PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf Cavalry Army - First Attempt

shartmatau
12-09-2006, 23:46
So I want to make a Dark Elf army. They have a lot of great units and its hard to choose, but my first thought is to make a cavalry army. I really like the two cavalry units available to DE and in combinations I'm sure they can work great. I do want to have a unit of harpies but am having trouble fitting them in without losing the effectiveness of the Cold One Knights and Chariots.

I would appreciate some advice but if you suggest taking a unit also suggest what I could remove to make the points fit. Thanks and enjoy.

Dark Elf List

1 Dark Elf Noble @ 175 Pts
General, Blade of Spite, Armor of Darkness
Dark Pegasus

1 Sorceress @ 157 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
Dark Steed
Tome of Furion

1 Sorceress @ 162 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
1 Dark Steed
1 Darkstar Cloak

6 Dark Riders @ 172 Pts
Champ, standard bearer
Repeater Crossbow, Spear, Light Armor

6 Dark Riders @ 172 Pts
Champ, standard bearer

6 Dark Riders @ 172 Pts
Champ, standard bearer

6 Dark Riders @ 172 Pts
Champ, standard bearer

6 Cold One Knights @ 244 Pts
Full Command
Hand Weapon; Lance, Heavy Armor, Shield
1 War Banner

6 Cold One Knights @ 244 Pts
Full Command
Hand Weapon; Lance, Heavy Armor, Shield
Banner of Murder

1 Cold One Chariot @ 97 Pts
Chariot; Scythed Wheels

1 Cold One Chariot @ 97 Pts
Chariot; Scythed Wheels

Total: 2014

metro_gnome
13-09-2006, 00:01
do the dark riders need full commands?
might find the points for your harpies if you drop all the standards and the 2 champs from the units without characters...
i dont play dark elves... but that where i would look first...

shartmatau
13-09-2006, 01:31
Alright, I take out musicians from dark riders and make the high noble a regular noble. I changed his mount to a dark pegasus, then I can fit a unit of 10 harpies.

editing list to show changes.

Vet.Eter
13-09-2006, 01:34
in the dark riders take the standards and the champs and reduce the number of the units to 5. now you may be able to put 2 units of 6 harpies I guess

Voltaire
13-09-2006, 07:47
Musicians are a necessity on Dark Riders, NOT Standards and Champions. You want to be harrying the enemy flanks with those expensive fast cavalry and a musician helps with their +1 to rally.

Shaitan
13-09-2006, 07:49
I would drop the Dark Riders to units of 5 and give them only a musician. That's really all that fast cavalry needs.

This should give you some room to put in Harpies...

General Veers
13-09-2006, 12:50
This can be a fun army to play if you have the right attitude. It's very reliant on dice rolls so knowing that this is an unreliable army going in a game is important, at least to me it was. I've played with almost the same make-up as the army listed above back in 6th edition! ;)

I can't reiterate what others suggested enough: Drop champ & standards for the Dark Riders. Always include musicians for them.

The noble should be with a unit on a Dark Steed or probably better on a Cold One in one of the Cold One Knight units.

Your noble is going to die very quickly against experienced opponents if on a pegasus. Since you have no ranks, or any units that can handle a lot of wounds, an experienced opponent with a shooty army is going to do the following:

1. Target the Noble, asap.
2. Target the Dark Riders, again asap.
3. Get around to targeting the Cold One Knights, kill two in each unit, cause a break test at least. Taking a stupidity test AND a break test is not a good combination, trust me.

With my Lizardman army or my forthcoming O&G army or my Night Goblin army I would do the following against you:

March straight at you.

Your army has no staying power. You will not get a flank charge on me, even against my Lizardman army but most especially not against my forthcoming O&G and Night Goblins. I'm going to have full rank bonus, you won't. You need to rely on the dice more than your opponent with this army. It's very unpredictable and risky.

I was much more successful with a different make-up of an all cavalry force. I'd be happy to post it if you want me to. However, your force is certainly viable, just risky and that has it's own appeal. ;)

Venkh
13-09-2006, 13:17
How did:
175 noble
157 sorc
162 sorc
172 dr
172 dr
172 dr
172 dr
244 COK wb
264 COK bom (incorrectly pointed in your previous list)
97 coc
97 coc
add up to 2014 points?

Your list only comes to 1884!

