PDA

View Full Version : Marauder army?

skabradisdead
12-09-2006, 22:40
Hello all...

Long time 40k player and lurker...

Getting into fantasy and I really like the kurgen all marauder theme from riders of the dead...

Is this a really stupid idea tactically? I am not much on fantasy yet and am looking for a good starter army...

Lots of marauders, hounds, mounted marauders and maybe some beastmen chariots (as marauder chariots)... A "shaman" or two...Maybe one unit of knights as a hero's retinue..? maybe some heavily converted marauders as a beastherd?

Any chaos lords have some sound advice to share?

Voltaire
12-09-2006, 22:46
It is perfectly viable and quite effective as an alternate 'horde' army. My only real advice to you is if you want to do a marauder horde, get Vardek Crom as your General.

skabradisdead
13-09-2006, 00:57
Where do I get the rules for him besides in an old white dwarf?

metro_gnome
13-09-2006, 01:38
Storm of Chaos campaign book...

and here...
http://uk.games-workshop.com/hordesofchaos/special-characters/8/

DirtJumper
13-09-2006, 02:45
Or in the Chaos section of the GW website, under the special character rules entry on the page.

Shaitan
13-09-2006, 07:46
The Marauder theme is a great theme!

I have been experiencing with it too and I find it a very nice theme to play with. Expecially in low point games where you may not have many points to spend on the elite units. And in the big point games you can come up with a great horde of Marauders that will scare off most enemies.

Lots of marauders, hounds, mounted marauders and maybe some beastmen chariots (as marauder chariots)... A "shaman" or two...Maybe one unit of knights as a hero's retinue..? maybe some heavily converted marauders as a beastherd?

Those are about the same units I have been using. And what to think of the DOW 'Norse Marauders'? They are frenzied for just 1 point more! And Crom is indeed the best lord for a Marauder horde!

The only drawback is that you have to paint tons of Marauders.....;)

Venerable_Bede
14-09-2006, 00:35
I like the idea too (It also occurred to me after reading Riders of the Dead).

The only drawback is the Marauder models. Not hairy enough and not enough variation.

Shaitan
14-09-2006, 08:07
Yeah, painting flesh is not the easiest thing to do...

DisruptorX
14-09-2006, 08:22
I like your idea of commandeering beastmen chariots so much that I'm going to have to steal it. ;)

Sambojin
14-09-2006, 09:26
Strangley enough, the 6th edition starter set 2hw orcs make great looking marauders. Just cut the neck and add any grizzly or helmeted head. Then cut off one weapon, add a chaotic looking shield and voila! A big, pschotic looking berserker, not some freakish gym junkie. I used chaos warrior helmets (the original 6th ed ones) and shields. They look just like "hunch-backs in the making" so fitted with the original CW well.

Also, if you're going to take a very marauder heavy force I'd suggest taking a heap of slaneeshi spawn. While it restricts you to slaneesh or undivided (the best marauder forces) it gives you huge strategic options. Not only that, the models are essentially free. Just raid your bits box and melt the whole lot together.