earn back their points with interest.

Centigors count as models on foot for the purposes of handweapon and shield bonuses.

Did you notice that the same special rule also states that centigors ALSO benifit from the fighting with two additional hand wepaons special rule?

Although it's hotly debated, one can make a convincing argument that throwing axes count as a hand weapon.

Disclaimer: All rules are pulled from the 6TH edition rulebook.

d

DisruptorX
13-09-2006, 21:09
what is this 4/8" range? I thought they where 6" or did they shorten the range?

They didn't, the newest rulebook I actually own is 5th edition. >.>

My main army is skaven, so I never bothered to check newer rulebooks for any changes in throwing axes.

Griefbringer
15-09-2006, 13:04
I would consider them as useful for skirmishers or fast cavalry used as march blockers - hang close to the enemy outside their charge arc, follow them up and pepper them with the thrown weapons to cause a small trickle of casualties.

In this role, the short range is not a problem since you have to be within 8" to block the march moves, and the ability to move and shoot without penalty means that they can follow up the enemy and keep on throwing the sharp implements without a penalty to hit.

Pravus
15-09-2006, 13:38
Centigors aren't fast cavalry, so throwing axes are slightly less useful on them than on Marauder horsemen, who, in my experience are the best exponents of the throwing axe barrage. They only really work on highly mobile troops with the ability to close rapidly - hence fast cavalry. I wish wolf riders could use javelins :(

I should also point out that, when using throwing axe equipped troops, it is compulsory to shout "one hundred and eeeiiiiiiiiiiiggggghhhhh-ttyyyyy" when hitting with all of your shots. Its in the rules ... I read it, oh yes.

haberova
15-09-2006, 19:58
Centigors aren't fast cavalry, so throwing axes are slightly less useful on them than on Marauder horsemen, ...
Ya they're useless with centigors. I wish they were fast cav or skirmished. I think it's Bull.. that they aren't fast cav. Who is more in tune with their mount than a centigor who is their mount!!!

Donga666
15-09-2006, 20:49

With Sh & LA are they still 'fast-cav' ???

IMHO (feel free to disagree) they are an utter waste of points. In the case of Marauder horse, run them with just a Musician and flails for march blocks, rear charges and mage/warmachine hunting.

I persisted with throwing axes for ages, dabbled with javalins and came to the conclusion ...........they suck!

Tooling up MOST fast cav is asking for much lost VP's. The only exception is tooled up gobbos on wolves, but they are still VERY cheap.

But if they ring your bell, run with it :D

Do fast Cav still remove rank bonus in 7th ed?

ardude
15-09-2006, 20:52
ofcourse they will still remove rank bonuses, what's the whole use of them if they didn't?