Take all of the advice already given and you have a grand total of 296 points to spend. There is absolutely loads you can do with this but i would suggest:

Get 6 harpies
2 dispel scrolls
Another mounted level 2 sorceress with seal of Ghrond

That will take your list to 1999pts

You will have a stonking magic phase (check out the new shadow and death lores to see why:evilgrin: ) but you will really need to look after your casters

Be warned though, this will be a tough army to use. good luck!

shartmatau
13-09-2006, 13:35
hmm... I forgot to add in the unit of 10 harpies, although that still leaves some points leftover. Anywho, I really haven't used fast cavalry. You all say that they only need a musician for rallying. So I'm guessing they are used primarily as a target for chargers, then flee. Setting up the charge for me. If I place several units about, then I can get the charge and still get a flank charge.

I was concerned about the noble on a pegasus and frankly I'm not too big on it. Its just cheaper than a chariot. Maybe I'll put the noble back in a chariot and add another sorceress. I will have to look through my book again and figure out where I missed those points.

@General Veers - I'd be happy to see your army list. As I said this is my first attempt with DE and with a Cav Army, so any help is appreciated. Overall I'm concerned with winning all the time and I assume that any army with low model count and specialized units will be difficult to play with. Thats the fun of it.

Cheers and thanks for the advice.

General Veers
13-09-2006, 14:01
...Overall I'm concerned with winning all the time...Did you really mean this?

shartmatau
13-09-2006, 14:02
haha no, I meant to say not concerned. Thanks.

shartmatau
15-09-2006, 15:22
Ok I have checked my points again and figured out a list that I am liking very much. Now I am just wondering how effective people think it would be and what problems I may see against specific units/unit types from other armies. Basically what kinds of problems should I look out for as a low model count cavalry army?

Here is my list -

Noble mounted on a Cold One - 156
Armor of Darkness
Blade of Spite
Battle Standard Bearer

Sorceress mounted on Dark Steed - 142
Level 2 upgrade

Level 2 upgrade

Level 2 upgrade

5 Dark Riders - 141
xbows, musician, champion

5 Dark Riders - 141

5 Dark Riders - 141

5 Dark Riders - 141

6 Cold Ones - 219
Full Command

6 Cold Ones - 219
Full Command

Chariot - 95

Chariot - 95

9 Harpies - 117

This comes to 1891 points. Leaving me with 110 points to add some items to the sorceresses (sorceri?) anywho, adding a power die, a dispel die, maybe a bound doombolt? If there are points after that I think I would add more harpies to the unit.

Venkh
15-09-2006, 15:51
I would change the noble a bit.

If you want him on a cold one you should get rid of his battle standard and give one of your cold one units the warbanner.

You should definately ditch the armour of darkness and give him

Heavy Armour
Enchanted Shield
Sea Dragon Cloak

With a cold one that grants you a 0+ save in melee and a -1 save vs missiles. Much better than the AOD and 5 points cheaper too! Give your noble the seal of Ghrond for extra magic defence.

Give your chariots spears, it makes them much nore effective on the charge.

Champions in dark rider units are a total waste you should save the points

Definately get the banner of murder on your other unit of cold ones.

You should now kit out your sorceresses with items. I would go for:
2-3 scrolls
Darkstar Cloak
Tome Of furion

You should have sufficient points to cover that lot.

Good Luck!

frankthetank
16-09-2006, 21:35
This can be a fun army to play if you have the right attitude. It's very reliant on dice rolls so knowing that this is an unreliable army going in a game is important, at least to me it was. I've played with almost the same make-up as the army listed above back in 6th edition! ;)

I can't reiterate what others suggested enough: Drop champ & standards for the Dark Riders. Always include musicians for them.

The noble should be with a unit on a Dark Steed or probably better on a Cold One in one of the Cold One Knight units.

Your noble is going to die very quickly against experienced opponents if on a pegasus. Since you have no ranks, or any units that can handle a lot of wounds, an experienced opponent with a shooty army is going to do the following:

1. Target the Noble, asap.
2. Target the Dark Riders, again asap.
3. Get around to targeting the Cold One Knights, kill two in each unit, cause a break test at least. Taking a stupidity test AND a break test is not a good combination, trust me.

With my Lizardman army or my forthcoming O&G army or my Night Goblin army I would do the following against you:

March straight at you.

Your army has no staying power. You will not get a flank charge on me, even against my Lizardman army but most especially not against my forthcoming O&G and Night Goblins. I'm going to have full rank bonus, you won't. You need to rely on the dice more than your opponent with this army. It's very unpredictable and risky.

I was much more successful with a different make-up of an all cavalry force. I'd be happy to post it if you want me to. However, your force is certainly viable, just risky and that has it's own appeal. ;)

i too would love to see the list you use in 6th ed